Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Check tickets, require "closed" ones to have a link to the documentation they updated. If they haven't updated, reopen the ticket and tell them to update. Hopefully you use something like Confluence that can easily show you revisions.

People never do documentation. It's always like pulling teeth.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

wargames posted:

If you're hiring.

I live in Belgium. There are a ton of ICT jobs available. Just look at for example: https://www.ictjob.be/
Example job: https://www.ictjob.be/en/job/huxley-associates-belgium-deployment-engineers/2-111719

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are you talking “stat holidays” or British “going on holiday” holidays?

Also what part of Europe? There’s no way in hell I would want to live in like 90% of it tbh. At least not enough to make the effort to uproot my life.

My skill set would be more applicable there, sadly :v:. Goddamn European companies using programs nobody in the US uses.

10 paid public holidays + 30 paid days off + overtime days (for example work 4 hours extra a week to get 2 more vacation days a month).
I live in Belgium. I can't think of a lot of countries I'd rather live.
I have no idea what your skill set is, but getting a job as an IT professional shouldn''t be a problem. You'll be in for a serious culture shock though. :derp:

Thanatosian posted:

If you have a private pension, you should plan for retirement assuming that it won't be there.

Public pensions are much more reliable.

Also, if someone gave me a job opportunity that got me a work permit in the EU, I think I'd probably take it, provided it offered a path to citizenship. I'd love to have that passport.

There are a ton of opportunities for ITC people in Belgium (see above) and they often accept you can only speak English. More info see: https://www.thebulletin.be/ (expat website), https://www.werk.be/en/home (government website). If you are serious about it you should contact the Belgian embassy in your country. Getting permission to live an work in Belgium can be quite complex. It's subject to different jurisdictions (national, local and EU regulations). For example: employment permits are a local jurisdicion (Flanders (north), Wallonia (south), Brussels (center)), so different rules apply depending on your work location, but there are exceptions for 'high profile' workers which can get a European permit, ... you get the picture :bang:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
What's the weather like though? I'd love to leave England for somewhere much warmer, but that only leaves Australia pretty much for English speaking countries. I suck at learning new languages

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

What's the weather like though? I'd love to leave England for somewhere much warmer, but that only leaves Australia pretty much for English speaking countries. I suck at learning new languages

Wat about Malta?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

And just lol at coming to Australia for an ICT job.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

And just lol at coming to Australia for an ICT job.

I haven't done too much research aside from seeing that network engineer was a job they'd let you in for. Is it no good? Emigrating is some scary poo poo

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MrOzzy posted:

I live in Belgium. I can't think of a lot of countries I'd rather live.
I have no idea what your skill set is, but getting a job as an IT professional shouldn''t be a problem. You'll be in for a serious culture shock though. :derp:

i am still fairly entry level computer janitor.

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

wargames posted:

i am still fairly entry level computer janitor.

You don't have to have very good qualifications or experience. For example: "Installer of data communication networks" is one of the professions considered a 'bottleneck' profession by the government. This means companies are unable to fill a vacancy by a qualified employee within a reasonable time frame. As a result you'll be able to apply for a work permit much more easily (the employer will do it for you). You'll be pulling cables in no time.

Edit:
There is a big shortage of people willing to pull cables especially if the cable is pulled from a spindle. In the early 2000's a comic show ran on Flemish tv showing someone "infected" by a disease called "the wire" ("den draad" in Dutch). It shows a women who thinks she has an internal spindle with an invisible wire coming out of her rear end. This severely limits her movement:
* She needs to retrace the exact path she took from A to B when she goes from B back to A, if not she'll be entangled.
* There is a maximum distance before she needs to "anchor up" because there will be to much slack on the wire if she doesn't.
* A large anchor (a large round thing or a pole) is completely irresistible and she needs to walk around it.
* The available wire length is limited.

Studies have show that this disease might be contagious, especially in related professions. We now mostly rely on foreign workers to pull our wires because of the high risk of infection.

