Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Harbor Freight Pittsburgh Pro line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
If you want a nice storage case, I've been really happy with the Tekton sets. I've got 3/8" and 1/4" drive in the SAE/metric blow molded sets. No skipped sizes, easy to carry around, easy to notice missing pieces. They're my go-to for my travel tool kit, and I usually grab them at home over my Craftsman sets in the big tool box.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lowes has some good deals on big Craftsman sets with no bullshit filler right now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Heh, was just going to ask, does Lowes sell single Craftsman sockets?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kastivich posted:

Any recommendations for socket sets? Regular depth, 6pt, SAE and metric. For regular home mechanic work. Nothing extreme.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078719VN1

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Kastivich posted:

Any recommendations for socket sets? Regular depth, 6pt, SAE and metric. For regular home mechanic work. Nothing extreme.

I really like the Gearwrench sets I picked up in 3/8 and 1/4. They are a little more expensive than a lot of the Amazon brands. I also love my Tekton stuff. Usually comes in a decent case, and some of their stuff is even made in the USA (not the sockets though).

Are you looking for ratchets as well? Or just the sockets? Price range?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

El Jebus posted:

I really like the Gearwrench sets I picked up in 3/8 and 1/4. They are a little more expensive than a lot of the Amazon brands. I also love my Tekton stuff. Usually comes in a decent case, and some of their stuff is even made in the USA (not the sockets though).

Are you looking for ratchets as well? Or just the sockets? Price range?

I dont need ratchets but if a kit came out cheaper than buying each set separately, I wouldnt be opposed. I would like to replace my 3/8 and 1/2 sets with something consistent and decent quality. Maybe 1/4 drive too but Im less concerned about those. Couple hundred bucks for 3/8 and 1/2 in SAE and metric, in a decent range of sizes, would be ok.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What is the difference between random orbital sanders?

I need something that can do a few big 4x8 sheets of Birch plywood smooth for some bookcases, and maybe something that can do more than that.

Is it not that big a deal? Just get whatever is in budget?

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

What is the difference between random orbital sanders?

I need something that can do a few big 4x8 sheets of Birch plywood smooth for some bookcases, and maybe something that can do more than that.

Is it not that big a deal? Just get whatever is in budget?

Get a 6inch, it will handle the larger surface area much more betterer.

I know a few people who have the borsh 6" vibey control one and they love it https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/random-orbit-sanders-ros65vc-6-30121-p/ it can also take 5" pads for the smaller jobs.

Also get an interface pad and some Mirka Abranet discs, they're amazeballs for sanding. You don't _need_ the interface pad but the velcro will not last as long on your sander if you don't use one.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I second getting a 6inch model. I have an old 6inch green Bosch and apart from the front handle breaking, it has stood up to a lot of abuse. I would also make sure it has a provision for connecting a vacuum cleaner. You can then sand indoors and generate next to no dust. I sand my kitchen table indoors without covering anything using a vacuum. Problem is that the sander will suck itself to the working surface, so its good to be able to turn down or open a bypass on the vacuum.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anyone have a recommendation for a digital torque wrench? 3/8. I know I don't need it, I just want one. I'll use it mostly on motorcycles so really only has to go up to 100nm max if that's an issue.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
What sort of socket, torx, etc. Tools and sizes should I have on hand to work on a 2016 TTS? We have some maintenance package for a few years coming, but say I need to change a wheel, torque lug bolts, or remove the under tray, or for some reason I wanted to change the oil, etc.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

builds character posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a digital torque wrench? 3/8. I know I don't need it, I just want one. I'll use it mostly on motorcycles so really only has to go up to 100nm max if that's an issue.

The AC Delco digital torque adapters are awesome and I love them. I have one in 1/2” and one in 3/8”.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HandlingByJebus posted:

The AC Delco digital torque adapters are awesome and I love them. I have one in 1/2” and one in 3/8”.

Do they work as well as a torque wrench? I feel like I read something about them adding in error to what would otherwise obviously be 100% accurate.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MetaJew posted:

What sort of socket, torx, etc. Tools and sizes should I have on hand to work on a 2016 TTS? We have some maintenance package for a few years coming, but say I need to change a wheel, torque lug bolts, or remove the under tray, or for some reason I wanted to change the oil, etc.

