Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Adrienne Barbeau is supposed to be in it. She's only in her seventies...

So some big viney boobs are gonna drain my swamp. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I hope swamp thing is good, but mainly because I want a decent loving constantine on television jesus christ how many times do they have to

ok sorry, anyway. swamp thing.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I just want swamp boobs because we got boobs in Doom Patrol. I didn't watch that Titans show, not sure if it's my thing. Probably because I recall that from Teen Titans which was a cartoon that came out while I was far out of the age range to watch it. So is the DCU show alright? I might give it a try. I only started reading this thread once Doom Patrol talk started so maybe I'll check out the beginning of the thread.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

I just want swamp boobs because we got boobs in Doom Patrol. I didn't watch that Titans show, not sure if it's my thing. Probably because I recall that from Teen Titans which was a cartoon that came out while I was far out of the age range to watch it. So is the DCU show alright? I might give it a try. I only started reading this thread once Doom Patrol talk started so maybe I'll check out the beginning of the thread.

Just watch it, you won't get cooties.

Might as well complete the set. it's not teeny. It's dark.
You get to see Jason Todd be a complete dochue mozzle.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

I'll go the opposite of Rock and say don't watch it! It was bad. The acting was bad, the costumes were bad, the production value felt cheaper, the plot spins wheels for a few episodes, there's a backdoor pilot that doesn't even feel like it's part of this show, the last episode was laughably bad, the characters are far removed from what you would expect as "Titans" either as a comic reader or cartoon watcher, and worst yet it is boring in places... I could go on! Meh watch it anyway and then report back in.

I just don't know about that show. I doubt I'll watch s2 unless people in the thread say there's a dramatic turn around. It felt like a slightly higher budget CW show to me along with the young angst and pointless drama.

Doom Patrol was amazingly good in comparison. The actors did a great job with their characters giving them personality. All of the above complaints don't hold water except there could be a case for calling the Flex episode a spinning wheel, but it still was entertaining even though it didn't push the main plot forward as much as some of the other stories. I thought it was excellent overall and I look forward to s2.

I'm honestly surprised that the same creative directors lined up the writers and showrunners for each show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why would you discourage someone from making their own mind up?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I hope swamp thing is good, but mainly because I want a decent loving constantine on television jesus christ how many times do they have to

Legends of Tomorrow has the best possible Constantine, so...

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Third Option, Kipling shows up in Constantine's place.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Swamp Thing is fine so far. It's an origin story so it's kinda hard to really judge the show yet. I wish they dropped the first two episodes today instead of just 1x01. Some pretty gnarly (literally) visuals.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ST drat well better be dedicated to Dick Durock.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

I ended up watching it after Doom Patrol and it's not nearly as good in my opinion. I'll be honest I mostly half-watched it while doing something else. I felt it started really weak but got better as the season went on and it has potential. I enjoyed the one-off origin story for Hawk and Dove and the finale was an interesting story as well. You might enjoy the Doom Patrol episode to see what could have been with a different approach and a different actor for Niles.

Levin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 31, 2019

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

So is the DCU show alright?

An Ounce of Gold posted:

my opinion and then

"Meh watch it anyway and then report back in..."

Rocksicles posted:

Why would you discourage someone from making their own mind up?

So my answer is because the person asked for opinions and then I said to watch it anyway. That doesn't really seem like discouraging the person from making up their own mind when I told the person to watch it themselves and even then report back in.

If you want to quote my first sentence in my other post as a rebuttal though I won't feel bad!

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 31, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Phylodox posted:

I watched the first season of that and noped the gently caress out, did it get good? I can't possibly imagine that show being good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I watched the first season of that and noped the gently caress out, did it get good? I can't possibly imagine that show being good.

They kept what worked and dropped what didn't. They full-on leaned into the cheese and relaxed nature of the show. Episodes have an almost improv feel to them where they rummaged around in the prop closet and said "okay, we've got some old movie cameras and Greek armor... Helen of Troy winds up as a Hollywood starlet, go!" Half of the episodes are blatant homages to various movies or genres. For season two the bad guys are Malcom Merlyn, Damien Dhark and the Reverse Flash having a teamup that's more or less just a scenery-chewing competition.

The show is incredibly stupid but knows it's stupid and has fun along the way. "Yeah we're a bunch of screwups, but sometimes we screw things up for the better."

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Where the first season was a dark ongoing arc of murderverse and extravagant timeline-fuckery, the latest season is mostly standalone episodes of silliness with magic and monsters.

I'm not saying either way is better necessarily, but pretty much the only thing it has in common with season one is most of the cast. I certainly enjoy the newer format more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Once they got through the first season they realized that all the actors are kind of goofy and so they leaned hard into the "Time Idiots" skid. So you have stuff like in the most recent season the ladies of the team doing a book club, including someone who was the villain of the previous season.

Anyway, watched the first episode of Swamp Thing and it was okay but seemed like just way too much setup. I am wondering how much they're going to take from the Alan Moore run especially the idea that (potential spoiler for the season) Alec Holland is just straight up dead and the Swamp Thing is not and never was him.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Well poo poo, I should give it a shot. That first season was so loving earnest I wanted to die.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

An Ounce of Gold posted:

If you want to quote my first sentence in my other post as a rebuttal though I won't feel bad!

You buried the lead under a pile of complaining, i didn't get that far.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

muscles like this! posted:

Anyway, watched the first episode of Swamp Thing and it was okay but seemed like just way too much setup.
I too watched it. It didn't seem like it's going to be much fun, so I'll be not bothering with more unless this thread suggests it has become fun.

It was even more taking-itself-seriously than Titans.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Team meeting "gloves, masks and googles people, caregivers don't get sick on my watch" - Immediately goes in without goggles.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

You buried the lead under a pile of complaining, i didn't get that far.

So you read half a post and gave it poo poo? 230 words or two paragraphs was too much reading for you? I think the funniest part is that the hill you're choosing to die on is loving Titans which was mediocre at best.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Corte posted:

So you read half a post and gave it poo poo? 230 words or two paragraphs was too much reading for you? I think the funniest part is that the hill you're choosing to die on is loving Titans which was mediocre at best.

What are you his lawyer? i never said it was good in my post chum, so let's not get all "too much reading".

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Season 2 and on of Legends of Tomorrow is good stuff. Don't let that terrible first season ruin it. In fact I think people would agree with me that each following season has been more entertaining than its previous so far. Go Time Idiots! All hail Beebo

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Anyone have any .gifs of the John Carpenter's The Thing stuff in the middle of the first episode of Swamp Thing?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

Matt Ryan could easily walk into Swamp Thing as Constantine, trenchcoat and all. He wouldn't appear any more out of place than a researcher in a bayou wearing designer sandals.
But we haven't got nearly enough swamp boogie magic voodoo to call him in, so far it's been mostly sciencey-based.

I really enjoyed this first suspense/horror episode, plays like a (b) movie in parts, as it should. The 'branch growing' sound effects were lifted directly out of the comic books.

A few jump scares and a whole lot of dutch angles. And this little shot, don't know what the effect is called, at first I thought the stuffed head moved.

Virginia Madsen only had one scene, and it was great. She'll be a fine antagonist.

Rocksicles posted:

Team meeting "gloves, masks and googles people, caregivers don't get sick on my watch" - Immediately goes in without goggles.

Abby doesn't need to follow any protocols; as head of the CDC Epidemic Intelligence Service she has a feel, a knack, an intuition for when it's safe LOL. Kind of like Scully in X-Files. "Autopsy of person who died of unidentified pathogen - who needs gloves or face mask!"

Even more though, Alec Holland leaning on a piece of equipment while it's running was the most anxiety-inducing research technique for me LOL.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 2, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Re-reading Moore's Swamp Thing run I am reminded Abby will need denim cutoffs at one point.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
regarding the swamp thing pilot; was anyone else fully expecting some pyrotechnics and exploded sugar glass in the lab set followed by a stunt burn/tumble into the water only to be dissapointed by the "shot on a boat and singed a bit" death of alec holland we got?

probably a budget or insurance thing but still...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was surprised to find out that swamp thing was some guy. I thought he was more like an avatar for the force of nature

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bring back old gbs posted:

I was surprised to find out that swamp thing was some guy. I thought he was more like an avatar for the force of nature

Well, (book spoilers) it starts with Alec Holland being turned into the swamp thing and learning to become a defender of the Green. But eventually you learn he was never really Alec and actually was just the elemental.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I liked the horror vibe and I loved the practical effects.

I think it's also natural for Swamp Thing to have a quite different tone to Doom Patrol. I've seen DCU TV handle Grant Morrison (and they nailed it), now it's time to see how they handle Alan Moore.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just got around to watching the first episode of Swamp Thing, and it's really mediocre so far. Seems like a really weird choice to not have Swamp Thing appear in the first episode of Swamp Thing (except, I assume, for that five seconds at the end). I've never read the comics so I'm kind of wondering what the plot of this show is even going to be. We've got a doctor trying to cure a disease that might be related to someone doing something weird and maybe evil-sciencey with a swamp? And there's going to be a big swamp monster guy involved (I know that much). Really not seeing where this could possibly be going. They're kind of playing it like a medical drama mixed with a horror movie right now and I don't feel like the two halves work together at all.

Also, is the protagonist's name Abbey Arcane? Is she a wizard? I know, comic book names, but seriously? This isn't Gotham or Legends of Tomorrow. It doesn't feel like they're going for the kind of show where those goofy names fit the tone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's her name from the comics, why would they change it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rhyno posted:

Just because it sounds real dumb. It's not a big deal, it just stood out to me because not much else about the episode did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

Just because it sounds real dumb. It's not a big deal, it just stood out to me because not much else about the episode did.

It's badass and her father is Anton loving Arcane, the most metal villain name ever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tiggum posted:

If it helps, in the comics she has white hair with a black streak and they didn't give her that.

(I half suspect it'll be revealed she dyes it.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps, in the comics she has white hair with a black streak and they didn't give her that.

(I half suspect it'll be revealed she dyes it.)

I bet she'll have an accident that gives her the hair.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Tiggum's is never loving happy, he's basically Eeyore.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Tiggum watches comic book shows and doesn't expect comic book things

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
starting with the origin and botching it somewhat doesn't bode well for the writing. also having next to zero idea wtf is going on plotwise doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. also the cliffhanger ending of swampy wading about five feet and then passing out really isn't the "hook" they think it is.

maybe they were going for the "feature length opening" thing shows do sometimes where they smush the first couple episodes together and release them as one but someone didn't get the memo?

still better than the titans pilot though.

Tiggum posted:

It's about tone. Gotham had a character called Kristen Kringle and that show was fantastic. But you were never supposed to take that show seriously. This show seems to want us to take it seriously, and yet it has a protagonist named Abbey Arcane. It's weirdly inconsistent. But like I said before, it's only a minor thing, it just stands out because the rest of the episode was just not very attention-grabbing. There's not a lot to say about the rest of it because it's a really slow start that gives very little indication of where the series is headed.

just be thankful they didn't give her a dumb pseudonym like "Abigail R. Caine". :rolleyes:

which raises another point, how the hell did she get a sweet CDC gig when any potential employer googling her (hilarious) surname would get hundreds of results about her extremely hosed up rotting fleshwizard dad and his army of rear end in a top hat insectoid henchmen being a bunch grody assholes?

Jose Mengelez fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I bet she'll have an accident that gives her the hair.

Re-reading the Moore stuff on DC Universe, jokingly I find that Abby's biggest identifiers are both her white hair and denim cutoffs. Bissette might have had a thing for them.