Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interfior
Nov 5, 2013

Also I am very looking forward to seeing an edit of the scene where Serizawa wakes up Godzilla set to this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1aZYf48aQQ, I saw Godzilla 1984 recently and it was all I could think about when he said goodbye old friend.

Jimbot posted:

Can we just ban critics who say poo poo like this. It's incredibly tiresome and such a non-criticism. "The film isn't what a monster film is supposed to be therefor bad."

That it is not at all close to what I would describe the movie as. A lot of reviews seem to describe things like it being dark, or murky that I did not feel at all while watching it. Everything seemed extremely clear, and were some of the better CGI fights I have seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

interfior posted:

the fact Seatopia apparently existed

I thought the same thing and immediately started trying to see if Megalon was referenced in the wall sculptures

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

this movie was a trash fire

the story was garbage, almost every scene was just expository dialogue explaining what was happening to the audience, and worst of all the giant monster fights were genuinely bad, short, and lacked any impact or spirit

I'm a huge godzilla fan and this movie was just terrible. my expectations weren't particularly high, I'm not some godzilla purist or anything, I just wanted a dumb movie where monsters fight and it looks cool

this was rotten. it has no redeeming qualities beyond the trailer

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Loved it even in my fake IMAX. I wish they wouldn't slap their logo on just any random large screen.

Rodan's entrance was best at actually showing how devastating it is just that a kaiju exists. I could watch an entire movie of him just flying around wrecking poo poo.

Mothra contributed nothing to the plot and barely had any screentime. I knew I was supposed to be sad when she got vaporized but... not going to lie I didn't care.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

First, my eight year old's review:

"It was awesome. It was way way way better than Endgame and it's my new favorite movie ever in place of Destroy All Monsters."

I'll start with what I liked. The titans are incredibly well done. Ghidorah's heads bickering when they first emerged was great. Then looking at each other and agreeing to go ahead and fry all the soldiers. Nice WTF design on the woolly gorilladon. And SuperMUTO! The classic music queues were great.

The negative. I am not some hoity-toity, over-analyzing person, I was fully primed for and expecting a fantastic time. I said that if the movie was half as good as the trailers, it would be really good. I'd say it's no more than half as good. Farmiga's motivation would have been believable if there was any sign she was otherwise disturbed. Instead, it appears her obviously ridiculous plan was arrived at rationally. Why not just have her irrationally blame Godzilla for her son's death and, knowing all the titan characteristics, decide to let Ghidorah loose for revenge. Then you could have the unexpected consequence be Ghidorah calling out the other titans. Instead we get the stupid rear end ORCA. That would have made her far more redeemable instead of being someone who deserved worse than what she got for being a loving idiot. As an aside, in addition to being just a great actress all around, Vera Farmiga plays horrible people really well. Other issues. The hollow Earth tunnels? Jesus Christ what a stupid device to hand-wave my next complaint. Despite enormous distances between events, the movie feels like it all occurs in a day or two, there is nothing to make it feel like any meaningful amount of time has passed. It would have been easy to take breaks in between fights and build tension via the titans making their way to the cities. Would have been a good time for character development too. Game of Thrones teleportation to the nth degree. Then there was this:

interfior posted:

One of the things that stood out was the change in direction of the series to be more fantastical scifi, where as the the first movie was grounded very much in the real world.

Oh my god yes. The first movie more or less took the notion of a 300 ft. monster fighting two other monsters seriously. I know that's been a criticism of it, but I thought it was great. But here we get a cartoon. The non-stop techno-exposition was straight out of the Japanese kaiju movies. It was like ten Star Trek TNG episodes worth of, "Wait, if we realign the flipper-flapper and reverse the polarity, it might just..." Did I miss the reason why Serizawa couldn't have just set a timer on the nuke and returned to the sub?"

I didn't find the quips as frequent and godawful as others did, certainly nowhere close to as obnoxious as in every Roland Emmerich movie.

Lastly, when I saw 2014, the theater was half full but the crowd clapped and cheered twice. Tonight I was in a sold out theater with tons of grown men and women wearing Godzilla shirts and there was not a peep. Hell, I was reacting more than the crowd was during the fights.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Did I miss the reason why Serizawa couldn't have just set a timer on the nuke and returned to the sub?

