Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Lutha Mahtin posted:

today is the first 0day of the rest of your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There have been like five or six separate incidents where financial firms were serving other people's data to them via some broken cache.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i accidentally did that at an old job (tho it was the "list previous purchases" page on an online music store, not anything actually important)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

So NYT wrote this

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/us/nsa-hacking-tool-baltimore.html

Nothing really new in here, except the surprisingly angry tone about how the NSA is completely unaccountable to anyone and out of control.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it's been 2 years. microsoft released patches for everything, even operating systems that had been EOL for years. how the gently caress are people still vulnerable to those nsa exploits.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Soricidus posted:

it's been 2 years. microsoft released patches for everything, even operating systems that had been EOL for years. how the gently caress are people still vulnerable to those nsa exploits.
:effort:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

would it surprise you to find out government it is not very good?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
apparently I’m a hopeless optimist

like I get that these organisations have poorly trained cjs trying to support terrible systems that are actively hostile to any kind of maintenance, but this set of exploits was literally front page headline news for months, surely this is the one instance where they might actually be expected to download the goddamn patch file and double click on the .exe to apply it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
government IT system management begins and ends at the kickbacks the purchasers get

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
government it is at the whims of a budgetary process that literally cannot comprehend the idea of technical debt and compounding interest

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

the only person who installs the post-eol updates for windows xp pos ready is fishmech

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blinkz0rz posted:

government it is at the whims of a budgetary process that literally cannot comprehend the idea of technical debt and compounding interest

is this better or worse than most companies where it is just a cost center?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

is this better or worse than most companies where it is just a cost center?

worse, because when it starts loving up a company will eventually do something. government will run it until it’s literally impossible to fix and then be offline for months while the elephantine procurement process begins.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Pryor on Fire posted:

So NYT wrote this

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/us/nsa-hacking-tool-baltimore.html

Nothing really new in here, except the surprisingly angry tone about how the NSA is completely unaccountable to anyone and out of control.

Lol don't blame the city gov for not properly segmenting admin roles and having lovely security and patching practices, blame the ~NSA~

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a lot of politicians also use agency/department failures as a petty justification to shift budget toward their pet projects, or to gin up "government bad" sentiment, and so on

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

ewiley posted:

Lol don't blame the city gov for not properly segmenting admin roles and having lovely security and patching practices, blame the ~NSA~

I'm not even sure if I'm being sarcastic here, either, TBQH

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a lot of politicians also use agency/department failures as a petty justification to shift budget toward their pet projects, or to gin up "government bad" sentiment, and so on

Isn’t that standard practice? run on a government bad platform, defund various departments until they start to mess up. Then reinforce re-election pointing out just how bad the government is based on those failings. Keep repeating and bringing in those sweet sweet campaign contributions.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

obviously we need to replace everything with public/private partnerships

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my state legislature & governor just finished hammering out the state budget for the next two years. i noticed this choice quote from an extremely smart boy who serves in the minnesota house:

https://blogs.mprnews.org/capitol-view/2019/05/legislature-passes-48-billion-budget-ends-special-session/

quote:

During the House debate of the agriculture bill, Republican Rep. Jeremy Munson, R-Lake Crystal, objected to its $40 million allocation for rural broadband expansion.

“This is a gravy train of money for people. They’re taking limited dollars. We should be using money to fight the opioid crisis with cash. We should be fixing our roads. Instead, we’re dumping money, we’re trenching it into the ground on decades-old technology when satellite and wireless and fixed wireless is already available.”

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

Isn’t that standard practice? run on a government bad platform, defund various departments until they start to mess up. Then reinforce re-election pointing out just how bad the government is based on those failings. Keep repeating and bringing in those sweet sweet campaign contributions.

that is how neoliberalism destroys democracies, yes

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

ewiley posted:

yep you can blame the nsa for like the first 6 months, but after 2 years it's just another windows patch and the origin doesn't matter

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the only person who installs the post-eol updates for windows xp pos ready is fishmech

loved his screenshot LP of this!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

loved his screenshot LP of this!

