Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Do people really care that much about raytracing?

I'm not sure it's a big hype generator when 95% of the market doesn't know what it is.

The people who are ready interviews with Mark Cerny and talking about PS5 at least 2 years before it ships probably know and care about raytracing. This is the pre-hype hype you do to start seeding awareness in the core community. Like when Sony bullshitted to gaming magazines about how shipping PS2 internationally would be difficult because export controls regulate the imports of hyper-advanced supercomputers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/tentacle_blue/status/1134087126159679489?s=21

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Steve2911 posted:

:negative:

Hopefully we'll at least get a poo poo load of Troy Baker.

America is a big place. I expect you'll become quite familiar with that baby as you plan your next move.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Kojima : let's give Mega64 the entire advertising budget for this game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

I hope you get to research upgrades for your Sherpa backpack.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Do people really care that much about raytracing?

I'm not sure it's a big hype generator when 95% of the market doesn't know what it is.

People will care, because it's a substantial improvement and the holy Grail of game tech after making games 3d. Right now games spend a lot of resources on trickery to mimick realistic lighting. It's the difference between a video game and, say, CGI in The Avengers or a Pixar film.

Here's raytracing in the unreal engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ue35ago3Y

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 30, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Look Sir Droids posted:

I hope you get to research upgrades for your Sherpa backpack.

I assume you will, that's probably what those little hovering trailers were.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

acksplode posted:

It's worth pointing out that a lot of MGSV's development was spent on building out Fox Engine.

It should also be pointed out the Konami, in their infinite wisdom, decided that it should play on the loving Xbox360 (a 10 year old console at the time of MGSVs release), which crippled a lot of what the dev team wanted to do.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lexorin posted:

It should also be pointed out the Konami, in their infinite wisdom, decided that it should play on the loving Xbox360 (a 10 year old console at the time of MGSVs release), which crippled a lot of what the dev team wanted to do.

Very good point, MGSV shipped simultaneously on PC and 4 consoles spanning 2 generations. DS just targets PS4, which is a major reduction in scope.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
MGS V was well into development and announced a year before the next-gen consoles were announced. You can't blame Konami for Kojima's complete inability to complete a project on schedule. Peace Walker came out in 2010, five and a half years later his next game wasn't done.

"Fox engine took a long time to build" is also an absurd cop-out, because again that was a Kojima decision, and he either should have got it done faster or gone third-party from the beginning.

Konami is plenty lovely but the apologism for Kojima is ridiculous sometimes.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
yeah but we like Kojima

acksplode
May 17, 2004

K8.0 posted:

MGS V was well into development and announced a year before the next-gen consoles were announced. You can't blame Konami for Kojima's complete inability to complete a project on schedule. Peace Walker came out in 2010, five and a half years later his next game wasn't done.

"Fox engine took a long time to build" is also an absurd cop-out, because again that was a Kojima decision, and he either should have got it done faster or gone third-party from the beginning.

Konami is plenty lovely but the apologism for Kojima is ridiculous sometimes.

I'm not apologizing for anyone, Kojima of course shares responsibility for how MGSV stumbled. But MGSV and DS are obviously different projects with very different development stories, it's silly to expect DS to have MGSV's difficulties.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
I just preordered a life size baby in a jar. I'm loving amped.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Fair point, but they had to have known the next gen consoles were right around the corner and they had to have known that the dev cycle was going to be long what with making a new engine and all. A minimum of 4 years dev time? One for the engine at best and 3 for the game itself? So given that knowledge, why would you force your game to be made for machines that you KNOW are going to be well (at least 2 years) out of date by the time you release?

I don't know poo poo about dev cycles, so take those numbers as the mutterings of an idiot. But I do agree that Kojima hosed up just as well as Konami did. The whole thing was a poo poo show really.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Skeletron posted:

yeah, same. i think its gonna be interesting at the very least. i kinda want to see what kojima can do when he has no limits.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I think it was after the first trailer dropped I remarked that Death Stranding is gonna be Kojima shedding MGS canon like Goku removing weighted clothing, and I still feel that way

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Skeletron posted:

Thread title.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

acksplode posted:

Like when Sony bullshitted to gaming magazines about how shipping PS2 internationally would be difficult because export controls regulate the imports of hyper-advanced supercomputers.

and boy did that line stick

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i kinda want to see what kojima can do when he has no limits.

that's what makes the release date so remarkable to me

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
remember when playstation 2 was so advanced Saddam was using them to create guided missiles? This was an actual thing in the news in 2000.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Presumably MGSV was also delayed when they had to spin Ground Zeroes off into it's own marketable game

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Donovan Trip posted:

remember when playstation 2 was so advanced Saddam was using them to create guided missiles? This was an actual thing in the news in 2000.

I think the US did make a super computer out of PS3s, because their idiotic blast core whatever happened to be a cheaper substitute for whatever some kid of super computer needed

edit: https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

MGSV's gameplay coupled with a hub-style mission system where you could travel to a few different, smaller, really well-crafted environments instead of a giant sandbox that you just end up flying around in a chopper anyway would have been basically a perfect game. Ground Zeroes actually showed off just how well a semi-open design could work if the area was still small enough to get that level of attention, and I honestly don't remember any bases in V that had as much verticality / as many different routes in and out.

