Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Kruller posted:

This does not apply to 2 as there are no ladders.

Good to know. someone mentioned it was better than the original so I grabbed it at the same time since it is/was on sale on psn recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Nohman posted:

Anything for Pathologic 2?

+1 Pathologic 2.

Also since I started already playing, does excessive stamina usage make exhaustion go up? As far as I can tell, the only penalty is increased thirst which is easily medigated.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I notice there is nothing in the wiki about making the camera not hot garbage in Tales of Zesteria :sigh: At least the game itself is fun.

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018
Anything about Starcrawlers? Just got it out of steam sale.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Use free-look every so often, there is stuff like items and switches which require a bit of looking around beyond the 90° angles you get from standard movement.

Can't really think of anything else, sorry.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Anything for Shogun 2 total war? Especially advice for the early campaign stages. I've being playing as the Shimatzu since that was the clan I used in the first game. I keep find myself running into a brick wall after I conquer my first 2-3 provinces where I suddenly see my rivals out produce and out tech me and end up putting my clan into a death spiral.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Chunkystyle posted:

Anything about Starcrawlers? Just got it out of steam sale.
Stuns are insanely good and you should try to have at least one available to your party. Engineer and Hacker have the earliest available stun moves, but Force Psyker has the most powerful one.

Unless you want to grind a lot of side missions (which I couldn't fault you for, they're actually fun), you should probably hire a central party of 4 (3 plus your main character you started with) and level those up instead of hiring additional crawlers early. The units you can hire are always available at your primary character's level, but once you recruit one they only gain XP when you take them with you.

Doing a quick deck-hacking mission will force the store inventories to update. They also make quick money. Your deck will pay for itself and then some if you do this fairly often. It isn't the greatest minigame ever but it's not bad once you get a good menu of programs to use. The fastest ones are those where you only need to blow up two security nodes, most of those can be done in less than 3 minutes with a decent deck.

Each class has a unique ability that it can use for certain encounters/situations, but you can never have all of them available to you at once since you can't go crawling with more than 4 characters. I found Hacker to be the one that comes into play the most often, and it's by a considerable margin. That said, no class is really required.

You can reassign your talents for cheap at the clinic, feel free to play around with them as much as you want - you can always take a side mission that's a level or two below you for an easy ride if you're not sure and just want to test a build.

The randomized white/green gear from the crates in the black market are trash, don't bother - only buy blues.

At certain reputation cutoffs, you'll get favor points from groups that like you - you can spend these to get stuff from them. Check back regularly because additional rewards become available as your reputation goes up and spent favor points replenish over time.

That's all I can think of just off the top of my head without breaking into spoiler territory or just going too in-depth for the purpose of this thread.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 1, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nohman posted:

Anything for Pathologic 2?

It's basically a remake of the first game with the Batchelor and Changeling cut out, so most of the tips there still apply.

Most of the game is figuring things out so I won't spoil that, but the biggest thing you need to learn is how the bartering system works. Items in shops quickly become extremely expensive, so you will get most of your supplies trading to get things to survive. Adults mostly want things like bottled water and actual items, while kids just want anything sharp and handfuls of nuts, which makes them a better trading target. Your primary source of these trading products is trash bins and dumpsters, so go dumpster diving *constantly*, even at the very start of the game when you can still buy things in shops.

Other than that, mostly just go along for the ride and *pay attention to what people say*. You are playing a character from the town so a lot of the lore is intentionally not explained beacuse your character already knows it. This means there will be a lot of words and concepts that you won't get at the start, which is again intentional. You'll find out the answers to what these things are as you play.

If you are super confused, some basic lore: The town has an extremely strong taboo against cutting into bodies for any reason, which you will probably break. Children are not allowed to touch any sharp object at all, which is why they covet needles and scissors. You come from the Steppe, a somewhat nomadic group of people who have pagan beliefs and healing ability. The guys in the blank white masks are the reflection of the person that they are near, or sometimes they are tutorial guides.

Hank Morgan posted:

Anything for Shogun 2 total war? Especially advice for the early campaign stages. I've being playing as the Shimatzu since that was the clan I used in the first game. I keep find myself running into a brick wall after I conquer my first 2-3 provinces where I suddenly see my rivals out produce and out tech me and end up putting my clan into a death spiral.

Hard to say without more details, but I would note that Shogun is pretty strict with their higher tier units compared to other Total War games. As the quality of a unit goes up so does the cost, but the squad size also goes down. One on one they will still take out lesser units, but you can get some good mileage out of just mobbing those units with low cost/high volume units.

Also remember the weakness triangle: spear beats cavalry, cavalry beats sword, sword beats spear. Most early units are spears so if you can get some swords in there it can help a lot.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 1, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hank Morgan posted:

Play to the strength of your clan. You can recruit cheaper Katana units and Samurai are one tier higher than Ashigaru equivalents. Samurai get special heavy armor the Ashigaru never gets and their arrows penetrate more easily. Ashigaru arrows have trouble piercing that armor.

Pay attention to garrison troops you automatically get when your provincial walls get attacked. They are completely expendable in all cases and eat up losses your vets would take in their stead. You build up the forts to get more troops, recruitment slots, replenishment, and archer towers that automatically fire on the enemy, and that eats up one more food for each upgrade. That don't get a bonus from your clan.

Try to have two cavalry units attack an isolated enemy that is NEVER EVER a Yari spear unit and have the one facing their back at full charge for heavy damage and immediately have them disengage to cut losses. That charge is used up and you are only going to lose troops by having them melee. When that enemy is chasing those horses, have your other cavalry charge for full damage in their back and repeat.

Places with trade routes you take over give you lots of money if you can build multiple trade ships for them. Ten is the most per trading spot, but each one gives lesser returns. I wouldn't really bother with the fancy ships and stick to the smalls and medium ships to absorb enemy navies.

Building up provinces with upgraded buildings that eat food are newbie traps. Food determines growth for each province, per turn, and you should only construct foodie buildings (upgraded) when you have Metsuke (build markets) who can settle and increase income. It is smart to have five of your richest provinces have all of the hungry buildings with five experienced Metsuke with the income growth skills to settle them for the rest of the game. It is a dumb mechanic, since those buildings make lots of money and eat your food, while your excess food provide the same growth when you get one or ten provinces. If you take a province that eats up more food than what you are storing, you will starve your clan.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 1, 2019

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anything for Mafia III? PS4 if it matters.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Hank Morgan posted:

We had Shogun II-chat a couple pages back.

If you're getting overwhelmed by the enemy, you might not have enough armies. Try making your armies out of ashigaru, with maybe a few samurai and cavalry for flanking. A unit of yari ashigari, standing still in spear wall formation, will beat anything that attacks them from the front (except arrows+bullets, but you have archers and cavalry to fix that problem).

If you want to make money, concentrate markets and pubs into a few towns (ideally the ones that already make a lot of money, due to long sustained economic growth, or containing a unique building). Recruit some metsuke agents, and park them in those towns; once they level up a little you can spec them into raising tax income. Also, the Shimazu start near all the trade nodes at the edge of the map; park trade ships on them, and they'll generate easy money forever.

I'm not sure what you mean by out-tech, it's hard to do that in S2. Are you fighting the Otomo? Because they start with guns, it's their thing. I wouldn't worry about it, guns are decent, but not enough to make normal units obsolete. Anyway, it's impossible to do the entire tech tree; you need to pick a few key lines and focus on them.

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018

Fenrir posted:

Stuns are insanely good and you should try to have at least one available to your party. Engineer and Hacker have the earliest available stun moves, but Force Psyker has the most powerful one.

Unless you want to grind a lot of side missions (which I couldn't fault you for, they're actually fun), you should probably hire a central party of 4 (3 plus your main character you started with) and level those up instead of hiring additional crawlers early. The units you can hire are always available at your primary character's level, but once you recruit one they only gain XP when you take them with you.

Doing a quick deck-hacking mission will force the store inventories to update. They also make quick money. Your deck will pay for itself and then some if you do this fairly often. It isn't the greatest minigame ever but it's not bad once you get a good menu of programs to use. The fastest ones are those where you only need to blow up two security nodes, most of those can be done in less than 3 minutes with a decent deck.