“their” iirc

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

my state legislature & governor just finished hammering out the state budget for the next two years. i noticed this choice quote from an extremely smart boy who serves in the minnesota house:

https://blogs.mprnews.org/capitol-view/2019/05/legislature-passes-48-billion-budget-ends-special-session/

quote:

Republican House Minority Leader Kurt Daudt complained about the closed-door negotiations that led to the special session. He said the process was severely flawed and called the entire 2019 session a failure.

gently caress you kurt daudt

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Meanwhile in Colorado we just made it illegal to preempt local municipal broadband and capped the price of insulin per month and legalized mushrooms so enjoy your slow death conservative midwest states :uhaul:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

looks like email scammers are trying a new tactic: a scam within a warning about a scam. i think that's what he's getting at anyway.

quote:

Sometimes, I do wonder if you are really, really with your senses. How Could you keep trusting people and at the end you will loose your hard Earned money, or are you being deceived by their big names? They Impersonate on many offices, claiming to be Governors, Directors/Chairmen of one Office or the other. Their game plan is only just to extort your hard Earned money. Now, the question is how long you will continue to be Deceived? Sometimes, they will issue you fake check, introduce you to fake Diplomatic delivery, un-existing on-line banking and they will also fake wire transfer of Your fund with Payment Stop Order and even send you fake Atm cards etc.

Anyway, by the virtue of my position I have been following this Transaction from inception and all your efforts towards realizing the Fund. More often than not, I sit down and laugh at your ignorance and That of those who claim they are assisting you, it is very unfortunate That at the end you loose. Although, I don't blame you because you are Not here in Nigeria to witness the processing of your payment in Nigeria. The problem you are having is that you been told the whole truth About this transaction and it is because of this truth they decided to Be extorting your money. The most annoying part is even fraudsters Have really taken advantage of this opportunity to enrich them selves At your expense. Those you feel are assisting or working for you are Your main problems. I know the truth surrounding this payment and I am The only person who will deliver you from this long suffering if you will abide by my advice.

They claim that they are helping you and you forward all the fraudulent e-mails you receive to them. At the end they do nothing about the fraudsters. Soon they will ask you to pay money to receive a compensation of millions of dollars Do not pay any money to them because they are only interested in your hard earned money and you will never receive any compensation in return, they will always keep coming back to ask for more money.

Please I beseech you to stop pursuit of shadows and being Deceived. Feel free to contact me immediately you receive this mail so that I can Explain to you the modus-operandi guiding the release of your Payment. Do not panic, be rest assured that this arrangement will be Guided by your Embassy here in Nigeria.

N/B: You are urgently requested to provide me with the following information

Full Name:
Address:
Telephone Number:
Passport Or National Identity Copy:

Contact me upon the receipt of this mail if you wish to receive your fund and stop wasting your hard earn money..

I await your urgent response.

Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu.
CHAIRMAN ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

firefox-as-news-aggregator is annoying but occasionally it pulls out a plum

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-23/expats-millions-in-life-savings-disappear-from-mexican-accounts

quote:

In late December, Kathy Machir called Marcela Zavala Taylor, her banker of nine years at Mexico’s Monex Casa de Bolsa, to get cash for contractors building her retirement home in San Miguel de Allende. Typically, Zavala would wire money or dispatch her assistant, Juan, on his motorcycle with an envelope full of pesos. Monex, with $5.2 billion in assets and operations in the U.S., was woven into the lives of Machir and the 10,000 other Americans who’ve moved to San Miguel de Allende.

The transfer didn’t happen. Juan didn’t show, Zavala didn’t return calls, and Kathy and Jim Machir discovered that their nest egg was gone. When the Machirs and other San Miguel expatriates met with Monex officials in early January, the bankers told some of them that about $40 million was missing from as many as 158 accounts, many belonging to English-speaking Americans. A dozen people interviewed by Bloomberg News say that bank statements Zavala sent them purporting to show full accounts were apparently falsified. Most say the bank has told them little since they filed complaints, and some say Monex tried to settle for far less than the balances owed. “When they told us we had 6 pesos [32¢] in our accounts, I just felt sick to my stomach,” Kathy Machir says. “Since then, they have not dealt with us in good faith.”

