Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
borrow red star from client state north korea? pardon me, but this would be a great loss of face.

we need some 9-9-6ers on this, stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

steal it and put four more stars on it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:nsa:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

welp, that sounds pretty secure. checkmate nsailures

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Soricidus posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread: checkmate nsailures.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

The task of developing the new OS and replacing Windows will fall to a new "Internet Security Information Leadership Group," as first reported by the Epoch Times, citing the May issue of the Kanwa Asian Defence magazine.

upside, it's not going to take a lot of paperwork to divert funding earmarked for fighting isil

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

they looked at sarnsung custom device firmware and said ":hmmyes: clearly it just wasn't obscure enough"

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i wonder if they'll let huawei offer it on phones

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Nigerian bank scammers using segmented marketing aimed at their core demographic of people who are currently entangled in a Nigerian bank scam

It's like some sort of scammer pyramid scheme where you get scammed and have to scam your way out by pretending to help people who've been scammed then scamming them and turning them into scammers

what I'm saying here is that it's scammers all the way down.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

it will definitely not be linux

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i look forward to learning more about xi jinping thought on netbsd with chinese characteristics for a new era

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
someone pointed out that "windows" has the same first three letters as a certain children's book character

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

it will definitely not be linux

time 4 Lindows 2 shine

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i can't decide whether to predict minix or gnu hurd

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

someone pointed out that "windows" has the same first three letters as a certain children's book character

windows the poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shame Boy posted:

windows the poo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

windows the poo

haha

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/erratarob/status/1133317346016284672?s=21

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

windows the poo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Nigerian bank scammers using segmented marketing aimed at their core demographic of people who are currently entangled in a Nigerian bank scam
I'm sure Facebook would be happy to let them target that demographic.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

i can't decide whether to predict minix or gnu hurd

minix is running on more pc's than linux does by a substantial margin, so it is the more proven choice.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 29, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

windows the poo

and uighur too

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Shame Boy posted:

windows the poo

flakeloaf posted:

and uighur too

:eyepop:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5328658/canadian-man-sentenced-selling-encrypted-blackberry-smartphones/

A Canadian man who sold encrypted BlackBerry smartphones to criminals worldwide that enabled them to sell drugs and even plan murders while avoiding the prying eyes of law enforcement was sentenced Tuesday to nine years in prison.

Vincent Ramos, 41, of Richmond in the Vancouver area was sentenced Tuesday in federal court in San Diego. He pleaded guilty last fall to one count of racketeering conspiracy.

Ramos also was told to forfeit $80 million in earnings, which included homes, international bank account holdings, cryptocurrency and gold coins.

Ramos ran a company called Phantom Secure that offered gutted, uncrackable smartphones that, for a subscription, could send encrypted text messages through a secure network based in Panama and Hong Kong.

The company also could wipe the phones remotely if they were seized.

Prosecutors said Ramos’ clients included the Sinaloa drug cartel of Mexico and a global drug-trafficking and illicit gambling organization run by former University of Southern California football player Owen Hanson. Hanson is serving a 21-year prison sentence.

Other clients were Hells Angels in Australia who used them to co-ordinate several killings, authorities said. Ramos boasted about his wares after seeing a 2014 news report that said use of his encrypted devices by a suspect in one high-profile murder had hampered the investigation.

good: encrypt your stuff

very good: i will help you encrypt your stuff

very very stupid: gloating about all the crime you're absolutely positive you're helping

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
when I read "A Canadian man who sold encrypted BlackBerry smartphones to criminals worldwide that enabled them to sell drugs and even plan murders while avoiding the prying eyes of law enforcement was sentenced Tuesday to nine years in prison." I thought "oh they finally got Jim Balisille"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

good: encrypt your stuff

very good: i will help you encrypt your stuff

very very stupid: gloating about all the crime you're absolutely positive you're helping

even if this dude didn't get arrested i bet the organized criminals he's selling to wouldn't really take kindly to that either

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Currently getting this on firefox:

An error occurred during a connection to stackoverflow.com. A required TLS feature is missing. Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_REQUIRED_TLS_FEATURE_MISSING

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Currently getting this on firefox:

An error occurred during a connection to stackoverflow.com. A required TLS feature is missing. Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_REQUIRED_TLS_FEATURE_MISSING

I'm getting the same, seems to only be on stackoverflow. Works fine on chrome so I guess it's a firefox fuckup

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Googling the error gets me:

"Firefox reports a cryptic error MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_REQUIRED_TLS_FEATURE_MISSING as expected. But :chome: tells cert is good — recall, :chome: does not follow OCSP standard, even when it comes to stapling and must-staple stuff 😞"

https://medium.com/@alexeysamoshkin/how-ssl-certificate-revocation-is-broken-in-practice-af3b63b9cb3

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
My boys at FireEye announced Hillary Clinton as the speaker for their annual summit.

The twitter responses have been fascinating:

https://twitter.com/FireEye/status/1134069469888864256

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Well at least this pretty much confirms FireEye is snakeoil and nothing more.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
wheres the obscure deep irc fried onion forum where they explain the technical details behind cves

because when a vendor says:

lovely app posted:

An attacker can overwrite or restore files to locations they do not have write privileges to. This can be accomplished via API or via the User Interface.

lovely app posted:

A proxy auto-configuration file, crafted by a lesser privileged user, may be used to execute arbitrary code at a higher privilege as the service user.

that seems to imply some shitlord can just send api requests to everyone running this app and :pwn:

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
without knowing how hosed up this gently caress up is i dont know how much anxiety to allocate :negative:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I hope fire eye asks if bill ever tried the cigar trick with her... in a secure manner. boom on topic.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Welllllllllll. Looks like we got a fuckup. LOL

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spb posted:

Welllllllllll. Looks like we got a fuckup. LOL

blow it out your aes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

officially told splunk to gently caress off and die today, feels good man

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/alisaesage/status/1134400428899127296?s=21

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

officially told splunk to gently caress off and die today, feels good man
that must have been the easiest case to ever make to a ciso. what did you replace it with

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

that must have been the easiest case to ever make to a ciso. what did you replace it with

humio. works pretty well except joins are a "coming soon" feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

what's so lovely about splunk in production