Metric hex, torx, and triple square should get you most of the way. I haven't seen anything on my VW that wasn't available in a general set, size wise.

I ended up with a very large socket (36mm?) to get at the nut molded into the bottom of the oil canister, dunno if that's the same with your car.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
For removing and putting on wheels I'm a big fan of these things from Harbor Freight:
- Nice lug nut sockets with sleeves to protect the wheels from scratches: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-sae-metric-lug-nut-impact-sockets-7-pc-69781.html
- Big breaker bar for taking them off: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-25-in-breaker-bar-67933.html
- 1/2" torque wrench for putting them on: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-62431.html?_br_psugg_q=1%2F2+inch+torque+wrench

If you want to throw some money at it for convenience, a 18-20V lithium battery impact driver makes short work of removing the lugs (and is a handy thing for other bolts). If it's a car I care about I'd still use the manual torque wrench to put them back on.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

If you want to throw some money at it for convenience, a 18-20V lithium battery impact driver makes short work of removing the lugs (and is a handy thing for other bolts). If it's a car I care about I'd still use the manual torque wrench to put them back on.

I just got an impact driver and I love it for getting lug nuts off. For putting them back on, I am firmly on team cordless drill to install and torque wrench to tighten to spec.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

builds character posted:

Do they work as well as a torque wrench? I feel like I read something about them adding in error to what would otherwise obviously be 100% accurate.

I don’t get how that would be the case. They use strain gauges on the output shaft so they’re measuring torque output to whatever you attach to them, just like a torque wrench would do, with the benefit of being able to place them closer to a socket in an extension / flex stack when you need to use one. They claim +/- 2% clockwise and +/- 3% anti-clockwise accuracy and I’ve stopped double-checking them. :)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I just got an impact driver and I love it for getting lug nuts off. For putting them back on, I am firmly on team cordless drill to install and torque wrench to tighten to spec.
I use the lowest power setting of my cordless impact to spin them on after hand-threading. Couple of bibbity-boops and they're in the perfect range to finish quickly with a torque wrench.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

I use the lowest power setting of my cordless impact to spin them on after hand-threading. Couple of bibbity-boops and they're in the perfect range to finish quickly with a torque wrench.

Same. As long as you're getting it to turn some with the torque wrench before it clicks, you know you haven't over torqued it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

HandlingByJebus posted:

I don’t get how that would be the case. They use strain gauges on the output shaft so they’re measuring torque output to whatever you attach to them, just like a torque wrench would do, with the benefit of being able to place them closer to a socket in an extension / flex stack when you need to use one. They claim +/- 2% clockwise and +/- 3% anti-clockwise accuracy and I’ve stopped double-checking them. :)

Yeah, that makes sense when I think about it. Are you sure I should base purchases on what makes sense and not on some vague recollection I have from several years ago?

Thanks!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

builds character posted:

Yeah, that makes sense when I think about it. Are you sure I should base purchases on what makes sense and not on some vague recollection I have from several years ago?

Thanks!

I mean... pretty sure, yeah. :D

No worries!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, was just going to ask, does Lowes sell single Craftsman sockets?

Yes

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Uthor posted:

Metric hex, torx, and triple square should get you most of the way. I haven't seen anything on my VW that wasn't available in a general set, size wise.

I ended up with a very large socket (36mm?) to get at the nut molded into the bottom of the oil canister, dunno if that's the same with your car.

I've got a hex and SAE set, but practically nothing in the way of torx and zero triple square. Are there any particular sets or sizes that I should pick up in these tools?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have a triple square set from Capri, but am hesitant to recommend it after breaking some of my hex bits from them. Those are mainly for suspension hardware, which I haven't done much with. M14 is the only one I've needed for a brake job. You can probably hold off getting these until you need them for a specific job.

