Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

my printer has a built-in FTP server that'll print out PDFs

The conversation has moved on, but I couldn't let this pass without a :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Docjowles posted:

The conversation has moved on, but I couldn't let this pass without a :stare:

Yeah, it's a terrible loving idea for a feature for so many reasons, especially since there doesn't seem to be a way to require authentication for it, but it does what I need, so hopefully I won't come home one day to a ream of paper in the output tray full of solid black pages.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
A few stupid linux newbie question here.

I've been migrating my home server from Windows Server to a ProxMox based setup with several VM's running. Most of my prior linux experience has been pretty superficial so this is the first time I'm really digging in to a lot of it.

First off, coming from a Windows/DOS background the file/folder concept is a little foreign to me. I can pretty much wrap my head around a fair amount of the folder structure, but what am I supposed to do with my hard drives? I have a mish-mash of hard drives that I currently have mounted under /mnt/name_that_makes_sense_to_me. Reading a bit, it sounds like the /mnt/ folder is more meant to be for temporary drives like USB. Is there a more standard location for this?

From there I have them shared via Samba and brought to my various VM's as network drives in Windows or mounted in the mount hierarchy. Sharing drives via network that are on the same machine seems a bit odd to me, but as far as I can tell that's best way to go about this?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

A few stupid linux newbie question here.

I've been migrating my home server from Windows Server to a ProxMox based setup with several VM's running. Most of my prior linux experience has been pretty superficial so this is the first time I'm really digging in to a lot of it.

First off, coming from a Windows/DOS background the file/folder concept is a little foreign to me. I can pretty much wrap my head around a fair amount of the folder structure, but what am I supposed to do with my hard drives? I have a mish-mash of hard drives that I currently have mounted under /mnt/name_that_makes_sense_to_me. Reading a bit, it sounds like the /mnt/ folder is more meant to be for temporary drives like USB. Is there a more standard location for this?

From there I have them shared via Samba and brought to my various VM's as network drives in Windows or mounted in the mount hierarchy. Sharing drives via network that are on the same machine seems a bit odd to me, but as far as I can tell that's best way to go about this?

mnt is fine, that what its there for. Temporary stuff usually gets mounted somewhere else.

As for the drives inside the VM, it is possible to use something like P9 to mount a folder inside a VM or pass them through as a whole. You have the problem that Windows needs NTFS and drives used by Linux are usually EXT4 which Windows natively does not have any drivers for.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

mnt is fine, that what its there for. Temporary stuff usually gets mounted somewhere else.

As for the drives inside the VM, it is possible to use something like P9 to mount a folder inside a VM or pass them through as a whole. You have the problem that Windows needs NTFS and drives used by Linux are usually EXT4 which Windows natively does not have any drivers for.

Thanks. They are NTFS drives, but I mounted them in Linux (ProxMox) using ntfs-3g and all seems fine? I assume EXT4 mounted drives shared via Samba would be accessible by Windows VMs?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Thanks. They are NTFS drives, but I mounted them in Linux (ProxMox) using ntfs-3g and all seems fine? I assume EXT4 mounted drives shared via Samba would be accessible by Windows VMs?

You are mounting the drives twice, once in Linux and once inside Windows which should not be done. NTFS is not built for simultaneous access by two operating systems. The better way is to not mount them on Linux at all and just pass them through as a whole in a VM.

Ext4 drives shared by Samba will work fine on Windows because the SMB driver will do the translation between Ext4 and Windows.

Edit: I just realized that you probably have the NTFS drives shared via Samba and not mounted inside a VM, that works fine. If you don't want to use Samba to get to the data on your drives inside a VM I would just pass through the whole disk.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 25, 2019

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I recently tried using Proxmox and I couldn't get away with it. It's a nice interface and everything, but I didn't like the way it handles storage. I thought that if I created some storage on one node (I ended up with two separate machines running Proxmox on the same vlan), then the other node would be able to use it. I thought that this was one of the selling points of Proxmox but I just got a small question mark on the other node, where it could see the storage but not use it.

