Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
"5,000MB/s read/write speeds in low temperatures" is slightly ominous, but I suppose it should be obvious that these PCIe 4.0 controllers are going to get crazy hot when pushing hard. I wonder if this is using the Phison E16 or something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Bone question:

If you use Samsung Magician on an SSD in Windows and adjust the over-provisioning to 20%, then you shut down, took the drive and plugged it into a Linux box to reformat it, you don't have to worry about the over-provisioning you added in Windows, right? Linux just sees the whole block storage and doesn't care about the provisioning?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is this

Samsung MU-PA1T0B/EU Portable SSD T5 1TB https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074M774TW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ncA6CbY259CC4

a good purchase for the Xbox for loading games faster?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Buy something like a Crucial MX500 & an USB enclosure, it'll be way cheaper and you'll have a 2.5" SSD you can use more flexibly.

Personally, I use my SSD internally on my Xbox - but you need to partition it using a special script for that to work, as the Xbox drive isn't designed to be user serviceable.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lambert posted:

Buy something like a Crucial MX500 & an USB enclosure, it'll be way cheaper and you'll have a 2.5" SSD you can use more flexibly.

Personally, I use my SSD internally on my Xbox - but you need to partition it using a special script for that to work, as the Xbox drive isn't designed to be user serviceable.

How did you do this?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How did you do this?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/xbox-one-internal-hard-drive-upgrade-or-repair-build-any-size-drive-that-works-on-any-console.496212/

You don't need to copy any files from an existing installation, the process works as follows:
Partition the SSD using the script
Download the Xbox OS to an USB drive (available on Microsoft's website)
Initialize the SSD using the Xbox Recovery menu that will pop up automatically (you have to manually turn off the system, wait a few minutes to be safe)
Install the Xbox OS from your USB drive

Bonus:
The boot animation will be missing; either download it from the internet & copy it to your SSD or wait for the next system update to restore it.

I've had an SSD in my Xbox One X for about a year now: Realize this isn't officially supported, but I haven't run into any problems.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 25, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also hybrid SSHDs are fairly good on current consoles (because they're not fast enough to take full advantage of SSDs). Caveat that SSHDs these days are only a valid price choice if you want a big 1-2TB drive, and that if you plan to carry this external forward to next-gen stuff a SSD will be better.

apropos man posted:

Bone question:

If you use Samsung Magician on an SSD in Windows and adjust the over-provisioning to 20%, then you shut down, took the drive and plugged it into a Linux box to reformat it, you don't have to worry about the over-provisioning you added in Windows, right? Linux just sees the whole block storage and doesn't care about the provisioning?

Magician over-provisioning just reduces the current partition size, which means that any drive tool can see that extra space and use it. So if your method to reformat in linux is delete the old partition table and start from scratch then yes.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Anyone want to venture a guess at what's causing this on my EX920? Seeing issues with both HD Sentinel and CrystalDiskInfo. This drive is only a couple weeks old.

edit: Error showed up the same day I pushed Win10 to the spring 2019 patch, which may be somehow related?

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 25, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Anyone want to venture a guess at what's causing this on my EX920? Seeing issues with both HD Sentinel and CrystalDiskInfo. This drive is only a couple weeks old.

edit: Error showed up the same day I pushed Win10 to the spring 2019 patch, which may be somehow related?

The probability of this being related to Windows updates approaches 100% nowadays, nevertheless you'd have to show us the SMART attributes page to see what's triggering the alerts.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Atomizer posted:

The probability of this being related to Windows updates approaches 100% nowadays, nevertheless you'd have to show us the SMART attributes page to see what's triggering the alerts.

