Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

tudabee posted:

I like that Jim pointed out that YouTube kind of has the opposite problem -- it's a platform of niches. I've seen a lot of content creators, particularly Let's Players and the like, start expressing burnout with doing the same thing over and over, and wishing they could branch out or do something more creative. But how do you convince people to watch your first attempts at something when they could watch dozens of other people who've already refined it, the same way you've refined your own niche? I wonder if it's the same kind of existential crisis I had just before I left my last job and found a better one :v:

RTGame did a channel update about pretty much exactly that yesterday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBumm4nhJIs - as he changed from a burnt-out niche channel a year ago. He talks about how a lot of his old audience hated the change (like, abusively) and how uncertain the change was but that the alternative was just keep doing something he had come to hate.

I think ultimately these sort of entertainers occupy a niche that isn't necessarily the game they play, but the personality they bring to it either through their verbiage or the way in which they play. I don't think you can make it big as a streamer just by being good at a game (or the first to stream it as some seem to believe) - you have to bring your personality to it in the first place in order to stand out from your competitors because you're not just competing against other streamer's but your own audience's ability to play the same game as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

his answer is the worst part. it sounds like poo poo legit sociopaths say when they are unsure what they are supposed to feel. christ how is this dumb rear end in a top hat still in charge of a company.

corn in the bible posted:

all their work on brothers in arms 4 got turned into battleborn because randy thought it'd be more successful

i mean BIA 4 was gonna suck but gently caress i want to see the battle of the bulge.

Mr Phillby posted:

Spec ops the line is a legit good comentary on the state of military shooters at the time of its release and a good story in general.

The dumbest part of the discourse around it was when one of the developers said "the true ending is when you put down the controller and stop playing" because aparently enjoying stories where the protagonist is a murderous fuckup makes you morally repugnant I guess???

yeah. i liked that game alot and i have never cared for that message or the "the last 3rd is a brain fever dream" theory either. like the whole message is about how hosed up war is and about how trying to be the magic chosen hero rarely ends well for anyone.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dapper_Swindler posted:

his answer is the worst part. it sounds like poo poo legit sociopaths say when they are unsure what they are supposed to feel. christ how is this dumb rear end in a top hat still in charge of a company.

Answered your own question there. :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

What'd he say?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Zinkraptor posted:

It’s also not meant to exist in a vacuum. One of the main ideas behind the game is to make players question the type of things they do in other military shooters. When you strip it of context, it ends up falling apart a bit because it does look more like the game is making the player do bad things just so it can guilt them for it (while it’s actually making the player do bad things because other military shooter games make the player do bad things, but then acts like they’re good things). It’s still good even without that - a few people I know who’ve never played another game like it still loved it - but it’s a major reason why they designed it like they did.

In particular the white phosphorous sequence is a very specific reference to the Superfortress mission in CoD4 where you're blowing up "terrorists" in an "empty village" from the utterly asymmetrical position of a gunship thousands of feet in the air, a sequence that the CoD devs thought was so rad they used it as the backdrop for the game's credits.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The AC130 mission in CoD4 was itself inspired by a lot of leaked / released footage from Afghanistan and Iraq that came out in the mid 00s and went as viral as things could go before youtube. I'm pretty sure there's a video that directly inspired it but this is pretty representative.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

Jim Sterling's recent video about how "game news" websites are increasingly about pop culture in general more than they are about games caused Linkara to make a Twitter thread about Channel Awesome's failed "Awesome Comics" web series (circa 2016) and how that suffered from the same issue to an insane degree:

I always wondered why they didn't get Lewis or Brian.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I always wondered why they didn't get Lewis or Brian.

Doug and Brad blew $70,000 reshooting the pilot episode of a fake game show 17 times because they kept loving it up. Never bet against the leadership of Channel Awesome being bum stupid.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Something that I think is largely contained to Game websites is that people generally tend to feel more of a kinship towards the personalities on them than they would with say a movie podcast.

So like Giantbomb put out a ton of stuff each week between podcasts, quick looks and live shows. It's natural that the conversations these people have spread out beyond video games and into pop culture in general. And it's natural that their audience would feel a pull towards that. But as with anything you have plenty of sites who want to replicate that without it happening organically. I like the people involved in Waypoint, but one of the reasons the site never quite worked for me is because that side of it felt a little unfocused and forced.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

With Waypoint, you could practically see the presence of Vice looming down out the clouds, NIN style, to influence their direction. But Giant Bomb has their subscriber base, backlog of content, and a bevy of industry contacts which together create space for them to do their own thing mostly free of meddling.

