Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DEATH STRANDING is the new AAA game in development from Hideo Kojima, one of the most famous/infamous videogame auteurs. It will be a Playstation 4 exclusive from his new Kojima Studios, with funding by Sony.

The release date will be November 8th, 2019.

Here is the latest trailer, which shows gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piIgkJWDuQg

I WANT TO KNOW WHERE TO BUY IT BEFORE I KNOW WHAT IT IS

Death Stranding $60 preorder at the US Playstation Store
Preorder bonuses:
- DEATH STRANDING PS4™ Dynamic Theme
-Gold “Sam” Sunglasses (in-game item)
-Gold Hat (in-game item)
-Gold Speed Skeleton (in-game item)
-Gold Armor Plate (in-game item)

Death Stranding $80 Digital Deluxe Preorder at the US Playstation store
Preorder bonuses:
-Gold Hat (in-game item)
-Gold “Ludens Mask” Sunglasses (in-game item)
-Gold Power Skeleton (in-game item)
-Gold All-Terrain Skeleton (in-game item)
-Gold Armor Plate (Lv. 2) (in-game item)
- DEATH STRANDING Complete Avatar Set – 10 avatars featuring various characters from the game
- DEATH STRANDING: Timefall (Original Music from the World of Death Stranding)
-Music Album Digital Download and Behind the Scenes Digital Video

Death Stranding $200 Collector's Edition from Best Buy
-Gold Hat (in-game item)
-Gold “Ludens Mask” Sunglasses (in-game item)
-Gold Power Skeleton (in-game item)
-Gold All-Terrain Skeleton (in-game item)
-Gold Armor Plate (Lv. 2) (in-game item)
- DEATH STRANDING Complete Avatar Set – 10 avatars featuring various characters from the game
- DEATH STRANDING: Timefall (Original Music from the World of Death Stranding)
-Music Album Digital Download and Behind the Scenes Digital Video
- Death Stranding steelbook case
- Full-sized BB Pod statue
- Ludens keychain
- BRIDGES cargo case

OFFICIAL DESCRIPTION

quote:

Tomorrow Is In Your Hands
After the collapse of civilization, Sam Bridges must journey across a ravaged landscape crawling with otherworldly threats to save mankind from the brink of extinction. From legendary game creator Hideo Kojima comes an all-new, genre-defying experience for the PlayStation®4 system.

Starring Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Léa Seydoux, and Lindsay Wagner.

quote:

A Journey to Reconnect a Fractured Society
In the near future, mysterious explosions have rocked the planet, setting off a series of supernatural events known as the Death Stranding. With spectral creatures plaguing the landscape, and the planet on the verge of a mass extinction, it’s up to Sam Bridges to journey across the ravaged wasteland and save mankind from impending annihilation.

CAST AND CREW

Norman Reedus as Sam

Mads Mikkelsen as Cliff

Lea Seydoux as Fragile

Margaret Qualley as Mama

Guillermo Del Toro as Deadman

Nicolas Winding Refn as Heartman

Tommie Earl Jenkins as Die Hardman

Troy Baker as Higgs

Lindsay Wagner as President Amelie

Character designs by Yoji Shinkawa

BACKGROUND ON KOJIMA

Hideo Kojima is best known for the Metal Gear series which he created and developed for Konami for almost 3 decades. Originally lauded for inventing the stealth genre, his later games got famous for having convoluted plots, magical realism and challenging artistic statements. Kojima may also be responsible for bringing a lot of the cinematic tools of Hollywood into videogames with his cinematic directing. Kojima has also been accused of being indulgent with time and budget, although his games have always made plenty of money on delivery and been praised for their gameplay and entertainment. He has often half-joked about wanting to break free from the Metal Gear franchise and try other things, and his acrimonious departure from Konami (for being indulgent with time and budget) may be the ripping off of the band-aid that he needed. When he shopped around for a new investor for his new studio, Sony quickly saw an opportunity and basically gave him carte blanche to do whatever he wants. Kojima is a huge fanboy of Hollywood stars and they seem to like him well enough so he is nabbing some great talent for this game.

Side note: despite portraying women in a good light most of the time, Kojima sometimes says or does something knuckle-headed about women. Regarding Metal Gear Solid V, he got indignant when fans complained about Quiet's over-sexualized appearance. Recently he referred to Lindsay Wagner's 1970's self as her "perfect" version, which probably doesn't come across well as something you'd say to a 68 year old woman.

:that's kojima:

OLD TRAILERS:

First reveal trailer at E3 2016 (Norman Reedus and the funky fetus):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2nuHEGhwiw

Game Awards 2016 trailer (Mads Mikkelsen and Guillermo del Toro):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS9V12UcTeg

Game Awards 2017 trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPL_E-TEtL8

E3 2018 trailer (Lea Seydoux and Lindsay Wagner)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP3UngLFou4

WHAT WE OFFICIALLY/PROBABLY KNOW SO FAR

E3 2018 interview with Hideo Kojima and Lindsay Wagner:

Death Stranding will de-emphasize combat, something that helped pitch the idea to Lindsay Wagner who had reservations about appearing in a violent videogame. Kojima says that Lindsay Wagner's character could only be played by the actress, so we can easily assume Tarantino style reference to Wagner's previous body of work (Bionic Woman)

Guillermo del Toro's likeness will be appearing in the game, but will not be voiced or mocapped by him.