Proof (in Dutch):
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_subcnZKpWU
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5gxhWpGFLg
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t48Fvcx8e4g

MrOzzy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 29, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd like to think you'd do better at learning a language if you're surrounded by it all day

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

MrOzzy posted:

You don't have to have very good qualifications or experience. For example: "Installer of data communication networks" is one of the professions considered a 'bottleneck' profession by the governement. This means companies are unable to fill a vacancy by a qualified employee within a reasonable timeframe. As a result you'll be able to apply for a work permit much more easily (the employer will do it for you). You'll be pulling cables in no time.

I worked with a contractor whose partner worked at NATO HQ made it sound like some good poo poo. They weren't doing IT work though, don't know what IT jobs would be like there.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd like to think you'd do better at learning a language if you're surrounded by it all day

Probably. I was average at German in school and sort of liked it, but they also forced us to do French and Latin, which I hated and really turned me off doing anything related to language.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Internet Explorer posted:

Check tickets, require "closed" ones to have a link to the documentation they updated. If they haven't updated, reopen the ticket and tell them to update. Hopefully you use something like Confluence that can easily show you revisions.

People never do documentation. It's always like pulling teeth.

Coworker and I were trying to deploy something that our boss has done twice. He didn't document how to do it at all, so we mostly took guesses until the boss checked our work and fixed a bunch of stuff. We complain in unison about how awful he is for not documenting this thing.
Coworker sits with him to get the details and learns everything he needs to know for deployments. I ask him 'did you write this down for next time so you don't have to memorize this process? Or so I can do it for you next time?'

"Nah I don't have time to write the documentation"

:commissar:

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Probably. I was average at German in school and sort of liked it, but they also forced us to do French and Latin, which I hated and really turned me off doing anything related to language.

Speaking a foreign language gets you laid. In Belgium focus on the Dutch speaking north. Don't go South of Brussels. They hide the French speaking Belgians in the South forrests. We visit them from time to time if the fences are properly installed or if they are chained.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
The big bank I consult for has very high turnover so they document everything. The problem is every team has their own sharepoint site and there is no organizational standards so most of the time you cant find what you're looking for :v:

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Tetramin posted:

Do any of y’all use Solarwinds Orion? Our installation is incredibly slow and frustrating. I think they hosted the db on a shared instance, could this be the reason?

Anybody ever been able to make it responsive and not mind numbingly slow? I’m starting to take over administration of it and it’s super frustrating. Too many drat features

we use it, we host it ourselves and we're on our 7th new poller in 5 years. nothing we throw at it seems to help and the monitoring team in charge of that has only two employees. i'm not too well versed on the alternatives, but i'd welcome ideas.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Im confused... how is it by the third time you've told an employee to document their poo poo and they've ignored you have you not started writing them up and making sure HR has disciplinary notices in their file for failure to complete tasks as assigned?

Third write-up for failure to complete tasks as assigned is termination time. People will absolutely document their work as soon as you eject one of them from the building with your foot.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Digital_Jesus posted:

Im confused... how is it by the third time you've told an employee to document their poo poo and they've ignored you have you not started writing them up and making sure HR has disciplinary notices in their file for failure to complete tasks as assigned?

Third write-up for failure to complete tasks as assigned is termination time. People will absolutely document their work as soon as you eject one of them from the building with your foot.

If they fire the employee, they lose the knowledge that the employee refuses to write down

If the employee writes it down, they're no longer necessary and will get canned

Now they just play chicken until retirement

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

gently caress that. Fire them. If they won't document their work they aren't necessary anyway. Everyone can be replaced and proving you're willing to fire people for doing their jobs half assed is most definitely important if you want to succeed in management whatsoever.

E: Just make sure you also treat employees who actually do their jobs well with respect and give them nice perks like flex time, extra PTO, etc. or whatever is in your power as a manager to do, and make sure they get solid performance reviews and raises.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 29, 2019

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I haven't done too much research aside from seeing that network engineer was a job they'd let you in for. Is it no good? Emigrating is some scary poo poo

Our government is so incompetent and clueless about technology that it's causing wholesale brain drain. If you want to read how to completely gently caress up a nation's telecommunications network, read up on what's happened to our NBN. Then read the encryption laws that got successfully passed. They have basically hosed the sector for no good reason.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

NPR Journalizard posted:

Our government is so incompetent and clueless about technology that it's causing wholesale brain drain. If you want to read how to completely gently caress up a nation's telecommunications network, read up on what's happened to our NBN. Then read the encryption laws that got successfully passed. They have basically hosed the sector for no good reason.

