Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'm honestly glad you didn't elaborate.

It's just tits all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

davidspackage posted:

It's weird as hell that Generations and First Contact had Data doing emotions finally, and then Insurrection is all "what is playing beep boop" again.

That said, even though Data never got to grow gradually because story arcs aren't for syndication, Data's great. Y'all can go suck a Katarian egg.

tee dee pow

Piller hated the emotion chip and hated Data getting emotions; he wanted Data to be eternally emotionless.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

This is a franchise where the queen of a literal hive mind issues verbal commands to the drones.

yeah, maybe that has something to do with why people think voyager is one of the less-good trek series

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Brawnfire posted:

That's why I got bay windows on my spaceship. You get a larger viewing angle without compromising atmos.
Reminds me of the episode of Space: 1999 where it was revealed that Moonbase Alpha has awning windows. That open.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Piller hated the emotion chip and hated Data getting emotions; he wanted Data to be eternally emotionless.

How dare characters change. Don’t the audiences understand SYNDICATION?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Zesty posted:

How dare characters change. Don’t the audiences understand SYNDICATION?

To be fair, it was pretty lame to have Data's quixotic dream of becoming more human be resolved through a software update.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I finally made it to the end of Voyager. poo poo, I had been warned it wasn't good but the finale failed to meet my very low expectations.

We don't even get to see them make it back? Just hail some ships?! Why did they do all this alt future timeline stuff? Why is everyone so willing to throw away the last couple decades? Why is this story mostly about future Janeway?

It's pretty amazing that Star Trek survived the Voyager years.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

marktheando posted:

It's like the economy, you don't see the effects until the president after.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

It's like the economy, you don't see the effects until the president after.

Wait, so Discovery did well enough for them to green light 20 Star Trek shows because of Enterprise?! 🤔

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

marktheando posted:

I finally made it to the end of Voyager. poo poo, I had been warned it wasn't good but the finale failed to meet my very low expectations.

We don't even get to see them make it back? Just hail some ships?! Why did they do all this alt future timeline stuff? Why is everyone so willing to throw away the last couple decades? Why is this story mostly about future Janeway?

It’s very in-character for Janeway in the future to just say ‘gently caress it, I’m going to do things my way’ and undo people’s lives to save Tuvok and a few others

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Angry Salami posted:

To be fair, it was pretty lame to have Data's quixotic dream of becoming more human be resolved through a software update.

Not to mention his motivation for this life-altering decision being that he made a faux pas at a party.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

He is a machine, though. Pretty much everything he does is a software update.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Except for banging Yar. That was…you know.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CPColin posted:

Except for banging Yar. That was…you know.

...hardware installation?

Plug 'n' play?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Data Entry

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

marktheando posted:

The franchise may have, but only as an empty husk.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Do you think Data had to do the USB thing where it wouldn’t fit one way, it wouldn’t fit the other way, and then tried the first way again and it worked for some reason??

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:golfclap:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Every time I see a bunch of USB sticks plugged into a bank or something I get the irresistible urge to yank them out and start throwing them in the air like a drunken child because of star trek

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

:thurman:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well they did spend a long time on spread sheets

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm gonna be honest. As much as everyone talks about the the Maquis thing on Voyager being wasted, DS9 didn't have much more of an idea of what to do with them either. And that's kind of the one legit criticism I'd give to the show. The multiple arcs they start don't really come to a meaningful conclusion outside of the Dominion War arc. The Maquis peter out and get mostly wiped out offscreen. The Klingon War just runs until they decide they want to shift focus back to the Dominion and they're back to being allies again. The show just seems to be stuck in a cycle of not being able to decide what it wants to focus on until the middle of season 5.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t think anyone considers the Maquis parts of DS9 to be up that far on the highlights list but something was done with them and it was occasionally an entertaining story or character pieces specific to the Maquis.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t think anyone considers the Maquis parts of DS9 to be up that far on the highlights list but something was done with them and it was occasionally an entertaining story or character pieces specific to the Maquis.

While I think the quality of the Eddington/Sisko stuff is frequently overblown it's definitely got a good list of Sisko moments and even some decent character development on several ends. The Maquis were only ever a wasted idea if only because DS9 is already rich in terrorism talks via Kira and you can only do so much "I killed people, maaaaaaaan" and "The political ramifications of the declination of morality are faaaaaaart" before it really starts to wear out its welcome.

Also they're just very stupid all the way down, to the point of never once making a realistically logical decision.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 31, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm only bring up the Maquis not to deflect from one of the valid criticisms of Voyager, but to point out a recurring problem DS9 has, and that's that everything that isn't the Dominion arc kind of peters out without a resolution. Eddington's death does nothing to address the issues that created the Maquis; it's an ending, but not necessarily a resolution.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked the two parter, the Maquis, focusing strongly on Cal Hudson's uniform.