Death Stranding is being built on the Decima Engine, which was developed by Guerilla Studios and most famously used in the very beautiful Horizon Zero Dawn. Already last year the two parties reported that Kojima Studios made improvements to the lighting in Decima. According to Kojima's panel at Playstation Experience 2016, Guerilla just handed him a box with their source code even before they had a contract, which left a big impression on him.

Mads Mikkelsen reports being confused when Kojima told him the premise of the game

Norman Reedus' character is named Sam Porter Bridges. He works as a Porter for a company called Bridges.

There is a dangerous phenomenon called Timefall, which appears to refer to the rain. It appears to cause accelerated aging, as it hits Sam's hand and causes the skin to age, and caused a photograph to deteriorate. Presumably this explains why there are almost no buildings or large plants on the surface, and why they need special Porters to deliver things between human settlements.

Lea Seydoux's character works for another company called Fragile Express. She attempts to hire Sam away.

Mads Mikkelsen's character appears to resurrect dead World War 2 soldiers to do his bidding.

Dying in the game appears to cause a Voidout, which is when you wake up alive again, but naked and in a crater.

It appears that every time Sam dies, he gets a new handprint on his body

Dying in the game appears to not reset you to your last saved game. Instead the timeline continues and you respawn in a lake-filled crater.

The United States of America appears to be replaced by the United Cities of America

There are invisible humanoid creatures which appear to be dangerous to humans. They sometimes appear as black shadowy phantoms with a cord coming out of them. The phantoms appear to be hunting humans, but have trouble seeing humans clearly. They appear to bumble around until they hear human noises. Sam covers his mouth when sneaking around them.

Lea Seydoux's character says that Sam has a "chiral allergy."

She also says that she and he have a condition called the "dooms," which can be measured in "levels." This may or may not refer to their ability to detect the phantoms. Lea Seydoux says she can see them, and Sam says he can sense their proximity, probably exhibited by his goosebumps.

Lea Seydoux's outfit has some sort of ferro-fluid spikes. May or may not act like phantom proximity detectors because of their similarity to goosebumps.

Sam has a photo of what appears to be an older version of himself, and older Lindsay Wagner and another woman who might be Lea Seydoux

Lea Seydoux says that a "crypto-biote a day keeps the timefall away." Crypto-biotes appear to be small pink maggots that float around when Sam wakes up in a water-filled crater. In one of the trailers, Sam is seen vomiting out black crypto-biotes, which turn pink and float upwards in the air.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'll keep roping

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Please don't get archived before your time, third Death Stranding thread!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This is going to be the most incomprehensible big budget video game and I am going to love every second of playing it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

At least Best Buy has the CE so I can finally abuse the 2 year GCL subscription I bought on a whim 1 week before they canceled the program.

I cannot get enough of this game in my eyeballs.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bit underwhelmed with the new reveal trailer. I'm down with weirdness but I was hoping Del Toro's involvement would reign in the bad dialogue that's all over Kojima's games. The new trailer doesn't inspire hope about that.

Gameplay looks... Like MGS. I'm not sure what people were expecting, but it doesn't seem to be shaking up the formula any, aside from the death system. It seems like it'll be pretty linear based on the fact the main character is a courier, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's still an open world game, somehow...? I'm not sure what it's really doing that's special and raises it above MGS5.

But I know by now not to trust Kojima game trailers at all. Here's hoping he's holding back the real meat for people to experience fresh in the game.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Look Sir Droids posted:

Please don't get archived before your time, third Death Stranding thread!

It's basically June and it comes out in November. I'm sure it will be fine.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Nobody, and I mean fucken nobody, makes game quite like Kojima. And I mean that in the best way possible. Even when his ideas fail (and he has failed as many times as he has succeeded) they're still interesting.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Steve Yun posted:

There are invisible humanoid creatures which appear to be dangerous to humans. They sometimes appear as black shadowy phantoms with a cord coming out of them. The phantoms appear to be hunting humans, but have trouble seeing humans clearly. They appear to bumble around until they hear human noises. Sam covers his mouth when sneaking around them.

Apparently they can see/hear humans breathing? That was one of the big moments of an earlier trailer, where Sam was with 3 or 4 coworkers that all got killed by them because they either didn't hold their breath or made too many waves. A lot of emphasis put on stuff like breath, footprints, and debris; stuff that humans leave behind in one way or another. Wouldn't be surprised if the phantomwhatevers look at human breath as toxic and harmful to them, in the same vein as vehicle exhaust.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Nobody, and I mean fucken nobody, makes game quite like Kojima. And I mean that in the best way possible. Even when his ideas fail (and he has failed as many times as he has succeeded) they're still interesting.

Yeah that's mostly why I'm interested in this despite not having a very good idea of how it actually plays. It may end up good, it may end up bad, but no matter what happens this game is going to be something.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I like Kojima's games and I even understand why people appreciate the worst ones, but you're really, really setting up a low bar here. I think people are within their rights to expect a game be a little more than "incomprehensible", "interesting", or "something".