Yeah you're gonna be stuck with sheep farming and (coal) mining before long, I guess :v:

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Welp,

I got promoted last month from the NOC to Infrastructure team. I was one of the first NOC Engineers when they started hiring for it, and we worked together to document every process and procedure we had. Going forward into this new team there is precisely 0 documentation, under the guise that: "I should be technically proficient enough to solve the problem". So now I'm tasked with a bunch of projects, such as:

- Renewing a certificate and providing it from a secondary domain instead of primary
- Inventory all software on all servers in the Company and find updated versions, deploy when prudent
- Find a new monitoring solution for the NOC and Datacenter teams
- 4 other ongoing yearly projects with next to no documentation.

This can't be the norm, can it? I mean, is this common among IT teams?

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 29, 2019

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Engineers are terrible at documentation so...yes

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MrOzzy posted:

Getting permission to live an work in Belgium can be quite complex. It's subject to different jurisdictions (national, local and EU regulations). For example: employment permits are a local jurisdicion (Flanders (north), Wallonia (south), Brussels (center)), so different rules apply depending on your work location, but there are exceptions for 'high profile' workers which can get a European permit, ... you get the picture :bang:

Being able to work in the EU is freaking tough. The best is way to be young, healthy and smart enough to have a PhD. Outside of that, getting your employer to find you a job along with a degree and not being old is the second bit.

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

Tab8715 posted:

Being able to work in the EU is freaking tough. The best is way to be young, healthy and smart enough to have a PhD. Outside of that, getting your employer to find you a job along with a degree and not being old is the second bit.

A lot depends on the country / area. Rule of thumb: north is good, south, east and west is tougher. Except for the UK maybe, but they are lovely in pretty much everything. We have an unemployment rate of about 3,5%, which is extremely low. Having a Bachelor or better will help a lot, but there are a lot of shortages in jobs for lower educated people too (like truck drivers, nurses, hand laborers, ...)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Is there a word that means something good is happening but has the specter of something bad happening later? There probably is in German.

The good is that I get to WFH 100% of the time. The nagging bit is the reason I can do that is they are closing our remote office by the end of the year (and several others around the country) and having everyone work from home in those locations.

So, yay but with a cautious worry that this is a prelude to cuts (which they deny is happening of course.)

The work I'm transitioning into isn't tied to a specific product that can get axed, so that's good at least. Oh well, I'll ride it and and see what happens. Everything else is positive about it. They are increasing our communication stipend to cover both cell phone and internet and will still be supplying all equipment. It honestly make sense from a business perspective because the teams were already blended across locations. But such a drastic change always brings uncertainty.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am strongly considering leaving my current job, because I am apparently inadequate as a manager.

There is very little documentation, which means only some people can do each task. I stress the importance of documenting our environment. That doesn't get done because people are too busy. I stress again the importance of documentation and tell people not to consider a task complete until it's documented. Then it doesn't happen. I stress it again and tell people that it's okay to get less done because documenting is going to help us in the long run. Still it doesn't happen.

I really don't know what else to do. I'll give you a dollar every time you write something down. Things aren't getting better and I'm just tired of trying to help people.
Speaking very candidly: you are not currently managing your directs, and if you started, you would probably find yourself immediately seeing better outcomes in this area. You have set a performance expectation, and your employees are failing to meet that performance expectation. This means that you should be working through your standard process for underperformers: making sure they understand that this is something that is being measured, and that failing to meet performance goals in this area will result in you firing them. When you say people are too busy, is this the result of a conversation, or a conjecture on your part? If this is part of a conversation, you need to stress what the Definition of Done is. Whatever your method of tracking work is, you need to ensure work isn't being closed out with the appropriate documentation. You also need to make sure that no new work is being started while existing work is still outstanding, incomplete.

None of this is rocket science, but it's really unpleasant work that we as managers would rather not do. It's hard conversations and committing to be kind instead of to be nice. Maybe this book can help?