Aside from that, the parasocial relationships you're talking about exist in plenty of other communities, they're just siloed off from the communities you occupy so you don't hear about them as much. Fashion and Makeup Youtube is a great example since they're massive and, as I understand it, at least as toxic as gamers.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly I wish more games would play with the idea of being evil / your character being evil. Like tyranny, you could be a sociopath, or an rear end in a top hat, or you could be a stuffy, law-loving shithead. One of the things I liked about Mafia 3 was that Lincoln was a bad guy and the game at no point pretended otherwise, and Lincoln didn't give a poo poo.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
So I finally got around to watching Ghostbusters 2016 and as I was told, it was pretty bad. That said, I thought it would be interesting to listen/watch some YT videos analyzing it. The problem is that I suspect 80% of the videos on it are of the "DURR, IS SUCKS CAUSE GIRLS" chud variety. Does anyone know of any actual good analysis of it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

fallenturtle posted:

So I finally got around to watching Ghostbusters 2016 and as I was told, it was pretty bad. That said, I thought it would be interesting to listen/watch some YT videos analyzing it. The problem is that I suspect 80% of the videos on it are of the "DURR, IS SUCKS CAUSE GIRLS" chud variety. Does anyone know of any actual good analysis of it?

Red Letter Media has no less than three on it. They're entertaining if you like RLM's style (and don't mind the Plinkett shtick in the Plinkett video). They point out it's a good cast in a terrible movie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Plinkett specifically points out that with tighter direction/less indulgent improv the movie could’ve been real good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Grapplejack posted:

Honestly I wish more games would play with the idea of being evil / your character being evil. Like tyranny, you could be a sociopath, or an rear end in a top hat, or you could be a stuffy, law-loving shithead. One of the things I liked about Mafia 3 was that Lincoln was a bad guy and the game at no point pretended otherwise, and Lincoln didn't give a poo poo.

The issue is that for most players it's not something they like to do.

Tyranny was a commercial disaster and internal metrics from Bioware said like 80% of Mass Effect players went Paragon

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Mafia 3 is the best Punisher story ever written

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alaois posted:

Mafia 3 is the best Punisher story ever written

Reminds me of this essay on it: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3zb5a/swift-violent-death-in-mafia-iii-makes-its-storytelling-great

Reading that again made me want to replay it, it's repetitive but really really great.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shaun's video is good. even shows a couple of examples of how poo poo the editing is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcXszrAs5ik

though he points out editing wouldn't have saved it since you would've ended up with a 45 minute long movie.

rlm's half in the bag and plinkett are good too.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think it was RLM that specifically showed how a joke could be funny if properly edited

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

fallenturtle posted:

I recommend Ralphthemoviemaker's video on it. He does a great job of dissecting the alleged comedy of the film and explaining why it doesn't work.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think it was RLM that specifically showed how a joke could be funny if properly edited

I saw RLM but don't recall that... I'm now watching Shaun's and he is doing this.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The issue is that for most players it's not something they like to do.

Tyranny was a commercial disaster and internal metrics from Bioware said like 80% of Mass Effect players went Paragon
Hence it being a wish, because even if Tyranny didn't sell well, it was very good.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Grapplejack posted:

Watch Dogs is really good for letting you play a complete piece of poo poo that you can only choose to make shittier but somehow framing him as heroic the entire way through the story.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Looks like this video is still unlisted due to Youtube troubles but everyone should set aside the hours and watch this video and the companion video from Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlwjUwZdvYI

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Watch Dogs is really good for letting you play a complete piece of poo poo that you can only choose to make shittier but somehow framing him as heroic the entire way through the story.

It's better when the game is honest with itself about it tbh. Like GTA has always had the problem of pretending like its characters are morally grey or w/e or were forced into the situation. They got around that a bit with the tritagonists in V but that had a plethora of other writing issues.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

V still has the problem of somehow thinking Michael wasn't the most disgusting human being presented in the game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They did a great job of getting me to empathize with Franklin, because I also wanted Trevor and Michael to shut the gently caress up so I could go back to doing fun heists

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Ghostlight posted:

Aiden Pearce is a lovely person and directly causes the problems he and his family deal with. Throughout that entire game I was irritated because he's just so terrible and continually fucks things up.

