Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Every now and then, maybe once or twice a month, I'll start my computer up and Firefox will restore my previous session, usually blasting youtube much to my surprise.

In about:config I have resume from crash, resume session once, and resuming after os restart all set to false but yet this keeps happening. Is there another option I'm missing that I need to disable to keep this from happening? Or is Windows itself somehow saving my Firefox session?

I'm not sure if its ever done this on a restart, as I pretty much never restart my computer. Just full shutdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Every now and then, maybe once or twice a month, I'll start my computer up and Firefox will restore my previous session, usually blasting youtube much to my surprise.

In about :config I have resume from crash, resume session once, and resuming after os restart all set to false but yet this keeps happening. Is there another option I'm missing that I need to disable to keep this from happening? Or is Windows itself somehow saving my Firefox session?

I'm not sure if its ever done this on a restart, as I pretty much never restart my computer. Just full shutdowns.

Quick googling:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/restore-previous-browsing-session-in-firefox

suggests firefox will helpfully restore the session after a reboot.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Thanks, I'll give those a try. It may be a while until I find out if it doesn't work.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So maybe I'm behind the times, but I just found out about this today and figured I'd pass it on. Apparently Mozilla is planning to eventually encrypt all DNS lookups over HTTPS, which is nice in theory, but in practice they're doing this ignoring your OS's DNS and sending all DNS request to Cloudflare. Some people have privacy issues with this, I'm more concerned with the technical implications of Firefox using a different DNS than everything else on the system should you need to troubleshoot anything, or should Cloudflare's DNS go down.

Right now this should still be off unless you're one of the randomly-selected Studies people unknowingly using it, you can force it off with a about :config setting, or point it toward Google or another HTTPS-aware DNS if you're so inclined.
https://blog.usejournal.com/getting-started-with-dns-over-https-on-firefox-e9b5fc865a43

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Knormal posted:

So maybe I'm behind the times, but I just found out about this today and figured I'd pass it on. Apparently Mozilla is planning to eventually encrypt all DNS lookups over HTTPS, which is nice in theory, but in practice they're doing this ignoring your OS's DNS and sending all DNS request to Cloudflare. Some people have privacy issues with this, I'm more concerned with the technical implications of Firefox using a different DNS than everything else on the system should you need to troubleshoot anything, or should Cloudflare's DNS go down.

Right now this should still be off unless you're one of the randomly-selected Studies people unknowingly using it, you can force it off with a about :config setting, or point it toward Google or another HTTPS-aware DNS if you're so inclined.
https://blog.usejournal.com/getting-started-with-dns-over-https-on-firefox-e9b5fc865a43

Thanks for pointing that out, that's a thing I'm really not comfortable with.
I think it's incredibly ironic that that usejournal site says Google can do no evil while just this past year it's come to light several times that they're storing and processing data people didn't even want them to store or didn't even know they were doing it.

Also, I didn't even check in Firefox 66, but in 67 there's an option to use system proxy settings in the connection settings. I'd already set that feature to 5 in the about :config immediately after you posted that and it retained the setting when I updated.

What it didn't retain was me turning off extension recommendations and now also feature recommendations, so I guess go through your preferences after you've updated.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
:agreed:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh wow they put a mini-clippy in the address bar now, I noticed this when searching something on youtube. Thanks for allowing me to turn that off, Firefox.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i watch a lot of baseball via mlb.tv, which is a streaming service provided by mlb. since switching to firefox, whenever i full screen the stream, the stream demonstrates this...minorly glitchy effect. it's not subtle, but it's not overt. it just sort of streams, and then every half second glitches back to a frame or two from a half second ago. it does this constantly, but only in full screen mode, and only in firefox. in chrome, the feed runs seamlessly. and in firefox with the stream, at any size, in any window, also runs seamlessly. it's just whenever i full screen it.

any ideas what might be up here? i've tried closing all other applications, and also the most memory-intensive tabs. it still does it, and i'm not really sure where to begin diagnosing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

so i watch a lot of baseball via mlb.tv, which is a streaming service provided by mlb. since switching to firefox, whenever i full screen the stream, the stream demonstrates this...minorly glitchy effect. it's not subtle, but it's not overt. it just sort of streams, and then every half second glitches back to a frame or two from a half second ago. it does this constantly, but only in full screen mode, and only in firefox. in chrome, the feed runs seamlessly. and in firefox with the stream, at any size, in any window, also runs seamlessly. it's just whenever i full screen it.

any ideas what might be up here? i've tried closing all other applications, and also the most memory-intensive tabs. it still does it, and i'm not really sure where to begin diagnosing.

Ad block can mess with streams, try disabling addons one by one. Could also be that the browsers use different drivers/extensions (if there is such a thing anymore) for that particular media format, and that Chrome's is better.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Another possibility is that GPU drivers need updated. Firefox is a lot more prone to weird problems if there are drivers issues for hardware acceleration. Just riffing here.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

abelwingnut posted:

What's your graphics card, installed driver version and vram size?

