Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Kilimanjaro isn't an 8km peak though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Seven summits are just the tallest mountains on each Continent.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I forget, which 8000 meter is considered the "easiest"?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

These loving guide companies should be right behind these rich assholes in line for the guillotine.

I'm all for seeing the world and having adventures, but when humans are just making GBS threads all over these places of nature, for no other reason than hubris, it's time to shut it down.

Everest is just "take a number, wait your turn" at this point. "I was the 316th person to summit, you? 328th? Pffft..."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I forget, which 8000 meter is considered the "easiest"?

Cho Oyo I think. It's a pretty open path up and down. There's still people that die from HAPE at way lower than 8k

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
you don't have to get pulmonary edema to die from altitude either; people die of altitude sickness at way the hell less than 8000m. a couple years ago some lady died in her sleep at everest basecamp. young, healthy, no known health problems. just for whatever reason the strain of being alive at 18000 feet set something in motion that led to fatal asphyxia while she was sleeping

and altitude sickness has been documented as low as 3000 feet iirc, though not fatally and with lots of other contributing factors

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

Cho Oyo I think. It's a pretty open path up and down. There's still people that die from HAPE at way lower than 8k

Oh yeah, the altitude doesn't give two shits about how technical the hill is. I posted this back in 2017. Otherwise healthy 20 year old woman dies of altitude sickness on a trail that was between 8000 and 11,000 feet. https://www.aspentimes.com/news/mother-daughter-died-of-acute-altitude-sickness-on-conundrum-trail/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

simplefish posted:

Kilimanjaro isn't an 8km peak though?

Whoops, my bad.

e: Turns out Cho Oyu is overcrowded, too.

quote:

This huge flock of tourist mountaineers caused the Chinese government to ban climbing routes to the summit of Cho Oyu for a year in 2009. Reason was there were simply too many ambitious climbers who had set Cho Oyu as their climbing goal.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 28, 2019

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Kilimanjaro is a hike, not a climb. You still have the same high-altitude problems, but it doesn't weed out non-climbers.

e: Last I read, one third of the people who made it up to the top of K2 didn't make it down. And these were the best of the best.

Well K2 is the bonafide most dangerous mountain in the world to climb and the most dangerous 8km peak.

You actually have to be a skilled mountaineer to even attempt it because there is actual significant technical climbing involved, not just walking up the steep path along the ropes the Sherpa’s laid for you, then up a ladder on the Hillary step.

Everest is literally easy in comparison, where random Canadian ladies actually have a shot of making the summit and then not dying, whereas K2 that same Canadian woman has zero chance of doing either.

Also, since K2 is in Pakistan, there is the legit danger of the Pakistani Taliban trying to kidnap/kill you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yip. Nobody is capable of dragging you up K2.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The hillary step isn’t even there anymore

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
k2 is grueling to even get to, because it's so insanely remote. that's also why its only name is "K2", because neither the tibetans, the nepalese, or anyone else lived close enough to see enough of it to even have a reason to name it. the one or two places it's visible from roads on clear days, it's way in the distance, among other peaks, and mostly obscured. hence the surveyor's mark was literally the first and only recorded name. even the speakers of local languages call it "K2" (now that portaging people's expeditions has given them a reason to refer to the mountain by name) using their language's closest phonetic approximations.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Caught a piece about Everest on CNN. Hit all the usual points with stress on the overcrowding and inexperienced climbers. In their on-site interview, a porter talked about walking past corpses.

There was another piece my parents caught on the local FOX affiliate a few days ago. This season hasn’t been bad imo, but the double-digit deaths are enough to bring some scrutiny to the commercialization of Everest. Maybe the added pressure will result in some changes.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

These loving guide companies should be right behind these rich assholes in line for the guillotine.

I'm all for seeing the world and having adventures, but when humans are just making GBS threads all over these places of nature, for no other reason than hubris, it's time to shut it down.

Everest is just "take a number, wait your turn" at this point. "I was the 316th person to summit, you? 328th? Pffft..."

A relevant Onion from today:

"World Populace Actually Fine With Rich People Dying on Mount Everest"
https://www.theonion.com/world-populace-actually-fine-with-rich-people-dying-on-1835075562

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Really rapid changes in altitude can gently caress you up, if it's faster than your body can adjust. I went from 3000 feet to just shy of 10,000 feet in a couple hours, mostly driving then doing a fairly easy climb, ascending as fast as I could manage. I got sick and disoriented just short of the summit and needed help figuring out how to keep moving. Could have been a disaster if I was solo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What are people calling the Hillary Step now that it isn't a step? The Hillary Incline?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Hillary Queue

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The Killary Queue

Fixed that for you.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Arivia posted:

Fixed that for you.

This is way better than the Cha Cha Slide I was going to suggest

Morbus
May 18, 2004

300-400 people climbing a mountain per year isn't really that big of an impact, all things considered. Denali gets something like 1200 permits and ~400-500 summits per year, for comparison.

If the government of Nepal and guide companies want to bilk rich inexperienced idiots roleplaying as mountaineers I don't have much of a problem with it. If it weren't for them charging 5-6 figures to drag rich idiots up a mountain, those same rich idiots would find a way to get dragged up for 2-3 figures.

The amount of climbers simply (still) isn't large enough for any reasonable quota system to make much of a difference, except as to reduce the number of dead rich idiots. Not sure what compelling reason there is to do that.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Just give them a time allocation to summit and if the weather's poo poo, tough cookies you're rich pay again next season

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Morbus posted:

300-400 people climbing a mountain per year isn't really that big of an impact, all things considered. Denali gets something like 1200 permits and ~400-500 summits per year, for comparison.

