Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Of course Diehardman is no other than motherfucking Big Boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Adaptabullshit posted:

Japanese voice cast:
Mama - Maaya Sakamoto (Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII, Ling Xiayou from Tekken, Aigis from Persona 3. Lots of anime roles and has done some singing)

"Moms are tough."

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there's been no update but it's not off the table. No need for total doom and gloom just yet.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/111973/is-death-stranding-a-ps4-exclusive

There's this, for whatever it's worth.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1134068910192517120

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Story seems to be at least more comprehensible now than it has been in other trailers but man I have so many questions about this weird loving world. My most pressing question is still who Mads is playing since he seems to be maybe an antagonist but also a scienceman. Either way it's a new IP and it's not zombies or samurais so I'm here for it. So many games are straightforward with how "this is what you see, and that's what you get" and what MGS did so well was shove Kafkaesque absurdist logic and genre fiction into unassuming plotlines about soldiers of fortune.

Love that the Kojima name conventions are still alive. Give me Heartman, Die-Hardman, and Punished "Venom" Snake over the all the Jakes and Housemans and Franks. Refn being partially involved is exciting because he's definitely a guy that gets making nightmarish dreamscapes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think early speculation that some alternate dimension came and telefragged our own still seems to be the most plausible explanation.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

WaltherFeng posted:

Of course Diehardman is no other than motherfucking Big Boss.

Should be Bruce Willis imo

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

DLC Inc posted:

Story seems to be at least more comprehensible now than it has been in other trailers but man I have so many questions about this weird loving world. My most pressing question is still who Mads is playing since he seems to be maybe an antagonist but also a scienceman. Either way it's a new IP and it's not zombies or samurais so I'm here for it. So many games are straightforward with how "this is what you see, and that's what you get" and what MGS did so well was shove Kafkaesque absurdist logic and genre fiction into unassuming plotlines about soldiers of fortune.

Love that the Kojima name conventions are still alive. Give me Heartman, Die-Hardman, and Punished "Venom" Snake over the all the Jakes and Housemans and Franks. Refn being partially involved is exciting because he's definitely a guy that gets making nightmarish dreamscapes.

My take on Cliff, the Mads character, is that he’s the scientist that invented baby travel and it corrupted him so he’s unmoored in time or something.

That sucks about dangling a PC release. Now I have to reconsider PS4 plans and opt for spending $300-400 on a new PC build or just a GPU upgrade.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 30, 2019

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I was considering getting a PS4 at some point after prices dropped, for stuff like God of War, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, and this. But if this is going to PC maybe I'd wait. I dunno. Anyone know if we could expect PS4 prices to drop after they announce PS5?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I was considering getting a PS4 at some point after prices dropped, for stuff like God of War, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, and this. But if this is going to PC maybe I'd wait. I dunno. Anyone know if we could expect PS4 prices to drop after they announce PS5?

I'm sure they will, but PS5 isn't likely to come out until late next year at the earliest.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yeah, hopefully a PS5 announcement will drop the PS4 Pro prices soon after. Bummer if prices don't drop until the PS5 actually drops, which I expect to be no sooner than Holidays 2020.

Another PC consideration to me is how big of an online co-op or PvP component this game has. On the one hand, PC offers free multiplayer. On the other, hackers (which tbh I did not experience at all in MGS5).

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I will probably buy it on PS4 purely because my house is set up with the PS4 on the living room TV, and it's a great space to share with people. I did the same thing years ago when MGS4 came out, because for everyone else it was like watching a movie. My PC is in a small space that can comfortably fit one person.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

fwiw, the guy said he was speculating based on known information, no inside info.

https://twitter.com/Tanzen/status/1134078621398839296

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Who do you think the baby is? Or maybe is it babies are? Maybe the funky fetus was (inside of) us all along?

Given all the talk about demons, and ‘the other side’, my current take is it’s going into religious territory, and it’s an unbaptized baby. Because you’re in purgatory, where all unbaptized babies go(ie you’re dead and the ‘other side’ is the land of the living, hence people spawning in due to being killed in WW1) I could see the game having some major conversations about abortion.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Goreld posted:

major conversations about abortion.

A Hideo Kojima Game

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I feel like him saying this isn't a stealth game is a case of lost translation/context. There's obviously plenty of need to sneak around based on the trailers, but perhaps what he was getting at was that stealth (or "tactical espionage") is not the name of the game, as it was in Metal Gear Solid.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Those three games will be $20, $20, and $10 next week, and a PS4 Pro will be $50 off. Maybe the base PS4 will be on sale, too. Probably the best time to buy -- The PS5 is pretty likely not coming out this year, and these are essentially Black Friday 2019 prices (consoles may be a lil cheaper, but I doubt by much.)