Hmm, this doesn't look right at all.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah that's kind of what I expected: the system isn't reading any SMART data from the drive, which might very well be another fuckup by MS although I haven't experienced this one myself. It might be a little difficult with an NVMe drive, but your next step might be to try it in another system to see if that configuration isn't borked yet and can see SMART stats. You could also try getting updated software/firmware for that drive. Other than that, if it is due to a Windows update, you'd have to do a little more research there and see if there's a hotfix, etc. Ultimately though, I'm pretty sure the drive is just fine.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Yeah. Download Ubuntu or something. Use Rufus to burn it to a USB stick (https://rufus.ie/). Boot it and open a terminal.

code:
lsblk
This will show what your drives are called. Your nvme should be something like /dev/nvme0n1

code:
sudo smartctl -i /dev/nvme0n1    (or whatever the device name is on your drive) 
If smartctl isn't installed, which I think it is on the latest Ubuntu ISO.
code:
sudo apt install smartmontools
Then repeat step 2.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Disappointed that gigabyte gen4 m.2 doesn’t have multicolour LEDs dripping off it.

At least it has a gaudy heatsink!

What has gen4 m.2s anyway, the new AMD boards?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Who makes a decent m.2 SATA to SATA adapter? Need to clone my HD to a nvme drive I have coming.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Electronaut posted:

Who makes a decent m.2 SATA to SATA adapter? Need to clone my HD to a nvme drive I have coming.

It's a 100% passive connect-the-wires-to-other-wires thing, get whatever. Something like this might be useful if you want to continue to use the m.2 drive as a SSD elsewhere, but otherwise just get a cheapo bare PCB adapter.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

There are plenty of these sort of things available:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glodenbrid...s%2C215&sr=8-10

I bought one pretty much the same as that one. Just power down, insert your m.2 in and image it to another SATA drive connected to your PC.

Then power off and put your new drive in and image it back over.

I have explained it in a rather simplistic way (I'm tired), but you get the idea.

We used one of those cheap cards at work to image one of our colleagues laptop when his screen broke and I went ahead and bought one for personal use. They're cheap but they do the job.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Klyith posted:

It's a 100% passive connect-the-wires-to-other-wires thing, get whatever. Something like this might be useful if you want to continue to use the m.2 drive as a SSD elsewhere, but otherwise just get a cheapo bare PCB adapter.

That's what I thought (electrically). I need just need to swap from one to other and the one that's coming out of this desktop is going into a laptop, shelving the one coming out of the laptop, so no need for the permamounting.

Thanks!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The Electronaut posted:

That's what I thought (electrically). I need just need to swap from one to other and the one that's coming out of this desktop is going into a laptop, shelving the one coming out of the laptop, so no need for the permamounting.

Thanks!

Here's an interesting one. It's an enclosure that turns an M.2 SATA drive into a 2.5" SATA drive, but also has a USB connection so you can use it as an external drive. If you're literally just putting the thing on a shelf it might be useful to turn it into a blazing fast external drive.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...gateway&sr=8-10

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

priznat posted:

What has gen4 m.2s anyway, the new AMD boards?

Yes, if you use the 3000-series Ryzen CPUs with X570 motherboards (both coming out in early July), you can have PCIe 4.0 on all of the slots on the motherboard, including M.2.

Speaking of Gen4 NVMe SSDs, here's another one. Corsair drive with Phison E16 controller, quoted top sequential read spead of 4950 MB/sec, big-rear end heatsink that may allow it to actually reach its max speed for more than two seconds at a time.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but like, Sequential speeds isn't what's holding back the PC space anymore even with NVME drives. It's a mixture of Windows and 4K random. That's what so good about X-Point SSDs is they have almost 4 times as much IOPs 4k random read speed than any other SSD on the market. A samsung 970 pro has approx. 15k IOPs where as a 905p does 65k IOPs. Most SSDs will perform the same at QD16 in terms of 4k random, but the majority of a user's experience is all going to be QD1 to QD2 at most.

Now all these drives are so fast that their essentially always waiting on Windows. Now yes you can use Linux, but gaming just isn't one button push and play yet on linux yet. Manufacturers need to stop advertising the sequential speed as the main focus point and instead turn to QD1 4k random IOPs.

