Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Thought the movie was a great spectacle and perfectly fine Godzilla movie. Didn't expect to see something better than G14 from a story telling perspective let alone Shin Godzilla levels.

That said the lovely dad main character was terrible and Dr Stanton I think was the real lovely quip machine. Both of them needed to be re-written or just removed from the movie. I can agree with the thought the character motivations were widely uneven, the movie just jumped forward so fast it was kind of jarring.

Also for anyone complaining about darkness I think you just need to find a better theater, saw no problems with seeing what was happening on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think the plot beats were mostly straightforward but it seems like the character's motivations changed from scene to scene really unnaturally. Like, Serizawa testifies before...Congress? saying that humans should probably accept the fact that we're pets to these powerful creatures. Then a couple scenes later, Emma suggests the very same thing and he gets all salty like "you're going down a dangerous path!!!!"

I can't think of anything positive that Mark added to this movie. Take him and all his screen time out and you've got something really good.

This doesn't happen at all. She is literally trying to control them and influence them via unnatural means. She's upsetting the balance herself by forcibly waking them all up instead of doing what Serizawa said to do which is... Nothing. Let Godzilla handle poo poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also she LITERALLY LET GHIDORAH OUT. The worst, most No No Do Not Let Out Ever kaiju Monarch had. They let out someone that they themselves called The Devil With Three Heads and knew was bad, BAD news.

And it got his partner killed.

Serizawa could agree with her sentiments and still be pissed at her methods

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

wdarkk posted:

Why do people even see movies in 3D anymore. None of them are shot for it.

Both Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Into the Spiderverse were amazing in 3D. There was even a rerelease of Terminator 2 in 3D that was surprisingly good.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I wish there was a little more...I don't know, perspective? In this film. G14 was really good at emphasising the sheer size of the kaiju through its cinematography. That shot of G's foot at the airport in hawaii is my go-to example. A little too much of the monster fighting in this one was too close up and shaky, and I would've liked more shots like G and KG squaring up in Antarctica or KG on the volcano. More shots of them just being them, in all their scale and glory, I suppose.

Also from the trailers I was expecting the tone of the film to be more apocalyptic than it was, and for KG to be more terrifying than he was. Then again, G14 played the same trick.

Anyway, this was a ludicrous mess of a film, a total modern day Showa joint, but there were still some genuine goosebumps moments.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think one of my fave moments was King G lifting the others head up after he just wanted to sniff around. Just a good ol boy being curious.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I also like that little moment of Mothra webbing up two heads and the third one just going 'oh crap' when Godzilla rushes in.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alrighty, untagged spoilers are creeping in, I'm out until Tuesday. Can't wait!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Can't lie, I'm disappointed. Maybe I got it all wrong, but I thought I heard there would be 17 giant monsters in this movie.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Animal-Mother posted:

Can't lie, I'm disappointed. Maybe I got it all wrong, but I thought I heard there would be 17 giant monsters in this movie.

Have you considered the biggest monster is Man?

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I just loved how absolutely lethal the monsters were. That Rodan chase sequence was way more brutal than I thought it'd be.

Rodan as Starscream is a pretty neat concept.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I went into this blind, having no experience with ANY Godzilla movie, with my friend who's watched I think every single one since he was a kid.

We both hated it.

Every time we saw the trailer for this, he was super excited, wanting to see "giant monsters fighting on a turbofucked Earth." Towards the end, he was nearly shouting "show the loving monsters fighting each other!," during every human scene.

I regretted coming to the theatre around the halfway point but started having a better time the more agitated he became. He said he was thinking of walking out, but figured they'd save the huge fight he wanted for the end of the film.

The jokes were just poo poo, and I felt Silicon Valley guy's character could've been excised completely. I did get a good laugh when a TV anchor matter-of-factly said something about a dozen giant loving monsters rampaging in cities across the globe being "the greatest disaster in human history" (as if this was all just another news story and the weather was next), but I don't think that was intentional??

There were no memorable lines outside of the "we would be [Godzilla's pet]" from the trailer. The dialogue could've been written by a middle schooler on a deadline for a creative writing class and was typically delivered by actors who sounded like they didn't give a single poo poo, especially Dr. Dad.