FWIW, Kojima & co. worked wonders with the FOX Engine, and MGSV ran incredibly well. Pretty sure I still owned a base PS4 at the time, and I can recall a pretty much steady 60FPS. Death Stranding is on Horizon's/Guerilla's Decima engine, which was not as optimized as FOX Engine was for MGSV, but Kojima may have put it back into the oven for some performance improvements.

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 30, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah, I doubt anyone's going to claim Horizon is a stealth game because you can hide in a patch of grass.

Still I think stealth will be a big factor, but its not the main aspect of the game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Most games have stealth elements that amount to enemies don't just gravitate towards you because you're close to them and you can make them lose sight of you and de-aggro. Like I would not call Sekiro a stealth game but stealth is an important way to approach that game. Stealth elements are just there so the player has options on how and when to engage in combat or approach an objective.

I think what he means is sneaking and avoiding detection is not going to be as important as, say, Metal Gear.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 30, 2019

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah, I think Koj is trying to make clear that this isn't just MGS under a fresh coat of IP.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Death Stranding on PC in 2021, exclusive to Epic Game Store and has Denuvo copy protection.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
Kojima games always have soul even if they're really bad. MGS5 was his first real gently caress-up IMO. what strikes me about this game, though, is that while MGS was always at least somewhat grounded in its alt-history world, tied to real historical events and war and military realism, Death Stranding looks even more like Kojima free jazz than MGS4 and it is a terrible and awesome sight to behold. I am extremely hype to smear this hot mess all over my body and let the funky baby inside

better be a loving PC release though, I'm not buying a PS4 for one game

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Jim Long-un posted:

I'm not buying a PS4 for one game

I look at it as the straw that beaks the camels back so I can also play Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, and Bloodborne as well.

Also, MGS5 is still good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

*brow furrowed*

*not at all mad*

It's MGS V

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That was the most hyped trailer I've ever watched. I can't wait for this game to come out - it looks phenomenal.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

My only issue is that ps4 games coming out these days are shown using ps4 pro capabilities for obvious reasons. I always worry that the ps4 version will be extremely inferior somehow. No way I'm buying a pro when ps5 is around the corner.

And even then, I wonder if they'll still sell ps5 versions as a separate game. Remember going ps3 to ps4 involved some serious porting work due to the different cpu architectures. ps4 to ps5 will be much easier. I say companies will still probably sell separate "remastered" ps5 versions

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The rest of the world has finally caught up with Noby Noby Boy.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Goreld posted:

Given all the talk about demons, and ‘the other side’, my current take is it’s going into religious territory, and it’s an unbaptized baby. Because you’re in purgatory, where all unbaptized babies go(ie you’re dead and the ‘other side’ is the land of the living, hence people spawning in due to being killed in WW1) I could see the game having some major conversations about abortion.

While he might be changing things up I think it's more likely that it's more science-magic much like in the metal gear series than actual religious demons. You know how all the supernatural stuff was actually nano-machines? Or nano-machines combined with psychic powers? Like that.

So souls are energy and their resonance is trapped in a parallel quantum dimension that is very much like hell only its science.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Kojima has the source code for the Decima engine and a development deal with Guerrilla to make improvements.

MGSV sucked because of Konami meddling and rushed to get it out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

My only issue is that ps4 games coming out these days are shown using ps4 pro capabilities for obvious reasons. I always worry that the ps4 version will be extremely inferior somehow. No way I'm buying a pro when ps5 is around the corner.

I've had this worry with every release but they all seem to run and look fine on the base PS4. Moreso than they did towards the start of the generation. If anything the Pro's release seems to have made first and second party devs better at optimising.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

I say companies will still probably sell separate "remastered" ps5 versions

Won't happen, Sony wouldn't let it. It would undermine the backwards compatibility that Sony is pushing. The message is that your library will come with you to PS5, you won't have to rebuy it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Adaptabullshit posted:

MGSV sucked because of Konami meddling and rushed to get it out.

But it still has the best gameplay of any MGS game and I put almost 200 hrs in to it before I started to think it wasn't that great.

acksplode posted:

The message is that your library will come with you to PS5, you won't have to rebuy it.

Sure hope so, but did they do this for PS3 digital libraries converting to PS4?

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
MGS5 is technically good, like the game play is really solid, but it IMO it's not at all memorable like the other MGS games beyond a few of the story sequences that are extremely good (like the intro mission in The Phantom Pain, the doctor trying to gently break the news to Snake about his injuries really grabbed me). but it's 90% filler and my 50000000000000th time kidnapping a soldier whose stats are incrementally better than one of the other 5000 faceless name-and-stat-rank blobs back at Mother Base will never be more than simply that, a rote task that was kind of fun at the time and nothing more. personally I'd rather have mediocre game play coupled with the screaming insanity of, say, MGS4's batshit story. say what you will about MGS4, but being unmemorable is definitely not an easy criticism to level at it lol

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wamdoodle posted:

*brow furrowed*

*not at all mad*

It's MGS V
It's five. V can come too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MGS 4 and V probably shouldn't have been made and I get the feeling Kojima didn't want to go that far + was pressured by the company to keep making them since they'd get made with or without him. It'll be cool to see him at work on a variety of things now that there's no overbearing IP to keep up with.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

Sure hope so, but did they do this for PS3 digital libraries converting to PS4?

No, but Sony never promised PS3 -> PS4 backwards compatibility. Sony is explicitly promising PS4 -> PS5 BC.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

After watched all the trailers I could find on youtube I think I'm getting a better picture of what the game is about too. My guess is that the babies are their form of time travel in the future where you go into the babies' future self and control it, which could work the opposite way as well? Yea Mad's character seems like the antagonist and inventor of the time babies but also the father to Norman's character. One of the trailers was interesting in that it started talking about the big bang and about "another explosion" and the downfall of humanity. Possibly a reverse big bang? It might explain why when you die you cause a giant crater to form because its chewing away the very land you stand on. Just some wild speculation here but the phantom humanoids might be from deeper in the future where the "reverse big bang" has eaten most of time and space. The fragmenting of the US kind of works in the plot where some cities are trying to stop the extinction event while others see their demise as inevitable and try to use the "void fall" to their advantage. Also works into the dialogue where Norman and the president argue over the future of America. How the multiplayer fits into it I have no idea. There seems to be so many cut scenes from the trailers that my guess is there won't be any coop in the same instance but more like you can visit the other side of the player's dimension? Hence the really black, liquidy world that looks like there's lots of anarchy and chaos.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Re-watching the trailer.

quote:

Covering the world in cable didn't bring an end to war and suffering. Don't act surprised if it all comes apart if you try to do it again.

quote:

Humans aren't made for living alone. They're supposed to come together, to help one another. And if we as a people can't do that, if we can't reconnect. That's what we need right now. Not to stand apart, but to come together.

I'd be surprised if this isn't on the nose commentary on social media and the information age. Where MGS2 was predictive, this will look at the aftermath.

I'd also bet the Mads scenes that bookend the trailer is the opening of the game, like the hospital in TPP.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

acksplode posted:

Won't happen, Sony wouldn't let it. It would undermine the backwards compatibility that Sony is pushing. The message is that your library will come with you to PS5, you won't have to rebuy it.

Eh, I could see a lot of games getting PS5 ports regardless of BC.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm not crazy about Kojima as a writer, but I think he's fantastic at coming up with gripping and politically relevant themes that a game can be centered upon. "Reconnecting a formerly connected nation that has broken down into isolated tribes" is a perfect idea for the current moment, and considering that production on DS started before the Brexit vote and the 2016 US presidential election (first trailer was E3 2016), it's almost loving prescient.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Eh, I could see a lot of games getting PS5 ports regardless of BC.

I could see those games getting patched to work, or maybe run better on PS5. But if Sony is saying you can play your PS4 games on PS5 without re-buying them, I don't think Sony would let publishers confuse that message by releasing PS5-only ports of PS4 games.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 30, 2019

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I can't wait to oogle over Mads Mikkelson's ghoulishness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

acksplode posted:

I'm not crazy about Kojima as a writer, but I think he's fantastic at coming up with gripping and politically relevant themes that a game can be centered upon. "Reconnecting a formerly connected nation that has broken down into isolated tribes" is a perfect idea for the current moment, and considering that production on DS started before Brexit and the 2016 US presidential election (first trailer was E3 2016), it's almost loving prescient.

Agree. Kojima partnered with Sony in July 2015 and it certainly seems he had the game sketched out in his mind already. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if some of those more current themes were grafted on or emphasized more because of current events. Either way, Kojima is a fascinating futurist.