Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Are you sure that the native Youtube app is playing in 4K? It's been widely reported that the Apple TV 4K can't play Youtube in 4K since it doesn't support the required codec.
I realize now that "ATV" in your post didn't mean Apple TV, and that you are probably referring to the Fire TV.
And this is the Fire TV thread. :hurr:

CygnusTM fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Quote != Edit

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Hey it's totally cool that YT got removed from the fire 4 days early.

(it's not you fuckers)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've got a Fire TV which I love, but the picture has lots of banding, mostly in uniform backgrounds or things in dim lighting or darkness, even in HD. Are all streaming boxes going to produce that or do some offer better image quality?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Your stream provider will down rate the video quality until it streams well. Going down far enough will cause banding.

Option B is to look into a HDR supported family of devices (not all fire tv support HDR) which will solve your banding problem. Assuming your bandwidth is good enough.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Thought this might be the thread to ask. Does Amazon Student support 4K and HDR content through Prime Video? I thought Prime Video is just one tier but I'm not getting 4K/HDR when playing any Amazon Originals through the Prime app on my new LG OLED C7. Thought Student might be the issue.

edit: Nevermind. I was trying a bunch of shows like The Tick, Red Oaks, etc. that I read online should have it but didn't get anything. Now I see that some specifically mention in in their title like Mozart in the Jungle. Working as expected.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 25, 2018

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

What's my best option for streaming files on a local network drive to the Fire Stick?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

What's my best option for streaming files on a local network drive to the Fire Stick?

I've been running Kodi on mine pretty much since it arrived (from the Prime preorder sale way back when), and other than certain hosed-up encodes, it works just fine.

I don't stream full HD Blurays and such, though, so YMMV.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
VLC is also an option, but I prefer Kodi since I've been using that poo poo since the Xbox days and I know my way around it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does the latest generation Fire TV still have banding in video playback? On my 1080p TVs it's particularly noticeable in darker scenes.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does the latest generation Fire TV still have banding in video playback? On my 1080p TVs it's particularly noticeable in darker scenes.

I've never noticed banding issues on any of my FireTV's.. I have the 1st gen box, 2 second gen sticks and the newest (3rd gen?) fireTV dongle thingy

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Check your cable, it might be running reduced color depth to make up for inferior signal quality? I don't think the contacts are big enough but maybe check for corrosion and clean if possible.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there a way of seeing streamable amazon prime movies? When I search for a movie it’ll show me movies I can stream through prime or rent. How can I just browse what is available like with the dedicated Netflix app?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have moved from the US to Spain and we brought our Fire TV box with us. It still works fine with Plex but any attempt to play Amazon Videos gives some region error.

That isn't so unexpected so I transferred our amazon.com account to amazon.es and set our "preferred location" or whatever to Spain there and bought an amazon.es Prime membership.

I can now watch amazon.es prime video content in my browser, but it still doesn't work on the Fire TV box. The amazon support people tell me:

"In this case after seeing the details of your account I can see that the Fire TV that you have, was purchased on Amazon.com and is the first generation so unfortunately it would not be compatible with the Prime Video of Spain, the only device that works in Amazon Spain is the one we sell on Amazon.es."

...which sucks poo poo. I know this is a longshot but does anyone know of a way around this?

I don't know how they determine where you are. My IP is clearly in España so >:(

stevewm
May 10, 2005

other people posted:

I have moved from the US to Spain and we brought our Fire TV box with us. It still works fine with Plex but any attempt to play Amazon Videos gives some region error.

That isn't so unexpected so I transferred our amazon.com account to amazon.es and set our "preferred location" or whatever to Spain there and bought an amazon.es Prime membership.

I can now watch amazon.es prime video content in my browser, but it still doesn't work on the Fire TV box. The amazon support people tell me:

"In this case after seeing the details of your account I can see that the Fire TV that you have, was purchased on Amazon.com and is the first generation so unfortunately it would not be compatible with the Prime Video of Spain, the only device that works in Amazon Spain is the one we sell on Amazon.es."

...which sucks poo poo. I know this is a longshot but does anyone know of a way around this?

I don't know how they determine where you are. My IP is clearly in España so >:(

Have you tried factory resetting the FireTV? And then signing in with your amazon.es account?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Yeah, that is one of the first things I tried.

The OS does have a section where you provide your location by giving a zip code as input, but it assumes a US one. So maybe it really is this limited and the model was only ever sold in the US.

The only fire thing amazon.es sells is the basic fire stick and it's €60 so definitely not worth it to me.

I suppose even if there were some way to get a different firmware on here it would probably result in prime video not working for DRM reasons.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah, might be that the first gen were only supported for the American version? At least here in Japan we didn't get the Fire TV until the 2nd gen, around the same time Amazon Video launched here. I remember hearing people complaining that they imported an American first gen box and it wasn't compatible with their Japanese account.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I got the Cube.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Hulu seems to be repeatedly crashing video playback with connection error messages on the Fire Stick line and only on the Stick line, and while the support people have plenty of reports on this they seem to be unable to make any kind of fix.