I also didn't particularly like the way it had problems flattening a disk when I'd misconfigured an LVM or I'd misconfigured a "directory store", as Proxmox calls another type of storage. Numerous times I found myself running the built-in shell and dd'ing a load of zeros to the start of the disk, just so I could flatten the partition table and start again so that Proxmox would see it as a new block device.

I then thought that the ceph feature looked neat, but as I understand it you need 3 nodes to run ceph and I just lost interest by that point. I was gonna try out live migration of a VM but I couldn't even get offline migration working and it actually booting on the other side.

I then sort of realised that you can do the basics of everything that Proxmox does (without the fancier stuff) if you just use a solid distro, kvm and the terminal.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Proxmox is able to use ZFS or some other backing store but the storage subsystem needs to support multiple host access. ZFS is not built for that, it supports it via some trickery ( Nexenta has a HA plugin as does Oracle ), but the storage is only "active" on one node at a time.

Ceph is better in this regard, even though active - active storage is a really difficult problem.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hwy I was tooling around to try to get my main windows gaming PC and just convert it over to linux like the rest of my stuff.

I have been doing a few tests on lutris, anyone have experience with it? My vms and laptop are simply not well setup to do more than a few games and certainly not some high end stuff. So I am wary of making the full jump cause my previous attempts using docker and wine on a windows dual boot never are encouraging.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I've never had complete success with wine or any of the various branch-offs, though I haven't tried in years so it might be a lot better now. I had much more success with GPU passthrough, but that's not a good solution if you are trying to get rid of windows completely.

One problem wine & co. had that I don't think ever goes away is they had specific shunts for the behavior of specific games, and so if you were trying to play an often updated online game it would sometimes just stop working until someone fix whatever broke in the patch, so stuff like wow, overwatch, lol, etc. tended to be somewhat frustrating. Single player stuff fared a lot better just because it wasn't updated as much.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

If you own the games you want on Steam, they recently enabled a bundled/integrated version of Wine ("Proton") to play unported Windows games on Linux. By default it's only available for games where the developer has verified that it works, but you can flip a switch to enable it for everything. It seems to work fairly well, and completely hides the fiddly parts of Wine. Of course, YMMV depending on the games you play, and it's only for Steam.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Anyone compiled from scratch before?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, like 20 years ago when that was a sensible thing to do. :v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah, when I was first learning on a debian machine in the 1990s I did build and compile stuff. The allure lost its luster fast :smith:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Axe-man posted:

Yeah, when I was first learning on a debian machine in the 1990s I did build and compile stuff. The allure lost its luster fast :smith:

Somewhere around 2002 I did a from-scratch stage 1 Gentoo install, following along with some tutorial.

I'll let you know how I like it as soon as it finishes compiling. :rimshot:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Haha I did that too. When I was a entry level tech support fodder. I thought it would teach me linux... it did and made me hate it with a passion. Haha. Then windows vista came out and made me look for better distro.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Powered Descent posted:

Somewhere around 2002 I did a from-scratch stage 1 Gentoo install, following along with some tutorial.

I'll let you know how I like it as soon as it finishes compiling. :rimshot:

Same and I learned to never drink and Gentoo. So i gave up Gentoo :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

Anyone compiled from scratch before?

I do an LFS/BLFS every year, I usually learn something from it that a package-driven distribution protects me from :v:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

When I was just using Ubuntu desktop about 6 or 7 years ago, I had a little bit of terminal experience. I installed Arch from scratch. I didn't compile anything though.

There was a guy on YouTube with a tutorial and the video was over 2 hours in length, if I remember correctly.

I had to keep rewinding the video, kept loving it up and starting again and it took me all weekend to get it right. Eventually, I got it right and I had a bootable system. I didn't do much with that command line system I'd installed from scratch.

This was around the time that I decided to remove python from Ubuntu because I could see that there was a newer version installed and it took me a couple of hours to find out why my operating system was running weird.

