Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

NECA 12 inch from 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Old style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXIKMW0ZcU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

CelticPredator posted:

Don’t forget Super 8, even though everyone does.

I rewatched it last year with the intent of trying hard to remember it afterwards cause I really do like it a lot but holy gently caress it's just not all that memorable... I can't tell you a drat thing about it except for the train accident.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought it was a lot of fun. The plot is stupid as poo poo and makes no sense if you think about it at all, but they nailed the monster fights and the score was fantastic. Mothra gets a lot of respect here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know these movies aren't about the plot, but it wouldn't kill them to have a good plot.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Not to take discussion away from the new film, but I just saw Shin Godzilla and I have to say it was pretty drat brilliant. Felt like the episode of Eva when they had to snipe the diamond angel by having the whole country coordinate.
And that one scene (Shin Godzilla spoilers):

God drat, that atomic breath debut scene. I literally said "holy poo poo" out loud when it sliced through all those buildings and destroyed the prime minister's helicopter. I teared up and started breathing heavy because I imagined how it must have felt for a Japanese viewer who probably just went through the Fukushima disaster a few years prior (and obviously the whole nuclear bomb history as well). It was legit despair-inducing. Great music by Shiro Sagisu, as always.

It worked so drat well because up to that point the movie was a very dry (while entertaining) examination of bureaucratic disaster relief meetings. Out of nowhere, you get that loving scene.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

This film is beautiful and wonderful. It's kind of all over the shop in many different ways, but in a ramshackle and endearing fashion. There's this singular purity to it which I admire, and it's clearly imbued with a deep, unconditional love for the character and the series. It's not perfect by any means; there are elements to it, especially of its interior philosophy and how it deals with certain human characters that feels inelegant, but the visual breadth and scope of it and the way it dramatises and characterises the monsters and the world they inhabit is second to none.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I have tickets to see this Friday in a Dolby Cinema and Sat in IMAX and I'm loving dieing here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, that was fantastic.
Before he got his nuke power up did Big G still have his 2014 design? his spines definitely looked more pronounced later and Rick mentioned he looked like he'd been juicing.
Beyond that the presence of the Oxygen Destroyer and Ghidorah's decapitated head makes me believe Destroyah is all but confirmed for Godzilla vs Kong. Tywin Lannister is gonna Frankenstein something together with black market Kaiju DNA now that they're all unleashed.

I'm gonna need the script for all the redacted lines from the credits

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 30, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Holy fuckin shiiiiit that final shot

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I would like an edit with Bradley Whitfield’s dumb as gently caress character removed entirely. Jesus Christ he ruined every single scene where he uttered a goddamn word.

Otherwise this movie was really drat good and the action was top notch. Can’t wait to see it again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm watching Godzilla 2014 again right before King of the Monsters and holy poo poo, I don't remember the film being THIS dark. Did the home release did hosed with or has this film always had this issue? The final act is almost pitch black on my projector.

Does the new film have issues with the black levels?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's the home release and a known issue. I don't know why there hasn't been a reissue yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Still waiting through the credits but gently caress.

gently caress.

RODAN YOU gently caress.

YOU loving gently caress.

HOPE THAT STINGS FOREVER, BITCH

Actual movie chat: every single shot and accompanying music of Mothra was incredible. When she clears the storm was easily the best shot of the movie. So incredibly beautiful.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm watching Godzilla 2014 again right before King of the Monsters and holy poo poo, I don't remember the film being THIS dark. Did the home release did hosed with or has this film always had this issue? The final act is almost pitch black on my projector.

I was trying to watch the scenes where the MUTOs fight Godzilla on YouTube and it is really goddamn dark. I know a part of it is that these creatures are jet black fighting at night, but everything looked so... Dim.

Also, how exactly did the MUTO life cycle work exactly? They didn't even mate, unless the whole Eskimo kisses they gave each other counted. That or j guess they're like fish or frogs where the male MUTO was going to return to the nest to jizz on the eggs. But barring nuclear warheads, in the wild I guess FEMUTO would inject them into a Godzilla like a parasitic wasp? Or would they hatch into some nymph form that would bury itself in a Godzilla and pupate that way? I'm not sure how it works.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

On King of the Monsters: Watanabe's conversation with Godzilla basically confirms the SMG idea that Brian Cranston became Godzilla, right?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, the home release did screw up the darkness levels. Hopefully they don't screw up King of the Monsters, which worked with light exceptionally well.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
The following is my review of King of the Monsters:

:krad:

Thank you for reading, don't forget to like and subscribe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pospysyl posted:

Yeah, the home release did screw up the darkness levels. Hopefully they don't screw up King of the Monsters, which worked with light exceptionally well.

