Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Hummy is generally accepted to be a girl

The English fandom clings to the idea that she and Mofurun could go either way (despite Cure Mofurun existing...), but Japanese fanart that humanizes both of them lands solidly on "they're girls"

That's what I thought, I just got confused because some of the later episodes of Suite started referring to Hummy as "he". Just curious if there was an official word regarding that.

Also sort of a missed opportunity in my opinion to have a talking magic cat voiced by Sailor Moon and not give her a human/Cure form at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

you have ID'ed my eternal regret about Suite, yes

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Captain Cappy posted:

Have there been other mascots that have contributed as much as Prunce has? It feels like he is constantly getting in there and saving the day. I've only watched GoPri and Hugtto, and while Harry is competent he doesn't do as much during fights.

Coupe saves the day a lot in Heartcatch, and Potpourri is pretty fond of rushing in front of injured Cures and putting up a barrier to protect them, but Chypre and Coffret don't do a whole lot combat-wise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Coupe saves the day a lot in Heartcatch, and Potpourri is pretty fond of rushing in front of injured Cures and putting up a barrier to protect them, but Chypre and Coffret don't do a whole lot combat-wise.

Unfortunately we never really get a scene with Coupe quite as awesome as the shot in the opening where he’s just tearing up grunts while in fairy form, as far as I can remember anyway (also he’s the only fairy in the entire franchise that never speaks, which I always found kind of weird).

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

https://twitter.com/futagokamikita/status/1132598055683780609

Excellent tweet from the manga artists today

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, has the Star Twinkle manga started up yet or is it still too early?

Also subs are out now for episode 17.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Is Hikaru too cartoony or not cartoony enough?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She’s up there but I’d say Erika from HeartCatch still has her beat in that regard.

As for the episode itself, looks like another poster called it earlier:

Darth Walrus posted:

Seems fairly obvious from Ep 15 and Cure Cosmos's design - she's a refugee from the Rainbow Planet who wants her culture's stuff back.

As I suspected, Blue Cat is literally space Robin Hood. I kind of like Mao though and hope she gets to keep some of her current gadgets/powers when she inevitably becomes a Precure later.

Based on the title it looks like we’ll finally start learning what her deal is come episode 19 (and I imagine the debut of Cure Cosmo won’t be far behind).

Next week we’re finally getting a focus episode on Hikaru for the first time in a while so that should be fun (there’s a shot of Hikaru crying on a swingset and her mom comforting her so maybe we’ll finally get some more information about her dad as well).

Also I noticed that we’re less than 20 episodes into the series and there’s only 5 Pens left to recover. So either they’re going to get a lot more scarce from now on or the writers have something different planned for the second half (hopefully they won’t pull a Smile and make the team gather them all up again from scratch).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 27, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay, this episode was just weird about Blue Cat's thieving. Hikaru and the others were totally fine with her stealing a bunch of poo poo when they got to the treasure room, even before Drams said that she sold the stuff to the poor. And their justification for allowing Blue Cat to steal the Planet Rainbow stuff was "It makes her happy." Which uh...? Not really a great justification for allowing someone to steal something! I mean it's pretty obvious Blue Cat has some sort of connection to Rainbow and if that had been revealed then I can see them defending her theft of it ("They were hers to begin with!") but overall them not even caring about stealing someone else's stuff is bizarre.

Larryb posted:

Unfortunately we never really get a scene with Coupe quite as awesome as the shot in the opening where he’s just tearing up grunts while in fairy form, as far as I can remember anyway (also he’s the only fairy in the entire franchise that never speaks, which I always found kind of weird).

We get a scene of Coupe beating up Snackies that's pretty similar to the theme song in one of the last episodes, and he actually does speak a little bit, just not in his fairy form, only in his Mysterious Guy form.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, must have forgot about that. When did Coupe ever speak?

Based on the evidence so far I’m assuming Mao is a resident of Planet Rainbow (or at least has some connection with it) and was there to recover her planet’s treasures, she seemed genuinely relieved when she saw them after all. Also judging by her monologue at the end there’s something else she’s still looking for and it appears to be part of some personal ambition/vendetta (she mentions something about having “the last laugh”).