The radiation inside the cave was enough to destroy the drones completely, he was dead the moment he got out of the sub.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

interfior posted:

That it is not at all close to what I would describe the movie as. A lot of reviews seem to describe things like it being dark, or murky that I did not feel at all while watching it. Everything seemed extremely clear, and were some of the better CGI fights I have seen.

Yeah, I had no issues with darkness. The fights were shot well, I never lost track of where I was in space.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I, Butthole posted:

The radiation inside the cave was enough to destroy the drones completely, he was dead the moment he got out of the sub.

Thanks.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I really hate how every disaster movie feels the need to reuinite/redeem a failed marriage. It's not interesting at all, especially in this case where the man wants to kill all monsters and the wife wants to kill all humans. They're worse than the Conways. How am I supposed to care that they're bonding over finding their daughter, when one of them enacted genocide a few scenes earlier then went "WHOOPS! I went slightly too far!" and decided to be a good guy.

The fights were cool though. I wish I hadn't seen it in IMAX because they did more shaky cam than I expected compared to 2014, and it was kinda dizzying on such a big screen.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Verisimilidude posted:

this movie was a trash fire

the story was garbage, almost every scene was just expository dialogue explaining what was happening to the audience, and worst of all the giant monster fights were genuinely bad, short, and lacked any impact or spirit

I'm a huge godzilla fan and this movie was just terrible. my expectations weren't particularly high, I'm not some godzilla purist or anything, I just wanted a dumb movie where monsters fight and it looks cool

this was rotten. it has no redeeming qualities beyond the trailer

I won't go quite this far but I did not like it very much either. There were some cool shots in this movie and most of them were in the trailer. It feels like the other 80 percent of the movie takes place in the control rooms of various ships and subs with people even less interesting than Godzilla '14.

I did like the original Godzilla theme and some of the other Kaiju, sorry, Titans, particularly the big mammoth guy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cooling down a bit from my post-watch excitement, I still liked it a fair bit, but I do see where people are coming from with their complaints. The script was a bit sloppy and like half of the lines people were saying seemed explicitly written to be cut into trailers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd put obnoxious quippy guy on the same level as Brent Spiner in Independence Day. I didn't hate him or like him but he doesn't ruin the movie.

Also is Zhang Zyi part of the same group of Immortals as Paul Rudd and Keanu Reeves? She hasn't aged a day in nearly twenty years.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just got back and, while I liked it it has issues:

1. I thought Godzilla 14 had too much human stuff, but this one ups that by a lot. Look Mr. Screenwriter/Mr. Director, I want to see these giant rear end motherfuckers fight, PLEASE stop cutting every minute to the main characters running around, at control consoles or spoonfeeding us god drat exposition. You see some action happening? Prepare yourself because in a minute or two you're going to have a minute of stupid person poo poo before you get back to the fight.

2. The story is both interesting, and incredibly garbage. The personal motivations of the lead characters are dumb as gently caress and one of them is the dumbest piece of poo poo in cinema history, I never cared for the family in the first film but this makes me enjoy how simple their fight is and the journey they take. I didn't give a single gently caress about the main family in this. On the flip side, when I said this I was joking:

s.i.r.e. posted:

So you're telling me that the films are slowly going to become Primal Rage?

But the movie is almost verbatim the lore in Primal Rage, except not post-apocalypse. And I love it because it works well.

3. Rodan's face looks waaaay too similar to the Turkey from Thankskilling and it was distracting for me; I'm sure no one else will have this issue because no one has watched Thankskilling:

Also, don't bother seeing this in 3D. It adds nothing and isn't that well done.

All that said, are any of the other monsters things from the old films, or are they all original? And does the post-credits scene with Ghidorah's head hint at another monster? Or is it just going to be resurrected Ghidorah?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I will say, the "twist" that Emma was working with the terrorists willingly would have worked more if they hadn't presented her as the sole bad guy in the marketing.

s.i.r.e. posted:

All that said, are any of the other monsters things from the old films, or are they all original? And does the post-credits scene with Ghidorah's head hint at another monster? Or is it just going to be resurrected Ghidorah?

