Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Heads up for poor Tahoe people like me, Squaw is doing $5 Fridays all through June. Considering they’ve gotten two feet of snow in the last week, that sounds like a pretty great deal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Breck is open the following two weekends past memorial day now. June 9th is the new closing day. Sound like they are dropping down to only Independence chair for those extended weekends.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

Breck is open the following two weekends past memorial day now. June 9th is the new closing day. Sound like they are dropping down to only Independence chair for those extended weekends.

Only Independence will be garbage unfortunately. You need the fun terrain up high.

Should be there Saturday though!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Despite having plenty of snow, Telluride will remain closed for elk calving.

I did get to go ripping around the resort on a snowmobile today though. That was good.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

Only Independence will be garbage unfortunately. You need the fun terrain up high.

Should be there Saturday though!

Yeah, hopefully they can keep peak 6 up and running.

We have and to go camping this weekend, but the weather is making that sound horrible.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Meadows cancelled operations for the weekend because of the weather. So I'll be camping in some less than ideal weather, but gently caress it, I'm gonna be out in the woods and that's almost as good and playing snowboards.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lmao, this is crazy

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sweet sweet. Hitting Breck tomorrow. Woo

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Lmao, this is crazy

They ain't closing this year. It's all hands on deck.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

How are the conditions there? I know that the snow conditions at Mt. Hood on the last few days of the season were just too sticky and not fun to ski in, at least for me. Is it still cold enough that you are skiing on good snow?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

“Seasonal” workers

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mammoth got a foot like a week ago. According to the patrol site it has been getting below freezing overnight up top, so while that persists there’s still a melt freeze cycle. It’s been a very mild spring here in CA though so that could change at any point

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Peak 6 hike (six senses) was firing today. So good. 1st lap, awesome heavy pow run. 2nd lap, two cliff drops. Booooooooosh!

E: my girl took a very crappy video of the bottom half of run two and have commentary.

https://youtu.be/YWDTuPcfWtg

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 25, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Well it would appear our drive south got a little longer yesterday
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MY3mevjXOfY

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah, that is crazy! Luckily no one hurt.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
So mammoth got another 3 inches. I'm up here and it just started snowing.

I might never leave.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

It’s nuking haha this is great

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Jesus, this year is legendary, I should have gone to Tahoe this weekend

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

We set a 42 year drought record last year for our river basin. Be interesting to see where we end up

E: Oh just 659% of median snow water equivalent
https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/states/co/snow/state/daily/co_update_snow.pdf

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 29, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Went boarding Saturday and Sunday in Mammoth. Saturday was nice enough (if harder than I would’ve liked), and had high hopes on Sunday when we woke up to snow falling, and a lift near us at Canyon opened up so we could just walk there...then the wind picked up. I think the forecast was around mid 20s with 25-45mph gusts. Didn’t need to put on my midlayer but would’ve been nice for the lifts. My goggles and helmet were killing me though, whatever little wind/snow getting through made me feel like I was getting stabbed.

Day ended when I just gave up on a run after getting back to Canyon. There was no visibility left once I got to the open area, it was all just white at that point. I was slowly moving around blind until I saw lift chairs moving and followed that line down.

Then everything cleared up while walking back down to our place :v:. And a small bear approached us while we were putting our boards away :toot:

So 10/10 would go again.

I have a friend going in June so tempted to go again...but :retrogames: :cry:

Edit: bonus bear pic

japtor fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 29, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mammoth is really good at that weird weather move where on the hill it's blowing 20+ and whiteout but five minutes down the road in town it's mild and calm.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anyone been to South America to ski? We can't decide on where to go since we want to resort ski/Backcountry ski/ and have something to do on down days.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

spwrozek posted:

Anyone been to South America to ski? We can't decide on where to go since we want to resort ski/Backcountry ski/ and have something to do on down days.
I've been to Portillo and loved it but it's pretty isolated so not much to do non-ski related other than hang at the hotel. I've heard Valle Nevado has more non-ski stuff but have never been there myself.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Everything around here is closed now. Until next year. :rip:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spwrozek posted:

In general the best skiing (lift service or otherwise) is not at the places with poo poo to do on down days.

Absolute best terrain, extensive bc, stable maritime snowpack, remote with little else to do: Las Leñas. (Argentina)

Cute mountain town, more accessible, less reliable snow and less variety of expert terrain: Bariloche. (Argentina)

Chile stuff is more accessible from major cities, you can rent a car and spend a couple days cruising around wineries. I was less impressed with the terrain in Chile (Portillo, Valle Nevado, etc) but it’s fine.

Really it’s tough to overstate how incredible and extensive the expert terrain is at Las Leñas. If you’ve got the time to hang out for a couple weeks there you will be rewarded with remarkable skiing at some point.

edit: here’s Las Leñas on a pow day. This is just directly lift served stuff, there’s twice as much available in the side country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdrKRVXCWPM

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 30, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is basically my assessment. We will be down there for two weeks. I could literally ski every day. My girlfriend has to have a day off each every 2-3. So 4-6 days off nothing to do in Las lenas is not really great sounding. She was thinking bariloche but she is worried it is to touristy overall. On the Chile side Santiago isn't far obviously but it seems like just a big city. Maybe go to two places...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Well the thing about Las Leñas is that if you’re there for two weeks you will probably get 4-5 down days just because of the weather anyway. I would not recommend trying to combo Chile and Argentina areas on the same trip, just a lot of travel to make that work and the weather may not cooperate. Chile is more conducive to a mixed trip where you hit up some wineries etc for a few days in between different ski areas, if that’s what you’re seeking. You can do that in Argentina too but the travel times are longer on that side of the Andes.

Honestly I can’t really speak to what’s available to do actually at any of these places when you’re not skiing because that’s never been my focus when I was there. In Las Leñas, when the weather had things shut down, I spent my time reading or drinking or hanging out in the nice hotels stealing their WiFi.

All of these places share the same problem that there’s essentially zero tree skiing, so storm days do put a damper on things.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That was basically my experience. I was to spend a month in Las Leñas. It was mindblowing at times, but got boring in the downtime, so I spent a week in Bariloche, too. Not that touristy at all, I was at Penthouse 1004, and they were fantastic. The skiing there (only while I was there) was absolute poo poo, though, total ice sheet, and I got written up by ski patrol for not having a leash on my snowboard bindings (wtf).

Gorgeous town, though, I'd highly recommend it, and a week or maybe a week and a half in Las Leñas if you can swing it.

edit: Thanks Bawfuls for the idea / recs back in 2010, you were the whole reason I went!

ante fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 30, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Thanks for the thoughts guys. It is hard to balance the ski vs not ski thing. Especially with the best places being completely remote. As noted getting between Las lenas and really anywhere is long and difficult. I am sure whatever we decide will be good though.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I just met this new relative at my sister’s wedding and he pushed kicking horse hard. Anyone been there? Confirm/deny?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I just met this new relative at my sister’s wedding and he pushed kicking horse hard. Anyone been there? Confirm/deny?

Its steep so you need good snow, which they can get in spades depending on the time of year.

Some of my friends say its the best skiing they have had when prime. When not its clenching.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Legit terrain at Kicking Horse. A big mountain. If you get it under the right conditions it compares to Jackson or Snowbird imo.

ante posted:

edit: Thanks Bawfuls for the idea / recs back in 2010, you were the whole reason I went!
this reminds me how long I’ve been posting on his dead forum

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
kicking horse sucks tell your friends

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Landsknecht posted:

kicking horse sucks tell your friends

yeah, what this guy said.

Also, Castle Mountain in Alberta totally sucks balls and no one should go there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Few laps at a basin today. Still pretty decent out there.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

Few laps at a basin today. Still pretty decent out there.

Still no lake reveal?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

Still no lake reveal?

Not at all. It didn't even feel like it was coming honestly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In case you needed reminding about why you should use glacier guides. A Norwegian rescue team recently won an award for a glacier rescue. The area is more of a permanent snow cap and has a summer ski lift, but obviously shares some important features with glaciers such as many opportunities to die. An older man had fallen down a narrow crevice, some lucky circumstances led to a great rescue mission. Had cell coverage and just enough battery to last, they zeroed in using his reports of helicopter noise and the observers saw his tracks when he had a few % battery left.

You can see his footsteps and then the glide tracks.

He was booked to go on a guided tour, but when he got up there he felt he wasn't up to it and stayed behind. He asked someone at the the ski center where it was safe to hike for a view and did so. But then time went by quickly, the bus departure drew near and he ended up looking for a shortcut... A good educational example of how someone with good decision making ability ends up making bad ones in incremental steps.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I skied Aspen yesterday and it was good. Thank you Al Gore for inventing climate change and this endless winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Heading up to Mammoth today. Gonna be my first time boarding in July!