Unless they pull some kind of twist like they did with Ace in DokiDoki it seems pretty obvious at this point that Mao/Blue Cat is going to be our 5th Cure, I’m assuming whatever she’s really after will play some role in her inevitably gaining her new powers.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 27, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay, this episode was just weird about Blue Cat's thieving. Hikaru and the others were totally fine with her stealing a bunch of poo poo when they got to the treasure room, even before Drams said that she sold the stuff to the poor. And their justification for allowing Blue Cat to steal the Planet Rainbow stuff was "It makes her happy." Which uh...? Not really a great justification for allowing someone to steal something! I mean it's pretty obvious Blue Cat has some sort of connection to Rainbow and if that had been revealed then I can see them defending her theft of it ("They were hers to begin with!") but overall them not even caring about stealing someone else's stuff is bizarre.

We get a scene of Coupe beating up Snackies that's pretty similar to the theme song in one of the last episodes, and he actually does speak a little bit, just not in his fairy form, only in his Mysterious Guy form.

I think the point is that there was no malice to Mao's delight when she saw the Planet Rainbow stuff - it got her to drop her guard as a hardass master thief and express sincere joy and relief. The Cures are all pretty emotionally intelligent, and they can tell when someone's encountered something that means a massive amount to them personally. Since they're already very aware that Drams doesn't give a poo poo about his hoard, it seems obvious who needs it more.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 27, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

The dude they were stealing from was fine with it since he setup the challenge in the first place. The weird thing about Blue Cat's thieving was that her plan involved walking up to the front door of her target to sneak in.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Huh, must have forgot about that. When did Coupe ever speak?

Using the Precure wiki and some Google, as far as I can tell, this is the only time Coupe speaks:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x703gtc

18 minute mark

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Using the Precure wiki and some Google, as far as I can tell, this is the only time Coupe speaks:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x703gtc

18 minute mark

Ah that’s right, I sort of wish they’d given Coupe a bit more to do in the series as aside from helping out occasionally in human form (and as a fairy towards the end) he just spends most of the season as a glorified piece of furniture.

Back onto Star Twinkle, I’m still hoping the Princesses get to be actual characters later in the series as opposed to just being stuck in their respective palaces the whole time. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mao was connected to them somehow as well, she did know right off the bat that Hikaru and the others were the Precure after all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Back onto Star Twinkle, I’m still hoping the Princesses get to be actual characters later in the series as opposed to just being stuck in their respective palaces the whole time. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mao was connected to them somehow as well, she did know right off the bat that Hikaru and the others were the Precure after all.

I think it's because Bakenyan is her informant.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it's because Bakenyan is her informant.

It could always be both. But yeah, I’m still betting that Mao and Bakenyan are connected in some fashion (she clearly seems to have some history with Aiwan at any rate).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

It could always be both. But yeah, I’m still betting that Mao and Bakenyan are connected in some fashion (she clearly seems to have some history with Aiwan at any rate).

Aiwan did not recognize her however, I am assuming Bakenyan just told her about them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Aiwan did not recognize her however, I am assuming Bakenyan just told her about them.

Ah, forgot about that. I agree that the whole “Bakenyan is a spy connected with Blue Cat” theory seems like the most logical explanation right now though.

Based on the title I assume we may get a bit more information in episode 19 but either way there seems to be more to Mao than she’s currently letting on.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 28, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

He gets a solid hit in on the villain in the Heartcatch movie and saves the cures from getting incinerated, but then he gets knocked offscreen and isn't seen again until the epilogue. But hey, he did save the day.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Bakenyan is a double (triple?) agent who is just making sure that the princess pens are all gathered in one spot so he can take them for the dark lord dude. He's playing Blue Cat like a goddamn fiddle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My theory on Bakenyan and Mao is that they're related. They have the same eye color and if you look, Mao's shades and Bakenyan's glasses are the exact same shape. Father/daughter or brother/sister, depending how old Bakenyan is supposed to be.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

My theory on Bakenyan and Mao is that they're related. They have the same eye color and if you look, Mao's shades and Bakenyan's glasses are the exact same shape. Father/daughter or brother/sister, depending how old Bakenyan is supposed to be.

