Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I don't think Saunders is going to be a threat at 168. He's a gently caress up in his personal life, small for the division, and was overrated when he was at 160. Daniel Jacobs is the guy who could make a run at 168. Gilberto Ramirez has moved to 175, Chris Eubank Jr and Billy Joe Saunders are smallish and beatable, and even Callum Smith, though seemingly formidable, isn't a guaranteed loss for Jacobs either. The division, much like 154, is pretty wide open.

There are actually quite a few divisions crying out for unification in boxing currently. Other than the ones mentioned and obviously heavyweight division, 175 has a bunch of credible top guys (Kovalev, Gvozdyk, Beterbiev, Bivol), as well as 126 (Santa Cruz, Russell Jr, Valdez, Warrington) and 118 (Inoue, Donaire, Tete, Nery). The rest of 2019 and especially 2020 is looking bright for boxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
It appears the dad bod slopfest I predicted if Chris Arreola won on the Spece-Garcia undercard will come to pass. If Kownacki wins I expect him to fight Wilder before of after the latter rematches Ortiz

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1131247766712115200?s=19

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
so loma is fighting a guy named campbell and after looking him up it's a match i'm interested in seeing. loma should still win handily, obviously, but an olympic gold medal and pro experience with the likes of linares indicates to me that campbell is probably good enough to make dominating him impressive. has anyone actually seen him fight? what's your read on the match up?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Campbell IMO is one of the most skilled boxers in the UK but his pro career has been a disappointment. He lost a fight he shouldn't have against Yvan Mendy which set him back a couple of years, and as he turned pro relatively late it was extra costly. He fought very well against Linares - I know Linares has been stopped by lesser fighters but few have outboxed him for long periods and held their own in terms of handspeed. I expect that he keeps up with Loma for the first few rounds but gets broken down and stopped late.

In an era when Crolla and Ricky Burns have become world champions at lightweight he can count himself pretty unlucky.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I’ve seen Campbell fight, he’s a good fighter. He should have been a Lomachenko opponent instead of Crolla. Lomachenko should beat him, but it’s not a complete mismatch by any means.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Here is the full fight between Campbell and Jorge Linares from September 2017. As was noted it was super close fight though after the first rounds I thought Linares was going to blow him out especially after Campbell was knocked down in the second round. It is to Luke's credit that he rallied back and beating Mendy the second time shows he can adapt but Lomachenko's style is something that largely can only be contained. I think it will be a lot like Lomachenko-Pedraza and I can see a late stoppage or wide decision for Loma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqcLiapf3U

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 28, 2019

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Related to Lomachekno and Campbell in a somewhat busy if not star studded weekend of boxing last week rising prospect Devin Haney had a huge win in what was supposed to be the card featuring Usyk-Takam. Haney is also at 135 like Loma and Campbell and the first attempt to build a star through DAZN as Haney had fought mainly on Shobox (another sign that things are looking bad for Showtime staying in the sport). Haney, Teofimo Lopez and Ryan Garcia are the long build for possible opponents for Lomachenko or if someone like Tank Davis or Tevin Farmer can get big down the line.

https://twitter.com/DAZN_USA/status/1132478461656862720

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Wilder/Ortiz II has been signed, likely for September 28th. Terrible news obviously, as it means Wilder is tied up for the rest of the year, and it probably also means that Joshua and Fury fight guys like Trevor Bryan and Adam Kownacki next, instead of each-other.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Wilder/Ortiz II has been signed, likely for September 28th. Terrible news obviously, as it means Wilder is tied up for the rest of the year, and it probably also means that Joshua and Fury fight guys like Trevor Bryan and Adam Kownacki next, instead of each-other.

this is insane to me. ortiz is a terrible match up for wilder and ortiz almost knocked him the gently caress out in their first fight. i have no idea why wilder wants that again.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Wilder has improved since then (as in he can now throw sharp, technically correct punches instead of windmills) while Ortiz has looked like a slow old lump. It's set up for another highlight reel KO.

Very sneaky of them to announce this immediately before the Joshua fight.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

this is insane to me. ortiz is a terrible match up for wilder and ortiz almost knocked him the gently caress out in their first fight. i have no idea why wilder wants that again.

Pretty sure Wilder likes Ortiz personally quite a lot, due to both of them having a young daughter, and he probably wants to give the guy another big payday.