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?
why does ublock keep breaking loving constantly

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Catboy Autonomist posted:

why does ublock keep breaking loving constantly

This hasn't been my experience. Are you using uBlock Origin?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I've noticed a couple times that uBlock stopped working, but it only seemed to happen when Firefox had an update pending for restart. Restarting would get everything working again.

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

astral posted:

This hasn't been my experience. Are you using uBlock Origin?

Yes

Although it didn't even seem to work upon restarting either and it didn't even seem to reinstall correctly for some reason

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Catboy Autonomist posted:

Yes

Although it didn't even seem to work upon restarting either and it didn't even seem to reinstall correctly for some reason

Odd, has never happened for me. Try refreshing your profile maybe?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

endlessmonotony posted:

What's your graphics card, installed driver version and vram size?

geforce 8400gs, drivers 342.01, 1024mb. card puts out video to two monitors running at 1920x1200.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Another possibility is that GPU drivers need updated. Firefox is a lot more prone to weird problems if there are drivers issues for hardware acceleration. Just riffing here.

i have the latest version installed.

Ola posted:

Ad block can mess with streams, try disabling addons one by one. Could also be that the browsers use different drivers/extensions (if there is such a thing anymore) for that particular media format, and that Chrome's is better.

i'm using ublock origin. might it mess with streams too?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

i'm using ublock origin. might it mess with streams too?

It messes with youtube or spotify, in that it removes the ads. Perhaps something with the stream is triggering ublock, which causes high CPU usage or interrupted playback. Should be easy to check by disabling it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

abelwingnut posted:

geforce 8400gs, drivers 342.01, 1024mb. card puts out video to two monitors running at 1920x1200.

Yeah. Yeaaah.

Those drivers are seriously buggy and they will demonstrate behavior like this under Chrome too, just less.

Firefox has less workarounds for this poo poo, but long story short, you're running a desktop well beyond what that card can reliably handle and you're hardware decoding video on them and uh, that card just doesn't have the power. Or the memory. Or the drivers.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Stylus has lost all my styles. This wasn't the first time. gently caress.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Wheany posted:

But it's all good because you take periodic backups of your computer and/or firefox profile and/or stylus styles, right?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

astral posted:

But it's all good because you take periodic backups of your computer and/or firefox profile and/or stylus styles, right?

Who does this anymore?

Related, does anyone know if any addon can store data with Firefox sync?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ola posted:

Who does this anymore?

People who don't want to lose things like that, mostly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

astral posted:

I can't think of anything I use that isn't just a trivial set of preferences, that doesn't have online storage of user data.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

astral posted:

I have a weekly calendar popup now to remind me to do poo poo like that.

Burned far too many times in the bad worse old days. And took me far too long to learn my lesson.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

astral posted:

gently caress you too, buddy!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wheany posted:

Are you sure it's actually lost your styles, not just can't show you your styles? I've had the second one happen a bunch with stylus, where either firefox or stylus updated and the style management UI was suddenly blank or hosed up some way. Especially when I was on the ESR branch of firefox.

If you're positive your styles are actually gone and not merely invisible, and that this has happened before, I'd actually point to your profile being hosed in some way that is corrupting your localstorage.

Also, seconding that anything you don't back up is something you don't care about.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Klyith posted:

Are you sure it's actually lost your styles, not just can't show you your styles?

I don't know and I don't know how I can tell the difference.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Wheany posted:

gently caress you too, buddy!

I was hoping it was one of those :(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Wheany posted:

This is me with SALR every time I login to a fresh browser.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wheany posted:

I don't know and I don't know how I can tell the difference.

On the manage styles page, try to write a new style and save it. If the problem is the same compatibility issues I've had, the UI will just be empty on some of those.

Repeated loss of localstorage OTOH I don't know any easy answer to besides just exporting bookmarks, extensions, ublock settings, and so on to a fresh profile.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a good automatic backup in particular?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a good automatic backup in particular?

include <user>\appdata\roaming\mozilla in your regular backup procedure.

don't have a regular backup procedure? get one!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Klyith posted:

include <user>\appdata\roaming\mozilla in your regular backup procedure.

don't have a regular backup procedure? get one!
I have two external hard drives I use for keeping a backup clone of my hard drive, so I guess it's already included in there. But good to know it's a specific folder I can copy as well.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Youtube videos no longer automatically play when I open the tab since the last update. :( Every search for a setting invariably gives results about Autoplay which is not the same thing.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

when it does it, look at the address bar, there's be an icon next to the https padlock that'll let you change that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

Youtube videos no longer automatically play when I open the tab since the last update. :( Every search for a setting invariably gives results about Autoplay which is not the same thing.

When you say "open the tab", does that mean you want it to play when you open a tab without having it in focus? Or that it doesn't play when you open without focus, and still doesn't play when you click the tab to view it?

Those media.autoplay settings are the right ones, but the combinations can be tricky, in addition to the permission mentioned by SIGSEGV.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

Add an exception for youtube here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The suggestions fixed it. Thanks!

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 28, 2019