They’re at least probably from the same planet/race at any rate. Though just because he and Mao may likely be related and/or working together doesn’t necessarily make Bakenyan secretly a good guy (mostly because of some of his dialogue and the brief glimpse of his real power we got a little while back) so it’s likely that one or both of them will wind up turning on each other once all the pieces are in place. Also Extra Cures generally seem to be a bit more personally connected to the main conflict than the main team is so this would kind of be par for the course as far as this franchise goes.

That said, Mao doesn’t really seem that personally interested in the Princess Pens thus far aside from their inherent value as treasure and instead seems to be after something more specific.

Our upcoming 5th member aside, like I mentioned before we’re less than 20 episodes in at this point and there’s only 5 pens left to find now. I have a feeling something really big is going to go down in the near future and that’ll lead us into the second half of the show (this time preferably with a new gimmick as opposed to just making the group track down all 13 pens all over again).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 28, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They probably are related but I'd be totally down for Bakenyan being Zenigata to Blue Cat's Lupin

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Blue Cat is Hikaru’s Dad

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

BattleCattle posted:

Blue Cat is Hikaru’s Dad

I find that hard to believe, to be honest. As we already know, Hikaru and Lala are long-lost twin sisters; If Blue Cat was their dad, then they would have recognized her already.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Captain Cappy posted:

I find that hard to believe, to be honest. As we already know, Hikaru and Lala are long-lost twin sisters; If Blue Cat was their dad, then they would have recognized her already.

Prunce was a long time fan of Mao’s, and even he was taken in by blue cat’s disguise. Don’t underestimate the wiles of an errant father.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Blue Cat is Hikaru’s Dad

One of her powers does involve shapeshifting after all (as evidenced from when she turned into Drams briefly in this episode).

But seriously though, unless they just come right out and say that he’s dead I wouldn’t be surprised if they pull a HeartCatch and have Hikaru’s dad turn out to be part of the NotRaiders (he did apparently share her interest in space and the supernatural after all and most of the books/equipment she uses were originally his).

Between that and the fact that Darknest seemed to awaken in direct response to Cure Star gaining a massive power boost it seems pretty clear they’re setting up something big with Hikaru and that’s why she hasn’t gotten a lot of personal focus yet despite wearing Pink.

Also while we’ve gotten slightly dysfunctional families in Precure before I think this may be the first series where nearly everyone’s got some baggage. Hikaru’s missing a dad and her grandfather is a bit of a grouch, Elena’s parents seem cool but they’re barely around because of work, Madoka’s mom seems fine but her dad is a hardass government agent who seems a bit emotionally abusive towards her, and Lala & Mao are aliens whose home planets/families we haven’t seen yet. I kind of like that to be honest, makes things feel a bit more realistic.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 28, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering all the factors against them so far (such as an ongoing investigation and the fact that they have a giant pink spaceship that should be viable during takeoff even if Lala can shrink it down when not in use) I wouldn’t be surprised if this team winds up getting their identities/the fact that two of their members are aliens revealed by the end of the season if not sooner.

With what I mentioned regarding some of their families I also wouldn’t be surprised if said reveal doesn’t go quite as smoothly for them as it has in past shows.

Also I’m assuming Mao is going to follow the girls back to Earth after becoming Cure Cosmo so we can probably expect a rehash of the Lala Goes to School episode in the near future.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Considering all the factors against them so far (such as an ongoing investigation and the fact that they have a giant pink spaceship that should be viable during takeoff even if Lala can shrink it down when not in use) I wouldn’t be surprised if this team winds up getting their identities/the fact that two of their members are aliens revealed by the end of the season if not sooner.

With what I mentioned regarding some of their families I also wouldn’t be surprised if said reveal doesn’t go quite as smoothly for them as it has in past shows.

Also I’m assuming Mao is going to follow the girls back to Earth after becoming Cure Cosmo so we can probably expect a rehash of the Lala Goes to School episode in the near future.

I mean, I doubt she'd have nearly as much difficulty as Lala did, seeing as both of her jobs require extreme adaptability.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, I doubt she'd have nearly as much difficulty as Lala did, seeing as both of her jobs require extreme adaptability.