I saw Godzilla last night through iTunes and I swear to god they fixed it because it wasn’t nearly as dark as I remember seeing it the first time around. I actually wanted to ask here about but I was avoiding this thread until I got a chance to see KOTM.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I rented 2014 off Amazon and it was super dark on our oled. Couldn't tell what was going on half the time.

KoM was great, lots of great action and I could care less about the plot. I did like the "tequila my lady" guy from Cabin in the Woods that got iced by the merman. Mothra ruled.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mem posted:

I rented 2014 off Amazon and it was super dark on our oled. Couldn't tell what was going on half the time.

KoM was great, lots of great action and I could care less about the plot. I did like the "tequila my lady" guy from Cabin in the Woods that got iced by the merman. Mothra ruled.

Richard Jenkins, the other tech in Cabin is in Kong Skull Island.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Holy gently caress did this movie deliver. gently caress the critics. Hit all the right notes and fired up every cylinder in my stupid reptilian brain.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
So what are the other titans besides Godzilla, Mothra, Ghidorah, and Rhodan that the trailers mention? Are they anything special? Do they get much screen time?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They make a few appearances but aren't major to the plot as a whole.
There's a giant ape mammoth thing, a fully mature MUTO, a big rear end spider that looks like a pond skeeter, and something that looks like a giant armadillo made out of rock

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MrMojok posted:

Are these comics like, good? I’m not being snarky, I’ve never seen any of them.

The James Stokoe’s Godzilla Half Century War is genuinely a good series. Only 5 issues but the art is fanfuckingtastic as shown:

He also collaborated in Godzilla in Hell, another 5 issues mini series. Each issue is a different team and the story is real good. The last issue in particular is loving great. Rage across time was ok and Cataclysm was a bit of a mess. The rest of the longer series I haven’t had a chance to read so I’m jumping on the bundle to catch up.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Vintersorg posted:

I would like an edit with Bradley Whitfield’s dumb as gently caress character removed entirely. Jesus Christ he ruined every single scene where he uttered a goddamn word.

Otherwise this movie was really drat good and the action was top notch. Can’t wait to see it again.

I cannot emptyquote this enough. The kaiju scenes owned but the dialogue was borderline unbearable.

I cried when Mothra died :negative: because she deserved so much better. She was reduced to being Godzilla's girlfriend and technically the only titan to die. Her badass kill shot had one of the biggest reactions but was a lame fakeout. I kind of wish Godzilla vaporized Rodan on the spot when he bowed in revenge.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Arcsquad12 posted:

They make a few appearances but aren't major to the plot as a whole.
There's a giant ape mammoth thing, a fully mature MUTO, a big rear end spider that looks like a pond skeeter, and something that looks like a giant armadillo made out of rock

So you're telling me that the films are slowly going to become Primal Rage?

Because I'm SO loving down.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I loved Ghidorah's heads fighting and arguing with each other.

Rodan the Fire Demon.

I seriously thought they were going to claim the underwater city was Atlantis, sunk by a Titan.

Serizawa's... Partner? Got done dirty. Felt very sudden and kinda pointless.

gently caress shaky cam. Jesus Christ I couldn't tell what was going on in most of the human action scenes.

Movie was amazing but the last point ruined a lot of parts for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I audibly gasped when they mentioned the Oxygen Destroyer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

I audibly gasped when they mentioned the Oxygen Destroyer.

I felt joy like no other from how pretty Mothra's light was

Violator
May 15, 2003

Rewatching Godzilla ‘14 in preparation for KOTM this evening and I just realized something about the ending. The nuke goes off in the San Francisco bay because they couldn’t get it open to deactivate it. The entire coast and the ocean is basically doomed, right? Nope, Godzilla absorbed all of the radioactive energy. That’s probably what revived him as he laid dying.

I hadn’t seen this posted before, but it’s like “of course!” when I saw the bomb explode and then everyone was alright the next day.

interfior
Nov 5, 2013

Saw King of the Monsters evening and decided to stop lurking for a bit and post my thoughts. The movie was felt a lot like a Hesei Series movie with a massive American movie budget so they can actually do the action they wanted.

Overall not quite as good as Godzilla 2014, but this is a bit unfair to King of the Monsters since Godzilla 2014 is actually a really great movie.

One of the things that stood out was the change in direction of the series to be more fantastical scifi, where as the the first movie was grounded very much in the real world. This has happened in literally every series of Godzilla movies, so whatever.

The fact that the human plot is getting hate, and I don't really get it since the main conflict of this movie is almost the same as Infinity War, but actually written to make sense as to why someone would take that position.

A few other thoughts:

A big theme of the 2014 movie was looking beyond yourself and your family and trying to do the greater good. The human plot explored that in some new ways and continued some of the thematic threads from the first movie, although not quite as executed.

The movie was a bit too jokey at times in the human plot. It wouldn't be too jarring (except for one character) if it wasn't following up the seriousness of the 2014 movie.

There were a lot of the references to older movies, Ghidorah as a space monster, the twin scientists on infant island, the fact Seatopia apparently existed, the American take on the Super-X, the Oxygen Destroyer (maybe even leading up to Destroyah) and probably more I am missing.

I was a little bit down on Mothra in the previews, but she looks great in motion and feels much more like the classic design. All the other classic Kaiju looked great as well. The new spider Kaiju was really cool, but wish we got to see more of the new ones.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, that was fantastic.
Before he got his nuke power up did Big G still have his 2014 design? his spines definitely looked more pronounced later and Rick mentioned he looked like he'd been juicing.
Beyond that the presence of the Oxygen Destroyer and Ghidorah's decapitated head makes me believe Destroyah is all but confirmed for Godzilla vs Kong. Tywin Lannister is gonna Frankenstein something together with black market Kaiju DNA now that they're all unleashed.

I'm gonna need the script for all the redacted lines from the credits

I was thinking about this and I'm pretty sure that the head was the one lopped off by the Oxygen Destroyer and it probably mutated the Ghidorah DNA so when they try to make a Ghidorah it'll be a Destroyah and they'll be like "it's a portmanteau of Destroyer and Ghidorah"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I was thinking about this and I'm pretty sure that the head was the one lopped off by the Oxygen Destroyer and it probably mutated the Ghidorah DNA so when they try to make a Ghidorah it'll be a Destroyah and they'll be like "it's a portmanteau of Destroyer and Ghidorah"

That was all the big G. The final shot of them before the oxygen destroyer is Godzilla with a head in his mouth.

Edit: Based on Ghidorah being a space traveling alien that wasn't affected by an "oxygen destroyer" I'm guessing it doesn't need to breathe, or doesn't care about oxygen at all? I don't remember exactly what it does.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 31, 2019

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Waffleman_ posted:

they'll be like "it's a portmanteau of Destroyer and Ghidorah"

Oh my god. Zilla.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One thing I appreciated was how often Godzilla and Ghidorah go at it. They’re the first kaiju to fight then have a second scrap in the middle and finally they’re the main fighters in the Boston brawl.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Goodbye until Sunday night, sweet sweet kaiju thread.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Movie loving rules, especially in IMAX. What an incredible viewing experience

Human plot was weak but I still liked it a tad more than G14. Felt like they could of trimmed some characters out (such as the horrid comic relief guy)

Long Live The King

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can we just ban critics who say poo poo like this. It's incredibly tiresome and such a non-criticism. "The film isn't what a monster film is supposed to be therefor bad."

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sitting through the credits right now, holy poo poo what a ride!

Definitely watch this in IMAX if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It wasn’t as good as I hoped but the first Clair de Lune trailer set some high expectations. The monster mayhem was about all you could ask for.

One thing I was a bit disappointed by was that the ending credits montage made it seem like the earth was recuperating rapidly due to the presence of all the titans. I don’t like it when there are apocalyptic disasters in movies that don’t seem to cause any major societal changes. The world economy would be utterly devastated by even half the carnage we saw and I hope that the next movie has the courage to deal with that... but given how “blockbustery” the story in this one was I don’t have much hope for that aspect.