As for the fight itself, I don’t see a lot of danger. Ortiz is already somewhere in his early 40s and will be a year and a half older this time, and Wilder appears to have learned/improved some from the first Ortiz fight. I see it being similar to the first fight without Wilder getting hurt, and he probably stops Ortiz more quickly this time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It’s a straight forward fight for Wilder that has enough drama (he got clocked in the first fight! It’s a bad style matchup, etc) to promote.

Wilder and Ortiz are basically doing the same act as Joshua and Whyte.

I’m not an Ortiz age truther, but he’s clearly past whatever his prime was and he’s not getting younger. Wilder is a lot more legit than people give him credit for too.

After this my understanding is that the Kownacki is the default if nothing else happens, but they might make a play for a Fury or Joshua fight, depending on how those platforms are performing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1133723754524098561?s=19

Presented without comment

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There are all kinds of obstacles to making fights happen between the big three at heavyweight that will need to be settled somehow. Wilder is in a pretty good position compared to the other two because he has one of those obstacles solved: Wilder doesn't have an exclusive deal with any one network (as far as I know), whereas Fury and Joshua would need to square away the clashing business models of ESPN's pay per view approach and DAZN's subscription service. Both networks courted Wilder earlier in the year and he turned them both down, so either he thinks he's got a better deal where he is than whatever they are offering him or he's expecting that he can get a better deal later.

Fighting Ortiz is a good move from that perspective, Wilder doesn't want to be the B-side on another fighter's network and the Ortiz rematch is possibly the biggest fight he could make where he is the A-side. He already beat Ortiz so he knows he can win the rematch, and there was at least some intrigue in the first fight. That's already a lot more than you can say about nearly anyone else in this division right now. In signing this fight he in turn puts pressure on Fury and Joshua to either find more no-hope opponents to fill out the rest of the calendar year or compete to secure Wilder for a big fight in December or early next year.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Joseph Parker signed with Matchroom and is fighting Eric Molina on the 29th (undercard of Andrade/Suelcki) so, if all this bullshit continues and he can rack up some wins a Joshua rematch could be in the nearish future.

Edit: come to think of it Usyk-Parker could be pretty neat

https://twitter.com/MatchroomBoxing/status/1134519246258679808?s=19

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Joe Parker is the most overrated top heavyweight in the division.

I largely agree but he seems to the best of the "b minus to c" level I'm thinking like Dereck Chisora, Carlos Takam, Dominic Brezeale tier

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 31, 2019

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Joe Parker is the most overrated top heavyweight in the division.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Carl_Froch/status/1134358064415543296
gotta admire him for sticking to the bit

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Per Coppinger and Benson after Wilder-Ortiz and Fury-Schwarz the Wilder-Fury 2 is already signed for early 2020

Edit:

Shades of Mayweather announcing this the day before AJ-Ruiz

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1134586827623555073?s=19

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 1, 2019

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yep I just saw the ESPN article. Finally some good news from the heavyweight division.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Well this didn’t age well.

If Wilder/Fury 2 actually happens in early 2020, it will position the winner to earn a far more lucrative contract against Anthony Joshua than if Wilder (or Fury) had actually signed to fight Joshua next. If the winner of this fights Joshua at the end of 2020, it would be the biggest heavyweight fight since Lewis/Tyson; probably even bigger, from both a financial and relevancy perspective. So something is inevitably going to screw it up.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This does reveal a lot about the Joshua-Wilder negotiations and why Wilder’s team had so much trouble giving a clear reason for backing out of the three contract deal. They very likely already had large pieces of this plan already in place and a 3 fight DAZN deal would completely torpedo that.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

On the topic of Parker, I think he has a lot of the tools to be successful (sadly nothing otherworldly, which seems more and more important in the heavies) but he lacks the kind of killer instinct needed to close out tough fights.

I’d pick him over Whyte in a rematch though and I disagree that he’s overrated, since most people don’t seem to rate him very highly at all.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

This does reveal a lot about the Joshua-Wilder negotiations and why Wilder’s team had so much trouble giving a clear reason for backing out of the three contract deal. They very likely already had large pieces of this plan already in place and a 3 fight DAZN deal would completely torpedo that.

It also gives credence to the theory that FOX and ESPN - through PBC and Top Rank - are willing to cooperate (or collude) in order to freeze out DAZN.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

On the topic of Parker, I think he has a lot of the tools to be successful (sadly nothing otherworldly, which seems more and more important in the heavies) but he lacks the kind of killer instinct needed to close out tough fights.

I’d pick him over Whyte in a rematch though and I disagree that he’s overrated, since most people don’t seem to rate him very highly at all.

He's physically ordinary (6'4, short arms) and doesn't have good power, and he's pretty timid in nature for a boxer. I don't think he beats Whyte, or Usyk, or Povetkin, or any of the big 3. He's never really shown he can be a superior operator on the world level. His best win was against Andy Ruiz, and that could have gone either way. I think he settles into a gatekeeper role in the future. Another loss and he's there already.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think I like his upside because I thought he did really surprisingly well against Joshua.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Well this didn’t age well.

If Wilder/Fury 2 actually happens in early 2020, it will position the winner to earn a far more lucrative contract against Anthony Joshua than if Wilder (or Fury) had actually signed to fight Joshua next. If the winner of this fights Joshua at the end of 2020, it would be the biggest heavyweight fight since Lewis/Tyson; probably even bigger, from both a financial and relevancy perspective. So something is inevitably going to screw it up.

So does this just leave Joshua beating up a few bums until late 2020? Hard to see any interesting matches for him that would actually get made.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

It also gives credence to the theory that FOX and ESPN - through PBC and Top Rank - are willing to cooperate (or collude) in order to freeze out DAZN.

Definitely, some real power moves are being made.

Wilder is laughing because even if he gets schooled (again) and loses his belt to Fury, it won't matter much. He can then fight Joshua as a challenger and still make it a huge fight.

Monday Bandele fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 1, 2019

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
So of course lost in this Wilder-Fury talk (as was the intention) Joshua makes his American debut against Andy Ruiz Jr. tonight. I'm thinking he'll struggle a bit at first with Ruiz's much talked about FAST HANDS but should be able get past that by just throwing to put him away in the 5th or so

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Anyone calling for an upset tonight? I don't know much about the guy Devon Alexander is fighting so maybe that one?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

Anyone calling for an upset tonight? I don't know much about the guy Devon Alexander is fighting so maybe that one?

Alexander is fighting Ivan Redkach of Ukraine. He's basically a brawler who I'd describe at the poor man Sergei Lipinets or maybe late career Ruslan Provodnikov if they Miguel Cotto's tribal chest tattoo. He lost a pretty crazy war with John Molina Jr. in December 2017 which I'll link below. Devon could be washed enough to lose but unless he's really far gone I'd still have to give him the edge over Redkach.

Other than that I'd say most of my predicitions mirror those of the 'experts'. Katie Taylor should win a wide UD over Delfine Persoon. Callum Smith very wide UD with like 5 knockdowns over Hassan N'Dam and-as I posted earlier-early to mid stoppage for AJ over Ruiz. The only fight that could be a real 'upset' is Chris Algieri losing to Tommy Coyle. Avocado man looked bad in his last fight coming out of being retired and he just might not have it in him to be a fighter any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4SRRy3kT7M

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Joshua’s future plans probably include some lineup Whyte/Parker rematches, Usyk, maybe Hunter. Miller when his suspension ends.

Not bums, but not Wilder/Fury either

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think Josh Kelly might get exposed in his step up by the New/Real/Whatever Ray Robinson, he fought like a clown in his last fight against a no hoper and still got hit too much and cut under the eye.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Monday Bandele posted:

I think Josh Kelly might get exposed in his step up by the New/Real/Whatever Ray Robinson, he fought like a clown in his last fight against a no hoper and still got hit too much and cut under the eye.

good call. did anyone see the fight? this will put the breaks on the hype train for sure.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also i don't know if anyone watched taylor / persoon just now but it's the best fight i've seen in a long while.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Marching Powder posted:

also i don't know if anyone watched taylor / persoon just now but it's the best fight i've seen in a long while.

Idk it was just too sloppy at the end for me. Maybe that's slightly misogynistic of me because I know I'd be losing my poo poo if those were men but it is what is. Close fight but Persoon got robbed

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

Idk it was just too sloppy at the end for me. Maybe that's slightly misogynistic of me because I know I'd be losing my poo poo if those were men but it is what is. Close fight but Persoon got robbed

eh it is what it is but when two people have been going balls to the wall since the first bell the fact that it's sloppy at the end just adds to the narrative for me.

i thought persoon won but it was so close that i can understand the champ getting the nod.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

That was a pretty lit sweet Caroline

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

customary 'ban national anthems at boxing' post

edit: especially the american one

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
This is the most physically mismatched fight I’ve ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

it's not the size of the dog in the fight