Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

oneforthevine posted:

At work (public library) we would shelve them like so:

I Am Legend

I Heart Huckabees

Ice Cube Collection

Ichi the Killer

I’ll Be Seeing You

Spaces count as their own letter, sort of.

That would be the proper way to organize them alphabetically, but our library sorts everything by call number first and the call number is the first three letters. So I Am Legend would be "IAM" and would still come first, but then it'd be the Ice Cube Collection next because I Heart Huckabees' call number would be "IHE".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I didn’t think this would be the crowd to get uptight about KIDS. ;) I graduated in 06, for context, and saw it by chance in late 05. I didn’t even see the whole thing but ended up picking it up and having my mind blown.

As others have mentioned, it’s got a killer soundtrack, I love how it’s shot and the DIY aspect of the production. Super quotable, funny, sad, and just unlike anything else I’ve come across. I definitely showed it to my buddies and horrified them years back. It’s novel but also genuinely dope.

In conclusion:

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey, man. You got distick?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was pretty much my intro to subversive movies as a 14-ish year old. It did the trick.

I should watch Bully again.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

FilthyImp posted:

It digs to the depths of human misery, pettiness and strikes at our notion that there is justice and kindness in the world.

And then you feel additionally lovely because the protagonists of the story are supporting an imperialist machine

I don't understand the last part. I mean, it's been a while since I watched the film... But I thought that the film took a critical view to war in general. After all, when the brother speaks about his father in the navy, there's a bit of dramatic irony, since we know he's very likely killed in action.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

It was pretty much my intro to subversive movies as a 14-ish year old. It did the trick.

I should watch Bully again.

respect_nuckles.gif

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cemetry Gator posted:

I don't understand the last part. I mean, it's been a while since I watched the film... But I thought that the film took a critical view to war in general.
Maybe this was just me but there's a whole shitload of "noble suffering" heaped on us when we know the Japanese military is not only allied with loving nazis but also committing wonderful war atrocities.

But yeah, I admit it's rather a shortsighted view

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Bully was alright but then I learned that Larry Clark is probably a pedophile or something so that put me off rewatching any of his movies. It also helped contextualize why he loves to put teenagers in their underwear in his movies.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
How long does Vinegar Syndrome typically take to ship? I received my order confirmation last week but no shipping email yet. I am in Canada so that may factor into it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CopywrightMMXI posted:

How long does Vinegar Syndrome typically take to ship? I received my order confirmation last week but no shipping email yet. I am in Canada so that may factor into it.

during sales it can take them a while, they have like 1-2 people in their shipping department. I think it took like 8-10 days to ship when I ordered something for Black Friday.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

during sales it can take them a while, they have like 1-2 people in their shipping department. I think it took like 8-10 days to ship when I ordered something for Black Friday.

Yeah it took me about the same for Black Friday as well. Most of the year it's a lot quicker, Half-Way and Black Friday sales are just super high volume for them, so it takes longer.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Thanks for the replies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Website says shipping started yesterday, the annual subscribers first then everyone else, goal is all shipped by June 7

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

Website says shipping started yesterday, the annual subscribers first then everyone else, goal is all shipped by June 7

As an annual subscriber I can confirm I got a tracking number on Tuesday via USPS, but on sales like this it sometimes takes a few days before they actually get it out the door. The USPS has been better about tracking lately, but there's still a 65% chance I'll get no updates until it's out for delivery.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Severin announced that Viy is the surprise film that will go on sale tomorrow. I don't know anything about it but it looks cool and some people seem very excited about it.

https://twitter.com/SeverinFilms/status/1134136727843627008?s=20

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Kids, like Triumph of the Will, is a weird fuckin movie to want to own

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Severin announced that Viy is the surprise film that will go on sale tomorrow. I don't know anything about it but it looks cool and some people seem very excited about it.

https://twitter.com/SeverinFilms/status/1134136727843627008?s=20

Although my wallet is nearly exsanguinated from the VS sale, anything I should put on my short list for the Severin sale tomorrow?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Although my wallet is nearly exsanguinated from the VS sale, anything I should put on my short list for the Severin sale tomorrow?

I highly recommend The Changeling, it's one of the best haunted house movies ever in my opinion. Burial Ground is bizarre as hell and worth checking out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't know anything about it but it looks cool

Skim the last ten minutes of the movie and try not to instantly order it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyg0WUsY9HI&t=3853s

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I don't understand the last part. I mean, it's been a while since I watched the film... But I thought that the film took a critical view to war in general. After all, when the brother speaks about his father in the navy, there's a bit of dramatic irony, since we know he's very likely killed in action.

True, but there's never any doubt that the brother idolises his father above all. To him, the image of the stout navy admiral represents a true hero, fighting on behalf of Japan against evil foreign forces. The film never dwells on it, but it's absolutely written from the perspective of characters who were brought up on and consequently internalised a facist mindset. Had he been born ten years earlier, the brother would quite happily have marched off into war.

I don't think this detracts from the emotional impact of the story, quite the opposite. Like Germany Year Zero, Grave of the Fireflies makes us keenly aware of the fact that while the defeat of facism was a net benefit on a societal level, its downfall still caused untold destruction among innocent people. Even a justifiable war comes with a heavy price.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

drat that looks pretty awesome. Kinda reminds me of a recent movie on Netflix, Errementari: The Blacksmith and The Devil.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Iron Crowned posted:

I’m definitely getting the Changeling and Devil’s Rain. BMX Bandits is an easy recommend as well.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Teenage Fansub posted:

sold!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Liar Lyre posted:

I’m definitely getting the Changeling and Devil’s Rain. BMX Bandits is an easy recommend as well.

Yeah, I definitely have BMX Bandits on the list

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
:siren::siren::siren:HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIT:siren::siren::siren:

https://news.avclub.com/denise-richards-stars-in-this-absurd-trailer-for-tammy-1835131872

quote:

The 35mm screening goes down on June 17 at the Music Box Theatre, and it precedes a 4K restoration of the movie that’s being prepped for release later this year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Praises be to that one dude who manifested this through sheer desire like a tulpa made from hopeful posts during every Vinegar Syndrome sale.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Praises be to that one dude who manifested this through sheer desire like a tulpa made from hopeful posts during every Vinegar Syndrome sale.

YES, WHO IS THAT ONE POSTER WHO NEVER STOPS TALKING ABOUT THIS?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CPL593H posted:

I dunno

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Now you can funnel all that leftover psychic energy into bringing forth the 4K restoration of The Dark Backward that I desperately need.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

piiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssss

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

<looks thoughtfully at your face for ten seconds>

Egbert Souse?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

The Stunt Man and Turkey Shoot are two genuinely-good films.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Egbert Souse?

There’s actually talk of BFI doing that particular title, but I doubt any time soon.

Before getting on me over it, I’ve been trying to wishful thinking a complete Kurosawa box from Criterion. You can thank me later when they announce it this summer.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’m still waiting for that Showa era Godzilla boxset from Criterion. There’s a new movie out and it’s the 65th anniversary of the original. It’s perfect time for a boxset!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Liar Lyre posted:

I’m still waiting for that Showa era Godzilla boxset from Criterion. There’s a new movie out and it’s the 65th anniversary of the original. It’s perfect time for a boxset!

I wonder if they’re waiting to pick up the straggler movies since the original announcement wasn’t the entire Showa era.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Shout! Factory finally revealed full specs for their special edition of This Island Earth coming on July 9:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25189

• NEW 4K scan of the inter-positive – Two aspect ratios: 1.85:1 and 1.37:1
• NEW The Original Perspecta Stereophonic Sound restored by 3-D Film Archive
• NEW Audio Commentary with author and Academy Award winning visual effects artist Robert Skotak
• NEW Audio Interview with film historian David Schecter on the music of THIS ISLAND EARTH
• NEW Alien Ideas - an interview with filmmaker Luigi Cozzi (Starcrash)
• NEW Text-based gallery Facts about Perspecta Stereophonic Sound by Bob Furmanek
• THIS ISLAND EARTH - Two and A Half Years in the Making: The Extended Documentary – a look at the making of THIS ISLAND EARTH
• WAR OF THE PLANETS: 1958 Castle Films release for the home market including both the 50-foot silent Headline edition and the 200-foot sound Complete edition.
• Trailers from Hell – This Island Earth with commentary by filmmaker Joe Dante
• Theatrical Trailer
• Still Galleries – poster and lobby cards, publicity stills and behind-the-scenes photos

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Egbert Souse posted:

Shout! Factory finally revealed full specs for their special edition of This Island Earth coming on July 9:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25189

• NEW 4K scan of the inter-positive – Two aspect ratios: 1.85:1 and 1.37:1
• NEW The Original Perspecta Stereophonic Sound restored by 3-D Film Archive
• NEW Audio Commentary with author and Academy Award winning visual effects artist Robert Skotak
• NEW Audio Interview with film historian David Schecter on the music of THIS ISLAND EARTH
• NEW Alien Ideas - an interview with filmmaker Luigi Cozzi (Starcrash)
• NEW Text-based gallery Facts about Perspecta Stereophonic Sound by Bob Furmanek
• THIS ISLAND EARTH - Two and A Half Years in the Making: The Extended Documentary – a look at the making of THIS ISLAND EARTH
• WAR OF THE PLANETS: 1958 Castle Films release for the home market including both the 50-foot silent Headline edition and the 200-foot sound Complete edition.
• Trailers from Hell – This Island Earth with commentary by filmmaker Joe Dante
• Theatrical Trailer
• Still Galleries – poster and lobby cards, publicity stills and behind-the-scenes photos

No MST3K commentary track = no purchase.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Samuel Clemens posted:

True, but there's never any doubt that the brother idolises his father above all. To him, the image of the stout navy admiral represents a true hero, fighting on behalf of Japan against evil foreign forces. The film never dwells on it, but it's absolutely written from the perspective of characters who were brought up on and consequently internalised a facist mindset. Had he been born ten years earlier, the brother would quite happily have marched off into war.

I don't think this detracts from the emotional impact of the story, quite the opposite. Like Germany Year Zero, Grave of the Fireflies makes us keenly aware of the fact that while the defeat of facism was a net benefit on a societal level, its downfall still caused untold destruction among innocent people. Even a justifiable war comes with a heavy price.

That's part of the tragedy of the film, though. His father is portrayed to us through this boy's vision, and he is this heroic figure. But he's a hero who never comes, and is unable to help his children, most likely because he's dead too.

God drat it, you're going to make me watch this film again so I can better discuss it. Aren't you?

Also, what you just said reminded me of Patlabor 2: the Movie. One of the themes in the film is the idea of an unjustified peace. And one of the characters basically says it's better thana justified war.

I totally recommend watching it. It's made by the same guy who did Ghost in the Shell.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

King Vidiot posted:

The Stunt Man and Turkey Shoot are two genuinely-good films.

i mean

i enjoy the hell out of turkey shoot, it's an ozploitation classic and it's great fun

i wouldn't classify it as "genuinely-good"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

Okay I think I have to buy it just for this. Always wondered what those edited-down home theater things were like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Now you can funnel all that leftover psychic energy into bringing forth the 4K restoration of The Dark Backward that I desperately need.

You've brought yourself back to life to me!

Egbert Souse?

You're dead to me.