(In their defense, it could not have been fun for any of these people to film this: I'd imagine filming the umpteenth scene of reacting to a vehicle being shaken around to be very tedious.)

The entire time, I was confused as to what the motivations were for Dr. Mom. I was assuming she complied with the terrorist organization (did they have a name?) to protect her daughter. When she unleashed Ghidora, I thought she had some plan to escape or at least see her kid to safety, but I was wrong. I'm okay if her motivations were misguided, but in a film that constantly beats the viewer over the head with exposition, they could've been made things a bit clearer. My friend said there was a line where Mr. Terrorist said Dr. Mom came to him, but I guess I didn't catch it.

The film was filled with clichés. I didn't think the "monster prepares to kill human; human mutters 'oh poo poo'" cliché was interesting or funny the first time, why would I enjoy it the second time? Did they just plug a bunch of disaster film scripts into a Markov chain generator or something? Mad Libs?

I'm Asian American, and while I never really think about it other than having to tell someone "where I'm from" or how to pronounce my name, I thought having a Japanese man commit suicide for the greater good a few scenes after making a fortune cookie joke to be kinda weird. But maybe by that point I was looking for any way to criticize the movie. Also, I thought that he was extremely reverent and affectionate for Godzilla, even being the researcher who understood it most, but maybe I'd understand if I had seen the 2014 film?

I also felt the whole human sacrifice portion of the film a bit contrived. If they wanted to kill off Sarizawa for cheap pathos, why not have him get unceremoniously eaten like poor Sally Hawkins's character, who seems unmourned aside from a brief shot of her profile being studied on a computer screen for two seconds?

(I was surprised to learn her character was present in the first film; I thought she'd been included just for the audience to see one of the team leads get killed early on. Maybe she's just coasting on that sweet, sweet Shape of Water cash and agreed to return only if her character got killed off quick??)

Some of the action, mainly everything right before the oxygen destroyer, was pretty cool; why couldn't they have had a bit more of that in the climax instead of more interior shots of a helicopter being shaken around?

Or how about this: have Mothra try to intervene between the oxygen bomb and the finale, showcase her abilities. She loses and fucks off to recover, highlighting just how potent Godzilla was before we hosed up and killed him. Then, you can have her come back at the end looking all torn up and half dead, make you feel something when she comes to help out Godzilla. Spice things up between Game of Thrones guy phoning it in and Dr. Dad being upset with someone because of his missing daughter for the fifth time, gently caress, I dunno. Throw the giant turtle guy in there, anything, god drat.

Honestly, I don't even know why I'm writing about this. It's okay if someone watches this film and enjoys it since I'm not familiar with the tone or appeal of any of these movies, but it baffles me a little to think someone enjoyed either the action (not enough) or the "man makes his own problems" angle (yes, we are gently caress ups, but what is your point beyond that? Do you have any insight or commentary about man's interference with nature that wasn't already made clear in the first film, decades ago?)

I don't know why this movie exists. I'd rather have sports radio announcers describe Pacific Rim scene by scene. I had more enjoyment writing a shrill, pointless review on a dead comedy forum.

I only give this film four out of five stars.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This movie was really good, and Godzilla's transition from Showa Godzilla to Heisei Godzilla as humans kept frustrating his efforts to defeat Ghidorah was great.

The Ospreys with the magical fold-up switchblade wings felt like a reference to the Godzilla 2000 novel, which featured an American G-Force fighting Kaiju with a Super Osprey (while being secretly guided by a benevolent Mothra, who was also guiding Godzilla to the place where King Ghidorah would appear); and whose primary theme was "let the monsters fight, you idiots." There were a surprising number of references to that whole goofy novel line, even if some of them might have been accidental. I don't think they were.

YaketySass posted:

Have you considered the biggest monster is Man?

Humanity is Hedorah.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Desumaytah posted:

I just loved how absolutely lethal the monsters were. That Rodan chase sequence was way more brutal than I thought it'd be.

Not empty-quoting. The entire Rodan sequence from start to finish is pretty much a high point in the film, it absolutely shows just how catastrophic things can get.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Whats interesting is how this movie was completed long before its release date, like a highly unusual length of time. It went through many test screenings and was probably fine-tuned to the audience's feedback.

