Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Every fantasy hero should ride an alpaca, they're like horses except super fluffy and unable to carry people. They'd just have to be giant dire alpaca instead of regular alpaca.
I got alpacas and llamas mixed. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

An important part of fantasy is contrasting the fantastical with something familiar. Being War-of-Roses-by-way-of-Shakespeare, Game of Thrones uses a lot of medieval-ish aesthetic (and very modern cynicism) to make the setting seem ~gritty and real~, and that's what makes the magic and the dragons pop. The more historical minutia you learn, the less well the "realistic" parts work and that can really hamper engaging with the spectacle.

There's no real reason to have the heroes ride horses instead of some other animals, but seeing Jon Snow on a cow or an alpaca would be weird as gently caress.

That's why it's important for fiction to be internally consistent, so as long as the fake "realism" isn't changing from chapter to chapter, it's OK. I've long since learned to mentally tune an author out as soon as he/she starts talking about having "realism" in their works since I consider that quite frankly impossible for a fictional work. Makes reading fantasy a lot more enjoyable!

But I understand this feeling, it always hits me if I encounter Science Fiction that openly challenges what I know about physics too hard. There was some weird series about people living on neutron stars, which in that particular universe were just tiny planets you could walk on. That was so absurd I couldn't get into it. If the author had labelled it fantasy instead, my dumb brain would have been able to just accept this nonsense.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i remember reading a book that tried to create neutrino-based sentient beings who lived on a neutron star, and there were human scientists orbiting them, wonder if it's the same thing

also i like how in that one belisarius-in-spaaace series everybody rides gigantic dogs they forgot were genetically modified and nobody's ever heard of a horse, which i don't think is ever fully explained. it's kind of a 'jon snow on an alpaca' scenario but i guess cooler because gigantic dogs can bite things

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

oystertoadfish posted:

i remember reading a book that tried to create neutrino-based sentient beings who lived on a neutron star, and there were human scientists orbiting them, wonder if it's the same thing

also i like how in that one belisarius-in-spaaace series everybody rides gigantic dogs they forgot were genetically modified and nobody's ever heard of a horse, which i don't think is ever fully explained. it's kind of a 'jon snow on an alpaca' scenario but i guess cooler because gigantic dogs can bite things

Nah, that series I'm talking about had people literally have neutron stars like their own private condos. They could walk literally over them without protection. There also maybe some kind of monarchy involved, because I remember a prince being a protagonist?

Those other stories about neutron stars at least tried to remember facts about neutron stars, instead of inventing their own fantasy thing and labeling it "genuine real neutron stars"

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Every fantasy hero should ride an alpaca, they're like horses except super fluffy and unable to carry people. They'd just have to be giant dire alpaca instead of regular alpaca.

Now I'm imagining a knock-off GoT that is a grimdark retelling of the Punic Wars instead of the War of the Roses, with Hannibal crossing the Alps on dire alpacas, played completely straight. Just absolutely s/elephants/"dire alpacas" and film it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Libluini posted:

there's no reason to get mad at them for historical accuracy reasons, so what did you not like about the costumes?

To pick one example, armour's effectiveness and wearability is determined by physics not fashion. So eg a fantasy show with skimpy boob cleavage corset armour is unrealististic on the face of it regardless of historical period.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

for the same reason knighthood is completely implausible.

Um is it? I've literally met one :britain:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

It's pretty safe to say that anyone who demands a monarchy replace a republic is just a fascist in different clothing.

I mean we did that in 1660 and the result didn't end up being :hitler:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Speaking of "getting angry at TV depictions of armour", the new Goon Omens miniseries on amazon has a throwaway scene in 6th-century Britain with Crowley and Aziraphale both wearing full-plate armour. Can we all agree that is the worst?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Now that it’s wrapped I’m finally starting to watch GoT, I just bought S2. Are the best years of codpieces past me or is greatness still to come?

:ohdear:

Also: tiddies

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

To pick one example, armour's effectiveness and wearability is determined by physics not fashion. So eg a fantasy show with skimpy boob cleavage corset armour is unrealististic on the face of it regardless of historical period.

Oh, that sort of thing! Yeah that's always been dumb. If I'd ever find that in a book I would just switch my lighter on and burn it then and there.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Libluini posted:

Nah, that series I'm talking about had people literally have neutron stars like their own private condos. They could walk literally over them without protection. There also maybe some kind of monarchy involved, because I remember a prince being a protagonist?

Those other stories about neutron stars at least tried to remember facts about neutron stars, instead of inventing their own fantasy thing and labeling it "genuine real neutron stars"

In fairness, Le Petit Prince isn't really trying to be accurate science fiction.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

feedmegin posted:

When the Queen calls, is he ready to ride to war on his own MBT raised from his fief?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

sullat posted:

When the Queen calls, is he ready to ride to war on his own MBT raised from his fief?

The British Army is cutting back to 150 tanks.

Given the number of knights is (according to an old article) "about 3000" there aren't even close to enough tanks, even if you make them take all of the crew positions.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Well I think knights had to provide a certain number of horses based on their holding right? That can be converted into horsepower which can be converted into tanks owed to teh realm right?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cessna posted:

The British Army is cutting back to 150 tanks.

Given the number of knights is (according to an old article) "about 3000" there aren't even close to enough tanks, even if you make them take all of the crew positions.

It'd be nice if we could cut that down even more so we aren't tempted to join in any more overseas jollies

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

It'd be nice if we could cut that down even more so we aren't tempted to join in any more overseas jollies

I don't think anything will stop the brits from getting tanked overseas

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Schadenboner posted:

Well I think knights had to provide a certain number of horses based on their holding right? That can be converted into horsepower which can be converted into tanks owed to teh realm right?

Someone gonna run a dope future/post apoc rpg campaign off this

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nrook posted:

In fairness, Le Petit Prince isn't really trying to be accurate science fiction.

Very funny

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Schadenboner posted:

I really don't think it would be a great idea to give Mogg/Boris crew training and access to tanks.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

Dragon's Egg by Robert Forward

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If you broke down Germany and surrounding polities back into their HRE political borders how many of the entities could afford a tank?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

feedmegin posted:

Elton John?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

aphid_licker posted:

If you broke down Germany and surrounding polities back into their HRE political borders how many of the entities could afford a tank?

You only need enough tanks to fight off the quilt piece next door

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Would there be enough glitter in all of England to coat his tank?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I really don't think it would be a great idea to give Mogg/Boris crew training and access to tanks.

:laffo: both of those dips loving wish they were peers who might hypothetically be called upon to raise troops for HRH. The only one who is even tangentially kinda in the peerage is Mogg, and his dad was named a life peer, aka a non-inheritable title.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

If you watch world of tanks while saturday nights alright is playing, a funny thing happens

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

aphid_licker posted:

What year of hre borders, and do you count imperial knights as separate entities?

feedmegin posted:

Lol you asked for it

quote:

They are not all good knights who ride upon horses; neither are they all knights to whom the king gives arms. They have the name but they do not pursue the calling. For since noble knighthood is of all offices the most honourable, all men desire to be uplifted to this honour; they wear the mantle and bear the name but they do not observe the rule of life. They are not knights but phantoms and apostates. The cowl does not make the monk but the monk the cowl. Many are called and few chosen. There is not, and there should in no wise be, among all estates, an estate honoured as is this: since those of common and mean estate eat their bread at ease; they have soft garments and savory meats, easy and scented beds; they go to sleep in peace and arise without fear; enjoy their pleasures in fair houses with their wives and children and with many men to do their will; they become thick-necked and paunchy; they love their little bodies and cherish them delicately and live in delights. What guerdon our what honours do they deserve? None, nay, none. Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow; their ease is weariness and sweat; they have one good day after many bad; they are vowed to all manner of labour; they are for ever swallowing their fear; they expose themselves to every peril; they give their bodies up to the adventure of life in death. Mouldy bread or biscuit, meat cooked or uncooked; to-day enough to eat and to-morrow nothing, little or no wine, water from a pond or a butt, bad quarters, the shelter of a tent or branches, a bad bed, poor sleep with their armour still on their backs, burdened with iron, the enemy an arrow-shot off. “Ware! Who goes there? To arms! To arms!” With the first drowsiness, an alarm; at dawn, the trumpet. “To horse! To horse! Muster! Muster!” As look-outs, as sentinels, keeping watch by day and by night, fighting without cover, as foragers, as scouts, guard after guard, duty after duty. “Here they come! Here! They are so many–No, not as many as that–This way–that–Come this side–Press them there–News! News! They come back hurt, they have prisoners– no, they bring none back. Let us go! Let us go! Give no ground! On!” Such is their calling; a life of great fatigues, bereft of all ease.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

quote:

water from a pond or a butt

Milhist Thread Part the IVth: water from a pond or a butt

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

step back, ladies and gentlemen *puts on gloves* it's my job

*gets water from a butt*

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think I saw one History youtuber make a compelling argument for me that boob plate isn't really unrealistic because *if* you had a large number of female knights or lords riding into combat on the regular throughout history then they'd like their male counterparts request custom armor that looked good no? This makes sense to me; men and women equally like to look ~fabulous~, men liked to look cool/rad/totes fab into combat why wouldn't women in an alternate history where catholic europe went completely enatic and were equally likely to sign up in merc companies?

On a separate note insofar monarchies go, I forget where I read this, where some traveller is in some Kingdom ruled by a Queen and he asks the locals what they think and they're totes cool with it because, "When the Queen has a child you know it's the Queen's child." I thought this made sense; better to have a matriarchy if you have a monarchy to avoid a lot of the issues of succession.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think I saw one History youtuber make a compelling argument

I don't believe you.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think I saw one History youtuber make a compelling argument for me that boob plate isn't really unrealistic because *if* you had a large number of female knights or lords riding into combat on the regular throughout history then they'd like their male counterparts request custom armor that looked good no? This makes sense to me; men and women equally like to look ~fabulous~, men liked to look cool/rad/totes fab into combat why wouldn't women in an alternate history where catholic europe went completely enatic and were equally likely to sign up in merc companies?

On a separate note insofar monarchies go, I forget where I read this, where some traveller is in some Kingdom ruled by a Queen and he asks the locals what they think and they're totes cool with it because, "When the Queen has a child you know it's the Queen's child." I thought this made sense; better to have a matriarchy if you have a monarchy to avoid a lot of the issues of succession.

The big thing that would not be done for anything serious (or by sane people, idiots exist across the ages) would be actually having cleavage since that is just a trap to catch incoming weapons and aim the force right into your chest. If women were in armor often they would 100% have it custom fitted to their body and you could still show a woman's form without the extent fantasy takes it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
That being said, a lot of what we think of as “plate armor” was probably semi- or full ceremonial fairly early on. Like that guy a few pages ago (Netherlander maybe?) so in this hypothetical past you would probably see identifiably female (but non-boobplate) functional armor and then ceremonial armor that was the equivalent of Marie Antoinette’s hair only with metal and d-cups (although sartorial history is reflective of gender power dynamics so in this less patriarchal version of the past who knows what her hair would look like).

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

That being said, a lot of what we think of as “plate armor” was probably semi- or full ceremonial fairly early on. Like that guy a few pages ago (Netherlander maybe?) so in this hypothetical past you would probably see identifiably female (but non-boobplate) functional armor and then ceremonial armor that was the equivalent of Marie Antoinette’s hair only with metal and d-cups (although sartorial history is reflective of gender power dynamics so in this less patriarchal version of the past who knows what her hair would look like).

:shrug:

Jesus H. Tittyfucking Christ weeping on the cross am I ashamed to have strung together this many words about boobplate.

:smithicide:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I had my first fencing class today and the women's boob protector looks exactly like boobplate. Bit of plastic with two big ole honkin' tiddie impressions moulded into it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

OK, now I'm curious. Game of Thrones is literally fantasy, there's no reason to get mad at them for historical accuracy reasons, so what did you not like about the costumes?
historical accuracy reasons because i am a HUGE nerd with misplaced priorities. Remember when Sansa had to live with Roose Bolton and his edgy girlfriend and everyone wore black leather and lacings? That was when I left.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

i would tune the gently caress in to "Inca Empire game of thrones"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

boobplate is basically what would happen in opposition to codpieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

went to a conference with a Graf, we slept on a friend's floor in an apartment that we only later learned was condemned.