Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

fadam posted:

Homo Demons? Oof, that's a yikes from me chief. Real tea? it's time to do better Kojima. I'm tired of goalposts always being moved in favor of the gatekeepers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
looks kinda uninspired despite the weirdness. and kojimas good writer left before mgs4. i personally dont like openworld games

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I have no idea how good of a game Death Stranding will be, I hope it's great, but I also can't stress enough how beyond basically anyone else doing Video Games Kojima has been in so many areas, for just about forever. The camera angles and framing for stuff in Metal Gear Solid 1 is still more cinematic and compelling than modern AAA titles with massive technology and budget and actors can churn out.

Like, I know people love to be 'lol weird, haha thats so wacky, WHATEVER KOJIMA' or want to use some of the wankery stuff to discredit him, but there are side conversations in a Metal Gear game for PSP that have more of a brain than the entire Far Cry franchise.

Games are drowning in people who are more like Randy Pitchford, so I'll be grateful for anything from someone like Kojima.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Also, I pretty much am at the same place as these tweets:
https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1133895538678673408

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 30, 2019

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

this looks so good, way better than Other Video Games out there these days...

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Ambivalent posted:

I have no idea how good of a game Death Stranding will be, I hope it's great, but I also can't stress enough how beyond basically anyone else doing Video Games Kojima has been in so many areas, for just about forever. The camera angles and framing for stuff in Metal Gear Solid 1 is still more cinematic and compelling than modern AAA titles with massive technology and budget and actors can churn out.

Like, I know people love to be 'lol weird, haha thats so wacky, WHATEVER KOJIMA' or want to use some of the wankery stuff to discredit him, but there are side conversations in a Metal Gear game for PSP that have more of a brain than the entire Far Cry franchise.

Games are drowning in people who are more like Randy Pitchford, so I'll be grateful for anything from someone like Kojima.

Word.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
His games are filled with so many little details that are easily missed, november is gonna be good :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Good to see that MGS5 is finally getting a real release.

Steve Yun posted:

Character designs by Yoji Shinkawa

Badass.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Ambivalent posted:

I will always love moments in MGS games where the plot stops dead so characters can talk about some real world issues that are clearly pissing Kojima off. Baker's talk of unaccounted for nuclear material stood out to me as a kid and I remember going to the library (I didn't have internet yet...) to look up a bunch of the poo poo they were talking about throughout that game. :allears:

(same thing happened while playing OG Deus Ex. But I had internet that time!)

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So they still haven’t explained what this game is other than future MGS with extra traversal options. I’m interested but we still know very little.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It's been fun to look through the reddit subforum for this game and just lol and some of the theorycrafting that's they've been doing. You see some of them discussing quantum physics and black holes and poo poo to figure out how they fit into the plot when I managed to guess about ninety percent of what the new trailer revealed just by watching the previous trailers back to back a couple times.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Everything else aside about this game, two of my favorite filmmakers are characters in it? huh? I love this

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Death Stranding Thead: Kaz, I'm already a Homo Demon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Someone buy this tape and read the tiny text on it to see if there's any lore

https://kojimaproductions-store.com/collections/all/products/death-stranding-damage-sensor-tape-pp-tape

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Heh, PP tape.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
PP tape is real

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

PP tape is real

:trumppop:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
oh my lord, this game is gonna be a mess and I am gonna buy a little hand carved wooden sign that says "bless this mess" on it and hang it off of the game with a folksy piece of twine

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Funky Valentine posted:

Death Stranding Thead: Kaz, I'm already a Homo Demon

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Die Hardman as a name owns so much

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Space Panda posted:

So they still haven’t explained what this game is other than future MGS with extra traversal options. I’m interested but we still know very little.

This doesn't look all that similar to MGS, beyond that it's a third-person action game with stealth, punching, and shooting. So is Days Gone. Hell, they both have a motorcycle too.

Death Stranding is a Days-Gone-alike that copies the framework it successfully established and pastes it onto a loopy sci-fi setting. Is Kojima talented enough to make a spiritual sequel to a game made by another studio? We'll find out, on November 8th!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Slightly longer Japanese trailer, AFAICT the only difference is the boss battle footage, japanese dialogue and different music editing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ZLa1Z9-M8

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 30, 2019

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

A lot more focus on action and gameplay, which is good, but it still isn't very clear what kind of stuff we deliver to people or why. I noticed stuff falling off the player when they got hit, I guess those are delivery items or equipment. I am wondering if the void out explosions can be used to create pathways, or maybe activating ~The Baby~ takes us to a different time with different pathways.

Real hurthling! posted:

During the cqc part theres a rock in the background that does like a holographic effect that does not look like a glitch. It looks like the rock is some kind of active camo
Here's a still image of the blue flash

I saw this too, maybe it just means we can interact with it somehow?

e:

Kind of laughing about how Del Toro is in the game, but not voiced or mocapped by him? I guess they just needed a stocky short man.

This is interesting, I think maybe it's meant to be from the view of the baby/babies, it starts and ends that way in the trailer.

ee:
I think the trailer had 1.5 million views since I made my original comment :stare:

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 30, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/james_jarvis/status/1133770242780467200?s=21

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

They haven’t announced Death Stranding Online, have they?

I can imagine we are all Reedus in parallel universes connecting with each other, so there must be an online component where we connect with each other.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

Someone buy this tape and read the tiny text on it to see if there's any lore

https://kojimaproductions-store.com/collections/all/products/death-stranding-damage-sensor-tape-pp-tape

I own a roll of this, it’s super cool! Still haven’t found a use for it yet.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Who do you think the baby is? Or maybe is it babies are? Maybe the funky fetus was (inside of) us all along?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Who do you think the baby is? Or maybe is it babies are? Maybe the funky fetus was (inside of) us all along?