Kenneth Karger, a retired dentist in Fort Worth with property in Mexico, says Monex owes him about $400,000. He stopped getting full statements after June, as did the Machirs. Karger says Zavala told him Monex was changing to a new online banking system and sent emails showing a plausible balance. Later, Karger went through statements he retrieved from Monex and found unauthorized withdrawals and wire transfers.

A notarized letter that Karger’s attorney sent to top Monex executives on April 15 lists 12 allegations of fraud, including transferring money to people whom the depositors didn’t know, making unauthorized investments, and changing account login information. “If a relatively low-level employee can go into your account, change your email address for notifications, change your password, redirect deposits, withdrawals, and wire transfers,” Karger says, “then you have a kindergarten-level security system safeguarding tens of millions of dollars.”

el banco de llomarf

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the only reason to have a Mexican bank account as a primary account with that much money in it as an American is if you’re dodging taxes or are laundering money

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

the only reason to have a Mexican bank account as a primary account with that much money in it as an American is if you’re dodging taxes or are laundering money

it sounds like they're dodging taxes and building a retirement house in mexico so they can live cheaper and also dodge taxes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
funnily enough, some of those taxes probably help organize and operate the fdic

shame about that, really

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Beamed posted:

gently caress you kurt daudt

the process was pretty bad and may be the reason insulin prices weren't capped

I've been wondering for a while now if selling a dumbed down git clone to legislatures to handle what are effectively giant merge conflicts would be a good business or if they'd just stubbornly refuse to do it electronically

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the fdic is funded not by taxes but by charging premiums to participating banks so unfortunately there is less irony than there could have been

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

I've been wondering for a while now if selling a dumbed down git clone to legislatures to handle what are effectively giant merge conflicts would be a good business or if they'd just stubbornly refuse to do it electronically

it's called blockchain

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

the fdic is funded not by taxes but by charging premiums to participating banks so unfortunately there is less irony than there could have been

ah, my mistake

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Munkeymon posted:

is it stubbornness if they're all 80 and don't know how to use a computer

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Munkeymon posted:

there's been a few places that have tried that and it seems to have worked out well, it just requires people younger than dirt to be in power

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

looks like email scammers are trying a new tactic: a scam within a warning about a scam. i think that's what he's getting at anyway.

Nigerian bank scammers using segmented marketing aimed at their core demographic of people who are currently entangled in a Nigerian bank scam

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

yeah it's nice that they got the budget done but it was more than just noted dingus kurt daudt and master grifter tom bakk who were complaining about it. a lot of budget items were scrapped or changed with basically no explanation. one item that i heard about was a mental health diversion program for returning soldiers that was projected to SAVE money and it was taken out of the budget for :iiam: reasons

in relevant news it looks like they finally got that money approved to beef up state election security. the secretary of state said he has a bunch of stuff ready to go so hopefully all of that can get done before primary season next year

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 28, 2019

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/chinese-military-to-replace-windows-os-amid-fears-of-us-hacking/

quote:

The decision, while not made official through the government's normal press channels, was reported earlier this month by Canada-based military magazine Kanwa Asian Defence.

Per the magazine, Chinese military officials won't be jumping ship from Windows to Linux but will develop a custom OS.

Thanks to the Snowden, Shadow Brokers, and Vault7 leaks, Beijing officials are well aware of the US' hefty arsenal of hacking tools, available for anything from smart TVs to Linux servers, and from routers to common desktop operating systems, such as Windows and Mac.

Since these leaks have revealed that the US can hack into almost anything, the Chinese government's plan is to adopt a "security by obscurity" approach and run a custom operating system that will make it harder for foreign threat actors -- mainly the US -- to spy on Chinese military operations.

yaaaass yaaaasss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
but red star is right there...