The other monsters were all original aside from the mature MUTO, and the prevailing theory seems to be that the head combined with the presence of the Oxygen Destroyer points to Destroyah

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm watching Godzilla 2014 again right before King of the Monsters and holy poo poo, I don't remember the film being THIS dark. Did the home release did hosed with or has this film always had this issue? The final act is almost pitch black on my projector.

Does the new film have issues with the black levels?

I can't be sure since I saw the movie at a drive-in, but I'm conflicted. For much of the movie there's a lot of deliberately hiding things in the frame and only revealing them when someone shines a light on them, so I feel like on some level the film was deliberately lit/graded dark. There is one scene in particular, the whole train/bridge sequence, which I think does come off as unnecessarily murky and so that may have been a transfer issue, but for example most of the San Francisco battle is perfectly legible with only a few questionable shots near the end.

It's nowhere near what happened to, say, Game of Thrones S8E3 and that was entirely intentional.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Leaving my thoughts here. These are not spoiler-related, just my honest opinion of the movie as a whole and where I'm feeling it as a Godzilla film. I'll get into more spoiler-y stuff later after I sit on it more

Now I will say, this was NOT a perfect movie.

I don't think it was as good a Movie as 2014 and it wasn't as balanced as Skull Island

There are issues I have with the human cast (notably, three characters) but they're largely inconsequential

There are two major issues I have with the movie, that kind of come as a one two punch, but they also have a lot of justifications for them and points that work in their favor. Just, as a kaiju fan, they make me stop and go "Now wait a second"
Also
ALL THAT SAID
This was a very good movie
And I love it a lot
It's a lot more fun than 2014 was and it's an incredible ride from start to finish
With a LOT of promise for the future

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I enjoyed this a lot.

The metaplot of this franchise is interesting. It's basically treating the return of Kaiju Titans as a realistically-apocalyptic world-changing phenomenon with all the terror and death and destruction that entails...and yet the world that's being set up here is a...I dunno how else to say it but an even more comforting, kid-friendly version of a thing that's already kinda for kids? The ultimate goal here -- and what I assume is going to be the overall status quo of this narrative -- is coexistence between humans and big loving monsters, which isn't really a big theme I remember from the older films. It's outright stated (and confirmed in the credits) that the very presence of the Titans brings life energy and regrowth to the planet, which definitely isn't something I remember from the old films. This isn't doomsday at all. This isn't the planet fighting back at people like the original Kaiju films, or a narrative that highlights how human ugliness will destroy beautiful things like the old American pulp monsters. This is ancient pagan gods bringing balance back to the world.

It's definitely a very post-post-modern 21st Century narrative attitude of wanting to have it both ways, like yup here are giant monsters going on rampages in the real world.......buuuuuuuut hey there's lotsa flowers when they're done! Here's Godzilla the unstoppable killing machine...buuuut he's pretty much our friend now kinda sorta.

I did also like the metaversal narrative where Zhang Ziyi's character (who is 100% a Shobijin, btw) is always talking about the ancient and mythic histories from ages before memory...but what she's really talking about, of course, are the old films, the Showa and Heisei and Millenium films where Godzilla and Rodan and Mothra and Ghidorah have all done this song and dance before. That's the ancient history. That's the ancient world that they have stepped out from, and into this one. Zhang's role in this film isn't to talk about myths per se, but to peer outside of this film universe into a differnt bygone film era, where all this has happened before and will happen again, and relate her findings to all to the denizens of this story.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
It's starting seem like a lot of those critic reviews weren't all that wrong.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

TowerofOil posted:

It's starting seem like a lot of those critic reviews weren't all that wrong.

One thing that some have got wrong is that the movie is just wall to wall monster fights. It's not. There's a video on Youtube that shows every scene with the MUTOS and Godzilla in 2014 and it's like ten minutes or something. Although there's more than ten minutes total screen time counting non-fight scenes, I'm pretty drat sure that if you put a stopwatch to just the fights in KoM, it wouldn't be ten minutes. The first fight takes a good while to get to.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bradley Whitford needed to shut the gently caress Up and the dialogue in this movie is almost nothing but exposition but I liked it overall.

In summary, my thoughts here have already been expressed by others rendering this post pointless.

