Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Maybe someone else can chime in, but if you are looking for cores... the 3900x releasing on 7/7 has 12/24 and could turn out to be a very, very good processor. I'd probably wait for reliable benchmarks, but it's.... promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

codo27 posted:

Hallucinating or not, you should get on PCP

Mission accomplished, former derived from the latter

Thanks for the GPU info gonna go sell plasma and see if I can eek out 10 more fps on Overwatch

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

blugu64 posted:

In the US. Planning a build to host VMs (personal education lab), share ripped DVDs (legit I swear, my wife has a massive collection of physical media that I’d like to make take up less space in the living room), play with SDRs and general nerd stuff like that. Maybe do some light gaming but that’s a distant fourth.

Would I be a fool for buying an i9 (9900k) at the moment? Not super concerned about the cost ($1000-$1500 seems reasonable to me), and I mostly want the cores + hyperthreading for VMs. Planning on 32gb of ram to start and bumping it to 64gb later this year. I’ve already got SSDs to use and am going to add a HDD later on for slow storage later. Haven’t really looked at AMD, because it’s my understanding they lack a couple VM features (hardware pass through maybe? Not 100%)

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Maybe someone else can chime in, but if you are looking for cores... the 3900x releasing on 7/7 has 12/24 and could turn out to be a very, very good processor. I'd probably wait for reliable benchmarks, but it's.... promising.

Yeah I would say buy threadripper now or wait for the 3900X. Threadripper offers more cores (up to 32), more memory channels, and more PCI-E lanes while the 3900X should offer better per core performance and a cheaper overall platform.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Unless you know you're going to need more than 12c/24t, I'd wait for 3900x rather than build threadripper now unless you really need the PCI lanes. I'm seeing less and less reason for home users to jump into HEDT these days, the consumer stuff is really cannibalizing the low end of that market.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Unless you know you're going to need more than 12c/24t, I'd wait for 3900x rather than build threadripper now unless you really need the PCI lanes. I'm seeing less and less reason for home users to jump into HEDT these days, the consumer stuff is really cannibalizing the low end of that market.

Doesn't the expanded TDP of a HEDT mean more boost on more cores longer before the processor has to come back down to its TDP envelope?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I can't even imagine the 12c/24t application for a consumer end user. Video editing/rendering stuff I guess but it's hard to imagine that significantly outperforming an 8c/16t chip with similar clocks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

I can't even imagine the 12c/24t application for a consumer end user. Video editing/rendering stuff I guess but it's hard to imagine that significantly outperforming an 8c/16t chip with similar clocks.

Basically exclusively the domain of one stop shops for gaming and streaming via twitch simultaneously, as you can run OBS and have it use the threads unused by gaming in order to transcode the video into something Twitch or Youtube likes.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A coworker has tasked me with looking over and “approving” his list of components. Unfortunately, I spoke before I realized I don’t know much about the current components on the market.

His budget is $800 and he will primarily be using it for statistical analysis (no idea what software) but he also wants to be able to play games like Civ 5 but no shooters or anything much more graphical. He has a 1080p monitor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2jRp7W

Would anyone do me the favor of looking over that part list and send offering a quick critique please?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

VelociBacon posted:

Stuff like Blender scales well with more cores, the 2920X beats an overclocked 9900k despite the clock and IPC disadvantage.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

orange juche posted:

The P5000 is about 6% slower than a GTX 1080. It will be a little bit faster than a 1070TI. It's perfectly fine for running a modern game at 45-60FPS without turning anything down, but will your work allow you to run video games on machines that process health information? If you have patient medical data on your workstation there may be regulations prohibiting certain uses for that machine.

Thanks. I’ll probably go with the p5000 then.

Not too concerned about data security. Nothing is stored local after logout. Plus I’m not an employee and I will own the machine.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Supposedly the next gen consoles will all be based on Zen, so it would stand to reason those cores might get better utilized in the near future than they have recently.