That aside, I was in a somewhat similar situation recently, and it happened because people on the team weren't clear about what priorities meant. We had a bunch of high-priority tickets assigned to engineers at the same time, and they presumed that to mean "these are all urgent, cut corners and make them all happen immediately". It took some explicit conversations about the Eisenhower matrix and importance vs. urgency to clear up that High Priority means "do these before you do low-priority things" and not "have all these done by the end of the week".

I'll write some more later about some strategies I've found helpful at making sure people are more focused on being optimally productive than being busy.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I just spent 12 hours travelling to an on site interview and the hotel they put me in is uncomfortably nice.

Amount of sleep I'm getting tonight: 0

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Congrats, you made it to the big league. :)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I haven't been told a single thing about what the interview is going to entail.

All I know is that e-stalking the people I know I'm speaking with is getting me nowhere for what they might talk about.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
gently caress lol

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Welcome to the Resistance

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Methanar posted:

I just spent 12 hours travelling to an on site interview and the hotel they put me in is uncomfortably nice.

Glad to hear that it seems you are at least getting quality feelers for new opportunities. Hope it is a good interview and you want to work there!

After some back and forth on my interview location (onsite/virtual), I landed on on-site as one of my references was like "Come out! We will have lunch with your old team." So I can't really say no to that :shobon:. (I used to be a student worker at the helpdesk and kept up with my connections...). Seriously keep up with your network, it can help out. So, brb driving across the state.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a point in which working with a good startup become less good? Say you're at a place that actually pays you decent figures, flex hours, unlimited PTO that actually gets granted regularly and without bitching, work from home days, nerf fights, day drinking, super relaxed dress code etc, etc is there a point where the company as long as it continues to grow goes "Alright guys, it was fun, but now we're gonna have to decrease satisfaction with work to increase shareholder satisfaction, so we're taking away day drinking and your managers have been instructed to take away your work from home days." or something like that?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Is there a point in which working with a good startup become less good? Say you're at a place that actually pays you decent figures, flex hours, unlimited PTO that actually gets granted regularly and without bitching, work from home days, nerf fights, day drinking, super relaxed dress code etc, etc is there a point where the company as long as it continues to grow goes "Alright guys, it was fun, but now we're gonna have to decrease satisfaction with work to increase shareholder satisfaction, so we're taking away day drinking and your managers have been instructed to take away your work from home days." or something like that?

Yes?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Whenever you stop growing professionally and/or stop enjoying your work.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Methanar posted:

I see it comes with complementary hookers and blow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chin up everything sucks posted:

I see it comes with complementary hookers and blow.

Just remember; A dead hooker, OD'd or otherwise, mean they've got you locked in for the position with blackmail even if you change your mind, so keep them away from the blow. It's a rookie error to make.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Defenestrategy posted:

I've worked for these types of companies and the fun stuff does tend to slow down as the company gets bigger or starts getting money from investors. The only thing that would be a worry or concern is if they are not being clear about cash on hand or how the bottom line is performing. I find the ones that are tight lipped on that suddenly close or attempt to pivot.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

I've worked for these types of companies and the fun stuff does tend to slow down as the company gets bigger or starts getting money from investors. The only thing that would be a worry or concern is if they are not being clear about cash on hand or how the bottom line is performing. I find the ones that are tight lipped on that suddenly close or attempt to pivot.

Isn't the whole point to get in early enough for the fun stuff, and then shortly after they start killing the fun is the IPO, so you just call in rich?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Defenestrategy posted:

I started out at a company like this. Beer Fridge, ping pong table, catered Friday Happy Hours, super relaxed private company... past the startup stage, but still small enough that we didn't really have investors breathing down our neck. We could have a couple bad quarters to invest in future products without anyone having a fit. Closed 2 weeks during Christmas holiday, generous PTO, unlimited sick. 0 deductible cadillac health insurance plan 100% paid by the company. (This was 15 years ago).

Long story short, the ride eventually comes to an end. Founders and VC people want to cash out. Company gets sold/acquired by a bigger company. More corporate rules start coming into play. Costs need to be trimmed, shareholders demand quarterly growth and improvement regardless. Tale as old as time.

Enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Long story short, the ride eventually comes to an end.

I just hope by the end I'll be able to ride out into the land of milk and figgies. :(: