Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The title is the best part. Archer: 1999

Lol. That’s digging deep. That was may favorite show as a kid.

(I’ll respect the spoiler, but I’m not sure why you’re using it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The title is the best part. Archer: 1999

The opening better be that opening.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It’s fun rewatching the series and seeing how the characters evolve, like Cyril being nebbish and goofy but ultimately harmless and Pam actually trying to do her job, plus Krieger just being there for a couple of episodes completely mute

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Isn't his first line "I call him fister Roboto"? I remember that being a hell of a way to break the mute spell.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Isn't his first line "I call him fister Roboto"? I remember that being a hell of a way to break the mute spell.

Yes, and I think the same episode he’s snorting mostly MSG off of Pam’s belly

Edit: also a lot of shots of the characters talking taken from diagonally below them

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 22, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Burt Reynolds :(

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Alexeythegreat posted:

Burt Reynolds :(

I know. My wife suggested we find some Archer to watch. I can think of a few episodes....

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I say this thread bumped and instantly knew why. :(

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Well I guess we'll never get that final chapter in the McKlusky trilogy now. Shame too because that opening they described sounded really good.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I finally finished Danger Island. Much better than Dreamland- the end of that actually was way too grim and violent for me. Looking forward to space tho

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't like Lana's chances of surviving an Alien pastiche given her last name.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/HJBenjamin/status/1075126087875813376

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
New season starts May 29th. Trailer below.

https://twitter.com/archerfxx/status/1117827423465160709

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

This looks like a lot of fun to me. Yay.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Why would they put a re-used joke [cricket bat] in the sizzle reel for their new season?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I seriously love that they named Lana after poison ivy medication.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was hoping if they did Space Archer, it would be more Star Trek than Aliens, but despite having an Aliens aesthetic, it looks like they're borrowing from everything. Which is great.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
At the end of last season I wasn't crazy about the idea of Archer but it's in space this time. But the trailer looks fun and I'm very much down for this now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is the final season right? I'm gonna miss this show when it's gone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think Reed walked that back a year or two ago. If they have a good idea for another season they’ll do it, he was just sort of burned out by the real world seasons.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think Reed walked that back a year or two ago. If they have a good idea for another season they’ll do it, he was just sort of burned out by the real world seasons.

He also had a different show he was working on when he was talking about ending Archer that never made it past the pilot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He also had some medical difficulties when he was writing the noir season and related depression, but Danger Island reinvigorated his love of the show.

That being said, I think I also read that he wants to hand it off to a new showrunner and only return if they do a movie.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want them to go back to making normal archer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Turtlicious posted:

So you want it to be like Simpsons.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Show's back on tonight but I'm not sure if we need to make a new thread or not

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

GreenNight posted:

So you want it to be like Simpsons.

Unironically yes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Show's back on tonight but I'm not sure if we need to make a new thread or not

I'm fine either way, but we'll need at least one episode to get a good thread title.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Archer 1999: Smells like a fart poo poo its pants....

Well, not a great title, but that was a good line.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was alright. Looks fantastic though. Will be watching the rest but I doubt it'll top last season

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Despite the fact that I love this space style, I was worried I wouldn't like it. I didn't expect it to be this bad though. Not a single part of this episode was funny.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Turtlicious posted:

At least a season of it would be nice before they end it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

At least a season of it would be nice before they end it.
I sincerely hope at the end of one of the seasons it just shows Archer dying in his coma, alone, without any friends or family. The only person at the funeral is Barry.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was fine but pretty light on the laughs. The stuff with Ray was terrible. I miss when he had some depth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ray is supposed to be the Companion from Firefly?

Also I am confused that Cheryl is now Carol and has Captain Marvel hair, is she going to get super powers at some point?

Its only the first episode, but they packed a lot in, and interested to see where this is going.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm liking the new season! Man, the animation has come a long way since season one.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I liked "space phrasing". The sci fi high concept & look of the show mixing all the dumb genres together is dope but yea I was not feeling the laughs overall.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I wasn't thrilled, but - that was a lot of setup to establish in twenty minutes and it was done in a way that felt lazy. But: twenty minutes. Everyone has to be established in this new iteration, the situation and backstory need to be filled in, and the catchphrases must be fired off in salute to remind the channelflipping chuds what they're watching. It's a terse pilot. But we also see the palette of references being drawn on, and in a way the great stories and tropes of space opera become characters themselves. It might become really fun, all the right pieces are there, but I like it when Reed gets experimental, and this seems a little by the numbers in terms of setup and jokes.

The entire thing looked gorgeous. As a visual homage to, like, the entirety of space opera from gungy lived in cockpits to hyperdrive, as a huge fan of the genre, I thought it was spectacular, and visually distinct. Worth it for that alone, and it's still great to listen to these actors do their thing even if you're rolling your eyes at how many times you've heard that catchphrase.

That might even be deliberate: here's all the catchphrases, even Space Phrasing, but the fan service is over. Now it's time for Barry-6.

also those assholes on Reddit will never let us hear the end of Bort

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 30, 2019

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I can't say I was a big fan of Archer and Lana at each other's throats again. I get this is a new continuity without the same character development as the main series, but it made things feel old and tired despite the new setting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

twistedmentat posted:

Ray is supposed to be the Companion from Firefly?
Certainly that was the joke with the geisha outfit

Laterite posted:

The stuff with Ray was terrible. I miss when he had some depth.

twistedmentat posted:

Also I am confused that Cheryl is now Carol

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Archer and Lana at each other's throats again.
Those all seem like callbacks to season one to me and I'm assuming there's a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Kesper North posted:

I wasn't thrilled, but - that was a lot of setup to establish in twenty minutes and it was done in a way that felt lazy. But: twenty minutes. Everyone has to be established in this new iteration, the situation and backstory need to be filled in, and the catchphrases must be fired off in salute to remind the channelflipping chuds what they're watching. It's a terse pilot. But we also see the palette of references being drawn on, and in a way the great stories and tropes of space opera become characters themselves. It might become really fun, all the right pieces are there, but I like it when Reed gets experimental, and this seems a little by the numbers in terms of setup and jokes.

It's the same problem the last few seasons have had; the episodes are devoted to very methodically and mechanically moving through the beats/plot points of the particular genre. I chuckled at Cyril's suppressing fire but that was about it.