Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A lot of this stems back to the Iraq war vote. Congress is loving terrified of being held accountable for their lovely decisions and the Iraq vote cost a lot of people their seats. So when there was an opportunity to hand over some power to the executive they did it, so they can point the fingers at the executive branch and provided it wasn't too close to an election would be largely safe. Except now it's like having given a loaded gun to an angry small child and being shocked at the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Syrian Lannister posted:

Bigly President had Dow down almost 300 thanks to Mexican tariff talks

The Dow drops 300 points like 12 times a week now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Vasudus posted:

A lot of this stems back to the Iraq war vote. Congress is loving terrified of being held accountable for their lovely decisions and the Iraq vote cost a lot of people their seats. So when there was an opportunity to hand over some power to the executive they did it, so they can point the fingers at the executive branch and provided it wasn't too close to an election would be largely safe. Except now it's like having given a loaded gun to an angry small child and being shocked at the result.

Perhaps a good argument for term limits in Congress.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

psydude posted:

Perhaps a good argument for term limits in Congress.

They have those. It’s called voting.

I know there’s a lot of reasons why “voting” doesn’t solve the problem because of poo poo like gerrymandering and voter suppression, which also need to be fixed. But won’t because of the people who never get voted out.

Our system is a joke and term limits would just lead to other abuses, since I don’t think it will actually fix anything if you don’t fix everything else.

colachute fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 31, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
No-balls Congressfucker John Ratcliffe cosponsored HR 553 yesterday, along with two others who wanted to jump onto the bandwagon. The total number of cosponsors is now 327. The newcomers are:

Rep. Golden, Jared F. [D-ME-2] 05/30/2019
Rep. Zeldin, Lee M. [R-NY-1] 05/30/2019
Rep. Ratcliffe, John [R-TX-4] 05/30/2019

The losers who haven't signed on yet are:

Alabama: 4th, 6th
Arizona: 5th, 6th, 9th
California: 2nd, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th, 33rd, 34th, 35th, 43rd, 45th, 50th
Florida: 3rd, 11th, 19th, 23rd, 27th
Georgia: 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, 14th
Idaho: 1st
Illinois: 3rd, 5th, 8th, 9th, 14th, 16th, 18th
Indiana: 1st, 6th, 9th
Kansas: 3rd, 4th
Kentucky: 4th, 5th
Louisiana: 3rd, 6th
Maryland: 5th
Massachusetts: 7th, 9th
Michigan: 3rd, 13th
Minnesota: 5th, 6th
Mississippi: 2nd, 3rd
Missouri: 6th
Nebraska: 1st, 3rd
New Hampshire: 2nd
New Jersey: 9th
New Mexico: 3rd
New York: 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 19th, 23rd, 25th
North Carolina: 1st, 5th, 6th, 10th
Ohio: 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 16th
Oklahoma: 3rd, 5th
Oregon: 3rd
Pennsylvania: 4th, 9th, 10th, 11th
South Carolina: 6th
South Dakota: You only have the one
Texas: 3rd, 7th, 9th, 13th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 27th, 29th, 30th
Washington: 9th
Wisconsin: 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

There is no change in the Senate.

John Ratcliffe is still a coward.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What about his balls

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

What about his balls

Can't talk about something that never existed.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

One of my coworkers today started talking unprompted about how the US should just annex Mexico because they aren’t able to govern themselves and have lots of natural resources we can take. I made up a meeting I had to go to. Is that an idea going around?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hell yes do it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Xenoborg posted:

One of my coworkers today started talking unprompted about how the US should just annex Mexico because they aren’t able to govern themselves and have lots of natural resources we can take. I made up a meeting I had to go to. Is that an idea going around?

Play to their innate racism. Tell them to think real hard about the question you're about to ask: Do they really want to export the second amendment and minimum wage to Mexico while simultaneously erasing the border?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Xenoborg posted:

Since at least 1846, when the US invaded Mexico and took the whole Southwest in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 31, 2019

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

shame on an IGA posted:

Play to their innate racism. Tell them to think real hard about the question you're about to ask: Do they really want to export the second amendment and minimum wage to Mexico while simultaneously erasing the border?

Nah, there's no way they're thinking in those terms. The pretty resort parts and the spaces with natural resources will be administered ("settled" if you will) and the remaining people will get treated like Palestinians with limited/no rights or representation

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

What about his balls

What balls?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

shame on an IGA posted:

Wouldn't it be better to ask "Do you really want 120 million more Latinos who will likely vote for the Democrats?"?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
On the other hand, if we took over Mexico, there would be less wall to build on the new southern border.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Torrannor posted:

Wouldn't it be better to ask "Do you really want 120 million more Latinos who will likely vote for the Democrats?"?

America doesn't do great with suffering it's conquered to have a voice.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

McNally posted:

No-balls Congressfucker John Ratcliffe cosponsored HR 553 yesterday, along with two others who wanted to jump onto the bandwagon. The total number of cosponsors is now 327. The newcomers are:

Rep. Golden, Jared F. [D-ME-2] 05/30/2019
Rep. Zeldin, Lee M. [R-NY-1] 05/30/2019
Rep. Ratcliffe, John [R-TX-4] 05/30/2019

The losers who haven't signed on yet are:

Alabama: 4th, 6th
Arizona: 5th, 6th, 9th
California: 2nd, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th, 33rd, 34th, 35th, 43rd, 45th, 50th
Florida: 3rd, 11th, 19th, 23rd, 27th
Georgia: 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th, 14th
Idaho: 1st
Illinois: 3rd, 5th, 8th, 9th, 14th, 16th, 18th
Indiana: 1st, 6th, 9th
Kansas: 3rd, 4th
Kentucky: 4th, 5th
Louisiana: 3rd, 6th
Maryland: 5th
Massachusetts: 7th, 9th
Michigan: 3rd, 13th
Minnesota: 5th, 6th
Mississippi: 2nd, 3rd
Missouri: 6th
Nebraska: 1st, 3rd
New Hampshire: 2nd
New Jersey: 9th
New Mexico: 3rd
New York: 5th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 19th, 23rd, 25th
North Carolina: 1st, 5th, 6th, 10th
Ohio: 2nd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 16th
Oklahoma: 3rd, 5th
Oregon: 3rd
Pennsylvania: 4th, 9th, 10th, 11th
South Carolina: 6th
South Dakota: You only have the one
Texas: 3rd, 7th, 9th, 13th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 27th, 29th, 30th
Washington: 9th
Wisconsin: 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

There is no change in the Senate.

John Ratcliffe is still a coward.

Maryland 5th is Hoyer and a lost loving cause. I'm just knocking on doors for McKayla Wilkes instead to straight up vote the fucker out. Something I highly encourage everyone in the DC area to do. If she can take down Hoyer and put HIS scalp on the wall next to AOC's trophy then some mother fuckers are going to be god drat terrified of the progressive base and will start doing the poo poo we need just to cover their own asses out of political sense of survival.

Her campaign kickoff event is next Saturday. Phone posting, PM me if you want phone numbers to call to register for door knocking or check her web site.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They finally dragged Steny Hoyer kicking and screaming onto the DC Statehood train, maybe they can draw and quarter him as a sacrifice to HR 553

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Vasudus posted:

I don't have the time to collect my sources from poo poo I've been reading this week, but there's some insanely bad poo poo going on right now with global crops. There's been record crop failures in central/southern america this year due to climate issues. In the US, a huge amount of corn and soy hasn't been planted yet - and the insurance for those crops expires this month, as in today. The absolutely bonkers weather has caused record crop damage, crop failures, and just overall delays in production. Then you add in the fact that global trade has been hosed all year due to tariffs and things are gonna get real bad for people that can't afford to take the hit - on both the production and consumption side.

FAO estimates that we have roughly 60 years of topsoil (the stuff that crops are planted in) left before it erodes away, becomes too salty/depleted, etc. When you take this into the context of climate change and what joys that will bring, it is evident that we are living through the last good days this planet has.

I’m not trying to sound Malthusian here, but humans may be good at recognizing and dealing with acute threats but absolutely loving horrible at dealing with slow-moving ones. Think of the frog in the pot of water, except replace frog with “humanity” and pot of water with “the world’s oceans and resources.”

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/357059/icode/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Torrannor posted:

Bring back slavery for anyone failing a paper bag test. Bing-bong so easy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mexico is pretty conservative iirc

also hella catholics who hate abortion

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

mexico is pretty conservative iirc

also hella catholics who hate abortion

Yeah but brown.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio posted:

No. In fact the AF is reactiving the 65th Aggressor Squadron, which will fly F-35s.

What problems are you referring to?

Robin Olds wrote about it in his book. I can't remember the exacts but they had higher problems of incidents due to pilots trying to push the planes well past what they are supposed to do because well, they are the same plane. Also that the training value was much less due to... training against the same drat aircraft.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

FAO estimates that we have roughly 60 years of topsoil (the stuff that crops are planted in) left before it erodes away, becomes too salty/depleted, etc. When you take this into the context of climate change and what joys that will bring, it is evident that we are living through the last good days this planet has.

I’m not trying to sound Malthusian here, but humans may be good at recognizing and dealing with acute threats but absolutely loving horrible at dealing with slow-moving ones. Think of the frog in the pot of water, except replace frog with “humanity” and pot of water with “the world’s oceans and resources.”

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/357059/icode/

All i'm hearing is "I don't love profit, Jesus and America". In that order. Maybe. The last two might need to be switched. What are you, some sort of commie

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LingcodKilla posted:

Bring back slavery for anyone failing a paper bag test. Bing-bong so easy.

It cannot be overstated enough how utterly cool with slavery these types are. The reason why they're so vociferous in going to bat for the CSA is because they literally don't see slavery as a bad thing. Given that, one could draw their own conclusions about their willingness to go to bat for Nazi germany...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

In theory this isnt the worst idea. The US could have spent the last few decades working to develop Mexico rather than seeing it as a limitless pool of cheap labor. By now there could have been enough of an economic and cultural union to expand a North American EU-style organization like they did with eastern Europe.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mass shooting in VA Beach, according to cnn on my tv. Just a sec.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/suspect-custody-active-shooter-situation-virginia-beach-n1012646

No specifics yet.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 31, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ded posted:

Robin Olds wrote about it in his book. I can't remember the exacts but they had higher problems of incidents due to pilots trying to push the planes well past what they are supposed to do because well, they are the same plane. Also that the training value was much less due to... training against the same drat aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissimilar_air_combat_training

DACT has been doctrine since the infamous first "dogfighting? what's that" days over Vietnam for many, many reasons, most of all to get the pilot used to countering another plane's strengths with your own.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

While I doubt my angry phone call to his office did anything, I will take credit for lending him balls.
Since Rep. Ratcliffe was born lacking testes.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mass shooting in VA Beach, according to cnn on my tv. Just a sec.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/suspect-custody-active-shooter-situation-virginia-beach-n1012646

No specifics yet.

12 dead so far

https://twitter.com/PMBreakingNews/...ingawful.com%2F

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Current event: my sister is pinning on Chief in the USCGR tomorrow (yeah yeah lol she is still in but I get to be happy for her so smdftb).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BUG JUG posted:

Current event: my sister is pinning on Chief in the USCGR tomorrow (yeah yeah lol she is still in but I get to be happy for her so smdftb).

Nice!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The coast guard reservists I’ve dealt with were pretty cool so good on her.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/Trillburne/status/1134565544999424000?s=19

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

I don't think I have the ability to process this one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

how the gently caress do you go from "4 injured, suspect in custody" to "12 dead, including suspect"

loving reporters

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

NYPD showed up to help?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

If you murder enough people do you stop being gay? Asking for my friend Jeffrey.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

this still makes me laugh every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!