If the government of Nepal and guide companies want to bilk rich inexperienced idiots roleplaying as mountaineers I don't have much of a problem with it. If it weren't for them charging 5-6 figures to drag rich idiots up a mountain, those same rich idiots would find a way to get dragged up for 2-3 figures.

The amount of climbers simply (still) isn't large enough for any reasonable quota system to make much of a difference, except as to reduce the number of dead rich idiots. Not sure what compelling reason there is to do that.

denali's climbing season isn't a week long

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, I've seen someone get altitude sickness just from going up to the top of Mauna Kea.
And apparently, you can still just randomly get it in the future even if you were completely fine at altitude before?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

OMGVBFLOL posted:

denali's climbing season isn't a week long

also, not an expert, but I'm guessing that with the summit about 9000 ft lower there's probably not as big a problem with bottlenecks on the final summit push, what makes traffic jams on Everest problematic is that people are getting stuck in the death zone for far too long

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What are people calling the Hillary Step now that it isn't a step? The Hillary Incline?

I think it's still there, it just might have gotten a little crooked.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Aphex- posted:

Grover stairs?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Everest permits are $5, Sherpa permits are $500,000.

driver's licenses are $5

taking the test and insurance is $500,000

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Aphex- posted:

we should probably put it behind a barricade contraption to keep it away from others

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Alan Smithee posted:

we should probably put it behind a barricade contraption to keep it away from others

Get the Nepalese to pay for it too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I am protected.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Have Zip Line Goon build a gondola to the peak

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Alan Smithee posted:

Have Zip Line Goon build a gondola to the peak

Zipline from the top of Everest to the top of K2.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Goon burns up on reentry.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

BobHoward posted:

also, not an expert, but I'm guessing that with the summit about 9000 ft lower there's probably not as big a problem with bottlenecks on the final summit push, what makes traffic jams on Everest problematic is that people are getting stuck in the death zone for far too long

Yeah Denali is only around the height of camp one at Everest. Once you get up to camp four it becomes a race against the clock to get to the summit and back and the timing is a matter of life and death. The oxygen is so low that your body just stops working. Wounds don't heal, you get steadily weaker and dumber by the minute, you become much more susceptible to fatigue, to the cold, to injuries, and to mistakes. After a while you might not even be able to speak in coherent sentences at all. If you take someone from sea level and teleport them to the top of Everest without the weeks/months of acclimatization beforehand, they will most likely lose consciousness and die within a few minutes.

So you need to plan in advance how much time you're gonna spend on the summit push and the oxygen you need to carry for it, and the amount of weight you carry needs to be minimized as much as possible because every extra ounce will feel like a ton once you're up there. Every footstep and breath you take becomes an enormous effort. So you have to keep to a schedule and any delay can lead to people running out of oxygen and dying, or simply collapsing from exhaustion.

I've been reading Into Thin Air recently and it's crazy that more people died this month than during the 1996 disaster and there wasn't even a storm. It looks like they had delays in fixing ropes while cramming everybody into summitting over a narrow three day window, leading to the huge bottlenecks and people running out of oxygen on the lovely, broken outdated equipment those guide companies use to keep costs down.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Ivan Shitskin posted:

So you need to plan in advance how much time you're gonna spend on the summit push and the oxygen you need to carry for it, and the amount of weight you carry needs to be minimized as much as possible because every extra ounce will feel like a ton once you're up there.

Something I read about Everest that really stuck with me (I think it may have been in Into Thin Air actually) was that in an effort to shave off every last little bit of unneeded weight, some of the climbers were cutting their toothbrushes in half.

The amount of gear min/maxing you have to do in order to give yourself the best odds of surviving at that altitude is just mind-boggling.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

normal ordinary hikers not doing alpine hiking cut handles off toothbrushes to save a few grams of weight, that's totally just a hiking-optimization thing.

Like you can go to REI and they are selling tiny toothbrushes, titanium spoons (because a steel spoon is just too heavy!) etc.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If hikers bring toilet paper, they get the kind without a cardboard roll in the middle just to save on the weight. The weight of the cardboard tube.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Zombie Guy posted:

Something I read about Everest that really stuck with me (I think it may have been in Into Thin Air actually) was that in an effort to shave off every last little bit of unneeded weight, some of the climbers were cutting their toothbrushes in half.

The amount of gear min/maxing you have to do in order to give yourself the best odds of surviving at that altitude is just mind-boggling.

Fuckin' weight weenies

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Leperflesh posted:

normal ordinary hikers not doing alpine hiking cut handles off toothbrushes to save a few grams of weight, that's totally just a hiking-optimization thing.

Like you can go to REI and they are selling tiny toothbrushes, titanium spoons (because a steel spoon is just too heavy!) etc.

Honestly the reason people buy titanium spoons is because the SR-71 was made from titanium and so therefore it's a cool spoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

drgitlin posted:

Honestly the reason people buy titanium spoons is because the SR-71 was made from titanium and so therefore it's a cool spoon.

That's why I get things like this. Saving weight isn't too big of a deal, but I also understand that saving a bit of weight on the things you ALWAYS bring can lead to you not feeling as encumbered when you're packing. Lightweight gear bundled up made for a less stressful, more satisfying bike commute, since it can all stay parceled.

My experience with weight saving are in cycling and I'm not an expert either though.