Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/jackfrank_jjf/status/1133094455370608641?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Save those rookie checks my man.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think whole article is supposed to be optimistic about his recovery but yeah that is a heck of a thing to just drop in the middle there. That whole family is cursed.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my grandma had that, she had to wear a plastic insole for a few months. she's dead now.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

hifi posted:

my grandma had that, she had to wear a plastic insole for a few months. she's dead now.

That does not bode well for Porter, Jr.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

I think whole article is supposed to be optimistic about his recovery but yeah that is a heck of a thing to just drop in the middle there. That whole family is cursed.

It's the front not the middle

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

IcePhoenix posted:

It's the front not the middle

If I had a dollar

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Pro click.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26821790/lakers-20-failed-reboot-nba-crown-jewel

https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/1133351801279979520?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

:eyepop:
https://twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1133355381361643520?s=19

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Here we FUCKIN GO WOLVES

https://www.canishoopus.com/2019/5/28/18642589/report-wolves-to-hire-sachin-gupta-as-vp-of-basketball-operations-nba-offseason

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1133383251697864704

We got the guy who developed the NBA TRADE MACHINE :woop:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't really have an opinion on this, yet, but it may be worth some thought:

https://twitter.com/jcraw55/status/1133325959531311106

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Kibner posted:

Wow Jordan Crawford and Rod Strickland are mad the league no longer gives infinite leash to undersized 2 guards who do nothing but isolate into a 15 foot jumper

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

Wow Jordan Crawford and Rod Strickland are mad the league no longer gives infinite leash to undersized 2 guards who do nothing but isolate into a 15 foot jumper

I think that this thinking is illustrative of other player thinking! think melo all star votes. Having a set of moves is skill. playing winning basketball, anybody can do that

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Kibner posted:

Crawford has publicly been super bitter at not being signed by anyone.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Crawford has publicly been super bitter at not being signed by anyone.

I know since I follow him. But Rod Strickland is still involved with the G-League as a coach, iirc. So, it is interesting seeing this coming from him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, that Lakers article has layers.

quote:

Regarding Pelinka's fate, front-office staffers, coaching staff members and others close to the team point to the power and influence held by Linda Rambis. Her title within the Lakers is executive director of special projects, but Rambis, the wife of former Laker Kurt Rambis, is better known within and around the organization as perhaps Jeanie Buss' closest friend and confidant. And Linda Rambis, team staffers said, has long been an ardent supporter and ally of Pelinka for reasons some staffers said they don't fully understand. "Nobody gets it," one coaching staff member said.

In some circles around the NBA, Linda Rambis has been referred to as a "shadow owner" of the Lakers, a title that one front-office staffer said Rambis enjoys, noting: "She loves it," and that "she controls and manipulates Jeanie." Kurt Rambis -- a Lakers senior basketball adviser and close associate of Phil Jackson, the former Lakers coach and Jeanie Buss' ex-fiance -- sat in on the team's coaching meetings throughout the season, creating a sense of unease. Staffers had already suspected he would report back to Linda and thus Pelinka and Buss, but a Lakers spokesperson insisted Walton invited Kurt Rambis to those meetings.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26821790/lakers-20-failed-reboot-nba-crown-jewel

Magic Johnson was absolutely right to leave and tweet automated box score synopsis.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think we're better off without Magic, but I still don't think we have great people left running the place. Just less bad than Magic

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think that this thinking is illustrative of other player thinking! think melo all star votes. Having a set of moves is skill. playing winning basketball, anybody can do that

Yeah, and I totally get it - until this recent generation of rich kid legacy players and lab grown, aau raised government experiments these guys learned to play on neighborhood courts from streetball guys and they valued that one on one game as an expression of your individual power as a player. Don’t call fouls, be tough, break dudes down with crossovers and guard them by hitting them

It’s definitely painful to be pushed out of the league by people playing in exactly the way you were taught was bullshit, and weakness

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

also one time he dunked on lebron when that meant something and then nike tried to confiscate the tapes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

also one time he dunked on lebron when that meant something and then nike tried to confiscate the tapes

I can still picture the video in my head, and how hilarious it was they thought a practice dunk in an empty gym was worth going full memory hole over

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I sympathize with them, to me the things that Rod Strickland/Crawford are doing just are more impressive to me and probably always will be.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I sympathize with them, to me the things that Rod Strickland/Crawford are doing just are more impressive to me and probably always will be.
We need a new And1 Mixtape tour so that these men are not forgotten amid the Jaylens and Jadens with 7 foot wingspans and no ability to turn over either shoulder

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

We need a new And1 Mixtape tour so that these men are not forgotten amid the Jaylens and Jadens with 7 foot wingspans and no ability to turn over either shoulder

Eventually the Big 3 will start drafting people out of high school, I hope.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1133466348724658176?s=19
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1133488559283945472?s=19

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think the playoffs are mostly fine as-is but play-ins are one of those things that I could see doing a lot of ratings.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

I think the playoffs are mostly fine as-is but play-ins are one of those things that I could see doing a lot of ratings.