Karin73
Mar 11, 2019

If my computer dies soon, I might have to buy a new computer. What I'm wondering is, what GPU do you think the PS5 will have an equivalent to? I'd want to play Street Fighter 6, which will probably be on the PS5 and PC. For example, Street Fighter V's requirements on PC are a GTX 480. I'm thinking that since the PS4 was released in 2013 and the GTX 480 was released in 2010, a high end card from 2017, like the GTX 1080 would play SF6. It would be the worst case scenario if my computer dies soon and I had to buy a new computer, because the longer I'd wait, the better computer I'd probably get. I'm probably worrying too much, but I'd like to hear someone's opinion. I think that generally, around the time new consoles are released is the best time to buy computers because a lot of games released on consoles are also released on PC and they have similar requirements.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They've already said the new consoles will use a Navi-based GPU as well. That being said, don't buy AMD now to emulate a console that's likely still two years away.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

iddqd posted:

A coworker has tasked me with looking over and “approving” his list of components. Unfortunately, I spoke before I realized I don’t know much about the current components on the market.

His budget is $800 and he will primarily be using it for statistical analysis (no idea what software) but he also wants to be able to play games like Civ 5 but no shooters or anything much more graphical. He has a 1080p monitor.

Would anyone do me the favor of looking over that part list and send offering a quick critique please?

Looks good, I'd get a win 7 key from sa mart and save 75 bucks, it is legit and works fine (download the free win10pro installer from ms and enter the key).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

iddqd posted:

The 250/500GB version of the 970 EVO were disappointing, and are definitely not worth that price. You can get a proper 1TB NVMe that will outperform it for $130, or $135 if you don't want to mess around with rebates.

Spend a little extra for a good gold PSU. Deals aren't fantastic right now, but the EVGA G3 550W is $68 and comes with a 7-year warranty. The Seasonic Focus Gold 550W or 850W have 10-year warranties and are the next step up at $85. It's worth it for the peace of mind alone, but fully modular supplies are also nicer to work with and the power savings will pay for some of the price difference over the years.

If they're considering keeping the computer for a long time, they might want to also consider spending the extra $40 for a MSi Tomahawk motherboard. That'll easily run the 8-core 2nd-, 3rd-, and possibly 4th-generation AMD CPUs if he decides he needs more computational power down the line.

E: If you have a Microcenter nearby, you can get the 1600 for $80 and a discount on a bundled motherboard!

E2: And if you do, the 1TB Inland Premium NVMe for $100 is a solid SSD choice.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 30, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Supposedly the next gen consoles will all be based on Zen, so it would stand to reason those cores might get better utilized in the near future than they have recently.

Both of them are supposedly going to be 8c 16t processors based on Zen 2 with the modular chiplet/IO design, with Navi on the other chiplet location, which means that 8c16t processors are going to become the mainstream gaming CPU within the near future.

This also means that both consoles will basically be identical with the exception of OS and game exclusives.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

sebmojo posted:

Looks good, I'd get a win 7 key from sa mart and save 75 bucks, it is legit and works fine (download the free win10pro installer from ms and enter the key).
So if I'm building a PC from scratch, I buy the win 7 key on SA-mart, download win7 from the dropbox link in the SA-mart post and save it on a usb drive using a different PC, install win 7 off of the usb drive, download the win10 installer, then use the key to upgrade to win10?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You don't need to install Windows 7 - the key will work directly with Windows 10. You might have to call the support number to get it working, but I think it's mostly authenticated automatically.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Well poo poo

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1133976636339163136?s=19

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stickman posted:

You don't need to install Windows 7 - the key will work directly with Windows 10. You might have to call the support number to get it working, but I think it's mostly authenticated automatically.

It worked fine with me, install 10 off a usb, select pro and I don't have a key, then activate when it's installed.