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

For the OP:

CHARACTERS and CAST

e: lol guess you were already on it

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 29, 2019

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My favorite part was when the guy took off his mask to reveal he had another mask on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn't notice until now that Guillermo Del Toro's character has frankenstein stitches across his head

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

1stGear posted:

My favorite part was when the guy took off his mask to reveal he had another mask on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone remember an old poem in which a dragon jumped on a person and licked his face as a show of its power? It was something like you'd read in high school

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

For the OP:

CHARACTERS and CAST

e: lol guess you were already on it

"Die-Hardman," jesus

My guess is either everyone will say his completely straight without ever commenting on it, or someone will give you an unprompted, long-winded explanation of why he's named that and it'll be really stupid

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

I didn't notice until now that Guillermo Del Toro's character has frankenstein stitches across his head

I came across that doing image searches. Also this pic of Guillermo and Norman Reedus with Die-Hardman. So I guess he's their boss. He has the Bridges lapel pin.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 29, 2019

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
beautiful, steve. beautiful.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I like Kojima's games and I even understand why people appreciate the worst ones, but you're really, really setting up a low bar here. I think people are within their rights to expect a game be a little more than "incomprehensible", "interesting", or "something".

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"Die-Hardman," jesus

My guess is either everyone will say his completely straight without ever commenting on it, or someone will give you an unprompted, long-winded explanation of why he's named that and it'll be really stupid

lol why are you even in here? Are you new? Just don't buy the game.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

1stGear posted:

I think the golden mask is some kind of device for controlling the phantoms and black tar substance.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

lol why are you even in here? Are you new? Just don't buy the game.

Because I like (some of) Kojima's games and I do actually want this one to be good?

I think MGS5 was one of the greatest games ever made, gameplay-wise. I also think it's one of the stupidest games ever made, writing wise, and that's pretty disappointing. I'm really hoping this game does better.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm already Die-Hardman.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Edit: gently caress

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The way they've described online sounds really cool. You never directly see or interact with any other players, but you can find trails they've left in the wilderness and pick up/leave stuff in shared safe houses. That's a great way to keep the loneliness while still creating a sense of connection.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
this poo poo rules and i'm really hoping to undercut the drama of every cutscene with a pair of big dumb golden preorder sunglasses

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1133771726746210307

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I hope we can get a Homo Demons gangtag in here.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

felix is right despite being embarrassingly bad at MGS1

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Super Kojima Odyssey

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Shneak posted:

Super Kojima Odyssey

I know you mean this in jest, but I'm guessing this game will be Breath of the Wild with a Soviet-era science fiction coat of paint it would not surprise me.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

A game about killing Gay Devils?!? Sign me up!

I actually kinda like the Homodemens name though, But I don't think the internet is gonna be very forgiving.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

David D. Davidson posted:

I know you mean this in jest, but I'm guessing this game will be Breath of the Wild with a Soviet-era science fiction coat of paint it would not surprise me.

It really seems like it'll be a blend of BotW and MGSV. Since you work for a company, I assume it won't be the total "go wherever you want whenever you want" of BotW. Like in MGSV you'll have a pool of missions/jobs you can choose from. But the jobs will be much more exploration based than in MGSV, with your goal being to find a safe route between cities so you can make the delivery. And as you complete more jobs you'll create bridges between cities which will presumably have some sort of gameplay effect

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I have no idea what’s going on, and quite frankly, I’m here for it.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Gripweed posted:

It really seems like it'll be a blend of BotW and MGSV. Since you work for a company, I assume it won't be the total "go wherever you want whenever you want" of BotW. Like in MGSV you'll have a pool of missions/jobs you can choose from. But the jobs will be much more exploration based than in MGSV, with your goal being to find a safe route between cities so you can make the delivery. And as you complete more jobs you'll create bridges between cities which will presumably have some sort of gameplay effect

I think this seems like the most likely outcome, given the newest trailer

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Got a robotic arm prosthesis on my mantle next to the family photos, and god drat it I’ll have a baby in a jar as well.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Is Breath of the Wild being used as a generic term for "open world game"?

I think there will be missions, but I hope without the loadout and load screens of MGSV missions.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lexorin posted:

A game about killing Gay Devils?!? Sign me up!

I actually kinda like the Homodemens name though, But I don't think the internet is gonna be very forgiving.

It's a pretty good name, considering the whole theme the game is setting up about staying connected, and having the villains be people specifically in locked away homogeneous groups works towards that.

But right now it's just 'lol he said homo'

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah I was thinking a Tarkovsky story but directed by Joseph Kosinski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Look Sir Droids posted:

Is Breath of the Wild being used as a generic term for "open world game"?

More like "good open world game", where there's a genuine feeling of exploration and discovery and you aren't just running from mission icon to mission icon

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's a pretty good name, considering the whole theme the game is setting up about staying connected, and having the villains be people specifically in locked away homogeneous groups works towards that.

But right now it's just 'lol he said homo'

Isn't the Homo in Homo Demons the Homo in Homo Sapiens? They're calling themselves a new race of people, demon men.