Thank you

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Sounds like it's a Godzilla movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I got to see this on a massive screen and really the spectacle of the whole thing was well worth it. The fights were tremendous, all the little bits of Godzilla lore were really fun

but

I still think 14 is better. There are some great shots in KotM, but they're very well framed stills/images, whereas I think the camera motion is better in 14. 14 also does scale much, much, much better (the defining feature of that movie, IMO) because it comes at it from a human perspective, whereas Godzilla was very much the Big Hero of KotM instead of a giant unknowable force of nature.

edit1a: also after Vera Farmiga gave her big speech over the comms device revealing her real role in everything and outing her as an eco-terrorist, my friend turned to me and said "wait I thought she was supposed to be the bad guy. It's very hard to take "eco-terrorist" as a villain seriously in a world where we could very well be less than 2 decades away from natural disaster without a giant monster bearing down on us.

edit1b: It was absolutely hilarious how Kyle Chandler immediately took command in whatever room he was in, everyone listened to him, and everything always worked. He's like a Magical White Dad Who Knows Everything, no matter how many scientists, government officials, military operatives, or whatever are in the room, Kyle Chandler knows what to do. (this is in complete opposition to '14, where at no point to any human characters do anything that seems out of sorts with what they should know. ATJ sorta gets swept up in the whole thing and follows orders, and the one time he actually uses his knowledge it's his knowledge of disarming bombs in the context of disarming bombs, not "he knows animal sounds" which apparently means he knows exactly how Godzilla is gonna act and also how to save loving helicopters and poo poo.

edit2: the scene with Serizawa sacrificing himself doing an at-home checkup on Godzilla was the only moment that really reached '14 levels of opera and massiveness. They were beautiful, and Serizawa's last moments were awesome.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 31, 2019

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I asked a few pages ago but never got an answer.

Is this the true Pacific Rim sequel I wanted?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pacific Rim was a once in a lifetime film.

This is a very good Godzilla movie.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
Just got back. Loved it. The plot is dumb, but it's also unapologetically haywire and silly, which pretty much puts it in line with almost the entirety of the series. To me, a weird human plot that drags on just long enough to be annoying is part of the Godzilla package. Even the specific plot devices and macguffins used feel loyal to the Japanese films. Tonally, I think this movie did a good job of bridging the divide between G14 and Skull Island.

As far as the stuff we're all here for - the monsters - the big four were executed perfectly. Rodan was like a whirling acrobat of carnage. Mothra is loveable from the moment she appears. Ghidorah was suitably apocalyptic, and I loved the serpentine way he moved - especially the scene when Godzilla’s down and out and the camera follows Ghidorah’s heads as he wraps around him like a snake. There was something so creepily intimate and sinister about it.. And of course, you can't help but root for Godzilla, although by the time he goes into burning demon mode I almost got the vibe he’d usurped Ghidorah’s role as the villain.

As far as post-credits - I interpret it as a tease for either Mecha-Ghidorah, or some sort of take on Destroyah using Ghidorah as the building material. Kong vs Godzilla is obviously going to be the two titular monsters squaring off before joining up to tag-team the real threat.

Red Pyramid fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 31, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Skull Island is just the official name for Monster Island now, isn't it.

DickStatkus
Oct 25, 2006

What I like most about this movie is that now a Japanese person can watch a movie with horrible wooden actors give long expository dialogue to pad out the time between monsters fighting the same way I experienced it growing up; with bad dubs or subtitles. It really is a cultural exchange now. Considering the Japanese hot take in ‘Gojira’ that nuclear weapons are bad, I’m curious to see their reaction to the new American take in “King of the Monsters’ that nuclear weapons are in fact good and necessary for a sustainable future.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Violator posted:

The nuke goes off in the San Francisco bay because they couldn’t get it open to deactivate it. The entire coast and the ocean is basically doomed, right?

No. It wouldn't be good but it wouldn't be apocalyptic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

it's really funny how in 5 years MONARCH goes from a bunch of weird scientists in back-rooms studying myths across the world to Basically SHIELD

Violator
May 15, 2003

This movie is basically a dumbed down BvS combined with the family dynamics of Jurassic Park 3. The intro is a destructive scene from the previous movie seen from a new perspective that leads one of the heros to misguidingly become a villain until they realize the error of their ways. The end takes place when one of the creatures has unstoppable energy blasts radiating out every time they are attacked, with a nuke blast only making them stronger. Etc etc.