For torx, I've been using some generic bits from the auto parts store, nothing fancy. I wanna say that the T20 bit got the most love and I broke a T30 bit at some point, so those two sizes? Torx is their common fastener for random screws around the engine and interior, so I'd keep them on had.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
VIM tools for triple square/XZN. Mine have taken off close to a dozen VW heads, and loads of VW inner CV joints. Nary a mark on them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

sharkytm posted:

VIM tools for triple square/XZN. Mine have taken off close to a dozen VW heads, and loads of VW inner CV joints. Nary a mark on them.

What about GVIM?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

MetaJew posted:

What about GVIM?

Emacs

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm about to jump into air tools, so let's start some poo poo...

Industrial or Automotive?

Edit: i'm talking about quick-disconnect fittings

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 4, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
At an old job we used Ingersoll Rand for most everything and it was great. Everything seemed to be built like a brick shithouse and old needed oil once in a while for hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of operation. When I finally jump ship, that will be the direction I go.

Though I've heard people here complain about some of their stuff here. Can't remember what it was though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Beach Bum posted:

I'm about to jump into air tools, so let's start some poo poo...

Industrial or Automotive?

Milton V.
Or Stedlin if you're made of money.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'll second Milton V but get the brass and steel versions instead of the snazzy looking aluminum ones. I completely wore out two (and significantly wore a third) of the aluminum male fittings building my shed with a framing nailer. I replaced them with steel fittings which, as far as I remember, were only a little more expensive, very nearly have the same ID, and should last significantly longer.

Galler fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 4, 2019

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I replaced the oil pressure sensor on my family van using a part from a local parts store and was defective so I ordered a better one from rock auto.

I had to buy a special socket to remove/install the sensor because there needs to be enough clearance inside to fit the connector, plus it's not exactly hex shaped (it has rounded corners).

The socket fit the original and local parts store sensor just fine, but the rock auto sensor is too big to fit the socket. Anyone know what I should be looking for? The socket I bought was labelled specifically as an oil pressure sensor socket so I don't know what else to search for.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

polyester concept posted:

I replaced the oil pressure sensor on my family van using a part from a local parts store and was defective so I ordered a better one from rock auto.

I had to buy a special socket to remove/install the sensor because there needs to be enough clearance inside to fit the connector, plus it's not exactly hex shaped (it has rounded corners).

The socket fit the original and local parts store sensor just fine, but the rock auto sensor is too big to fit the socket. Anyone know what I should be looking for? The socket I bought was labelled specifically as an oil pressure sensor socket so I don't know what else to search for.

I’d measure flat-to-flat with cheap calipers, but it sounds like that’s not in your toolbox.

If you’re in the US, your local auto parts store probably has free loaner tools. Try there first. They might even be able to measure your new one.

Otherwise, is a crows foot wrench an option? Sets of those are cheap and you probably just need metric. Failing all that, farm stores are a good source for cheap, oddball sockets.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Or maybe a Harbor Freight set of O2 sensor sockets?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Or a crescent wrench, or a pair of channel-locks, it only needs to go in once, and maybe come out once more

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it is a super tight area so unfortunately using anything other than a ratchet with an extension is not possible. I will have to get some calipers and measure it - always needed an excuse to buy a set.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

um excuse me posted:

At an old job we used Ingersoll Rand for most everything and it was great. Everything seemed to be built like a brick shithouse and old needed oil once in a while for hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of operation. When I finally jump ship, that will be the direction I go.

Though I've heard people here complain about some of their stuff here. Can't remember what it was though.
For dumb reasons, we had a little 5HP IR compressor that was literally forgotten about.

The thing ran 50%+ duty cycle, 365 days a year, for 4 years, in a confined space that regularly hit 50C in the summer, without ever having the oil changed, being drained, or even having the dust blown off of it. I found it chugging away when I left the job and was giving the new guy a walk through.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Kreez posted:

For dumb reasons, we had a little 5HP IR compressor that was literally forgotten about.

The thing ran 50%+ duty cycle, 365 days a year, for 4 years, in a confined space that regularly hit 50C in the summer, without ever having the oil changed, being drained, or even having the dust blown off of it. I found it chugging away when I left the job and was giving the new guy a walk through.

WTF

Go back and get that compressor so we can breed it and create a breed of super compressors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Probably one of those things that if you gently caress with anything it could go out.

Best not tempt fate.