Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I let my e46 sit for a month. It was weird, all the trip computers reset like it had lost power, and the TC/ESC/whatever dash light was on. But it started right up, cranked very easy. Drove it for a while and everything was back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't drive it during the winter and I've only taken it out a handful of times this spring. Summer I'll drive it a bunch so I'm thinking it may just be a dying battery after sitting too many cycles. Also could be some weird key issues, since I'm down to one key I bought online and the RFID may be failing.

Good news is I'm in the process of closing on my first home which will have an attached 2 car garage. I'll finally be able to work on and drive my cars regularly. My current setup is street parking for the e36 and a rental garage a block from my apartment for the e46. I can't wait to be done with this car juggling and have easy access and peace of mind.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cobalt60 posted:

hey thread, maybe a weird request, but can y'all critique / comment on my CL posting for my ZHP? I want it to find a good home and want to be a good & honest seller.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/eugene-2005-bmw-330i-zhp-automatic/6896890261.html

... But I'm also a car selling novice, and have little clue what to look out for or emphasize or avoid and whatever. Any tips / input at all is welcome big thanks

It looks good, well pictured and well presented. A couple suggestions -- get rid of the head-on shot with the hood popped, makes it look like there's a problem with hood engagement. Also, for the small amount of money and time involved, I'd get some VHT dye and get some gray back on the leather where it's wearing and showing through tan (crawl some forums and see if there's a spray dye that matches, obv). Also, either show a picture of the sagging headliner or don't mention it. Talking about it without a picture is a warning sign.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Normally if everything comes up fine and it won't even crank, the first thing to check is if the neutral safety switch is engaging correctly

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Popete, I’m going all in on dead battery. If you have one of those mini jump batteries (everyone should have one) I’m sure it’s a dead battery. You store yours offsite right? If you don’t have a battery tender on it then it’s chooched for sure. My E90 has lived on a battery tender it’s whole life because for all the engineering marvels they have a healthy appetite for $500 battery changes. Mine is now 8 years old and original! If I’m not driving the car for more than a few days then it’s hanging out on the tender.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's parked a block away and it had been a few weeks. I'll throw the trickle charge on it today and give it a shot tomorrow.

rscott posted:

Normally if everything comes up fine and it won't even crank, the first thing to check is if the neutral safety switch is engaging correctly

It's a manual.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

meatpimp posted:

It looks good, well pictured and well presented. A couple suggestions -- get rid of the head-on shot with the hood popped, makes it look like there's a problem with hood engagement. Also, for the small amount of money and time involved, I'd get some VHT dye and get some gray back on the leather where it's wearing and showing through tan (crawl some forums and see if there's a spray dye that matches, obv). Also, either show a picture of the sagging headliner or don't mention it. Talking about it without a picture is a warning sign.

Big thanks for these comments. I didn't even realize the hood was popped in that one pic, much appreciated. I added the photos showing the fabric sags.
https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/eugene-2005-bmw-330i-zhp-automatic/6896890261.html

I also have a fuller gallery but I guess Craigslist doesn't allow photo galleries linked within their posts (?). Maybe that's always been true I dunno.

Going to look for some dye now. The leather color got a bit worse just in those pics, since it was right after a detailing, which was surprising to me. Thanks again!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hello I’d like some downforce plz

Not much left to get now just waiting on bonnet and boot!!!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I hope you're planning to solid mount that to the frame, rather than the bumper. Have you considered adding a couple of diffusers that dump into the wheel wells yet?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

good time to add a turbo while you got the hood off anyways

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I hope you're planning to solid mount that to the frame, rather than the bumper. Have you considered adding a couple of diffusers that dump into the wheel wells yet?

Plz. What do u take me for m8

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
horry fuk dude! Nice!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Popete posted:

Hell yeah

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Don’t DOXX yourself

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ok I left the battery on a trickle charger over night and still nothing. The trickle charger didn't show it was fully charged but I tried starting it anyways. The headlights also don't appear to be coming on and the radio was sorta going on/off so I think the battery is probably not holding a charge.

Recommendations on a new battery brand?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Costco due to the ease of returns

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

Costco due to the ease of returns

Good call, looks like they have Interstate batteries for pretty cheap too.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Do E46s go through ignition switches like E39s do?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Pulled out the washer fluid bottle, couldn't find any leaks. It leaked to just below the filler hose, so I'm hoping it was either the hose or it not being clicked in all the way. That would probably be the easiest thing by far to replace.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Someone please talk me down from buying an 80s 6 series and turbo charging it now that I have garage space to store and work on it in.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pibur posted:

Someone please talk me down from buying an 80s 6 series and turbo charging it

You know we can't do that, because that's the best idea.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pibur posted:

Someone please talk me down from buying an 80s 6 series and turbo charging it now that I have garage space to store and work on it in.

If it isn't your daily driver why would you NOT do that?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pibur posted:

as long as it's not a rustbucket do it

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Pibur posted:

I assume you misspoke and meant turboS charging it. In which case, yes obviously.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i also hate money

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

i also hate money

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bad Money Waster

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My buddy that has both an e46 and e92 m3 keeps pointing me towards f8x cars with the main argument being that they're infinitely better daily drivers. I can't really argue with him on that and they obviously have way more in the way of creature comforts. They're obviously more expensive, but the first 2 model years aren't all that bad, and I do hate money...