Win 7 install didn't even work with the ryzen 2600, it wouldn't recognise the kb/m.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

EVGA graphic cards are expensive in EU, to a point where RTX2080 XC2 costs as much as 2-fan 2080ti from MSI or Palit. And have no visible marketing. No idea about the service, or if there’s even any step up program offered, I didn’t see any mention of it on EU page.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

alex314 posted:

EVGA graphic cards are expensive in EU, to a point where RTX2080 XC2 costs as much as 2-fan 2080ti from MSI or Palit. And have no visible marketing. No idea about the service, or if there’s even any step up program offered, I didn’t see any mention of it on EU page.

they have step up and everything, but the available choice of SKUs tends to be worse than the US one. Plus having to re-pay tax when you step up, since you get credit for the "net" price of your original card, sucks in EU with our VAT at 23% or whatever (ranges from 20 to 25% in various countries iirc) so eeeeh

their warranty agreement sounds good, but I never had to use it and neither heard of EU people using it, so who knows?

True that they're way more expensive, I got my 1080 FTW as a bargain bundle with a G3 750W from their official webstore for a great price all considered - it was just about what people actually pay off the shelf in USA for buying those parts separately :v:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is there much point to NVME drives for gaming systems when I've already got a 860 SATA SSD?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I posted similar stuff to the below this time last year and was advised to get a i5-8400 or R5 2600 to replace the i5-2500k. All good but unexpected expenses meant I couldn't pull the trigger in the end, does that still hold for the below?

What country are you in? UK
What are you using the system for? Gaming, I play a bit of everything from graphics intensive AAA titles to more CPU-bound stuff like Crusader Kings or Kerbal Space Program but I'm usually 18 months or so behind the times when I get round to playing a game since I very rarely buy at full price.
What's your budget? I can probably go to about £500 but if the best bang-for-buck setup is cheaper than that, great.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 1440p, as above on the performance needs. Running well without the ultra-ultra settings does for me. I'll take more power if it won't cost me too much, though.

I'm in a bit of strange place with my PC. My motherboard blew up at Christmas and boards at a reasonable price for my i5-2500k were hard to find so I ended up with a bog-standard £20 office motherboard that runs fine but can't overclock or run any of the ports on the front of my PC.

My system is:
Corsair TX550M
lovely Intel Motherboard
i5-2500k that I can't overclock
4x4GB DDR3
2x SSDs, 1x HDD
GTX 970
NZXT Phantom case (RTX)

I have a k chip but since then I've stopped caring about overclocking so I'm not in the market for a k chip or massive cooler. So what CPU/board/RAM would suit me best?

Also I'm guessing that I'll need to shell out for Windows 10?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 30, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TorakFade posted:

their warranty agreement sounds good, but I never had to use it and neither heard of EU people using it, so who knows?
This is why their warranty is good.

Ragingsheep posted:

Is there much point to NVME drives for gaming systems when I've already got a 860 SATA SSD?
If you want or need more space, there are nvme drives with similar $/tb to SATA drives and better theoretical performance.

Most game load time differences are sub 1s. There are real world benefits to NVME drives, but gaming in 99% of cases isn't one.

This youtube video shows the difference in action. The worst-case shown was a 1.5s difference. The best case was a 0s difference.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 30, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So my build seems to have worked out great except for one thing. I misunderstood the Wraith cooler on the 2600X and really mangled the pre-applied thermal layer by attaching and then removing twice. Dumb but I have very little experience with that so :rip: and move on. I have a 212 EVO thats been sitting around for a year or 2 now in the box, I might get them to send me the AM4 bracket and use that. More importantly though, would that paste in the 212 box be okay sitting around so long for repasting the Wraith? Is it worth bothering for the AM4 bracket at all?

I wouldn’t mind taking it up from like 3.6 to 4.0 if that’s doable.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 30, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mazz posted:

So my build seems to have worked out great except for one thing. I misunderstood the Wraith cooler on the 2600X and really mangled the pre-applied thermal layer by attaching and then removing twice. Dumb but I have very little experience with that so :rip: and move on. I have a 212 EVO thats been sitting around for a year or 2 now in the box, I might get them to send me the AM4 bracket and use that. More importantly though, would that paste in the 212 box be okay sitting around so long for repasting the Wraith? Is it worth bothering for the AM4 bracket at all?
As long as the paste isn't dried out it should be fine. If it's dried out it won't spread or come out of the tube well, and it will be hard. If you had it covered in its container it's probably fine.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 30, 2019

