Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

tarlibone posted:

Archer 1999: Smells like a fart poo poo its pants....

Well, not a great title, but that was a good line.

"I’m…happy you’re not.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, felt this was a pretty 'meh' episode myself, but I also acknowledge that they have to do setup for the rest of the season and basically reset things. I'll give it a few eps before railing on it. Animation is gorgeous at least, and there's potential.

How many episodes are in this season anyway?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just the one. See you next season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can jump into these seasons without having seen old ones, yeah? I’ve not watched Archer in 3 or 4 years and in no mad rush to catch up, but kinda intrigued to try the new one.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can jump into these seasons without having seen old ones, yeah? I’ve not watched Archer in 3 or 4 years and in no mad rush to catch up, but kinda intrigued to try the new one.

Yes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, knew it was a new story but wasn’t sure if there was a ton of references to older stuff mixed in. Thanks

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

How many episodes are in this season anyway?

Eight like the last few iirc.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can jump into these seasons without having seen old ones, yeah?

You could, but there are a hell of a lot of callbacks that you're obviously not going to get if you haven't seen the thing it's calling back to. I'm not sure you[d be missing much of value but some of the stuff they say and do probably makes more sense with that context.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

You could, but there are a hell of a lot of callbacks that you're obviously not going to get if you haven't seen the thing it's calling back to. I'm not sure you[d be missing much of value but some of the stuff they say and do probably makes more sense with that context.
I think if you've seen seasons 1-4 you could jump into any subsequent season without difficulty. Even 6 can pick up right after 4, it catches you up to the new status quo fast.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Not feeling the annual Pam design overhaul that pokes fun at her but Cheryl looks fantastic. Looking a lot like lambert

Now I want a Farscape reboot with the Archer production team for some reason :thunk:

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 31, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else think Lana sounded... off? Like Aisha Tyler had a cold while recording her lines or something.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else think Lana sounded... off? Like Aisha Tyler had a cold while recording her lines or something.

Pam sounded a bit different as well. Could just be a change in recording equipment.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Not as different as Mallory sounded a season or two ago, it was like she had a cold while she was recording. They all sounded normal to me this time though.

I wonder if there is some symbolism hinting at a relationship between Archer's coma, the fact that he wanted his friends and family to stay in stasis - stay the same, while he had his coma-dreamtime fun - and Lana's pleading that they finally return to Earth as promised, which seems like a metaphor for him waking up. It could be that in among the science fiction references we start getting some Total Recall/Matrix bleed-through.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

... and Lana's pleading that they finally return to Earth as promised, which seems like a metaphor for him waking up...

Thanks for snaping our dumbledores, man. Really appreciate that. Now if you'll excuse me, I might as well crumple up my TV and toss it into the trash.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

apparently Cheryl is based off Kara Thrace from BSG.

good start, in my mind.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kesper North posted:

Not as different as Mallory sounded a season or two ago, it was like she had a cold while she was recording. They all sounded normal to me this time though.

I wonder if there is some symbolism hinting at a relationship between Archer's coma, the fact that he wanted his friends and family to stay in stasis - stay the same, while he had his coma-dreamtime fun - and Lana's pleading that they finally return to Earth as promised, which seems like a metaphor for him waking up. It could be that in among the science fiction references we start getting some Total Recall/Matrix bleed-through.

The past two seasons have, metaphorically, been about Archer's relationship with Woodhouse (and dealing with death) and Pam (and how much he really does value her as a friend) so it would make sense that this season to be about his relationship with Lana (and potentially waking up).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Looks like they are going to keep cribbing hard from Alien this season

I'm also in agreement that the episode was a little meh but they are setting up the scenario so I will give them a pass. However, I have not been a fan of these 'themed' seasons so far.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 31, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Looks like they are going to keep cribbing hard from Alien this season

I'm also in agreement that the episode was a little meh but they are setting up the scenario so I will give them a pass. However, I have not been a fan of these 'themed' seasons so far.