I liked the episode For the Uniform, focusing on the maquis.

I will always mix these two up.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I always thought of the Maquis in DS9 mostly being a thing set up for Voyager then about Eddington more than them as a thing.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Right. The Maquis story was pretty much forced on DS9 to set up Voyager.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Watching Caretaker again, I'm astonished how quickly Chakotay leaps into a Starfleet uniform, with a combadge and everything. Then he forgets about being angry forever at Tom Paris and just ... exists, in the background, until the series ends. What a waste.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Regardless of whether it was forced, it was still a part of the world they had to write for. And as I laid out in prior posts, it wasn’t the only plot point that suffered in this manner.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Nodosaur posted:

And that's kind of the one legit criticism I'd give to the show.

Seriously? That's the one legit criticism you have of the show?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I meant to say “that’s ONE legit criticism I’d give.” Sometimes my mind ends up putting thoughts in terms I use more often when I write them down.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Heh, I hear ya. Ain't no thang.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I recently watch Caretaker again just out of curiosity, and there are bunch of things that I liked:
- it was fun watching Voyager get to be a real star fleet ship that goes on missions and stuff.
- I liked how they introduced some of the other senior officers (all white guys) and actually played it pretty coyly regarding who was going to bite it.
- Nelix preparing to get beamed up for the first time got a genuine laugh from me.

I didn't like that the ship was totalled after getting to the delta quadrant, but repaired to pristine condition by the time second half started.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

I'm only bring up the Maquis not to deflect from one of the valid criticisms of Voyager, but to point out a recurring problem DS9 has, and that's that everything that isn't the Dominion arc kind of peters out without a resolution. Eddington's death does nothing to address the issues that created the Maquis; it's an ending, but not necessarily a resolution.

From what I read about Ron Moore's depiction of the Maqui, they didn't really have a fully realized vision of what they were. His thing was that the Federation was mad that people left the Federation and it never really jives with what we see. The Maqui are putting lots of lives in danger and its the Federation's job to protect the peace for its people.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nodosaur posted:

It got subsumed by the Dominion War. The Maquis, and the colonists they were trying to protect, are either killed by the Jem'hadar or evacuated out off-screen by Starfleet after Eddington dies, having gotten Sisko to swear to help the survivors before he dies. The issues are also resolved, albeit not happily for the Maquis, because the Dominion clears up the territorial dispute very cleanly. Any former Federation citizens in Cardassian territory are either murdered or escape back to the Federation.

After the war, the survivors may well be able to reclaim their old worlds since the Cardassians won't be in any kind of position to make demands of the Feds, but then again they may not want to try and take back worlds devastated by war and may well choose to remain where they resettled after the evacuation. Hard to say, and as far as I know, no one ever wrote a book or comic book about it, much less mentioned it in a movie.

But the basic issue of "hey, we don't want to live under Cardassian rule and we don't want to leave" IS resolved. They left or they died.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

when I say "no resolution", I'm not counting situations where another plot comes in and makes those things go away. That's cleaning house, not finishing a story in a way that gives resolution and meaning to the events.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Both points of view are kind of stupid.

Next Gen constantly has moments that hint at the idea that Data is developing emotions and transcending his programming. "The Most Toys" is a really good example of there being really clear rules set about Data only being able to hurt humans in self-dense and then actively trying to murder someone at the end of the episode out of a sense of justice, actively lying about it to Riker about it, and then kind of rubbing it in with a sick burn on the bad guy.

The episodes always reset until it's the next time to hint that maybe Data is evolving, but it's hard to walk away with the idea that he's just doomed to no emotions forever.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I haven't re-watched Voyager in years since it's so painfully bad in places, but I think it's stated (or at least implied) that Chakotay was a Starfleet officer, probably only a year or two before the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FuturePastNow posted:

I haven't re-watched Voyager in years since it's so painfully bad in places, but I think it's stated (or at least implied) that Chakotay was a Starfleet officer, probably only a year or two before the pilot.

He was. He left Starfleet and joined the Maquis after his estranged father was killed by Cardassians. From the transcript of the really bad episode "Tattoo"

quote:

CHAKOTAY: I wish I could see my father's face right now.
ALIEN: Does he still live?
CHAKOTAY: No. He died fighting enemies who would have taken our home colony. Our tribe moved there a few hundred years ago.
ALIEN: So he honoured the land just as his ancestors did.
CHAKOTAY: Yes. Yes, he did. We weren't on very good terms when he died. Once he was gone, I didn't know how to reconcile our differences, how to heal our old wounds. I returned to my colony and continued the fight in his name. I took the mark that he wore to honour his ancestors. I spoke to him in my vision quests, but he never answered. Until now.