Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
When switching from Cable to DSL, do they behave differently?

I swore when I had Cable that utilizing upload would KILL download. Whereas on DSL using out bound has little effect on inbound.

Or am I crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ziploc posted:

When switching from Cable to DSL, do they behave differently?

I swore when I had Cable that utilizing upload would KILL download. Whereas on DSL using out bound has little effect on inbound.

Or am I crazy?

Yeah, it varies by location and config but theoretically cable was originally designed to be much more of an asymmetrical network (e.g. lots of info coming to you, not much info coming from you) whereas DSL builds are theoretically more symmetrical. This isn't a 100% truism across all instances of cable and DSL, being heavily implementation specific.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
If the upload is slow enough, could it be possible that the TCP overhead of the download would be enough to choke it?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I just moved into a new apartment and transferred my start.ca cable internet, but already I'm having problems and the Rogers tech told me that there's noise on the line, which I'm not eager to deal with. I noticed that the previous tenants had a bell fibre line installed; are there any quality fibre resellers yet? I'm eager to get fast and reliable fibre internet, less eager to deal with bell salespeople and prices. Location is Toronto if that matters.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippecanoe posted:

I just moved into a new apartment and transferred my start.ca cable internet, but already I'm having problems and the Rogers tech told me that there's noise on the line, which I'm not eager to deal with. I noticed that the previous tenants had a bell fibre line installed; are there any quality fibre resellers yet? I'm eager to get fast and reliable fibre internet, less eager to deal with bell salespeople and prices. Location is Toronto if that matters.

Nope, Bell only. Trudeau appointed an industry shill to head up the CRTC and he is slow walking the rate setting process so much that precisely zero things have happened since he arrived a few years ago.

Cable based is it for third party high speed access of any kind.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

The Dark One posted:

If the upload is slow enough, could it be possible that the TCP overhead of the download would be enough to choke it?

Yes, I use to have an 18/0.5 cable line like and my upload was almost saturated just downloading, a little faster and it definitely would choke. Thats with like 12 threads on usenet, a single connection would have less overhead.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Finally got a chance to test my fibre extender, and it works like a charm. So if you ever need to relocate your HH3K, you need a coupler and a length of fibre optic cable. Plus you can pick up from their counter if you want to save on shipping. 2m of cable and the coupler comes in under $7.00.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Slightly offtopic, but with NCIX (long) gone where is everyone buying their components from?

I've been putting off a video card for way too long.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

odiv posted:

Slightly offtopic, but with NCIX (long) gone where is everyone buying their components from?

Memory Express

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I get Memory Express to pricematch Newegg usually.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I mostly buy from amazon now. Same/next day delivery with prime is too good.

I price check with memory express, newegg and canada computers though. But usually amazon is within a couple bucks or sometimes better. If it’s worse I have just waited and then it will drop.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Price check with newegg, canada computers and amazon. I do not have amazon prime as i am fine with a free 2 weeks shipping estimate that arrives in 3 days. Lately (last 6 months-ish) i have observed that amazon prices are better than before, therefore i ended up using amazon more and more. I never used Memory Express, maybe I should as I see that they're opening a store in Hamilton, ON soon. I always thought they're an american company for some reason, glad i've been mistaken.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
All the good spots have been mentioned but Mike's Computers seems reasonably good too.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ME is very nice, but as usual just use PCP and decide from there.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Virgin has a $30 promo for 50/10 just in case anyone needs to switch to dirt cheap bell internet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I do tend to avoid newegg apart from price checks due to their track record of getting hacked, and owned by mainland chinese interests.

Xi ain’t gonna find out what gpu I prefer!!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Risky Bisquick posted:

Virgin has a $30 promo for 50/10 just in case anyone needs to switch to dirt cheap bell internet.

I'd be interested, do you have a link?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'd be interested, do you have a link?

https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/internet/index.html

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

8ender posted:

All the good spots have been mentioned but Mike's Computers seems reasonably good too.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, I vowed never to use them after getting bitten by a lovely return policy. It was via Amazon, and I got my refund after making an A-Z claim.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

codo27 posted:

Really? Well, I guess if taking it will help my search for computer parts. Here goes nuthin'.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Expand your mind.. with PC component savings!!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

zergstain posted:

If that's the one I'm thinking of, I vowed never to use them after getting bitten by a lovely return policy. It was via Amazon, and I got my refund after making an A-Z claim.