They are going to take a bit from every scifi this season, you can count on that

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Out of curiosity wasn't there a poster here who worked at Archer's art department?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elentor posted:

Out of curiosity wasn't there a poster here who worked at Archer's art department?

I remember the Rick and Morty guy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Elentor posted:

Yes he did work on the show

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Elentor posted:

There definitely is because they were concerned about production leaving Georgia recently, but I forget where they posted.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I kinda liked that one. I'm a sucker for most things space-related and lacking embarrassing alien prosthetics. We'll have to see where they take it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

Thanks for snaping our dumbledores, man. Really appreciate that. Now if you'll excuse me, I might as well crumple up my TV and toss it into the trash.

Well, I'm sorry, Doctor Venture, but as per the terms of the Guild-OSI treaty I can't be held responsible if the show becomes too predictable and my bullshit psychoanalysis of a fictional character's dream actually proves correct :colbert: (And I followed the TVIV spoiler policy!)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

Well, I'm sorry, Doctor Venture, but as per the terms of the Guild-OSI treaty I can't be held responsible if the show becomes too predictable and my bullshit psychoanalysis of a fictional character's dream actually proves correct :colbert: (And I followed the TVIV spoiler policy!)

Well... OK, then.

Actually, it was an insightful prediction; if it turns out to be true, that'll be great. If not, well, nobody'll remember.

Personally, I had my eyes peeled for a sign that Archer's dream world was starting to fray. I seem to remember someone from the show saying that the coma worlds might start breaking down as these seasons go along. I mean, Dreamland was pretty straightforward noir, albeit with robots and the usual Archer nonsense (like the common radiator fix of using a potato, which everyone keeps in the potato compartment). Then, Danger Island had a couple moments where things didn't make perfect sense within the world of the show. Mainly, I'm thinking about how Pam casually mentioned a "catch-twenty-two," and Archer correctly (given the time setting) told her that that wasn't a thing yet.

If that does happen, I hope it's done well. Maybe we'll get some reality checking in on him, or maybe a Dreamland or Danger Island character will make an appearance. (Maybe the Pooveys will fight each other.)

Or, maybe it ends with Archer finding Woodhouse.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

blergh.

edit: at least the big bang theory has a laugh track to beef up catchphrases.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 31, 2019

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

Personally, I had my eyes peeled for a sign that Archer's dream world was starting to fray. I seem to remember someone from the show saying that the coma worlds might start breaking down as these seasons go along. I mean, Dreamland was pretty straightforward noir, albeit with robots and the usual Archer nonsense (like the common radiator fix of using a potato, which everyone keeps in the potato compartment). Then, Danger Island had a couple moments where things didn't make perfect sense within the world of the show. Mainly, I'm thinking about how Pam casually mentioned a "catch-twenty-two," and Archer correctly (given the time setting) told her that that wasn't a thing yet.

If that does happen, I hope it's done well. Maybe we'll get some reality checking in on him, or maybe a Dreamland or Danger Island character will make an appearance. (Maybe the Pooveys will fight each other.)

I'd be down for all of this, though it makes me kinda wish Reed was a Farscape fan so that it could come from in-universe brain fuckery: Have Barry in a Scorpius-style cooling suit instead of a robot body, have Barry put Archer in the Aurora Chair, all of a sudden he's getting flashes of these OTHER MEMORIES including the real one. But I keep getting the impression Archer is somehow self-aware that this is a dream, with the "not a thing yet" style references, as you mention.

tarlibone posted:

For Archer: Aww, sweet.
For Woodhouse: [long-suffering, exhausted sigh]

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Well... OK, then.

Actually, it was an insightful prediction; if it turns out to be true, that'll be great. If not, well, nobody'll remember.

Yeah man, two Pams meeting would definitely fight rather than gently caress.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah man, two Pams meeting would definitely fight rather than gently caress.