Each class has a unique ability that it can use for certain encounters/situations, but you can never have all of them available to you at once since you can't go crawling with more than 4 characters. I found Hacker to be the one that comes into play the most often, and it's by a considerable margin. That said, no class is really required.

You can reassign your talents for cheap at the clinic, feel free to play around with them as much as you want - you can always take a side mission that's a level or two below you for an easy ride if you're not sure and just want to test a build.

The randomized white/green gear from the crates in the black market are trash, don't bother - only buy blues.

At certain reputation cutoffs, you'll get favor points from groups that like you - you can spend these to get stuff from them. Check back regularly because additional rewards become available as your reputation goes up and spent favor points replenish over time.

That's all I can think of just off the top of my head without breaking into spoiler territory or just going too in-depth for the purpose of this thread.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

1redflag posted:

Anything for Mafia III? PS4 if it matters.
It’s relatively straightforward but once you get to a place in the story where you can improve your standing with the Italian Mafia you should prioritize doing so. They give you a lady in a car who can bank your money on the move instead of having to go back to the safe. The Irish Mafia gives you car dropoffs which are also very helpful as early as possible.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mafia 3: the first tier of upgrades on each LT is game changing, every tier beyond that is aight I guess. Enjoy KKK murder simulator 1968.

The DLCs are W I L D, especially if you've seen Broken Arrow.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Jimmy Stewart or John Travolta?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So... I recently went back to try to play Fallout New Vegas again after I had put it down for years. I loved Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 but I never really got into New Vegas that much. So yesterday I tried to give it another shot and I am suddenly reminded about why I stopped playing it.

I always hear people say it's their favorite but I feel like I am being railroaded into doing the main quest. Every time I went off the main quest path, there would either be Deathclaws or Cazadors to ensure that I couldn't or shouldn't explore.

I just made it to Freeside and helped out the King a little bit, but I have no idea if this is the time I can actually free roam a bit or do I have to do the main quest before doing side content? Also, the random Legionaires are kicking my rear end due to me not having armor piercing stuff I guess.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The only thing you really need to know is that going North from Goodsprings is a bitch and a half. You aren't forced to do the main quest first in any capacity, it just guides you along what the game considers its natural route of progression. Take the Southern route and you are free to go wherever you want pretty much whenever you want, there's plenty of side questing to be done along the way.

You can basically ignore the main quest altogether if you feel like it, although it really gives a very pleasant sense of progression if you just pick those quests up and do them roughly in the order that the game presents them to you.

In all fairness, the game might just not be for you. The story and game route is far more structured than Fallout 3 was, which is part of why a lot of people liked it better. Fallout 3 was more open, but it was also comparatively chaotic and a bit directionless. NV tries to do more of a classic RPG experience.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah NV is put together with a structure similar to old Fallouts or CRPGs, where there is a solid direction you are meant to take with side quests along the way.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cardiovorax posted:

The only thing you really need to know is that going North from Goodsprings is a bitch and a half. You aren't forced to do the main quest first in any capacity, it just guides you along what the game considers its natural route of progression. Take the Southern route and you are free to go wherever you want pretty much whenever you want, there's plenty of side questing to be done along the way.

You can basically ignore the main quest altogether if you feel like it, although it really gives a very pleasant sense of progression if you just pick those quests up and do them roughly in the order that the game presents them to you.

In all fairness, the game might just not be for you. The story and game route is far more structured than Fallout 3 was, which is part of why a lot of people liked it better. Fallout 3 was more open, but it was also comparatively chaotic and a bit directionless. NV tries to do more of a classic RPG experience.

I think you did a good job of explaining why I liked 3 better than NV, though I never really had realized until now that's what it was. I liked them both, but I always thought 3 was the superior game and couldn't really explain why beyond it just felt better to walk around in.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd say the game wants you to get to follow the main quest while doing town quests for the towns along that path til it takes you to New Vegas and then pretty much right after you start doing stuff there is when it feels appropriate to do side quests. That just means it makes more sense from a narrative perspective, though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd say the game wants you to get to follow the main quest while doing town quests for the towns along that path til it takes you to New Vegas and then pretty much right after you start doing stuff there is when it feels appropriate to do side quests. That just means it makes more sense from a narrative perspective, though.