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Pibur posted:

No way. You're living my post-retirement life.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Pibur posted:

Here's the link to the AI project thread registry: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2797197

You know what you need to do.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Big Taint posted:

Do E46s go through ignition switches like E39s do?

Not that I've ever heard of. That's not really an item on any E46 watchlist I've seen.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

fknlo posted:

My buddy that has both an e46 and e92 m3 keeps pointing me towards f8x cars with the main argument being that they're infinitely better daily drivers. I can't really argue with him on that and they obviously have way more in the way of creature comforts. They're obviously more expensive, but the first 2 model years aren't all that bad, and I do hate money...

The E9X is infinitely easier just based on age alone. The early F80 cars have dropped a stupid amount in value where I am truly surprised. Like $40 grand will get you a lowish mileage 15 with clean history and maintenance. It’s a good buy OP as long as you buy one of the following colors:
Yas Marina
Austin Yellow
Mineral White

If it’s not one of those don’t even bother.

Edit: and you must be sure to drive both transmission choices. I know your heart (and crotch) says MANual but those cars have infinity amounts of torque and scarce amounts of rubber and the manual kind of sucks to deal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I forget who it was, but someone was asking what the wheels on my 1er are. It's this:

Which appears to be style 261

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Edit: and you must be sure to drive both transmission choices. I know your heart (and crotch) says MANual but those cars have infinity amounts of torque and scarce amounts of rubber and the manual kind of sucks to deal.

The manual I drove was kinda fuckin weird with the auto-blipper and the way it changes the clutch pedal feedback depending on modes

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The E9X is infinitely easier just based on age alone. The early F80 cars have dropped a stupid amount in value where I am truly surprised. Like $40 grand will get you a lowish mileage 15 with clean history and maintenance. It’s a good buy OP as long as you buy one of the following colors:
Yas Marina
Austin Yellow
Mineral White

If it’s not one of those don’t even bother.

Color isn't super important to me. I have preferences of course, but there aren't many deal breakers for the exterior at least. One fun thing outside of the traditional DCT listed as a manual is that a huge number of the cars listed in the $45k and under range have damage reports on their carfax.

There are obviously a ton more options than e9x's, so I can be a little pickier.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The problem with the F8x is that yes, it's faster on paper but feels less fast because it doesn't have that VTEC rush that the S65 gives you coupled with the intake/exhaust roar, and it doesn't feel anywhere near as bespoke a baby supercar as the E9x does. It feels like a fast 3-series. Still a good car but doesn't feel as "M" as the previous models. It won't feel anywhere near as clunky a dump truck "Race Car" as the E9x, which may or may not be good for your daily driver. Personally I think it's a negative.

Objectively:
Pros: The traction control is infinitely better at letting you drive it hard and get a little sideways than the E9x is, wherein you need to get the Euro MDM code and/or turn TC off all the time or it will fun-stop you immediately; the 4-door has a better seating position (IMHO) than the 2-door.
Cons: It sounds like a badly ill dog farting away, especially the first few years of the new model, and it has speakers inside that play engine noises to cover this up (very shameful).

Don't buy Austin Yellow, it's not good but it sure does make cops look at you. This green is insanely good, as is this red.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

The problem with the F8x is that yes, it's faster on paper but feels less fast because it doesn't have that VTEC rush that the S65 gives you coupled with the intake/exhaust roar, and it doesn't feel anywhere near as bespoke a baby supercar as the E9x does. It feels like a fast 3-series. Still a good car but doesn't feel as "M" as the previous models. It won't feel anywhere near as clunky a dump truck "Race Car" as the E9x, which may or may not be good for your daily driver. Personally I think it's a negative.

Objectively:
Pros: The traction control is infinitely better at letting you drive it hard and get a little sideways than the E9x is, wherein you need to get the Euro MDM code and/or turn TC off all the time or it will fun-stop you immediately; the 4-door has a better seating position (IMHO) than the 2-door.
Cons: It sounds like a badly ill dog farting away, especially the first few years of the new model, and it has speakers inside that play engine noises to cover this up (very shameful).

Don't buy Austin Yellow, it's not good but it sure does make cops look at you. This green is insanely good, as is this red.

The f8x cars do sound like garbage, but that's a thing for most modern turbocharged engines. The plus side to that is that I probably won't be looking at exhausts that run $5k :v:

I'm hoping to drive an M3 in that red color today at the BMW dealer in Boulder. I prefer the pretty colors but really don't have a massive preference towards them. Silverstone with a grey interior and things along those lines are my only real "deal breakers" and I throw that in quotation marks because at the right price I'd be looking.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Don't buy Austin Yellow, it's not good

Wow how dare you. Is this our first fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Wow how dare you. Is this our first fight?

I've seen the color in person but haven't actually checked it out. I'd probably be more than fine with it though as I don't mind loud colors at all. Both of my current are bright red.

BMW dealer doesn't have that M3 but may have an M4 to check out. Gonna head down there and take a gander if they do. Looking around and Carmax is shockingly right in line with prices and I don't think I've ever seen that with anything I've looked at from them before.