I'm pretty sure it would start as a fight.

But now that I think about it... yeah, much splooshing would ensue. I'm thinking a Mr. & Mrs. Smith scenario, but with fists instead of guns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

tarlibone posted:

I'm pretty sure it would start as a fight.

But now that I think about it... yeah, much splooshing would ensue. I'm thinking a Mr. & Mrs. Smith scenario, but with fists instead of guns.
Pam: At first we were fighting, but soon it became more like dancing.

Other Pam: Only this one doesn't need a bionic dick to get me off!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pam: At first we were fighting, but soon it became more like dancing.

Other Pam: Only this one doesn't need a bionic dick to get me off!

Heard this in their voice, snorting San Pellegrino on my keyboard.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I think the episode was entertaining enough to watch the rest of the season (eventually)

This episode was under 19 mins of run time if you take out the title and credits. Last season the episodes were short as well. With short run time plus only 8 episodes, in the 10th season, I don’t see why they just don’t stop at this point. Just do a full length archer movie after this season to give the fans closure on the “real life” parts left and move on

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FactsAreUseless posted:

There definitely is because they were concerned about production leaving Georgia recently, but I forget where they posted.

Was it Vishass? I know he works/worked on the show for a few years.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was it Vishass? I know he works/worked on the show for a few years.
I genuinely have no idea.

Kesper North posted:

Thanks, I tried to capture the rhythm of the show.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Kesper North posted:

The Let's Read James Bond thread in The Book Barn, after repeatedly noting that Sterling Archer is really more of an homage to the book version of Bond than a parody (book Bond is a perpetually drunken lecherous gently caress-up who repeatedly wins only by a combination of sheer luck and being really good at violence), recently quoted an exchange of dialogue verbatim from Goldfinger, but with Bond and Tilly Masterson replaced by appropriate pictures of Archer and Lana.

It not only fits perfectly, but you can't not hear it in their voices.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fun Beak, you kook.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Payndz posted:

The Let's Read James Bond thread in The Book Barn, after repeatedly noting that Sterling Archer is really more of an homage to the book version of Bond than a parody (book Bond is a perpetually drunken lecherous gently caress-up who repeatedly wins only by a combination of sheer luck and being really good at violence), recently quoted an exchange of dialogue verbatim from Goldfinger, but with Bond and Tilly Masterson replaced by appropriate pictures of Archer and Lana.

Just tracked that down and it's great:

poisonpill posted:

'If you touch me there again you'll have to marry me.'

'Allez y la gosse! Maintenant le knock-out!'

'You bloody fool! What the hell do you think you're doing?'

'Your brakes can't be up to much.'

' My brakes! What the hell do you mean? You reversed into me.'

'Gears slipped. I didn't know you were so close.'

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Payndz posted:

Thanks, I went and found that exchange, it was great. I honestly hope they do more of that!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Jesus Spacechrist, that was fun. Now that we know who's what and/or who, they were able to just have them do space Archer stuff. Or, Archer space stuff.

Space Phrasing!

Now, last season, there was one moment when Pam looked directly into the camera and firmly told us all that we werne't watching Tales of the Golden Monkey. It was done in a way that could easily be passed off as "the writers are humorously covering their asses." This episode had one part where the characters wonder whether they or some other show had done this plot before (and I don't know what they were referring to, but I'm sure someone does), one part where Archer looks directly at the camera and delivers lines related to what's happening in front of him, and a part at the end where Pam pretends to do a freeze-frame pose--again, directly to the camera.

Could this be a sign that Archer's dream world is starting to crack a little? Like, his consciousness is becoming aware of the fake nature of his current adventure?

Or is this just the goofy style of space humor we will have to expect in Archer: 1999?

I guess we'll have to wait until next week and tune in at the same space time... same space channel....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A bit better but I was more enjoying the setting more than any of the plot or dialog.