Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

when die hardman dies hard does he get promoted to deadman?

only if he does it with a vengeance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

No, but he does get promoted to Die Antwoord.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Del Toro's character is called Deadman.

Skeletron posted:

Got my fetus incubator on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SFZWVYK

It's been popping in and out of stock all day, I'd just keep an eye on it.

Two hundred buck?
poo poo I could make one for half that price if I can find a cheap enough hooker.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Wamdoodle posted:

*brow furrowed*

*not at all mad*

It's MGS V

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's five. V can come too.

A superfluous post to advise that I'm still enjoying this

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
3D artist from Insomniac tweetstorms a critique of the graphics in the latest Death Stranding trailer, pretty educational:

https://twitter.com/xck3d/status/1133772140233146368?s=21

For example, he estimates the crow growing old and dying was the work of at least 4-5 people over several months.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 31, 2019

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’ve never heard the rumors that Kojima was upset with Hayter, where does that come from?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Never heard that he was upset with Hayter. Everything I’ve heard was that he was never satisfied Hayter’s voice and always wanted someone famous like Kurt Russell. Which is understandable at first but once you’ve made several popular games with the same guy it does seem like a dick move to try to keep recasting him. He actually made Hayter audition for his role several times.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 31, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’ve never heard the rumors that Kojima was upset with Hayter, where does that come from?

I hardly doubt it.

The whole MGSV situation imho is entirely because Kojima wanted to work with actual actors and use their faces for mocap etc. (Which they did, Snake's face is mocapped by Kiefer)

Obviously in case of MGSV it had very little benefit because Snake is a character with his own established appearance and had very little dialogue.

Now that Kojima doesnt have to care about MGS lore he can put that mocap tech into full use with his celeb buddies.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Hayter himself, pretty much. There was a lot of stuff about it pre MGS5.

But also, Kojima's had a long time thing about the English voice acting cast - he didn't really really have much input into it in MGS1, so a lot of stuff that Western audiences liked about the VA stuff is stuff he didn't even like. Especially accents - he really didn't like them having accents, for whatever reason. Twin Snakes notably had them rerecord a ton of stuff without accents - so Naomi has her flat American MGS4 voice (and Jennifer Hale phoning in an absolutely narcoleptic performance).

It's crazy, because MGS1's voice acting is easily on par with anything modern day - there's a few weird lines here or there, but basically everyone is turning in great work.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My uncle works at Nintendo, so I was able to get my Collectors Edition early. Jealous much?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My uncle works at Nintendo, so I was able to get my Collectors Edition early. Jealous much?

That baby looks mad

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

3D artist from Insomniac tweetstorms a critique of the graphics in the latest Death Stranding trailer, pretty educational:

For example, he estimates the crow growing old and dying was the work of at least 4-5 people over several months.

This thread is a good read. What's blowing my mind is when he finds little artifacts that suggest the models in close shots are designed for use during gameplay, not swapped-in cutscene versions.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Colonel Whitey posted:

He's probably just mad that Hayter's beautiful voice turned 'Metal Gear?!' into a franchise-defining meme.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Steve2911 posted:

He's probably just mad that Hayter's beautiful voice turned 'Metal Gear?!' into a franchise-defining meme.

Hayter did a good job with all the weird translated text and being able to deliver the end of every other characters sentence back to them as a question or an affirmation that progressed their dialogue.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Steve2911 posted:

hrrmnrnh

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I'm not overly thrilled for this, like the MGS V trailer it is light on the 'gameplay' part, and what gameplay there was in 5 was shallow in my opinion.

The gameplay from this looks like placing ladders and walking which is.. moving on.

After 5 as well, all the best cutscenes, infact most of the cutscenes were spoiled in the trailers.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
The hazmat guys look pretty clumsy when they're swinging at Sam in the trailer. I wonder if this is an unintended effect of the animation (or to reflect the suits they are wearing), or is it because Sam is invisible to them and they're just flailing at where they think he is? They're wearing the same detector arms that he uses to detect the ghosts.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ambivalent posted:

It's crazy, because MGS1's voice acting is easily on par with anything modern day - there's a few weird lines here or there, but basically everyone is turning in great work.
Mei Ling's voice actor is turning in great work for a character that should absolutely not have the accent she has. And not just because it's vaguely racist, I mean because her backstory has her being born in America even if she did grow up in Chinatown. (and canonically they removed it for 4 and one of the assistant producers called it a mistake)

can't let that one slide :colbert:

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Most of the complaints about the missing accents is just nostalgia. If the original game would have had no accents, no one would complain.

And the accent itself: i've heard subtler accents from people who have migrated from China to a country where English is taught as a second language.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 31, 2019

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I mostly think of Naomi's because Hale really sells the character well and her big call with Snake on the elevator ('dirty little orphan'!) is great.

But no, I love being told it's 'just nostalgia' like I'm just some moron :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3p9qxp4TnM&t=60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0qFyjgVMvw&t=468s

Twin Snakes is so so inferior for a bunch of stuff (there's tons of details actually missing, a lot of botched porting - Rex's scaling for one is all messed up and it's nose actually clips through the walls in the hangar lol, and all sorts of things just don't work right with the new added features). But the Naomi stuff is easily the worst - goes from an amazing VA performance into an awful one.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 31, 2019

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/pushsquare/status/1134400414357643265

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

No, that's German for "The Hardman, The"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm really looking forward to just exploring. Getting around on a cool bike with cool tools as extremely weird poo poo unfolds sounds fun to me. Hopefully this game's world has Kojima lovely touches in high density as a counter to MGSV which controlled dreamily but didn't have much to discover outside the main plot areas.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Do they even make ladders that long?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Avirosb posted:

Not in-game, where the ladders are 10 meters long according to the description (in real life 12 meters/40 feet is usually the max for common extension ladders IIRC)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Avirosb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgaYe4ZYYyY

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Avirosb posted:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Avirosb posted:

...what a thrill...

efb

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Ambivalent posted:

Hayter himself, pretty much. There was a lot of stuff about it pre MGS5.

But also, Kojima's had a long time thing about the English voice acting cast - he didn't really really have much input into it in MGS1, so a lot of stuff that Western audiences liked about the VA stuff is stuff he didn't even like. Especially accents - he really didn't like them having accents, for whatever reason. Twin Snakes notably had them rerecord a ton of stuff without accents - so Naomi has her flat American MGS4 voice (and Jennifer Hale phoning in an absolutely narcoleptic performance).

This is totally speculative, but my mother-in-law is first generation Chinese and she can't listen to English with accents without subtitles. She says that anything that has weird dialect makes it nearly incomprehensible to her. Maybe he has a similar issue where it's harder to distinguish what's being said, so no accents becomes easier.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Norman Reedus has appeared in other video games right?

It's kinda weird if we start seeing celebrities appearing in multiple game franchises. Even RE2 / DMC5 used celebrities / models for its characters.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

taking a page out of the Todd Howard playbook I see

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

It's kinda weird if we start seeing celebrities appearing in multiple game franchises. Even RE2 / DMC5 used celebrities / models for its characters.

He was in that walking dead game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

WaltherFeng posted:

Just PT and a Walking Dead game for Reedus.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

this whole thread is amazing and shows just how incredible the KojiPro team is when it comes to detail. On every front the game looks like a masterwork in terms of aesthetics.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

megalodong posted:

No, that's German for "The Hardman, The"

Nah, "die" is feminine. (thread title?)

Should be Der Hardman.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BBQ Dave posted:

Nah, "die" is feminine. (thread title?)

Should be Der Hardman.

:thejoke:
no one who speaks german could be an evil man!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Horsebanger posted:

I'm not overly thrilled for this, like the MGS V trailer it is light on the 'gameplay' part, and what gameplay there was in 5 was shallow in my opinion.

The gameplay from this looks like placing ladders and walking which is.. moving on.

After 5 as well, all the best cutscenes, infact most of the cutscenes were spoiled in the trailers.

What on Earth are you comparing mgsv gameplay to that you consider it shallow? Say what you will about the story but the variety of possible approaches to any encounter, the constantly evolving threats, the base building/ weapon production and online aspects in mgsv were not shallow.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
What is it with people being weirdly reductive? Imagine watching those 9 minutes and your only takeaway being, "I see a game that's all about moving ladders." :thunk:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've preordered the 140 dollar baby lamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Steve Yun posted:

Stuff like this is genuinely amazing to me, it's hard for me to even wrap my head around the size of these teams / the amount of time going into a game when they're talking about like multiple people spending weeks working on a single rock or some guy spending months rigging a single flapping piece of duct tape.