Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Leperflesh posted:

normal ordinary hikers not doing alpine hiking cut handles off toothbrushes to save a few grams of weight, that's totally just a hiking-optimization thing.

Like you can go to REI and they are selling tiny toothbrushes, titanium spoons (because a steel spoon is just too heavy!) etc.

cosplaying as A Pro Thing-Doer is major among people who Do Thing as a hobby; it doesn't mean there isn't a reason the pros do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/EW/status/1133497352885604353

A celebrity who gets it.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i like that the headline implies that she is either about to die or she is somehow responsible for their deaths

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

She's apparently also hiked Kilimanjaro so she's definitely far more prepared and sensible about Everest than most of the idiots trying for the summit.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Exactly how hard is the trek to base camp? Are there any risks? Because that sounds pretty loving awesome to do, honestly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AWarmBody posted:

Exactly how hard is the trek to base camp? Are there any risks? Because that sounds pretty loving awesome to do, honestly.

https://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/asia/mount-everest-base-camp-trek.html

This trip is rated Strenuous [5]. Participants should be strong, experienced hikers in good physical condition, comfortable hiking 5-6 hours daily over uneven, rocky and frequently steep terrain. Trip members should have prior experience camping and sleeping in a tent for multiple nights. No technical climbing or other special abilities are required.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

AWarmBody posted:

Exactly how hard is the trek to base camp? Are there any risks?

I'm pretty sure there is a risk of getting altitude sickness, if you're unlucky and have below average genes for that or something. Also in 2015 an avalanche killed at least 19 people there.

I think there are other places in the world that are at the same altitude but road-accessible, I always figured if I was going to go to base camp I'd like to visit somewhere else of the same altitude first, so if I'm prone to altitude sickness I can get driven back down in a hurry.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Whenever i get too high up in altitude i need to have a beer to soothe the old nerves

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Buttcoin purse posted:

I think there are other places in the world that are at the same altitude but road-accessible, I always figured if I was going to go to base camp I'd like to visit somewhere else of the same altitude first, so if I'm prone to altitude sickness I can get driven back down in a hurry.

I checked base camp's altitude, and it looks like it is 17,600' above sea level.

The highest I have ever been is Mt Elbert at 14,440'. I took 3 days to get used to Colorado's altitude before doing that hike. Just a quick google says Everest Base camp is a 10 day hike in from the airport.

So... uh... it's still pretty impressive in and of itself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

drgitlin posted:

Honestly the reason people buy titanium spoons is because the SR-71 was made from titanium and so therefore it's a cool spoon.

Brain: titanium spoon

Bigger brain: plastic spoon

Galaxy brain: sticks found on the trail

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sticks you find on the trail but then break in half to save weight.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Cojawfee posted:

Sticks you find on the trail but then break in half to save weight.

Your hands, but with the fingers cut off to save weight frostbite.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Val Helmethead posted:

Your hands, but with the fingers cut off to save weight frostbite.

I like this. More Everest climbers should take tips from Canadian refugees.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Buttcoin purse posted:

I spent a week or so in Cuzco, Peru. I would tire easily and couldn't draw a deep, satisfying breath. Everest base camp is 2000m higher. No trekking there for me :(

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Eight missing on Nanda Devi after an avalanche.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/01/three-britons-among-group-missing-after-himalayan-avalanche

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The Guardian has an in depth article about Everest's death toll this year.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cojawfee posted:

This trip is rated Strenuous [5]. Participants should be strong, experienced hikers in good physical condition, comfortable hiking 5-6 hours daily over uneven, rocky and frequently steep terrain. Trip members should have prior experience camping and sleeping in a tent for multiple nights. No technical climbing or other special abilities are required.

This is essentially what I do for fun here, just tale a week off work and go march through the mountains with my life on my back, but there's a 10,000' altitude difference. I'm used to doing this at 7000-8000'. I'd love to do the trek someday, but I'd definitely take it easy due to the altitude and make sure I acclimatize well leading up to it.

I would never do Everest even though I've taken a mountaineering course and enjoy acheiving summits. I may hate myself, but not that much.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
After doing the Annapurna Circuit I fell in love with the Himalayas and now am planning to go back in the next year or two to do the Three Passes trek. It's basically an Everest Base Camp trek except where the regular one is a there and back trek, the three passes is a loop that goes over three high passes (duh) and meets EBC in the middle. It looks absolutely stunning and I just cannot stop thinking about it.

On the AC I didn't find the altitude too bad. It definitely gets noticeable when you're up over 5000m but we had been on the trail for about 10 days by that point so had acclimatised pretty well. It's very weird though, when you're that high up, every step tires you out and within like 10 paces you feel like you've just run 5 miles. Take 30 seconds to catch your breath though and you're absolutely fine again, like nothing's happened.

Anyone who is not completely out of shape and doesn't have any lingering health issues can absolutely do the EBC trek though. 5-6 hours hiking every day isn't bad at all and while you're tired each evening, it's not that strenuous.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I crouch on a ledge, eating my trail mix and staring at the tourists walking by. They don't know what I've been through. I had to abandon my baby carriage yesterday, about five miles in. I'm running out of water, and as I look down at my body, covered in bruises and scrapes, I wonder what I'm even doing to myself?

Staggering towards the family hanging out near the rest area and ignoring the look of horror on their faces, I get them to call me an Uber home

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

The hike to base camp is more about altitude acclimatization than anything else. You don't cover many miles per day, you generally sleep in tea houses/actual structures, and gain ~1-2k ft. Sleep. Repeat.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ante posted:

I crouch on a ledge, eating my trail mix and staring at the tourists walking by. They don't know what I've been through. I had to abandon my baby carriage yesterday, about five miles in. I'm running out of water, and as I look down at my body, covered in bruises and scrapes, I wonder what I'm even doing to myself?

Staggering towards the family hanging out near the rest area and ignoring the look of horror on their faces, I get them to call me an Uber home

I really could go for a handful of GORP right now

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

ante posted:

I miss that guy. I was torn between telling him not to be an idiot and watching him livestream his slow death by dehydration on an access road three miles outside of town.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Not sure of the reference. Was that the goon who was going to hike cross-country while being hilariously unprepared and who ultimately didn't make it out of his own city?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Yes. To “raise awareness” of “mental health issues.”

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

High Lord Elbow posted:

Yes. To “raise awareness” of “mental health issues.”

You can't say it didn't work.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
That reminded me, I drew a picture of that guy. God that was an amazing thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

What was he dragging stuff around in? I thought it was a grocery cart or something absolutely stupid like that.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

What was he dragging stuff around in? I thought it was a grocery cart or something absolutely stupid like that.

I want to say it was a jogging stroller but I might be remembering incorrectly

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A three-wheeled push-cart from Wal*Mart.

He was from socal, but took a bus up to the bay area to start his trip from some coastal state park or another. I wanna say marin headlands maybe? Anyway his cart, as predicted, fell apart after two miles on state park trails, and he abandoned it, so his trip began with littering. Then, he ran out of energy and felt sick, possibly because he was an extremely picky eater and was trying to survive on nothing but raisins. He hung out at a ranger station for like a day and then called his mom.

His plan had been to hike alone across the desert southwest during summer, pushing a $20 walmart cart full of like $100 of walmart gear, with zero hiking experience, a person who only eats like hamburgers, pizza, and raisins, and this was going to cure his depression. It was sad in a way, because of his mental illness, but he was also doing classic goon-in-a-well poo poo, aggressively rejecting advice etc and refused to listen to the litany of people telling him that he needed therapy.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

shame on an IGA posted:

I really could go for a handful of GORP right now

Every time I have a minor injury, I always confuse RICE and GORP, so when a sprain or whatever happens I always remember to GORP: Good Old RICE and Peanuts

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Here's the thread for anyone who wants a refresher.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
"Raising Awareness" is one of the most annoying catch terms to come about. The gently caress does that even mean? How do you measure the results of it? How does a guy walking across the country by himself do that?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It doesn't mean or accomplish anything. Just like "climbing Mount Everest to raise awareness of anal fissures" or "selling overpriced pink garbage to raise awareness of breast cancer" it's not actually about anal fissures or breast cancer, it's about coming up with a justification for doing the thing you already want to do so that you are a Morally Good person for doing it and nobody is allowed to criticize you.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Rondette posted:

That reminded me, I drew a picture of that guy. God that was an amazing thread.

btw I forgot to say, that's a beautiful picture :)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Destro posted:

"Raising Awareness" is one of the most annoying catch terms to come about. The gently caress does that even mean? How do you measure the results of it? How does a guy walking across the country by himself do that?

again, did it not work?

as far as dumb but awesome deaths go, snowboard frenchie off the peak of everest is the way to go

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Meanwhile, on Piestewa Peak

https://twitter.com/FOX10Phoenix/status/1135985034857345024

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Alan Smithee posted:

again, did it not work?

as far as dumb but awesome deaths go, snowboard frenchie off the peak of everest is the way to go

It made me aware that he was an idiot and I never would have seen the cool drawing otherwise.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Destro posted:

it comes from the campaigns to get women doing self-exams and mammograms to increase early detection of breast cancer. and it was wildly successful, because awarness of the issue was what was missing, because our culture dgaf about womens' health

then marketing departments saw how successful that campaign was and coopted the language so they could hitch their brands to charitable causes because :capitalism:

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Haifisch posted:

Here's the thread for anyone who wants a refresher.

That was quite the wild ride, and I thank you for brightening my day.