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I did some reading , and apparently EVGA EU service centre in Germany was highly regarded whenever something broke. I bought Zotac amp 2080 instead for 640€, EVGA would be 200€ extra, and I didn’t feel it was worth extra. Zotac is fine for now, quieter than my 1060 while idle and a bit louder on stress. I need to screw around with case fan curves, because extra 100W slowly increases temps and then fans ramp up to 100%, temps drop, fans slow down and it repeats.
I also bought my card 3 days before Wolfenstein promo :mad:

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
Is there a go-to recommendation for wireless cards?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

betamax hipster posted:

Not really. I have an asus pce-AC55BT B1 AC1200 which I can report works just fine, but then I got powerline Ethernet and never looked back.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Unless you really, really need something that absolutely tiny, a NUC is a better idea, especially used. There are nearly no moving parts and nothing much can go wrong with them so they're a very solid ebay pickup.

i.e. this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-NUC-...hc227m&LH_BIN=1

plus 8gb of ddr3 sodimms and a 128gb ssd should be well within your budget and enough overkill to last you years.
Just replying to say that I got a NUC off of Amazon for a great price and it's perfect for my mother-in-law. Thanks!

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

That sucks. Will EVGA still honor the warranty on my GTX1070 until it expires in August?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

spasticColon posted:

That sucks. Will EVGA still honor the warranty on my GTX1070 until it expires in August?

I wouldn't worry about it until we get confirmation or EVGA makes a statement. There's literally no other information about this anywhere, and some of the mentioned products are 10 years old (I'm pretty sure they haven't had a monitor since the InterView). Glassdoor does suggest that Han is probably an rear end, though! EVGA had a full line-up Computex and they're a pretty popular brand, so I suspect that if they were having financial trouble they'd either be bought out or the proceedings would last longer than August anyway.

I might hold off recommending new EVGA purchases for a week until we hear one way or the other.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 30, 2019

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I don't plan on getting another EVGA card anyway because the fans on my 1070 are noisy when the card is under load.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

betamax hipster posted:

You've a few options.

The ASUS cards, at least, the last-generation AC cards, generally utilize Broadcom chipsets. These are kinda old, but they have the benefit of having very broad driver support.

Gigabyte's cards - to my knowledge - almost universally use Intel WLAN cards now (they used to use Atheros a few years ago). Downsides to this is that I think the 8000 series and higher are Win10 only, plus it's difficult to learn which SKUs use which cards and which are newest, etc, etc, etc.

The last option is ~rolling your own~. There are PCIe/internal USB adapter cards that will house an M.2 2230 card (the standard form factor for the new Intel WLAN cards) and include attached antennae or the holes to easily mount them from. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Fenvi-Wireless-Converter-Including-Networking/dp/B01MFGYAX6

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

betamax hipster posted:

I have this in both my computer and my niece's.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Archer-T6E-Wireless-Technology/dp/B016K0896K

I had an Intel one before this that would constantly poo poo itself and I would have to disable and re-enable it every 5 minutes. This one I haven't had to reset once in the 5 months I've had it. So by my anecdote, I'd stay away from the Intel ones.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

There's no problem with resting a tower on its side if it would fit in a better spot, right? Mobo would be on bottom, no optical drive, no vents on the side of the case that would face down.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah that's fine

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I mentioned before about my memory not wanting to run at advertised speed (3600). Board supports it, it's on the qvl. I've just been lazy and been dealing with it but I got some time today so I took it down and tried each stick individually. Works fine. Put them all back in, boots, seems fine, clocks look as they should. Oddly, I was gonna run a game to test and each time I opened steam, pc hard locked. Prob a coincidence, but I'm starting to wonder if it's not the board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

codo27 posted:

So I mentioned before about my memory not wanting to run at advertised speed (3600). Board supports it, it's on the qvl. I've just been lazy and been dealing with it but I got some time today so I took it down and tried each stick individually. Works fine. Put them all back in, boots, seems fine, clocks look as they should. Oddly, I was gonna run a game to test and each time I opened steam, pc hard locked. Prob a coincidence, but I'm starting to wonder if it's not the board
You might need to loosen up timings or throw a bit more voltage at it.