It's kinda funny that as the series' cutscenes get more "cinematic" the gameplay becomes less so. V still has, for my money, maybe the best actual gameplay ever in terms of just how interactive everything is and good / intuitive the controls feel, but I do miss the very carefully crafted camera angles that MGS1 and 2 played with.

Still, there were plenty of good setpieces in V (the intro sequence, the creepy rear end field hospital, the Metal Gear battle, the quarantine, etc.) and even though the narrative was uneven and pretty messy, it still had more interesting things to say than 99% of games do.

acksplode posted:

I think it was after the first trailer dropped I remarked that Death Stranding is gonna be Kojima shedding MGS canon like Goku removing weighted clothing, and I still feel that way

This is pretty much how I'm feeling too.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 30, 2019

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
raytracing has been the next big thing for 30 years and will continue to be until someone figures out the locality problem.

amd gpus have no specific raytracing hardware so unless sony's adding bespoke pieces to the ps5 gpu it will be a software implementation. which unfortunately will probably be more of a novelty. we'll be mostly rasterization for a while yet.

death stranding: i expect the game to be very uneven and insane. i'm sure there will be awesomely fun bits mixed with a ton of WTF.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

WaltherFeng posted:

Of course Diehardman is no other than motherfucking Big Boss.

I'm still bummed out that of all the Kojima theories that have popped up over the years the "Kojima really grew to resent David Hayter becoming the face of his franchise" claim has only seemingly become more and more true over time.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Skeletron posted:

Where did you order yours? I've looked at Best Buy/Game Stop/Amazon but they all said unavailable. Did I miss out?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there anywhere I can order the CE that won't charge me the full price until release?

withoutclass posted:

Where did you order yours? I've looked at Best Buy/Game Stop/Amazon but they all said unavailable. Did I miss out?

Still available at Best Buy. I wouldn't worry too much I'd imagine it'll pop back up sooner or later.

Looks like you have to pay BB $200 right away? Sucks.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Modest Mao posted:

I think the US did make a super computer out of PS3s, because their idiotic blast core whatever happened to be a cheaper substitute for whatever some kid of super computer needed

edit: https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html

PS3's CPU was somewhat novel at the time for having a large number of relatively slow cores, which is useful for work that can be executed in parallel. (The trend up until the early 2000's was increasingly faster single-core CPUs.) Modern supercomputers are basically large quantities of commodity servers networked together, which means they're intended for work that's easy to parallelize among many CPUs. So a highly parallel CPU plus GPU (which is essentially another slow but highly parallel CPU), and the cheap price due to economies of scale, and Linux support, is what made PS3 attractive for building a supercomputer on a budget for a brief moment in computing history.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

withoutclass posted:

Got my fetus incubator on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SFZWVYK

It's been popping in and out of stock all day, I'd just keep an eye on it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Skeletron posted:

Got my fetus incubator on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SFZWVYK

It's been popping in and out of stock all day, I'd just keep an eye on it.

Amazon is my last resort I think. I'd like to take the day off so I can play all day and my UPS dude is usually pretty late in the afternoon. Looks like it's in stock there now so I'll need to keep checking around.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gently caress pre ordering online. Why the hell can I just walk into a store and drop $5 to reserve something but online I have to drop the $200 outright? Absolute bullshit.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

veni veni veni posted:

gently caress pre ordering online. Why the hell can I just walk into a store and drop $5 to reserve something but online I have to drop the $200 outright? Absolute bullshit.

For those expensive collectors editions, at least at Gamestop, I think they make you plunk down 50 bucks upfront if you want to reserve it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gonz posted:

For those expensive collectors editions, at least at Gamestop, I think they make you plunk down 50 bucks upfront if you want to reserve it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Such a cool industry. Let me just throw 200 dollars into the ether for the next 6 months for the privilege of buying something.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
All my local game stops ended up being sold out but I was able to do a Best Buy in store pickup on the CE. Can't wait to plunk that baby fetus on my desk at work.

Edit: They don't charge you until your order is ready, at least with BB.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 31, 2019

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

AFAIK Amazon doesn't charge for pre-orders until the fetus ships.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm still bummed out that of all the Kojima theories that have popped up over the years the "Kojima really grew to resent David Hayter becoming the face of his franchise" claim has only seemingly become more and more true over time.

He’s talking about the Japanese VA.

I’m not sure who is more mad at who between Hayter and Kojima.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

it really doesn’t help that mgsv had kiefer sutherland doing... that. Like I get that you can rationalize it through the story stuff but man. Peacewalker is such a good contrast showing how Boss and Miller going back and forth can work so well and be fun

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Skeletron posted:

Yeah I called to make sure of this and the first guy I talked to had no idea what the hell he was talking about, so I called back and this is indeed the case. baby secured lol.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Skeletron posted:

This has gotta be the new thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
when die hardman dies hard does he get promoted to deadman?