I would certainly enjoy watching it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It'd be really nice for those ~45 win teams to have some competitive games before getting bounced out of the first round.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Lockback posted:

It'd be really nice for those ~45 win teams to have some competitive games before getting bounced out of the first round.

Especially if they do end up shortening the season. There will be plenty of (monetary) incentive to try to at least get a play-in game and then the last couple games before the playoffs will be exciting for reasons other than Anfernee Simons going off for 40 points against the Kings.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bill Simmons finally got his memos through to Adam Silver.

The “cup” sounds like an interesting idea, but something big has to be on the line to make it worthwhile. I think I’d prefer 1-16 conference-free seeding over play-in games, though comparing with baseball it seems like something that will maintain attention and do big ratings.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Bucks look pretty locked in to their current core BUT if they let Middleton and Mirotic walk and trade away Illyasova, without taking more than 3.5m back, they would have max space. (you could also trade away Snell instead of Illyasova, but I think that'd be too difficult I don't see who takes on that contract).

How about Kyrie playing next to Giannis? That would be an incredible fit and he'd be much better for them than MIddleton was this season. Not sure where that leaves Bledsoe, probably you package him early in the season to get someone to play the 3 now Middleton has gone (perhaps Covington in Minnesota? They need a point guard).

Sadly I'm not sure Kyrie would be interested in going to Milwaukee.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
One of the Hornets’ two beat writers is reporting that Kemba “wants to re-sign with the Hornets and the feeling is still mutual, according to league sources.”

This is going to go so poorly

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

harperdc posted:

Bill Simmons finally got his memos through to Adam Silver.

The “cup” sounds like an interesting idea, but something big has to be on the line to make it worthwhile. I think I’d prefer 1-16 conference-free seeding over play-in games, though comparing with baseball it seems like something that will maintain attention and do big ratings.

Free seeding is a scheduling nightmare though. Everyone is complaining about the 9pm EST starts in the Finals, what if you have 6 of those in the first round? There could potentially be games overlapping each other because there wouldn't be a balance of East Coast/West Coast games. I think it would be more competitive, but it would hurt ratings and make games harder to watch.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1133756758202040320?s=19

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1133758808474497024?s=21

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

Bucks look pretty locked in to their current core BUT if they let Middleton and Mirotic walk and trade away Illyasova, without taking more than 3.5m back, they would have max space. (you could also trade away Snell instead of Illyasova, but I think that'd be too difficult I don't see who takes on that contract).

How about Kyrie playing next to Giannis? That would be an incredible fit and he'd be much better for them than MIddleton was this season. Not sure where that leaves Bledsoe, probably you package him early in the season to get someone to play the 3 now Middleton has gone (perhaps Covington in Minnesota? They need a point guard).

Sadly I'm not sure Kyrie would be interested in going to Milwaukee.

The problem is so many people have money this summer that it's hard to think that someone isn't going to overpay for their parts.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i can’t imagine them getting fair value for capela unless they moved him for like ad or something

it’d be stupid to replace him with an inferior version just so they can have, like, paul george or something

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

i can’t imagine them getting fair value for capela unless they moved him for like ad or something

it’d be stupid to replace him with an inferior version just so they can have, like, paul george or something

You have a very, very high opinion of Capela. Not that this would happen, but you trade Capela for, like, Gorgui Dieng + PG13 every day of the week.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

You have a very, very high opinion of Capela. Not that this would happen, but you trade Capela for, like, Gorgui Dieng + PG13 every day of the week.

he’s an ideal pick and roll finisher, rim runner, rebounder, and interior defender for the scheme the rockets are running

short of grabbing gobert or 2009 dwight howard you aren’t going to find a better piece for the system d’antoni is running

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i’m mostly poo pooing morey panicking and screaming out for more stars every offseason like he’s the nemesis from re3; paul george is definitely better than capela in a vacuum but i feel like that hypothetical dieng trade would make the rockets worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
One could maybe argue that Capella is a good big to stick next to Zion and Julius Randle.

http://tradenba.com/trades/H1f1BP3pE

Maybe not the upside potential some other AD deals have but they could be competing with Zion sooner rather than later.