If there's something about accelerated aging I'm guessing like, clones, that they can turn into adults on demand?

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Yo, this poo poo is tight.

I don't know what strange forces coalesced to make it possible but I really appreciate that somehow AAA video games like this can exist in the real world and collectible lamps can be made in the shape of incubating fetuses.

Skeletron fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 30, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Dunno what it is but I think the purpose of the babies is to of course detect the shadow monsters, but also to become a sacrifice for the Voidfall. I think gameplay-wise it’ll kinda work like losing your souls in Dark Souls: You lose your baby(souls) when you die and have to find a new one(retrieve your souls) or else your next death will be game over(you’ll lose the souls permanently).
And it looks like each death leaves a huge crater with “strands” coming out where you died, and it seems you can see other player’s craters too? There’s some sort of vague connection with other players.

Basically what I’m saying is this game is like a combination of Journey and Dark Souls, with a bit of Breath of the Wild.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 30, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Grimey Drawer

David D. Davidson posted:

It's been fun to look through the reddit subforum for this game and just lol and some of the theorycrafting that's they've been doing. You see some of them discussing quantum physics and black holes and poo poo to figure out how they fit into the plot when I managed to guess about ninety percent of what the new trailer revealed just by watching the previous trailers back to back a couple times.

They’re specifically discussing the equations on his dog tags. I think the two most visible were an equation describing the formation of the Schwarzschild radius and another with a Dirac equation that can be used to describe certain types of fermion. They could just be ways of keeping knowledge safe but the Schwarzschild one is suspicious.

SiCk
Jul 4, 2003

My name's SiCk, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!
And I'm just here hoping there will be a PC release at some point like they said there would be originally. :sweatdrop: if not, I guess I have a reason to turn on my ps4 again

RatHat posted:

Dunno what it is but I think the purpose of the babies is to of course detect the shadow monsters, but also to become a sacrifice for the Voidfall. I think gameplay-wise it’ll kinda work like losing your souls in Dark Souls: You lose your baby(souls) when you die and have to find a new one(retrieve your souls) or else your next death will be game over(you’ll lose the souls permanently).
And it looks like each death leaves a huge crater with “strands” coming out where you died, and it seems you can see other player’s craters too? There’s some sort of vague connection with other players.

Basically what I’m saying is this game is like a combination of Journey and Dark Souls, with a bit of Breath of the Wild.

I'd love if it worked like this. Everything seems to keep hinting at helping others and everyone working together, it'd be great to see some sort of Dark Souls esque co-op, or even just like how you can see other players running around at times, I always found that somewhat satisfying

SiCk fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 30, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Ultimate Mango posted:

They haven’t announced Death Stranding Online, have they?

I can imagine we are all Reedus in parallel universes connecting with each other, so there must be an online component where we connect with each other.

The entire game is online. It's been hinted at a few times now that you're working together with people across the world.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1133765190921670657?s=09

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 30, 2019

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

SiCk posted:

And I'm just here hoping there will be a PC release at some point like they said there would be originally. :sweatdrop: if not, I guess I have a reason to turn on my ps4 again

It'll probably be an EGS exclusive if it gets a PC release considering Sony let Heavy Rain etc be released there

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I don’t recall Sony ever promising a PC release. If they were going to do PC versions of their exclusives, Bloodborne would have been ported a long time ago.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don’t recall Sony ever promising a PC release. If they were going to do PC versions of their exclusives, Bloodborne would have been ported a long time ago.

It was part of the initial deal with the new KojiPro (I believe Kojima also got the IP). But it's not been mentioned since, and iirc there was insider talk of that version being cancelled as Sony took on more of the production costs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there's been no update but it's not off the table. No need for total doom and gloom just yet.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/111973/is-death-stranding-a-ps4-exclusive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Japanese voice cast:

Sam Porter Bridges - Kenjiro Tsuda (Genichiro Ashina from Sekiro, Hannes from Attack on Titan, dub voice actor for Colin Farrell, Jamie Dornan and Richard Armitage)
Cliff - Kazuhiro Yamaji ( Date from the Yakuza Series, Japanese dub actor for Willem Dafoe, Hugh Jackman and Nicolas Cage)
Deadman - Akihiko Ishizumi (Ankokuji Ekei from Onimusha 2, Japanese dub actor for Oliver Patt, Philip Seymour Hoffman and John Goodman)
Fragile - Nana Mizuki (Ann Takamami from Persona 5, Hinata from Naruto, Paz from Metal Gear series. Also has a huge singing career, had solo concerts at Tokyo Dome)
Amelie - Kikuko Inoue (Chico from Peace Walker, The Boss from MGS3, Rosemary from MGS2/4, Karen from Policenauts and a bunch of anime roles)
Higgs - Satoshi Mikami (Ocelot from MGSV, Japanese dub actor for Benedict Cumberbatch)
Die-Hard Man - Akio Otsuka (Snake from MGS1 through V, Batou from Ghost in the Shell
Mama - Maaya Sakamoto (Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII, Ling Xiayou from Tekken, Aigis from Persona 3. Lots of anime roles and has done some singing)
Heartman - Hochu Otsuka (Jiraya from Naruto, Ramon from Peace Walker, Dr Constantinou from MGSV)