My biggest worry was that the monster scenes would all take place at night with atmospheric effects and shaky cam. That’s exactly what this movie is. I don’t care if there’s a storyline reason for King G to bring a hurricane with him. It feels like this movie learned nothing from G14 or Skull Island. Having watched both today before this movie, Skull Island in particular looks leagues better with clearer wide shots of the monsters and much better camera work.

And the human story is just as dumb as critics are saying. I didn’t think it would bother me but the first two movies have much stronger human stories.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

it's really funny how in 5 years MONARCH goes from a bunch of weird scientists in back-rooms studying myths across the world to Basically SHIELD

Yeah, the US government opening up the purse-strings to fund an appropriately serious response to a global and existential threat of our own making is probably the wackiest part of the already wacky plot. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Red Pyramid posted:

Yeah, the US government opening up the purse-strings to fund an appropriately serious response to a global and existential threat of our own making is probably the wackiest part of the already wacky plot. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

on the other hand, the united states spending 5 years and billions of dollars on something only to get impatient and say "man why can't we just have the military kill these things" is pretty believable.

In case it isn't obvious, i've put the first one on to rewatch since I didn't get a chance before I went to see KotM, but another thing is how much better the US military looks in '14. Like, the only thing the US Military (and not the weird MONARCH paramilitary unit featuring all the movie's black people) did in KotM was say "man gently caress why can't we just kill Godzilla", while the Navy admiral in '14 is willing to listen to people and just generally give and follow orders and do what a military probably should do in the event of a giant monster attack.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It's 2AM and I just now ate dinner and really this entire excursion was supremely ill-advised but it was all loving worth it, that movie owned.

It's hard to compare it directly to 2014 for me because they're honestly radically different in tone. 2014 was much, much more reverent with regards to Big G and the MUTOs, and while Rodan, Ghidorah, and especially Mothra all have their beauty shots painting them physical gods, there's a lot less focus on the awe in KotM and much more focus on the action and aftermath of the big guys moving around. The fight scenes were great (though one of the friends I saw it with claimed he had difficulty following stuff and he's normally pretty eagle-eyed about action scenes in movies, so that complaint may not just be on the internet critics being lovely) and I loved the fact that it was basically 2 hours of fanservice. I also appreciate that it was my home town getting leveled for once instead of New York.

Also I'm gonna turn that final shot into a wall scroll immediately.

WRT to the ending/Kong speculation Based on the framing of the last five minutes plus G's reaction after Serizawa loving explodes and he surfaces near the sub, it would not at all surprise me that the new King is more than a little done with humanity's bullshit. I could see him being the opposite of benevolent as a means of forcing the Kong fight, rather than Kong just decides to come gently caress Godzilla up one day. Also he's gonna need a hell of an upgrade, because seriously.

50/50 on Mecha Ghidorah or Destroyah, I say. If it is Mecha Ghidorah, I hope Charles Dance pilots it :allears:

Totally gonna go see it again with another group in a couple days.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
The only way to possibly avoid clumsy exposition dumps when you have to introduce a family plus 3 new monsters and their set-ups is to have like an hour of screen time before cool monster poo poo happens. So saying gently caress it and going full old school rubber suit sensibility is way more fun. It felt like a Japanese Godzilla movie, for better and for worse. I thought I was in for a slog, but the moment King Ghidorah showed up they didn't let off the gas and I had a blast.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Spoke Lee posted:

The only way to possibly avoid clumsy exposition dumps when you have to introduce a family plus 3 new monsters and their set-ups is to have like an hour of screen time before cool monster poo poo happens. So saying gently caress it and going full old school rubber suit sensibility is way more fun. It felt like a Japanese Godzilla movie, for better and for worse. I thought I was in for a slog, but the moment King Ghidorah showed up they didn't let off the gas and I had a blast.

yeah, we had our Gojira, now we have our Destroy All Monsters

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Maxwell Lord posted:

I can't be sure since I saw the movie at a drive-in, but I'm conflicted. For much of the movie there's a lot of deliberately hiding things in the frame and only revealing them when someone shines a light on them, so I feel like on some level the film was deliberately lit/graded dark. There is one scene in particular, the whole train/bridge sequence, which I think does come off as unnecessarily murky and so that may have been a transfer issue, but for example most of the San Francisco battle is perfectly legible with only a few questionable shots near the end.

It's nowhere near what happened to, say, Game of Thrones S8E3 and that was entirely intentional.

In the theater I had no issues with the film, it was dark, yes, but it was watchable. These are screens from the VOD of Godzilla on Amazon that I just took:

The blacks are completely crushed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Back from Godzilla II (as it's known here) and I really didn't like it.
2014 didn't have incredible characters or anything, but I didn't hate spending time with the main guy. You were denied full views of monster fights until the end, but I thought the grounded perspective gave the movie a lot of atmosphere.
In the sequel, any of that uniqueness is flushed to make a completely formulaic, stock blockbuster that looks (e: outside of monster scenes) like any other lower rung action movie and is filled uninteresting people who I had no fun watching. Even with the promise of much more monsters, the movie is still 95% about boring, stupid, cliched humans. That hollow Earth guy was the worst.
Yeah, the monster action that was there was neato enough, but other than the final fight, there's really not much more than the trailers showed. It's kind of a let down when we're told about 17+ creatures and only really get scenes with four of them.

edit: I wish Zhang Ziyi's Mothra twins was more than just a quick reference. I'm not sure the average viewer would really get that she was playing another character at the Mothra site.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 31, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd put this above G14 because this film knew it wanted to be a big cheesy Kaiju flick. I like a lot of elements of G14. The music, the cinematography, the monster designs are all great. My issue is with Gareth Edwards and how I find him to be a rather pretentious filmmaker. He's excellent on a technical level, but the language of his imagery feels hollow and unearned to me. His big breakout was a film called Monsters, which had the *shocking twist* that the monsters were just animals, and he tried to garner sympathy for them by having them communicate with whale noises.

I get the same vibe from G14 and Rogue One where he is trying to make things seem more epic than they are, but the individually great parts (minus the scripts which suck rear end in all of his movies) don't really come together to form a greater whole.

This movie is sloppy, sure, but to me at least it nails the feel of a Showa era monster rumble and all that entails. It wants to be a Kaiju flick, with big monsters, dumb humans and enough lightheartedness to keep things from going into cynical misery territory.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

not trolled not crying posted:

Well, I felt like Godzilla was kind of heel-ish during the crowning of the new king scene, he looked like poo poo is about to go down now that he has an army of Kaijus with him, and he is done with humanity's poo poo.

During the end credits they flashed a bunch of newspaper articles on screen which mentioned Godzilla was keeping the other titans in line and even chasing them off if they got too close to human towns.
Edit: and he came very very close to being done with humanity's poo poo several times during the film. The first was when humans woke up Ghidorah and he immediately turned up at Monarch's home base and went "You loving idiots, I am this close to ending you right now!" and the second was when he woke up after the pick-me-up-nuke from Serizawa and he went and confronted them on their sub and went "You hit me with the oxygen destroyer? Really? You fuckers!!" and each time he only stood down after the humans had acted suitably penitent.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Skull Island is just the official name for Monster Island now, isn't it.

Yep, one of the newspaper articles in the end credits mentions that some of the awakened titans are converging on Skull Island for some unknow reason.

I, Butthole posted:

One thing unsettled me though: framing the nuke launch as a good thing to repower up Godzilla is kinda against the whole subtext Godzilla is based on.
Yeah but they can't unleash that power without someone paying the ultimate sacrifice for it, but when they name a character Serizawa that pretty much goes with the territory. :v:
I was more unsettled by the fact that they unleashed the Oxygen Destroyer and then immediately moved on.

I, Butthole posted:

Also Burning Godzilla was a huge surprise for me and fuckin' ruled.
That was the part that was spoilered for me by a Youtube thumbnail. :(

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep, one of the newspaper articles in the end credits mentions that some of the awakened titans are converging on Skull Island for some unknow reason.

Godzilla is actually a democratically elected monarch. They’re all going to Skull Island to hold elections and Godzilla vs Kong is actually a political thriller