And with the advent of PCI-E 4 we haven't even reached the maximum speed of PCI-E 3.0 with QD1 4k speeds. We need newer SSD tech to help evolve the speed of random.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 28, 2019

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I believe the recommended configuration for Optane is either polling mode or hybrid polling because interrupt mode can't keep up

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, the best way I've found to explain it to people who ask me "should I get one of the new kinds of SSDs" is that SATA SSDs are "a nice sedan" compared to the "commuter bus" an HDD is. You can get a Camry well past 100mph, but there's a speed limiter.

NVMe drives are supercars. Amazing in raw performance, if that's what you need/want. What we all should *want* is a drive that performs like an Audi RS7 - something that has the benefits of that "nice sedan" but also the raw loving melt-your-face speed that the supercar has. But until Optane and Z-NAND hit the consumer space with decent products at realistic pricing, we've got either/or.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Of course, right now if that nice sedan is $25k then supercars are $28-30k, except the one with the fancy name which goes for $65k despite being only marginally better than the $30k model.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Stickman posted:

Of course, right now if that nice sedan is $25k then supercars are $28-30k, except the one with the fancy name which goes for $65k despite being only marginally better than the $30k model.

It's not a perfect analogy. :shrug:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, an HDD is a rusted out car wreck at the side of the road.

NVMe drives are barely more expensive these days, but make for a far cleaner setup with their lack of cabling etc. Few reasons not to get one.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It's too bad SSD pricing hadn't bottomed out yet when I upgraded my laptop or I probably would be using NVMe instead of SATA right now. :sigh:

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

SlayVus posted:

Yeah, but like, Sequential speeds isn't what's holding back the PC space anymore even with NVME drives. It's a mixture of Windows and 4K random. That's what so good about X-Point SSDs is they have almost 4 times as much IOPs 4k random read speed than any other SSD on the market. A samsung 970 pro has approx. 15k IOPs where as a 905p does 65k IOPs. Most SSDs will perform the same at QD16 in terms of 4k random, but the majority of a user's experience is all going to be QD1 to QD2 at most.

Now all these drives are so fast that their essentially always waiting on Windows. Now yes you can use Linux, but gaming just isn't one button push and play yet on linux yet. Manufacturers need to stop advertising the sequential speed as the main focus point and instead turn to QD1 4k random IOPs.

And with the advent of PCI-E 4 we haven't even reached the maximum speed of PCI-E 3.0 with QD1 4k speeds. We need newer SSD tech to help evolve the speed of random.

Yeah, to be clear, I really don't think it's worth investing in a PCIe 4.0 platform and an SSD to match it. X570 motherboards seem like they're going to be expensive (the chipset itself is rumored to cost around $50 and then it needs active cooling to deal with PCIe 4.0 NVMe RAID configurations without melting, and you also need to improve the quality of the motherboard PCB to maintain signal integrity for PCIe 4.0), and there's no reason to imagine that the first 4.0 SSDs on the market aren't going to command significant price premiums over the many excellent 3.0 drives currently on the market for cheap. And most of the time you can't really even tell the difference between SATA and PCIe 3.0, and I see no real reason to imagine that will improve much with 4.0 (if you look at this early CDM benchmark of a Phison E16 preproduction drive, you can see that while the sequential speeds have improved, the random speed has hardly budged from what we see on 3.0 drives today).

Kairos fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 28, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's not a perfect analogy. :shrug:

The analogy is good, I just wanted to add that decent NVMe drives are so very close in price to good SATA SSDs right now. :iiaca:

Lambert posted:

Also, an HDD is a rusted out car wreck at the side of the road.

NVMe drives are barely more expensive these days, but make for a far cleaner setup with their lack of cabling etc. Few reasons not to get one.

HDDs definitely have a hole in muffler!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Oops, nevermind

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One thing I really hope any reviewers who have one of these gen4 ssds on an amd platform do is check if the link goes into recovery and retrains and how often it does it if it does.