True, she’s already leading a double life as an idol and a thief (and probably more that we don’t know about yet) so blending in wouldn’t be quite so difficult in her case. I still kind of want to see her interacting with Sakurako and the rest of Hikaru’s classmates though.

Speaking of Lala, I forget but has it been established yet where exactly she’s living now that she’s finally started to indoctrinate herself into Earth society (I assumed she just stayed on the ship when not with the others)?

Also Mao seems to have some useful abilities in her arsenal and I kind of hope a few of them stick around once she eventually becomes a Precure (in fact I actually wouldn’t mind if her Blue Cat persona stuck around a bit longer after Cosmo made her debut either). Given her profession I assume Mao has a ship of her own that we haven’t seen yet (she has to be getting around somehow after all plus she’d probably need a place to store the treasures she’s collected).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 28, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Something I should point out Mao is the persona, not Blue Cat. When Blue Cat disguises herself as Drams, the disguise has a few of Mao's characteristics. This implies to me that Blue Cat is what she actually looks like, Mao is just another disguise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Something I should point out Mao is the persona, not Blue Cat. When Blue Cat disguises herself as Drams, the disguise has a few of Mao's characteristics. This implies to me that Blue Cat is what she actually looks like, Mao is just another disguise.

Interesting take, I assumed it was just Mao’s idol persona that was fake but the body itself was her natural state (she uses that knockoff Princess Perfume to change forms after all). I do agree that personality wise Blue Cat is probably closer to the real “Mao” (assuming that’s even her actual name and not just an alias) but either way I’m guessing the civilian form is going to be sticking around for the duration (she likely will drop the cutesy act eventually though).

Like I said, I kind of hope Blue Cat sticks around even after Mao eventually gains Cure powers of her own (which barring a Cure Ace style bait and switch is almost guaranteed to happen at this point, plus the fact that Cure Cosmo looks like a natural fusion of Mao’s two main personas) and she just gains the ability to swap between them at will.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 29, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Pretty major Blue Cat spoilers from a recent magazine scan: she is Bakenyan. She has been disguising herself as him to try to get the power of the princesses, but Fuwa is going to smell her scent like she did in the recent episode and out her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Pretty major Blue Cat spoilers from a recent magazine scan: she is Bakenyan. She has been disguising herself as him to try to get the power of the princesses, but Fuwa is going to smell her scent like she did in the recent episode and out her.

That would explain why Mao seemed to know Aiwan in episode 15 but Aiwan didn’t recognize her.

The scans also show officIal confirmation that Blue Cat will indeed become Cure Cosmo and there’s a possibility that Cosmo may not be the last of the Star Twinkle Cures.

The scans in question can be found in this thread (scroll down towards the bottom):

https://prettycure.fandom.com/wiki/Thread:155396?useskin=oasis

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 30, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Because I feel like it, here are all of the aforementioned scans:

Blue Cat = Bakenyan:

Cure Cosmo:

Potential Red Sixth Cure:

There was another one in the batch showing two mystery girls but the general consensus seems to be that they were from a separate anime

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 29, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I get why the kids magazines spoil it but it'll never not be funny it happens

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on the title I’m assuming all of this will be going down in episode 19 with Cosmo making her debut the following week.

However, one of the pictures I posted displays a red ink bottle along with the main 5 (pink, green, yellow, purple and blue) which seems to imply the existence of a 6th Cure.

Therefore I can only assume they’re rushing ahead with Mao’s story so they have time to set up the new girl (though even then they could have always saved Cosmo for last ala Cure Muse and instead had Blue Cat stick around as an uneasy ally a bit longer so they could develop things a bit better).

Now I have no problem with this particular revelation in and of itself (it explains a lot regarding both characters), but it just feels way too soon for the writers to be playing this particular hand. As is usually the case, I wouldn’t be surprised if a few new NotRaider generals pop up before long as a result of this though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 30, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Just out of curiosity, which Cure took the longest to join the main team? Muse definitely took a good long while. I think Moonlight did too if I'm remembering correctly.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Moonlight, definitely. Or Milky Rose, if you count the fact that Milk was around for a whole show beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Larryb posted:

Cure Cosmo:

Nice to see Blue Cat supporting gay pride