Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Norm Mcdonald had the best weekend update :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ow8Ci3EmBM

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

Norm Mcdonald had the best weekend update :colbert:

Or so the Germans would have us believe.

He is my second favorite.

I always liked Colin Quinn's running joke about his society to get Dirty Brits out of Ireland.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's not exactly what this thread is for, but it's definitely 90s-related: The Bittersweet Symphony Dispute Is Over

quote:

For the last 22 years, The Verve haven't made a penny from Bittersweet Symphony, after forfeiting the royalties to The Rolling Stones.

The song was embroiled in a legal battle shortly after its release, after The Verve sampled an orchestral version of The Stones' song The Last Time.

As a result, writer Richard Ashcroft had to sign over his rights to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards - until now.

Speaking as he received a lifetime achievement prize at the Ivor Novello Awards, Ashcroft announced: "As of last month, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards signed over all their publishing for Bittersweet Symphony, which was a truly kind and magnanimous thing for them to do."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kind of a dick move on the Stones' part.
I know there's all kinds of poo poo involved but c'mon you old fucks couldn't compromise a little?

I guess you really can't
:chord:
always get what you want

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FilthyImp posted:

I know there's all kinds of poo poo involved but c'mon you old fucks couldn't compromise a little?

I guess you really can't
always get what you want

It was their manager, I believe, who has/had the rights to their songs.

I don't feel much sympathy, though, stealing music shouldn't be rewarded.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Randaconda posted:

Sampling isn't stealing...?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

FilthyImp posted:

I guess you really can't
always get what you want

They just needed some....

Satisfaction

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killingyouguy! posted:

Sampling isn't stealing...?

Without permission (for sale), or in this specific case, going beyond what was agreed upon is.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kinda bittersweet at this point.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cartoon Man posted:

Kinda bittersweet at this point.

:golfclap:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Randaconda posted:

Holy poo poo, it's a white guy's music opinions, preserved perfectly in 90smantium.

Watch as he regales you with his mysterious blind spot for hip-hop.

No one tell him about Ariana Grande's 7 Rings. Or the Thong Song.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sir Lemming posted:

It's not exactly what this thread is for, but it's definitely 90s-related: The Bittersweet Symphony Dispute Is Over

And Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Look guys, Vanilla Ice explains it best:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6TLo4Z_LWu4

It’s not the same!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

FilthyImp posted:

Holy poo poo, it's a white guy's music opinions, preserved perfectly in 90smantium.

Watch as he regales you with his mysterious blind spot for hip-hop.

No one tell him about Ariana Grande's 7 Rings. Or the Thong Song.

Aaaaaaand that's the end of that argument. One of you won, congradulations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I know they had hits in the 80s, UB40 was connected to the 90s because all the girls I went to school with loooooooooooooooooooooooooooves Red Wine. But god drat are they a terrible, terrible band. Considering most of their big hits are bad covers of famous songs, I don't get why they were so popular.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimZj8HW0Kg

Since it's played in the new Godzilla trailer

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

I know they had hits in the 80s, UB40 was connected to the 90s because all the girls I went to school with loooooooooooooooooooooooooooves Red Wine. But god drat are they a terrible, terrible band. Considering most of their big hits are bad covers of famous songs, I don't get why they were so popular.

I like UB40 :colbert:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Randaconda posted:

I like UB40 :colbert:

The takes just keep coming!!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't like ska or reggae but at least Madness looks like they can just rock out and have fun in a live performance. UB40 looked old and tired on day one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

twistedmentat posted:

Or so the Germans would have us believe.

He is my second favorite.

I always liked Colin Quinn's running joke about his society to get Dirty Brits out of Ireland.

I never hated Colin Quinn on Weekend Update because he clearly didn't want to have to replace Norm and said as much on his first appearance.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WsTYcM7G4yk

Cinnemascre had a retrospective on Last Action Hero and played this commercial at the end. I’d totally forgotten that Dan Cortese was Mr. 90’s.

Also Last Action Hero is goddamn amazing.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WsTYcM7G4yk

Cinnemascre had a retrospective on Last Action Hero and played this commercial at the end. I’d totally forgotten that Dan Cortese was Mr. 90’s.

Also Last Action Hero is goddamn amazing.

If a better actor had been found for Arnie's role it would have been the perfect action comedy and people would still be talking about it. It really was a fantastic movie except for him trying to act, which kinda made Hamlet 2 a good probably unintentional dig at the movie itself (inception_sound.mid).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

ryonguy posted:

If a better actor had been found for Arnie's role it would have been the perfect action comedy and people would still be talking about it. It really was a fantastic movie except for him trying to act, which kinda made Hamlet 2 a good probably unintentional dig at the movie itself (inception_sound.mid).