PCIE can be linked up but if it’s borderline due to the analog on the devices and noise from connector and/or traces it could retrain a lot possibly causing stability issues and lowering the throughput.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Just to piss on the parade, one thing that does irk me about NVMe is the usage of PCIe lanes on a lot of consumer boards. Over the weekend I thought I'd set up a nice little ZFS array (3 SATA SSD's) on my ASRock B450 Pro 4 and I found out that because I had both NMVe slots populated it cuts out the last two SATA ports. So I had to remove one of my NVMe's in order to use all my SATA. I WANT MAXIMUM DRIVE USAGE, GOSHDARNIT! I just wish that "enthusiast" consumer boards had enough lanes so that you could fill 'em right up to the hilt and there'd be enough lanes to go round.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

More boards need pcie switches :getin:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

Just to piss on the parade, one thing that does irk me about NVMe is the usage of PCIe lanes on a lot of consumer boards. Over the weekend I thought I'd set up a nice little ZFS array (3 SATA SSD's) on my ASRock B450 Pro 4 and I found out that because I had both NMVe slots populated it cuts out the last two SATA ports. So I had to remove one of my NVMe's in order to use all my SATA. I WANT MAXIMUM DRIVE USAGE, GOSHDARNIT! I just wish that "enthusiast" consumer boards had enough lanes so that you could fill 'em right up to the hilt and there'd be enough lanes to go round.

I can do 3 nvme drives, 6 SATA drives, one u.2, and I can do pci-e bifurcation to add additional nvme drives. I think the max I can do though is only one 16x slot to 4x4, but I have 4 full size slots 16/8/16/8 + 1 4x slot and 1 1x slot. So I can do 3 AIC SSDs, a 4 slot NVME to pci-e card and a graphics card. So I can have 17/18 drives not including if I wanted to make a RAM disk.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

SlayVus posted:

I can do 3 nvme drives, 6 SATA drives, one u.2, and I can do pci-e bifurcation to add additional nvme drives. I think the max I can do though is only one 16x slot to 4x4, but I have 4 full size slots 16/8/16/8 + 1 4x slot and 1 1x slot. So I can do 3 AIC SSDs, a 4 slot NVME to pci-e card and a graphics card. So I can have 17/18 drives not including if I wanted to make a RAM disk.

Which chipset is that?!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
WD is doing a promo, free Black HDD with Black NVMe SSD. Decided to take them up on that one and then I realized that my existing M.2 SSD is SATA-based, and only the PCI-e Gen3 slot on my motherboard supports SATA-based drives. The other slot is Gen2, so I guess I'm just gonna have to run it slower and then get an enclosure or something for the SATA based one? idk lol

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

Which chipset is that?!

Threadripper ASUS Zenith Extreme.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

SlayVus posted:

Threadripper ASUS Zenith Extreme.

Nice! Which CPU? What do you use it for? Actual scientific work or just lots of VM's and containers?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

apropos man posted:

Nice! Which CPU? What do you use it for? Actual scientific work or just lots of VM's and containers?

1950x, gaming and streaming. I just wanted it. I would like to do a VM with unRaid so I can still do gaming with hardware passthrough and a VM/docker for plex. Use another VM as the streamer PC like you might do with two different PCs. I could add up to 2 more video cards so I could have three PCs all running at once. I already have a PCI-E USB 3.0 card that has a USB host chip per USB port so I can run each host chip on 1 VM each and use a USB hub to add the USB devices per VM.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 28, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

WD is doing a promo, free Black HDD with Black NVMe SSD. Decided to take them up on that one and then I realized that my existing M.2 SSD is SATA-based, and only the PCI-e Gen3 slot on my motherboard supports SATA-based drives. The other slot is Gen2, so I guess I'm just gonna have to run it slower and then get an enclosure or something for the SATA based one? idk lol

Get a PCIE adapter and plug it into a regular slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Klyith posted:

Get a PCIE adapter and plug it into a regular slot?

Yesssss this is exactly the thing I was thinking of when I said "enclosure." A PCI-e add-on card is perfect.