It’s a few seconds delay every 5-10 minutes but really sucks for something you’re going to pay money for.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I have an Amazon Fire TV. For some reason, if I go to a game I bought, it now says “app not owned” or “content not owned”. Anyone know why? I tried finding info about it, but I could only find answers related to parental restriction.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So with the FireTV 4k, i open netflix and it just sits on the N logo splash screen. Did a factory reset, deleted it from my amazon account and re"bought" it, and still does the same thing. Am I missing anything?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have 2nd gen Fire TV with maybe a whole...5 apps installed, and I keep getting an "low internal storage" message. I've moved everything I could to the SD card save for Prime Video, Netflix, CBS and HBO but I'm still using over 90% of the internal storage. Those apps being the largest make up less than 450MB. Is the OS using up that much space?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have a launch Fire TV stick that has been shelved for over a year that I decided to dust off and mess with.

Does it have to download and install literally every single update in sequence to bring it up to date? I'm about seven updates deep at this point.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

NofrikinfuN posted:

I have a launch Fire TV stick that has been shelved for over a year that I decided to dust off and mess with.

Does it have to download and install literally every single update in sequence to bring it up to date? I'm about seven updates deep at this point.

That's what my nieces' Kindle Fire tablets did. Madness. I'd suggest resetting to factory settings once the final update is installed to eradicate any shite left between upgrades, and to insure the best performance from the thing.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Mental Hospitality posted:

I have 2nd gen Fire TV with maybe a whole...5 apps installed, and I keep getting an "low internal storage" message. I've moved everything I could to the SD card save for Prime Video, Netflix, CBS and HBO but I'm still using over 90% of the internal storage. Those apps being the largest make up less than 450MB. Is the OS using up that much space?

Are you using Kodi? If so, might wanna clear the cache on that.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
e nvm

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 26, 2019

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Does the Netflix app respect variable refresh rate from the newer fire tv settings?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does anybody here have any experience with the Insignia FireTV Edition sets? Is the FireTV performance considerably snappier than the FireTV Stick? I was considering an Apple TV, but my TV just blew out either the inverter or the backlight, so I'm looking at options. These look like a pretty decent value, but I was not so impressed by the UI speed or wifi strength on the FireTV Stick.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Built in TV options usually aren't implemented very well and are rarely updated. I think you'd be better off with a Fire Stick 4K since they are snappier than previous models and you're only out $40 if you wanna switch to something else later.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CubanMissile posted:

Built in TV options usually aren't implemented very well and are rarely updated. I think you'd be better off with a Fire Stick 4K since they are snappier than previous models and you're only out $40 if you wanna switch to something else later.

Roku TV's are the exception - even the old ones from years ago still receive updates

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've been using Firefox on the firetv to watch youtube but it seems the latest firefox update has crapped a 'helpful' black bar across the bottom of the screen eating up space.

It so helpfully says 'Press <button picture> for Firefox TV Home, search, settings and more'.

Any ideas on how to remove this ?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm afraid I don't know, but I can tell you the official youtube app is coming back soon

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
did the screensaver function change for everyone? it only shows my most recent photos now.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also I'll chime in and say that besides that screensaver issue I've loved my Toshiba Firetv, performance is good and it's very pretty for the pittance you pay.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ahh its so nice to have the real Youtube app back..

The speed difference between the app and the browser version is quite noticeable...

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just picked up a Fire Stick and it's pretty cool, but is there a way to set a preferred video service? For example, The X-Files is available on both Prime Video and Hulu. Right now, if I say "Alexa, play The X-Files," it will default to Hulu for some reason, which sucks because Hulu has ads while PV doesn't. I looked around in the settings but couldn't find anything.

Edit: It does this even if I ask for a specific content provider.

"Alexa, play The X-Files on Prime Video."

"Getting The X-Files from Hulu."

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 17, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I got a Fire TV Stick from an office raffle several months ago and I finally got around to setting it up this weekend. We've got Netflix, Hulu, and Plex up and running so far. It's a nice little device.

Are there some recommended tweaks/hacks for this thing I can use? I've read I can install Kodi on it.

Also, I can't seem to cast to the Youtube app from my desktop or laptops, but I can connect to it fine from my phone. Not sure if that's a known issue. Maybe I should try using Kodi instead?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

You can run Kodi on it just fine, and I also found the cast portion picky. Make sure you have the actual YouTube app and not the YouTube.com app which are all different.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What would give faster performance, the second gen Fire TV (the 4K one) or the current Fire TV Stick 4K?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

You can run Kodi on it just fine, and I also found the cast portion picky. Make sure you have the actual YouTube app and not the YouTube.com app which are all different.

It's the actual Youtube app downloaded via the list of apps on the Fire TV Stick menu. It's weird because Chrome on my other devices will see the Stick in the Cast menu, but when I select it and connect to it, nothing happens. If I then disconnect, the Stick Youtube app closes.