Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

while i appreciate the thought and novelty of a king themed speech, it is a, uh, interesting choice. Maybe something from gerald's game?

"That slit was the object of every man's lust - the heterosexual ones, at least - but it was frequently an object of their inexplicable scorn, distrust, and hate. You didn't hear that dark anger in all their jokes, but it was present in enough of them, and in some it was right out front, raw as a sore: What's a woman? A life-support system for a oval office ."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Is The Long Walk movie finally happening?

https://deadline.com/2019/05/stephen-king-the-long-walk-new-line-movie-andre-ovredal-directing-1202620157/

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

God I hope so, of course, depending how he did on Scary Stories. But from the looks of it, I am a tiny bit excited.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I hope not :( I don't see how you can adapt it into a movie without making it loving awful.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I hope not :( I don't see how you can adapt it into a movie without making it loving awful.

Seriously?

I always thought the exact opposite. You don't need a big budget or any CGI and the story as written could basically be pulled off in a play.

All you need is good child actors and enough sense to handle the admittedly difficult element of shooting kids in cold blood and not make it gratuitous or overly graphic. I mean, poo poo, you could have the executions be done off screen with a gunshot sound, a black screen or just reaction shots and close ups on the other kid's faces and still communicate the same effect. Show the soldier yelling and drawing down. Cut to the kid's face and his feet. *BANG* Other kids react in terror but keep walking. Lots of closeups on faces, worn bloody shoes and intimate conversations. Build the characters through dialog.

The thing writes itself and could be done on a shoestring.

Get good actors in the role, handle the brutality with a modicum of good taste, respect the message of the story and it seems like it'd be easy.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it would be a multiple hour long shot of people talking while slowly walking down a road and occasionally getting shot, culminating in an unclear scene where the main character goes crazy and runs away

it would suck

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I love The Long Walk but I don’t think it would do well as a filmed piece.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it would be a multiple hour long shot of people talking while slowly walking down a road and occasionally getting shot, culminating in an unclear scene where the main character goes crazy and runs away

it would suck

Locke was a dude in a car making phone calls.

This has far more to work with than that.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
about five people on earth have seen locke

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

about five people on earth have seen locke

Which is a shame, but doesn’t negate the fact that there are critically acclaimed films that have worked with far more constrictive limitations in both production and concept.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Throw in flashbacks and enough world-building poo poo and the Long Walk absolutely has (forgive me) legs as a tight, cleverly filmed 90-100 minute movie.

It’s basically a living room drama but instead of a living room it’s an endless death march. With a good director and good actors it’s totally doable.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
maybe they could add in some quips and action scenes with explosions and a romantic interest to make it work better as a movie

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
We had a movie that was literally an hour and a half of Ryan Reynolds stuck in a box.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Karmine posted:

Throw in flashbacks and enough world-building poo poo and the Long Walk absolutely has (forgive me) legs as a tight, cleverly filmed 90-100 minute movie.

I think so as well. The Handmaid's Tale has shown that neo-facist dystopian fiction is resonating with viewers.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Would it be a problem that females in the book are pretty much sidelined (literally)? Also, there were a handful of violent deaths yeah? Doesn't one guy get shot in the stomach multiple times?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't think it's a problem for a single movie to be about a bunch of dudes so long as overall women are portrayed fairly in the industry. I also think with a decent amount of flashbacks (like someone else mentioned before), The Long Walk can still have female characters other than just those on the side of the road.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
There's no reason they couldn't make the walkers both genders. I think they would need to keep the gruesome details to show how bloodthirsty the crowd is and how ruthless the guards are.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Karmine posted:

It’s basically a living room drama but instead of a living room it’s an endless death march. With a good director and good actors it’s totally doable.

Agreed. You could really even make it a play with some clever backdrops and scenery movement. Lot's of good films have succeeded using a single, simple setting (12 Angry Men, Glen Gary Glen Ross, My Dinner With Andre, Rope, Alien, Saw, Phone Booth, The Hateful 8, Tape - just off the top of my head)

Canuckistan posted:

There's no reason they couldn't make the walkers both genders. I think they would need to keep the gruesome details to show how bloodthirsty the crowd is and how ruthless the guards are.

None at all. That's actually a good idea.

If you needed to break up the "kids walking on the road" scenes, cut to reality TV watching assholes cynically laughing at the participants fate, having parties and placing side bets - completely detached and totally non empathetic to the brutal reality of the situation and watching it like it was a Roman coliseum or a WWE wrestler killing themselves in the ring. Throw in some cheesy commercials and pile on the social commentary like a Verhoven film if you want. Gun commercials. Life insurance ads. Energy drinks. Military recruitment. Mix in some flashbacks describing the participants.

I don't see at all how this "can't work"

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't see at all how this "can't work"
However, this is a Stephen King adaptation we are talking about here...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
We just had a billion dollar franchise about kids killing each other in a dystopian future.

The only question is whether the Long Walk will be 3 movies or if they can squeeze a fourth out of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Joe Chill posted:

However, this is a Stephen King adaptation we are talking about here...

Counterpoint.

Best bet is to leave King out of it entirely and totally change it if he says he loves it.

Anyone know how he felt about "IT: Chapter 1"? Seems to me he sort of kind of reluctantly liked it.

I thought it was great.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

hatelull posted:

Would it be a problem that females in the book are pretty much sidelined (literally)? Also, there were a handful of violent deaths yeah? Doesn't one guy get shot in the stomach multiple times?

Either make some of the walkers female or portray it as a sexist dystopia. As far as the violence goes I don’t see the problem? Movies are still allowed to be violent aren’t they?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Karmine posted:

As far as the violence goes I don’t see the problem? Movies are still allowed to be violent aren’t they?

For sure. That was just a response to an earlier suggestion that the executions could all be just implied or shown off screen since showing kids getting executed might not play well. Some of the violent deaths (Olson and Barkovitch?) might be crucial to the narrative but that could easily be argued.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My only concern with girl walkers is that the studio would inevitably shoehorn in a terrible teen romance subplot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Counterpoint.

Best bet is to leave King out of it entirely and totally change it if he says he loves it.

Anyone know how he felt about "IT: Chapter 1"? Seems to me he sort of kind of reluctantly liked it.

I thought it was great.

Hes posted on social media that he loves anything based on his work lately. He's really just self promoting his brand now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1134252458715308034

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

His best story in a over a decade.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Joke's on the tick when he starts sucking out eyeball goo instead of blood.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Looks like there will be Doctor Sleep trailer today. I was so-so on the book, but Mike Flanagan writing and directing it makes me think this could be a case of the movie ending up better than the book.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msJTFvhkU4

I feel like everything Flanagan makes is a solid B+. I just hope he can make the True Knot more interesting than the book did.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Looks like there will be Doctor Sleep trailer today. I was so-so on the book, but Mike Flanagan writing and directing it makes me think this could be a case of the movie ending up better than the book.

The cast for the three leads are great, with Rose the Hat being perfect. But the source material wasn't good and the movie looks ugly as gently caress so far, so I'm out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msJTFvhkU4

I feel like everything Flanagan makes is a solid B+. I just hope he can make the True Knot more interesting than the book did.

I don't see how. Dr Sleep was OK but all the vampire stuff was just awful and, worse, took me out of the idea that I was reading a Shining sequel.

I kind of want them to do more Netflix movies. Gerald's Game and 1922 were both really good I thought.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't see how. Dr Sleep was OK but all the vampire stuff was just awful and, worse, took me out of the idea that I was reading a Shining sequel.

The Shining has a lot of untapped potential. Let's make a sequel that delves into deeper detail about the Shine.

No, just add vampires. And RV's.

I'm pretty sure those were primary thought processes in King's head.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Don't forget the top hat, which somehow makes the lameness ten times worse.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't even remember a top hat. Don't try to jog my memory, it's obvious I forgot it as a self defense mechanism.

The trailer is taking cues from the movie version of the Shining. Maybe it'll differ just enough from the book to toss out any bad parts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don't even remember a top hat.

I don't either.

It was a breezy enough read and I don't recall HATING it outright but when I was done with it I wished I'd had my time back and had just re-read The Shining or fired up the film.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

This is (official?) art of the primary antagonist from Doctor Sleep and it pretty much encapsulates why the book sucks so much.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Shining has a lot of untapped potential. Let's make a sequel that delves into deeper detail about the Shine.

its psychic brain magic. you want an explanation that ultimately links it to the World Turtle or what? "deeper detail" is boring nerd worldbuilding poo poo.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

its psychic brain magic. you want an explanation that ultimately links it to the World Turtle or what? "deeper detail" is boring nerd worldbuilding poo poo.

Midichlorians come to mind. And King does like things that rhyme :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Sleep trailer looks pretty bleak if you ask me. I got "TV Movie" vibes from it and can't for the life of me think of a way to make a good movie from that book. Seems to me all it potentially has going for it is being "The Shining 2" but people are gonna be disappointed when they learn how tenuous the plot is to the original.

I never thought Shining was a movie asking for a sequel but if you had to do it, focus more on Danny's alcoholism and mental health and maybe give him a family/small child of his own that might be in peril.