Also The Nostalgia Critic, being the massive tool he turned out to be, took the movie at face value and mocked it for being a "middling action movie with over-the-top scenes, with annoying kid and too many attempts at humor". At no point did he come across the idea that the movie was trying to do parody at the cheesy 80's and Arnie movies in general.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Also The Nostalgia Critic, being the massive tool he turned out to be, took the movie at face value and mocked it for being a "middling action movie with over-the-top scenes, with annoying kid and too many attempts at humor". At no point did he come across the idea that the movie was trying to do parody at the cheesy 80's and Arnie movies in general.

I used to watch that guy years ago, what did he do?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Frankston posted:

I used to watch that guy years ago, what did he do?

Retired the character when he ran out of material, which was a clever more, then overextended, and then restarted the NC franchise because why not.

I used to watch their stuff because of early NC was actually quite funny and insightful, and other performers who were very good, but after restart it became apparent that he really did not have any clue on how to run his business.

Someone who actually cared enough to watch it after the NC reboot can give more insight, but NC was not really popular here to begin with.

But as far as I know, his massive tool-moment was not milkshake ducking or anything like that, just that he ran his franchise to the ground and as it turned out, was not very good at understanding anything beyond face value.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lindsay Ellis was the best thing to come out of that debacle.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm phone posting so I can't post a link to Quinton Reviews Fallen Titans about what happened to Channel Awesome. It's easy enough to find on YouTube.

It was extremely petty and poorly run and sex monsters were protected.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

twistedmentat posted:

It was extremely petty and poorly run and sex monsters were protected.

So the modern internet, then?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

Lindsay Ellis was the best thing to come out of that debacle.

I got introduce to her since she dated Todd in the Shadows and they did some crossovers back in the day. She's pretty cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So the modern internet, then?

Oh no, the Channel Awesome debacle is PARTICULARLY heinous. You know how a lot of JewWario's friends put wario hat in tribute on their sets after his sudden inexplicable suicide?

Turns put the guy was grooming underage fans and Channel Awesome's management (the Walker Bros and Mike Michaud) knew for quite a while. They discreetly let him go and never told anyone why. And accidentally outed the whole thing with chat logs that lined up with when he was let go a few months back when Change the Channel went down and everyone bailed on Channel Awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh no, the Channel Awesome debacle is PARTICULARLY heinous. You know how a lot of JewWario's friends put wario hat in tribute on their sets after his sudden inexplicable suicide?

Turns put the guy was grooming underage fans and Channel Awesome's management (the Walker Bros and Mike Michaud) knew for quite a while. They discreetly let him go and never told anyone why. And accidentally outed the whole thing with chat logs that lined up with when he was let go a few months back when Change the Channel went down and everyone bailed on Channel Awesome.

Yea, it's suggested that's why he killed himself, he was afraid he was going to be exposed.

They also fired one of their long term managers because she wasn't able to make a skype call they set up 5 minutes before.

NC exposed me to a lot of Nick tunes which I wish we had here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, it's suggested that's why he killed himself, he was afraid he was going to be exposed.

I don't think anyone really suggested that, it's just that when it all came out it was a collective individual moment of "Ohhh, that makes sense now :stonk:".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think anyone really suggested that, it's just that when it all came out it was a collective individual moment of "Ohhh, that makes sense now :stonk:".

I've seen a few people speculate after the fact, but yea I don't think anyone thought of that before.

Here's the vid I was talking about.

https://youtu.be/FvedKSaHCBQ

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My husband loves NC and watches him all the time and his videos are so irritating to me (even putting aside the story, which you shouldn't).
It's like 5 minutes of review and 20 minutes of his stupid side characters doing bad skits and horrible impressions and self referencing unfunny bullshit. It's gone Plinkett if Plinkett was even less funny than he actually is.
Nobody gives a gently caress about Santa Christ.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Oh God there's a story?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Plinkett reviews are like 80% actual good points and facts and 20% jokes so it’s easy to excuse when the jokes are bad.

Nostalgia Critic is insufferable though. We’ve all known a smug, spergy contrarian know-it-all rear end in a top hat like that in person and he is an ultra concentrated persona of that, even if he generally makes good points and arguments.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

mostlygray posted:

I knew a guy that worked at Apple back in the day. Apparently Jobs would walk around wearing flip-flops. He'd sit on your desk and smack you in the face with his bare feet. Yes, it sounds absurd. He didn't tell the Apple developers about Macintosh so they developed a bad rear end Apple product using the old OS which was essentially thrown away in '84. Even though he was a stoner visionary, he was hateful to his employees.

As an aside, I legit love the Steve Jobs movie, but that has way more to do with my love of Danny Boyle and Aaron Sorkin than any feelings towards the subject matter.

It has some good retro 90s stuff towards the end too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first video I saw of Nostalgia Critic was the one where he filmed himself quitting his dayjob and it was annoying as hell and I hated him from day one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-Sy11mvZU

Nobody cares about you dude, just leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like guru Larry, outsidexbox, and the AVGNerd, fight me! :saddowns: