Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Thinking of snagging the HF pressure washer today w/ a 25% off Memorial Day coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1750-psi-13-gpm-electric-pressure-washer-63254.html

Anyone have that one? It has solid reviews. I guess I don't NEED it but I've probably been watching too many car detailing videos with pressure washers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
It's okay for what it is being it's from HF. But if you want something with better internals for a little more money, grab a Karcher K1700 Cube. If you got deep pockets and really want to go down the rabbit hole, pick up a Kranzle.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Mr Obsessed Garage did a mega test of pressure washers. While I don't agree with his rigid opinions on car wash products, he seems to be pretty decent at pressure washers.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Thinking of snagging the HF pressure washer today w/ a 25% off Memorial Day coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1750-psi-13-gpm-electric-pressure-washer-63254.html

Anyone have that one? It has solid reviews. I guess I don't NEED it but I've probably been watching too many car detailing videos with pressure washers.

I've had an electric for quite some time, and i think i'm finally going to cut over and get a gas one for the higher flow rates.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

My buddy has an electric one, but he tried my gas powered washer yesterday and he's a convert.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

https://www.hstuning.com/car-care-and-wash-accessories/

Ordered car wash shampoo yesterday. They don't have the foam gun stuff, but I can use CG for the foam gun.

E: Well, poo poo. You can order both from UK amazon if you use your US amazon sign in. If I like it, I'll order a bigger bottle of both from there.

Ouch, $80 usd shipped is pretty steep. That was getting it shipped before June though.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
You only need 1000PSI~ for car detailing. Gas powered stuff at 3000+PSI 2GPMs+ can mess up your paint/clearcoat/vinylwrap/etc pretty easily.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

For sure. The one we got has adjustable pressure (one specifically for cars), but I still keep the wand a couple of feet away to be safe. And use the least powerful nozzle, of course.

Except on my wife's camry with the steel wheels. I blast the hell out of those wheels.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I lucked out, my contractor buddy got tired of maintaining his pressure washer and switched to electric and sold me his old one for $40. It's got a Honda engine and will last forever.

I can't imagine an electric one working for typical pressure washer tasks like cleaning pavement or decking.

Plus, with a gas engine, you can basically swap parts to infinty. Everything is modular and repairable. Can you even really repair electric ones? I try to take a long term view of appliance ownership.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have an $100 home depot special husky electric pressure washer and it cleans the concrete of my driveway just fine and it's been used on decks before. I've had it for like 7 years and it still works just fine.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I ended up getting the HF one. It was only $75 so how bad could it be? Gonna rain all week so I’ll probably give it a whirl next weekend

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

revmoo posted:

I can't imagine an electric one working for typical pressure washer tasks like cleaning pavement or decking.

LOLWUT?

In Australia plenty of households buy pressure washers for exactly this kind of thing and I can guarantee you most of them are not petrol-powered, they work just fine.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I literally use my electric pressure washer for cleaning concrete.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I literally use my electric pressure washer for cleaning concrete.

I've used one for concrete and decks, etc. It's fine-ish, and you can generally get whatever you need done - just really slowly compared to a decent sized gas one.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I bet my gas one does it faster and better :smug:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I bet your gas one requires more maintenance and upkeep for a task you don't do very often. :shrug:

Like, sure my old gas mowers were potentially more powerful and easier to refuel, but the carburetors kept getting gummed up and having to be serviced. What is a one hour job with my battery powered 40V Ryobi mower would take me two to three hours to do with my gas mowers after accounting for dealing with hard to start/stalling/disassembling the carb and cleaning it out.

Maybe if the gas mowers had a fuel cutoff or petcock or we had ethanol free fuel it wouldn't have been as big of a problem. Who can say?

Good riddance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, my Honda mower had been virtually maintenance free for years. Just change the oil at the beginning of the season.

It does have a petcock to shut off fuel flow though and I turn that off and let the mower stall out before putting it away for the winter.

In the summer, just gas it up and pull the cord.

That said, if I DID have to buy a mower today, it would probably be electric. I have a 56v EGO electric trimmer and that thing is a beast.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MetaJew posted:

I bet your gas one requires more maintenance and upkeep for a task you don't do very often. :shrug:

Like, sure my old gas mowers were potentially more powerful and easier to refuel, but the carburetors kept getting gummed up and having to be serviced. What is a one hour job with my battery powered 40V Ryobi mower would take me two to three hours to do with my gas mowers after accounting for dealing with hard to start/stalling/disassembling the carb and cleaning it out.

Maybe if the gas mowers had a fuel cutoff or petcock or we had ethanol free fuel it wouldn't have been as big of a problem. Who can say?

Good riddance.

This sums up my view.

bull3964 posted:

Eh, my Honda mower had been virtually maintenance free for years. Just change the oil at the beginning of the season.

It does have a petcock to shut off fuel flow though and I turn that off and let the mower stall out before putting it away for the winter.

In the summer, just gas it up and pull the cord.

That said, if I DID have to buy a mower today, it would probably be electric. I have a 56v EGO electric trimmer and that thing is a beast.

My Honda gave me about 10 years before getting needy, and in that case it was a dead wax pill for the auto choke that needed a new carburetor. Honda seems to be the exception to the gas motor rule, the rest of them have been problematic for me.

I got a 56V EGO mower. It's great. I can cut my 1/3 acre residential lot on one 7.5ah battery. I've got a 56V blower for blowing and also a backup shot of battery juice if I need it. It's a great combo that's far better for me than gas.

I also got an electric pressure washer this year and it's not as strong as my gas one, but it's just a ton easier and hassle-free. Plus it's much more portable.

I also got an electric-assist bike recently. Now I'm getting the all-electric bug and want an electric car.

Except for my Echo 230 trimmer. That thing is a beast and just eats all the abuse I can give it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My gas pressure washer engine puts out 3.9kW of power.

15 amp * 120 = 1.8kW.

I'm surprised to hear you guys are happy with yours, but I'm a little confused how they can put out the necessary flow with less than half the power.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Some might not be in the US/other 120v areas. I have an electric 230v 3kw Kärcher K7 and its plenty for home use including light sandblasting. I think it has some ramp-up electronics to avoid tripping breakers and works fine on 15 amp circuits. Gas pressure washers are pretty much nonexistent in Europe, although I have seen some diesel powered hot washers.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 28, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

revmoo posted:

15 amp * 120 = 1.8kW.

I'm surprised to hear you guys are happy with yours, but I'm a little confused how they can put out the necessary flow with less than half the power.

They're good enough to cut metal (with a lot of waterjet cutter parts added, heh):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg__B6Ca3jc

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't know anything about cutting with water but isn't it super sketchy do be doing that freehand with your bare hands?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't know anything about cutting with water but isn't it super sketchy do be doing that freehand with your bare hands?

Yeah, Ben Krasnow is super smart but that video is scary.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

revmoo posted:

15 amp * 120 = 1.8kW.

I cleaned my concrete, siding, and car with a 1900 PSI Electric Ryobi one, and it performed all three tasks as well as a gas one. My concrete wasn't super dirty, but for most people, there's no need for a 3-5000 PSI gas powered one, unless maybe you're trying to clean old oil spots off your driveway.

Also, I deal with industrial sandblasting/painting contractors for work, so I'm very aware of what can be done at various PSI's, all the way up to 20,000 PSI water jetting. But I'm glad people like you like your gasoline operated ones, and other gas powered equipment. Keeps me in work :-)

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

15 amp * 120 = 1.8kW.

We're just pressure washing a car or concrete, not cutting 3" steel.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

EvilBeard posted:

We're just pressure washing a car or concrete, not cutting 3" steel.

Flow rate matters though, I'd like to see a comparison of the width of equivalent PSI strips of concrete, cleaned at the same pressures.

Anyway I'm not trying to push gas really but I am surprised that so many folks are satisfied with the performance and longevity of electrical units. I never would have though a 15A motor would be remotely up to the task.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The high pressure wand of my Husky can take off paint. I really don't need anything more powerful than that.

It strips concrete bare and is strong enough that I actually had to worry about creating spalling on my concrete steps.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I don't get the decent foam with my electric and is the one reason i'm thinking of upgrading to hit 2GPM+

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Kinda depends on the foam you are using as well. More foam does not mean it's better neither. Looks nice though. I've started to use my Bilt Hamber Autofoam with a pressure sprayer instead. Less hassle and I don't have to remember the calculations of my pressure washer flow and panel impact ratio etc. Works just as well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Man I'm thinking of getting a pressure washer for general home/car use and I'm still confused about gas vs electric. Is gas really that much better to make worrying about changing the oil in something else worth it? I went electric for my mower and it's great.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

toplitzin posted:

I don't get the decent foam with my electric and is the one reason i'm thinking of upgrading to hit 2GPM+

Is a pressure washer ideal for foam? I use the Chemical Guys Torx Foam Blaster that you hook up to a garden hose, so there's a ton of water volume and the foam stacks as much as you want it to... https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-ACC_326-Ultimate-Connects/dp/B00F5MCL14

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Is a pressure washer ideal for foam? I use the Chemical Guys Torx Foam Blaster that you hook up to a garden hose, so there's a ton of water volume and the foam stacks as much as you want it to... https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-ACC_326-Ultimate-Connects/dp/B00F5MCL14

I have both kinds.

I got his one first:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y190WE

I wasn't impressed enough by it that I went ahead and got one for the pressure washer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MF8E46S/

And here's what i usually get for results:

Heck even theirs wants 2GPM, but will work at 1.4.
https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-HOL145-Premium-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B071X6WFXL

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Don't forget that since every pressure washer has different flow rate, so you'll need to calculate the correct amount to of product to mix in the container so that the panel impact ratio is correct. Can't just go by the ratios on the label and start spraying.

Here's how Bilt Hamber describe the process:
https://www.bilthamber.com/media/downloads/auto-foam.pdf

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrOnBicycle posted:

Don't forget that since every pressure washer has different flow rate, so you'll need to calculate the correct amount to of product to mix in the container so that the panel impact ratio is correct. Can't just go by the ratios on the label and start spraying.

Here's how Bilt Hamber describe the process:
https://www.bilthamber.com/media/downloads/auto-foam.pdf

I've been detailing since before "detailing" was a thing. I'll put my work up against anyone and I have moved through many products over the years. It seems, though, that there's a focus on diminishing returns in some aspects of detailing now -- "panel impact ratio" is one of them. It's putting bubbles on a car to get the dirt off, there's only so much you can do with that. :D

toplitzin posted:

I have both kinds.

I got his one first:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y190WE

That looks like the exact same thing as the one I linked, CG just buys a different color and puts their name on it. It does all I need, and mine looks similar to the sudsy picture you showed.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Also, depending on the foam cannon you may have to change the inlet orifice to match your washer. I had a higher flowing one, and once I changed it the ratio mixed better.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

meatpimp posted:

I've been detailing since before "detailing" was a thing. I'll put my work up against anyone and I have moved through many products over the years. It seems, though, that there's a focus on diminishing returns in some aspects of detailing now -- "panel impact ratio" is one of them. It's putting bubbles on a car to get the dirt off, there's only so much you can do with that. :D

For me it's just a way to follow the manufacturers instructions and not waste a ton of product when it's not needed or diluting the product so much that it doesn't do anything and then people complain. I think snow foam is a load of marketing BS, where the super thick lather foam looks great and is the selling point. Then when it's actually tested in as good a way as you can expect from amateurs, the foamy stuff just doesn't perform. It's like it says on the BH data sheet I linked - the foam itself isn't a part of the cleaning. Doesn't really matter since I don't use foam cannons anymore. It's easier faster to just get the correct concentration in a spray pump and apply it.

The whole car detailing thing has taken off insanely the couple of years, and there is so much hype and social media influence. Anyway I wouldn't spend $$$ buying stuff just to get good looking foam that does nothing. :)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

meatpimp posted:

That looks like the exact same thing as the one I linked, CG just buys a different color and puts their name on it. It does all I need, and mine looks similar to the sudsy picture you showed.

See, I was expecting more "your car was outside during the snowstorm" levels of foam.

Hearing that you get the same output makes me feel quite a bit better.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

revmoo posted:

Flow rate matters though, I'd like to see a comparison of the width of equivalent PSI strips of concrete, cleaned at the same pressures.

That was part of the reason I went with gas. My buddy's electric output was something like 1.6 gpm, and he wasn't very happy with how long it took him to clean his fence/siding/driveway.

Plus, our house flooded during hurricane Harvey a couple of years ago, and there's no way an electric would have gotten that crap off the floors inside after we finished demo. Our outside concrete never got anything after the flood except for a hose-off every so often after we dragged out more debris or contractors were there and mucked it all up.

Anyway, sorry for starting a gas vs electric death match.

Edit: I ordered the Bilt Hamber foam, only $66 shipped to the US :stonklol:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

One other thing, any non-garaged-car owners here do a paint correction? My car never goes in the garage, so I'm wondering how well a correction would hold up. Naturally the washing/drying stuff will play a part, but I'm wondering how much the environment will make a difference.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

a mysterious cloak posted:

One other thing, any non-garaged-car owners here do a paint correction? My car never goes in the garage, so I'm wondering how well a correction would hold up. Naturally the washing/drying stuff will play a part, but I'm wondering how much the environment will make a difference.

I did a full compound and polish on a black V70 a couple of years ago. In retrospect it was a total waste of time since it wasn't my car and my dad doesn't care enough to take the time out of his already over-stressed life to wash it, and I didn't have time to wash it neither. But I learned a ton so I guess it was worth it...
The worst bit is that unless you finish it in one go (which is unlikely if you do a full correction), you start off and it's going well......and then the rain comes. Now you have to rewash it again. But wait what's that? Oh rain again. The wind wasn't much of a problem though and since I'd wipe the panel before correcting, any dust etc wasn't really a problem.

What I do now is small portions of a car and finish them fully (including protection) before moving on. I also bought a used 6x4m FleXTent off an auction that will be handy as well. Protection from sun and rain is the most important. Especially if you do coatings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well, it took several years (my OP is waaay down-thread somewhere, from early 2013) but thanks to you folks, I managed to hugely improve the finish on my '66 Bonneville.

I've had this car since 2000, and, while I have maintained & repaired it meticulously, I let the finish go...part of it was not noticing; part ignorance. It wasn't until I'd looked at photos from years back that I realized how truly crappy the finish had gotten, particularly on the horizontal planes.

I'd considered having the car stripped & re-painted, including fixing 50+ -years of dings & damage, but a) I got the car to drive it, not to be terrified of anyone getting near it and b) it's loving expensive, even if I pull all the brightwork & mask it myself.

So I figured on making a run at getting the shine back. After consulting here, and following the links suggested, I educated myself about clay bars, waterless cleaning, and feeding the finish. These are the results:

First test pass

Second test pass

It's on! Loaded up with Meguiar's #7, left overnight. This was done three times.

Results after seven applications:

It's far from a modern perfect glaze, but it's miles better than I expected I'd ever get. Thanks, guys!