Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think one of their main takeaways from how people played the first game was that it was savescum city. And they’re right. But putting the pressure on loading your save 1 second before you die as a response does seem a little confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

MiddleOne posted:

You get infection for looting?
Certain drawers have dark spots on them that can be really hard to see. Opening them gives a huge Immunity hit (lessened depending on your glove quality).

Orbs fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 28, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The death penalties persist even if you reload right?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Quicksilver6 posted:

I can't remember them all, much less be able to pull it off but supposedly it had additional positive consequences at day 12.

From what I understand, it's a miracle if you the player survives even that long in this one. Also can someone explain the death penalty? That seems like it's kicking you when you're down which is... disheartening.

E:f,b

In 1 you only could give your character's solution to the Plague if all your Adherents are alive. Keeping other character's Adherents alive let you choose their ending instead. There was one special scene if you saved another's set and another if you saved everyone.

I am still on day 4, so I am a long way from speculating on 2's ending.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Certain drawers have dark spots on them that can be really hard to see. Opening them gives a huge Immunity hit (lessened depending on your glove quality).

Like on the physical in-game drawer or the drawer in the drawer interface?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think one of their main takeaways from how people played the first game was that it was savescum city. And they’re right. But putting the pressure on loading your save 1 second before you die as a response does seem a little confused

Wait, if you die your old save gets wiped so you can't reload it?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Wait, if you die your old save gets wiped so you can't reload it?

No, it's just that you get a penalty for dying that is retroactively applied across all saves.

I feel like I'm in the minority in that I reached day 7 while only dying once, so I can't comment much on balance. All I'll say is that I've felt able to gather enough resources to stave off death for the most part, even if things get tense from time to time. I've only resorted to savescumming a few times, once to get a quest i missed for dumb reasons and a few other times to avoid infection. I will completely acknowledge that this is partially because of my knowledge of the original game and the remake's various alphas and demos.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

MiddleOne posted:

Like on the physical in-game drawer or the drawer in the drawer interface?
On the drawer interface, where you have to hold down the mouse to open them.

Edit: Also, you should die a lot in at least one of your playthroughs just to see the death scenes. They are good. I've gotten three so far because I am bad.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 28, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have died yet* so good to know I should emergency abort.

*I guess I lost a fight on day 1 and Grief picked me up then I reloaded but they say it's a freebie so

Starting to regret not getting that gun lol, or not saving the strings, or selling that third scalpel, or...

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

youcallthatatwist posted:

No, it's just that you get a penalty for dying that is retroactively applied across all saves.

Oh ho, wow. lol. Good to know.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

On the drawer interface, where you have to hold down the mouse to open them.

Edit: Also, you should die a lot in at least one of your playthroughs just to see the death scenes. They are good. I've gotten three so far because I am bad.

I was punched to deaths by guards on day 1. :smug:

Trying to jump over a fence was a mistake

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why are these nearly dead infected muggers so fast god drat it

Don't surrender and run come back I need your organs

I'm not a serial killer

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Look Sir Droids posted:

Oh ho, wow. lol. Good to know.

The penalties are really low and some fun story beats happen because of it, I say from 3 deaths by the middle of day 4.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok seriously how am I supposed to finish anyone off if they can run faster and longer than me, gently caress

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Ok seriously how am I supposed to finish anyone off if they can run faster and longer than me, gently caress

There's no running after a bullet to the head.

God why did I not get the gun a single liver pays for the bullet by itself. :negative:

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

Just a heads up for people, don't try to Alt-F4 right after dying. It doesn't work and you could miss some seriously important stuff that can ruin your entire play-through.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Why are these nearly dead infected muggers so fast god drat it

Don't surrender and run come back I need your organs

I'm not a serial killer

You're just a serial Justifiable Homicide-er and Emergency Organ Transplant Stockpiler

As well you should be, if my time in Path 1 was any indication!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That sounds like bad news for me unless you can just sort of claw the organs out with broken scalpels, if I ever manage to catch up to one of these cowards

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Raid the garbage. Once you know which repair items not to barter off and the fact that repairs get more expensive and cumbersome the more broken a weapon is (contrary to every video game I've ever played) things get easier.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Just beaten the game and saw several endings as well as the credits.:toot:
Apparently MandaloreGaming is one of dozen in the special thanks section. Guess he's going to do an hour long review now. :v:

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel like immunity drains too fast. I throw everything I have at stacking my immunity and the plague still tears through my clothes and drains my pills so fast it's all I can do to get THROUGH a plague district, let alone do anything there
It really does though in the original game all you had to do was dodge screaming fart gas and other fun stuff. Really I just ignored going into houses unless I have to go in there Like if there is a crying baby.. I'm just happy they didn't bring back those loving rats.

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the easiest way to get a new scalpel? I have zero money since I bought as much meat as possible and bumfights totally ruined the two I have and I have no repair tools

I didn't even get a kidney out of it since they turned tail and fled
You start with a rusty one with bad grief and honestly you should stick with. Use your scalpels on corpses not on the pre corpses.

RBA Starblade posted:

I have the exact same problem I literally chased a dude all the way off the map to a place you aren't expect to find till late game. Still didn't catch the fucker.

Raymond Hog posted:

Just a heads up for people, don't try to Alt-F4 right after dying. It doesn't work and you could miss some seriously important stuff that can ruin your entire play-through.
You have more luck panic escape friend. The trick is to do it right before the oolong hits you unless you're in looter town then you're already looted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Congrats on surviving! Unless you died, then congrats on powering through. :v:

Waterfall Watcher posted:

It really does though in the original game all you had to do was dodge screaming fart gas and other fun stuff. Really I just ignored going into houses unless I have to go in there Like if there is a crying baby.. I'm just happy they didn't bring back those loving rats.

You start with a rusty one with bad grief and honestly you should stick with. Use your scalpels on corpses not on the pre corpses.

I have the exact same problem I literally chased a dude all the way off the map to a place you aren't expect to find till late game. Still didn't catch the fucker.

I guess my next orders of business are figure out what the game wants of me now (something will pop up I suppose), get a knife, and get a new scalpel :v:

e: Actually can you repair totally busted gear?

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

RBA Starblade posted:

Congrats on surviving! Unless you died, then congrats on powering through. :v:

I guess my next orders of business are figure out what the game wants of me now (something will pop up I suppose), get a knife, and get a new scalpel :v:

e: Actually can you repair totally busted gear?

Thanks!
On the broken gear thing if the gear is still in your inventory it can be fixed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I held onto it hoping to pawn it off on a child somehow or sell it for a pittance so I guess I'm less screwed on that front than I thought

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont think ive taken immunity pills or a tonic in a long rear end time. clothing is basically 100% protection

youcallthatatwist posted:

The point of the death penalty, at least on paper, is to make you avoid death at all costs. This includes savescumming before death if you need to.

mark immortal said it best, tbh

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Verviticus posted:

i dont think ive taken immunity pills or a tonic in a long rear end time. clothing is basically 100% protection

But clothing is so expensive to buy and maintain. :negative:

I do have to say that just the fact that people reward you for running errands all day has helped immensely so far during day 4. Can't really say I was prepared for getting locked in all-night in day 3.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

Verviticus posted:

I've never taken an immunity pill during my time playing but I did use the orange tonics + for the exhaustion reduction.
Just keeping a maintained breathing mask/boots should keep you good for going from point a to b if you're going through a lot of infected districts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Verviticus posted:

"Git Gud" - The Authorities, 2005

BTW if you haven't seen them, Sul Matul on Youtube had some good video essays about Pathologic and The Void and has what seems like an extra doomed early copy run of the game so here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10hfHwsZ9y4

They do narrate everything though, if that annoys you. And spoilers obviously but I just skim through a few seconds at a time to see how bad it gets for him so I don't ruin anything :haw:

quote:

I've never taken an immunity pill during my time playing but I did use the orange tonics + for the exhaustion reduction.
Just keeping a maintained breathing mask/boots should keep you good for going from point a to b if you're going through a lot of infected districts.

I have three lovely pieces of clothing and I barely lost a fifth of my health after like five minutes bumbling my way to Aspity in Day 2/3 so wear pants, I guess

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

"Git Gud" - The Authorities, 2005

BTW if you haven't seen them, Sul Matul on Youtube had some good video essays about Pathologic and The Void and has what seems like an extra doomed early copy run of the game so here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10hfHwsZ9y4

They do narrate everything though, if that annoys you. And spoilers obviously but I just skim through a few seconds at a time to see how bad it gets for him so I don't ruin anything :haw:

He does a really good job with his Pathologic stuff, if a bit arch a lot of the time lol. There are some pretty intense audio issues with some of his Path1HD playthrough though unfortunately

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
has anyone here completed day 6 that can help me figure something out?

i want to figure out what this bubble is, and whats beyond it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The roots demand blood.

I have bottles and a scalpel.

I know what I must do.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Things have been going pretty well until day 3. Now I'm freaking out a little.

I've been hesitant to go to my house since the guy at the start pushed me so hard to avoid it, and now that I've taken it upon myself to try and heal the sick kid things are starting to fall apart. Plague's spreading like wildfire, I got the papers and got the point that said "I've got the house now," but when I got there the door was still crossed out. So now I'm starting to wonder if I completely missed out on getting in there because I waited so long and it's locked down, and now I can't get potions made to be able to figure out what pills to give the kid to not kill him.

Plus I'm trying to get the gang back together tonight and I'm PRETTY SURE they're gonna be no-shows.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
The loving game crashed while I was having a fight with an infected... Open the game again to find my save files.... From day 6 gone.... all of them... Does anyone know where the save files are located? Because If I cannot restore them I will just refund the game.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I found the saves but I do not know why the game cannot read them anymore...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Savy Saracen salad posted:

I found the saves but I do not know why the game cannot read them anymore...

Try backing them up then deleting them out of the local directory; Steam might be able to download and recover fresh ones from the cloud.

From what I recall Pathologic 2 uses Unity and Unity is poo poo about save files

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Squidtentacle posted:

Things have been going pretty well until day 3. Now I'm freaking out a little.

I've been hesitant to go to my house since the guy at the start pushed me so hard to avoid it, and now that I've taken it upon myself to try and heal the sick kid things are starting to fall apart. Plague's spreading like wildfire, I got the papers and got the point that said "I've got the house now," but when I got there the door was still crossed out. So now I'm starting to wonder if I completely missed out on getting in there because I waited so long and it's locked down, and now I can't get potions made to be able to figure out what pills to give the kid to not kill him.

Plus I'm trying to get the gang back together tonight and I'm PRETTY SURE they're gonna be no-shows.

did you talk to the guy in the infected district to the SW of your house? he has to make it official

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Verviticus posted:

did you talk to the guy in the infected district to the SW of your house? he has to make it official

I just sauntered in while it was day 2

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

that shouldnt be available on day 2 because the whole point of that guy is to give you a mini-tutorial on infected districts and they dont show up until day 3

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just talked to Saburov lol, then learned poo poo was going down running into it on the way to Aspity, I got no tutorial

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

he's talking about on day 3 when you have to go to kain to get him to not demolish the house, and he tells you to talk to some bureaucrat in the hindquarters, which is infected at the time. if you hit 6:00, i guess the guy goes to sleep or something and you miss your chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh lol

Well that's good to know