A bit of perseverance and a few years later, I'm sysadminning for a job. :cool:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Sorry, boss, it will be a while until those cloud servers are ready to help us deal with this traffic spike, but you will be glad to know that they just started compiling.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Computer viking posted:

If you own the games you want on Steam, they recently enabled a bundled/integrated version of Wine ("Proton") to play unported Windows games on Linux.
Ooh. I had no idea. I only got steam working on Fedora 30 yesterday. Still not sure if F30 is for me BTW.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Computer viking posted:

If you own the games you want on Steam, they recently enabled a bundled/integrated version of Wine ("Proton") to play unported Windows games on Linux. By default it's only available for games where the developer has verified that it works, but you can flip a switch to enable it for everything. It seems to work fairly well, and completely hides the fiddly parts of Wine. Of course, YMMV depending on the games you play, and it's only for Steam.

You can launch almost anything with proton these days: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/99fjzw/steam_proton_for_non_steam_applications/

Also, proton is best used with the directx -> vulkan wrapper so you do need a decently recent GPU, especially if you own a nvidia. A lot of games just hang on my 900 series geforce.

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 26, 2019

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

My 1050ti managers just fine with most games but the last couple of updates of proton and nvidia drivers have been a marked improvement.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm just hoping that the next generation of mid/high-range Radeon cards will be good; I'd love to move back to the AMD side again but I'm not about to spend $200-300 if it doesn't also come with a performance upgrade.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, it's a terrible loving idea for a feature for so many reasons, especially since there doesn't seem to be a way to require authentication for it, but it does what I need, so hopefully I won't come home one day to a ream of paper in the output tray full of solid black pages.

I think you'll be fine as long as you don't expose that through your routers' firewall.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

VostokProgram posted:

I think you'll be fine as long as you don't expose that through your routers' firewall.

Wait, you don't keep your printers in the DMZ?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

RFC2324 posted:

Wait, you don't keep your printers in the DMZ?

At my old community college, people doing homework for the linux classes would often accidentally print to the classroom printer while at home because all of the printers (and desktops and public WiFi) had public IPs configured and the school didn't have a firewall.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sending hosed up poo poo to unintentionally printers in the dorm was a popular troll when I was in college. But this was also like the Win98 / early XP era of "lol what are security settings and firewalls?" from Microsoft.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Docjowles posted:

Sending hosed up poo poo to unintentionally printers in the dorm was a popular troll when I was in college. But this was also like the Win98 / early XP era of "lol what are security settings and firewalls?" from Microsoft.

In the early 2000s HP network printers had a great feature where you could change what the LCD panel said by logging into them. I changed some of the ones at work to say things like "FEED ME A KITTEN."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In the early 2000s HP network printers had a great feature where you could change what the LCD panel said by logging into them. I changed some of the ones at work to say things like "FEED ME A KITTEN."

I set the one in my cubicle farm to OUT OF PICKLES. I wanted something that looked like an error at first glance, but was so absurd that no one would take it seriously.

You didn't even need to log into them as I recall.. it was almost like an snmp trap, you send a packet to a port with a correct header and your text inside and it would blindly put it on the LCD screen. It was like a 10 line perl script.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xzzy posted:

I set the one in my cubicle farm to OUT OF PICKLES. I wanted something that looked like an error at first glance, but was so absurd that no one would take it seriously.

You didn't even need to log into them as I recall.. it was almost like an snmp trap, you send a packet to a port with a correct header and your text inside and it would blindly put it on the LCD screen. It was like a 10 line perl script.

This sounds like something awesome to pair with the BOFH excuse calendar

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

apropos man posted:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I don't mind, for home use. I usually leave NetworkManager running on my home stuff but we use a lot of RHEL and CentOS boxes at work for running our application and DB servers on.

The boss has everything configured with NetworkManager disabled and most (if not all!) of our Linux boxes are configured with static IP's using the ifcfg scripts. A lot of our stuff is still on RHEL6, mind.