I had the same experience using Canada Computers via Amazon. There's a stupid disconnect there where the refunds have to come from Amazon so you can't just return the items to a retail store.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was going to buy from CC but god their site is awful and they push the insurance and poo poo on you. Plus they hired someone I know is a dingbat.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

codo27 posted:

I was going to buy from CC but god their site is awful and they push the insurance and poo poo on you. Plus they hired someone I know is a dingbat.

Congrats on the new job!

mewse
May 2, 2006

odiv posted:

Newegg, memory express, Amazon

codo27 posted:

Yep, having pcpartpicker available in canada is very handy. You can do cool stuff like sort all storage by price per gigabyte and find the best deal

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Cool thanks everyone. Now to bite the bullet on something. :/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sorting is everything and decides whether I shop somewhere or not. Thats why I love PCP so much. Pretty good though, Bezos only has about 45 trillion dollars and Amazon's website is still complete garbonzo

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

PCPartpicker, Memory Express, and TechReport's seasonal guide helped me spec out and purchase this PC in an afternoon back in 2013, and back then I think ME's price match gave a 25% discount off the difference instead of the 10% they give now. It was the first build I did since 2003 and it was shocking how smoothly it went.

I paid the extra $15 to have them install the heatsink because I never know if I'm doing the paste application correctly and it's handled a 3.4 > 4.5 overclock ever since.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 30, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Really? Well, I guess if taking it will help my search for computer parts. Here goes nuthin'.

Yeah I find I end up with a lot of stuff I don't remember even paying for, fresh animal skins, police badges, traffic cones, it's a real money saver.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Anybody else looking to upgrade right now, AMD has new CPUs and video cards coming out within a few months.

The ryzen 3xxx series is looking to be a pretty big upgrade, and the 5700 cards should be the bang for the buck king.

With new consoles coming out in the next year or two with similar hardware, it seems like a safe path to take.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This is the internet access thread. Why do you share your AMD propaganda here

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

codo27 posted:

This is the internet access thread. Why do you share your AMD propaganda here

because people were discussing new PCs,

I would be sharing intel's progress too, if they ever made any

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

8ender posted:

I had the same experience using Canada Computers via Amazon. There's a stupid disconnect there where the refunds have to come from Amazon so you can't just return the items to a retail store.

I'm digging through my emails to get the details right here, but basically I ordered a wi-fi adapter from a Mike's Computer Shop on Amazon. There was some weird hardware compatibility issue with my motherboard, so I tried to return it, but they had a 50% restocking fee. I made a claim through Amazon's A-z guarantee, and ultimately got the restocking fee reduced to 20%. Looks like the nearest retail store is in Hamilton, and I'm in Toronto, so there's no chance in hell I'd have taken it back to the store.

Now I have TP-Link USB adapter that loses the connection all the time and pisses me the gently caress off.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

50% restocking is a loving crime. Mike's restocking fee, on their website at least, is 15%, which is still high in light of this age of Amazon.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

This happened back in December 2016. I tried to use the Wayback Machine to figure out if the policy on their website had changed, and it said 15% back then too. I don't know how to find their Amazon return policy. But yeah, 50% restocking on opened merchandise if the return is due to the customer changing their mind. Apparently finding out that it breaks basic functionality of the PC after installing the card is me "changing my mind."

I used PCP to find the lowest price on everything when I built my computer. I bought my parts from NCIX, Direct Canada, Newegg and Amazon I believe.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tagra posted:

They've got Quesnel and William's Lake but not Prince George???

Here you go, presumed Prince George person!

TELUS investing $150 million to connect Prince George to gigabit-enabled fibre optic network, dramatically increasing wireless and Internet speeds throughout the region

I'm not sure whether this spending will sort out the whole "Prince George only has internet via Shaw's backbone on a branch from Kelowna subject to a single cut" by separately linking to Telus' Alberta stuff, but it probably does.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Telus posted:

making Northern B.C. one of the most connected regions in Canada

lol what

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Er, per capita maybe?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Not just northern Canada, all Canada. Suck it, less connected plebes :smugdog:

It's gotta be either per capita or like they're equating kms of cable = connections or something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I didn't realize how spoiled I was having our own internet/mobile utility in Manitoba until I looked up the price of High Speed 25 without promo and it's 90 loving dollars a month now