Fallout 3 starts the plot off with "lol go explore or whatever, find your dad somewhere", while NV is "FIND THE MAN WHO LEFT YOU FOR DEAD", so yeah one is gonna have a more driving plot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lol if you don't head straight North out of goodsprings and stubbornly sneak to new Vegas asap to bankrupt the tables and buy intelligence cyberware at level 1 in order to finish the game with 100 in every skill

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you follow the main quest, explore the towns and nearby areas it takes you to, by the time you make it to New Vegas you've meet all the major factions and gangs, accrued enough caps and equipment to hold your own, and filled out a decent portion of the map for fast travel convenience.

After that, you can spend 40+ hours roaming around, deciding which factions to help or hurt, finding the local Brotherhood bunker to steal everything they have, exploring the old vaults, hunting for legendary weapons, etc pretty much anything you want. Like FO3 once you get good power armor your only real threats are swarms of death claws.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Anything for Dauntless? There's lots of types of armour and weapons to craft and upgrade, and I'm wondering if any stand out as the best to focus on. Also, any tips on being overpowered in hunts are appreciated.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zaodai posted:

I think you did a good job of explaining why I liked 3 better than NV, though I never really had realized until now that's what it was. I liked them both, but I always thought 3 was the superior game and couldn't really explain why beyond it just felt better to walk around in.
Mh, yeah, it's something that will vary a lot by personal taste. I enjoy the more curated-but-still-open game experience of New Vegas, but if what you like about Fallout 3 is specifically that it doesn't do this, then NV will appeal less.

Fallout 4, however, will likely be much more enjoyable to anyone who really liked Fallout 3. They are designed along very similar lines.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Cardiovorax posted:

Fallout 4, however, will likely be much more enjoyable to anyone who really liked Fallout 4. They are designed very similarly.

:thunk:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't know what you're referring to, that's clearly not what I posted and that's the story I'm sticking to.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cardiovorax posted:

Even if you follow the intended route ( the J shaped corridor south, east, north, then a little west) then there are still several areas that punish you for going too far off piste. There were several instances of "Huh, whats that I see over there... I'll just go over the crest of that hill and have a look.... WHERE DID ALL THESE loving CAZADORES COME FROM?". Off the top of my head (its been loving years) there was a wind farm looking place you can see from a road, and roadhouse which was itself fine, but the hills behind it were hoaching with bugs. There are several sidequest stops along the way where the game is fine about you going over and having a look, but its super tetchy about exactly how far you go off the main route and where.

I liked New Vegas, but if blackguy32 is bouncing off it because of this I totally understand why. I ended up just putting my head down and powering through until I delivered the chip, after that you can pretty much go whereever and do whatever. You will still occasionally run into surprise groups of oddly high level insects and stuff, but by that point you probably have better weapons and high enough skills to blow their wings off at a safe distance.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know what you're referring to, that's clearly not what I posted and that's the story I'm sticking to.

Fallout 4 was the tragic result of an exec hearing about Minecraft and insisting they make a version of it a major part of 4.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Even if you follow the intended route ( the J shaped corridor south, east, north, then a little west) then there are still several areas that punish you for going too far off piste. There were several instances of "Huh, whats that I see over there... I'll just go over the crest of that hill and have a look.... WHERE DID ALL THESE loving CAZADORES COME FROM?".
That's a fair complaint, but I consider that kind of thing part of the appeal. I'm not personally a friend of the whole homogenized "dynamic leveling" thing, so I prefer it when there are a few hard zones like this that make coming back a few levels taller worth it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cardiovorax posted:

That's a fair complaint, but I consider that kind of thing part of the appeal. I'm not personally a friend of the whole homogenized "dynamic leveling" thing, so I prefer it when there are a few hard zones like this that make coming back a few levels taller worth it.

I feel like if you are going to do the "there are high level areas of the map" (which is a totally valid game design choice) it should ideally be a sliding scale. As you move towards the high level area things should get gradually tougher to give you plenty of opportunity to realise "poo poo... This is probably not smart., I'll come back later". NV seemed to at times have it as a binary "get bugfucked by cazadores y/n?" which you activated by crossing an invisible boundary at the wrong point. Witcher 3 (another game I really liked for the record) suffered from this too in that there werent high level zones as such, but there were a lot of low level quests which would take you right by areas where ridiculously high level monsters were guarding treasure or whatever. Annoyed me less in Witcher 3 because I feel like if you ran like gently caress everything stopped chasing you after a short distance, while in NV the bugs could be really tenacious about following you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, they also just kind of plain screwed up with the difficulty at times, admittedly. Cazadors in particular are somehow just way more dangerous than anything else in the same level range. The sheer lethality of those things was a major meme for a while, if I remember correctly. No game is perfect, I guess.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any tips for Grim Dawn that aren't in the Wiki, especially regarding classes? Any combination that is particularly fun? I have the Ashes of Malmouth DLC. I'm mainly interested in beating the main game, not getting hardcore with post-game content or whatever, so I guess I can wing it on skills and etc. without gimping myself too hard, right?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Any tips for Grim Dawn that aren't in the Wiki, especially regarding classes? Any combination that is particularly fun? I have the Ashes of Malmouth DLC.
Anything with Inquisitor in it currently works very well.

Have you played Titan Quest? If so, then you will be familiar with the kind of playstyle the game is meant for, they run on the same engine and the same basic design principles. You will often not want to level a single skill up too far, because cooldowns and energy costs can increase more quickly than you are able to support in the field. You are then supposed to push this back to tolerable levels with equipment etc. Don't be afraid to experiment, though. You can always respec your last couple of skill points in the hub, for a fairly affordable amount of money.

An important mechanic to keep in mind is the constellation system. When you pick a constellation, make sure you get all of it, because that will unlock a special effect that you can attach to one of your active skills, which will often make them substantially more powerful than they normally are. You get more constellation points by finding shrines in-game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have begun playing Void Bastards

It seems that staplers to the face are ideal for Spooks. I have no idea how many damage upgrades I will need for screws.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

KirbyKhan posted:

I have begun playing Void Bastards

It seems that staplers to the face are ideal for Spooks. I have no idea how many damage upgrades I will need for screws.

The trick with the Spooks is to shoot when their glowing chest is revealed. Even a pistol will do heavy damage to them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Something for Death Road to Canada: some fairly common weapons in the game are unbreakable, so if you find one you like, you can carry it without worrying about backups.

Hammers, wrenches, tire irons, frying pans, and pipes are the most common ones I seem to find, it took me a few runs to realize that they’d never break.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

blackguy32 posted:

I just made it to Freeside and helped out the King a little bit, but I have no idea if this is the time I can actually free roam a bit or do I have to do the main quest before doing side content? Also, the random Legionaires are kicking my rear end due to me not having armor piercing stuff I guess.

Yeah, you're pretty much right at the point where things start to really open up. If you haven't already you're going to begin getting quests that send you all over the place, to pretty much all four corners of the map. I'd stick with it a little longer to see if it clicks.

Ironically, my playthrough of NV stalled out at exactly that point because I was enjoying the mostly-linear stuff and then got choice paralysis when all the quests started rolling in. Never went back to it (yet)...then I got into Skyrim and then Fallout 4 and went nuts for 'em.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, you're pretty much right at the point where things start to really open up. If you haven't already you're going to begin getting quests that send you all over the place, to pretty much all four corners of the map. I'd stick with it a little longer to see if it clicks.

Ironically, my playthrough of NV stalled out at exactly that point because I was enjoying the mostly-linear stuff and then got choice paralysis when all the quests started rolling in. Never went back to it (yet)...then I got into Skyrim and then Fallout 4 and went nuts for 'em.

It has started to open up a bit for me. I did Vault 34 and got an actual weapon that isn't garbage against armor so things are progressing a bit better.

Tried to fight the deathclaws at the quarry again. Got my rear end kicked again. What weapons are good against them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

blackguy32 posted:

It has started to open up a bit for me. I did Vault 34 and got an actual weapon that isn't garbage against armor so things are progressing a bit better.

Tried to fight the deathclaws at the quarry again. Got my rear end kicked again. What weapons are good against them?

A sniper rifle with AP ammo, preferably the .50 cal variety.