And yet the game still tried to frame him as this honorable vigilante. God, that game upset me.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Really if the creators of the game had any idea how sociopathic their middle aged white guy protag was they would have given him the assassination missions.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

It's better when the game is honest with itself about it tbh. Like GTA has always had the problem of pretending like its characters are morally grey or w/e or were forced into the situation. They got around that a bit with the tritagonists in V but that had a plethora of other writing issues.

gta 3 and vice city had no pretense of its protagonists being anything other than horrible monsters but the real problem of gta games is that they are garbage

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Grimace posted:

Aiden Pearce is a lovely person and directly causes the problems he and his family deal with. Throughout that entire game I was irritated because he's just so terrible and continually fucks things up.

And yet the game still tried to frame him as this honorable vigilante. God, that game upset me.

What? He's just a decent father uncle trying to avenge his dead daughter niece that he's very close with, and trying to reconnect with his wife sister while she grieves.

Watch Dogs 2 is incidentally FAR better and an outright Good Game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

Jim Sterling's recent video about how "game news" websites are increasingly about pop culture in general more than they are about games caused Linkara to make a Twitter thread about Channel Awesome's failed "Awesome Comics" web series (circa 2016) and how that suffered from the same issue to an insane degree:
I haven't watched that Jimquisition yet, so maybe Jim touched upon this, but one thing worth mentioning: Kotaku and Polygon are both owned by online media conglomerates that run many different websites (Kotaku by Gizmodo Media/Univision and Gawker Media before that, Polygon by Vox Media). Ostensibly they're about different things like pop culture, video games, tech, and sports, but the need for clicks and views is the same. That's why you'll see articles about Game of Thrones on Kotaku, AV Club, Deadspin, and The Root on Gizmodo's website portfolio.

The uniformity of news websites is one of the things that I hate the most about the modern internet and I wish more people talked about it. For sports sites in particular, Deadspin and SB Nation used to be unique and entertaining before they were mandated to go more for outrage clicks.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

At least SB nation makes some good youtube videos.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All I remember of Watch Dogs was the cooler dude you hung out with for one mission while Jesus built my hotrod was playing.

Oh and my brother did some DJing for an official Ubisoft stream of the game. That was cool.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I couldn't get into GTA 5 because it's just so thoroughly misanthropic even for a GTA game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

They did a great job of getting me to empathize with Franklin, because I also wanted Trevor and Michael to shut the gently caress up so I could go back to doing fun heists

yeah, franklin was basicaly the straight man of the whole thing. i liked trevor because as evil and hosed up as he is, he is at least loyal to his friends. mike has his moments but he is self pitying rear end in a top hat who basicaly stabs everyone in the back if he thinks he can get away with it.

anyway i am so loving glad RDR2's writing was legit good and not over the top overly cynical. like it can be cynical but when it is, it feels appropriate. GTA V was just constant cynical bullshit. 4 has those moments but nico has enough gravity that it works sometimes. RDR2 just loving nails a ton of stuff and makes you feel different feelings and toys with stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, franklin was basicaly the straight man of the whole thing. i liked trevor because as evil and hosed up as he is, he is at least loyal to his friends. mike has his moments but he is self pitying rear end in a top hat who basicaly stabs everyone in the back if he thinks he can get away with it.

Trevor isn't loyal, he's manipulative and sociopathic to boot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Trevor isn't loyal, he's manipulative and sociopathic to boot.

i mean in his own twisted way, he viewed mike as his friend and was sorta loyal to him but yeah, you are right.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

fallenturtle posted:

I saw RLM but don't recall that... I'm now watching Shaun's and he is doing this.

They break down a joke where someone says "character x told me this" and someone else says "but character x has been dead for years!" and then character x Jr walks immediately into frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Mr E posted:

Looks like this video is still unlisted due to Youtube troubles but everyone should set aside the hours and watch this video and the companion video from Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlwjUwZdvYI

Don't pass this video up! I really enjoyed his previous travelogues and this is the best one yet. Among the other topics he discusses, I really appreciate how he uses pre-historic ruins of the fallen civilizations of the American southwest to put some perspective on our current perception of our civilization as infallible.