We're actively trying to update everything to RHEL/CentOS 7 and it's coming along. I guess when we jump from 7 to 8 we will have to look at using NetworkManager in future.

Theoretically the ifcfg file format is the same whether it is parsed/activated by the legacy scripts or NM. So when you test with RHEL 8 just do what you normally do and it should "just work". You'll have to ensure the kickstart doesn't disable/remove NetworkManager and that NM_CONTROLLED=no is not set in the ifcfg files but other than that you should be good to go.

Also, there is a 'network-scripts' package in RHEL 8 that installs the legacy scripts. They are 'deprecated' so are supported in RHEL 8 but are planned for removal in RHEL 9.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Since I found out that the directory was empty I'd kinda figured that was the case. I was configuring a VLAN on a Fedora 30 virt host at the weekend and just putting these files in the network-scripts directory:

code:
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 318 May 22 23:38 ifcfg-bridge-br0
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root  49 May 25 21:11 ifcfg-bridge-br0.20
Resulted in them being picked up on reboot and the VLAN working. So, it's not preventing me from doing things the old way. I guess by the time that it's fully deprecated there'll be loads more information but at the moment it seems a bit scant, apart from the official RH site.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 28, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Axe-man posted:

Building XFree86 from scratch on my 486 because I needed to email one of the devs to get a patch to support my S3 Virge took.....a while :shobon:

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I'm a developer that has recently switched from OSX to Solus. Overall it's been a fantastic experience but I'm finding the ecosystem to be a bit frustrating. Rarely can I just install something using the package manager and just have it work like with Brew like on OSX. I'm hoping to find something that *just* works.

Is this true for all distros or would switching to a distro with a larger community like Linux Mint be beneficial?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the linux experience in a nutshell. A second distro will fix one annoyance only to create another.

Ubuntu or Fedora if you want to stay close to the cutting edge. Mint is probably fine but I never used it myself.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
^^ This is true to an extent, but I’d venture to guess that yes, you’d have an easier time with an Ubuntu or derivative than with Solus. It’s a cool distro but IME the software repos aren’t nearly as fully-loaded and supported as the bigger distros.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

fourwood posted:

^^ This is true to an extent, but I’d venture to guess that yes, you’d have an easier time with an Ubuntu or derivative than with Solus. It’s a cool distro but IME the software repos aren’t nearly as fully-loaded and supported as the bigger distros.

True, but you may have the opposite problem of wanting a package that is technically in the repo but has been on the old version for like literally 12 years now and not likely to change, so you have to download and compile it anyway.

It's just the linux life.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My Jetson Nano arrived today. I downloaded the image and wrote it to SD. Ran it. I think I just witnessed Ubuntu commit suicide.
It tried to do some updates, uninstalled some stuff then noted it was missing. Then apt poo poo itself because the OS never attempted or offered to sort out the date and time. "Holy poo poo! All these packages are coming from over a year in the future. Aaaahhh!".
I think a re-imaging is in its future.

e: This was at the bottom of an apt upgrade

code:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.140-tegra
Warning: couldn't identify filesystem type for fsck hook, ignoring.
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/aarch64-linux-gnu_EGL.conf: No such file or directory
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/aarch64-linux-gnu_GL.conf: No such file or directory
Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.2-1ubuntu1) ...

This does not inspire confidence.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

SoftNum posted:

True, but you may have the opposite problem of wanting a package that is technically in the repo but has been on the old version for like literally 12 years now and not likely to change, so you have to download and compile it anyway.

It's just the linux life.

This has been my biggest irritation about linux really. I'd love to install everything from one central repository that is updated frequently and not have to worry about adding a dozen different PPAs but besides possibly the Arch User Repository I don't think there's anything like that in linux land and Arch just ain't my thing. Surely everyone else wants this too right? I feel like this should be a very high priority for all distros. Basically just do what google did with the android play store and I'd be happy.

I can get some people needing an option to install an older "stable" version of a program but just provide that functionality within the repo manager.