I wonder if this explains the B+ Cinemascore and good Rotten Tomatoes audience score. Also my non-kaiju ppl I went with were entertained...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Whats interesting is how this movie was completed long before its release date, like a highly unusual length of time. It went through many test screenings and was probably fine-tuned to the audience's feedback.

I wonder if this explains the B+ Cinemascore and good Rotten Tomatoes audience score. Also my non-kaiju ppl I went with were entertained...

My gf who knows nothing about kaiju or godzilla beyond basic pop culture was a bit bewildered by the whole insane mess but gripped my hand in genuine delight whenever Big G turned up. If nothing else, he's super charismatic in this film

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really really liked the movie but had two problems with it.

1. It was just too dark in some places which meant that it was harder to see some of the action than was intended. This might have also been my theater.

2. I had hoped after Kong Skull Island they had figured out how to do the human side of the story well but now we're only slightly better than Godzilla 2014. At least now weve progressed from the almost unwatchable human scenes of that movie to merely being sorta boring. I really wish the main family man was played by somebody that had any amount of screen presence at all. I mean for god's sake Kong had Samuel L. Jackson, John Goodman, Brie Larson, Tom Hiddleston and John C. Reilly, could we really not get anyone for what is ostensibly the bigger movie? Id love an Idris Elba or even a Jeffrey Dean Morgan in the father role just so somebody has anything resembling some screen presence rather than a collection of cardboard cutouts and the one Japanese guy desperately trying to carry these scenes on his back.

All of my complaints are pretty minor though because every second that a monster is on screen is just incredible and lived up to everything I hoped for in a blockbuster Godzilla movie. Which is something that carried over from the two previous movies as well.

My personal rankings for this series right now are:
1. Kong: Skull Island
2. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
3. Godzilla 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Taking my dad to see this Tuesday next week on a Marcus Ultrascreen DLX :3:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I really liked this, but my main complaint is that Kyle Chandler can't really seem to hang. I'm not sure if it's the writing or his acting, probably somewhere between, but every single line he says is really scoff-worthy. The Traumatized Always Right Guy who Learns A Lesson is obviously hugely cliche, but I feel like someone else might have carried it off. I also think it's weird that he comes to terms with Vera Farmiga so easily after she, y'know, ushers in the apocalypse

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The Digital Artists section in the end credit roll was a mile long, holy poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Serizawa is really the only character with a good arc in this film. The trouble is that his arc is spread out across this film and G14, so if you came into this movie cold then his motivations with regards to Godzilla can be vague and confusing.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Burkion posted:

I know it isn't

But if that was a super obscure reference to Barry's Temple of Godzilla

Wow! Haven’t thought about that site in a long time. Glad to see it’s still up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Desumaytah posted:

OMG I LITERALLY THOUGHT THAT AS I SLEPT LAST NIGHT! Rodan being Starscream is exactly what it felt like.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think the plot beats were mostly straightforward but it seems like the character's motivations changed from scene to scene really unnaturally. Like, Serizawa testifies before...Congress? saying that humans should probably accept the fact that we're pets to these powerful creatures. Then a couple scenes later, Emma suggests the very same thing and he gets all salty like "you're going down a dangerous path!!!!"

I can't think of anything positive that Mark added to this movie. Take him and all his screen time out and you've got something really good.

Exactly. That and because some things are kept secret, you're not sure what's going on at some points, and so the characters have to explain it to you.

I had a similar-ish problem with Mark, because my problem with him extended to Madison. I thought the stuff with both of them was boring and uninteresting. They could have just made the movie about Vera Farmiga wanting to screw up humanity and then realizing she made the wrong choice.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Predictions for the climax based on the trailers: Ghidorah lifts Godzilla up to a great height, drops him and injures him gravely, then Ken Watanabe revives him by powering him up with a nuke, and fiery Godzilla kicks the juice out of Ghidorah

Not too far off! Mothra's involvement excepting

Boy, I really hate to say it, but this was a huge disappointment for me. I was fairly hyped, which was a mistake, because all of the worst features of the third trailer, the red flags I ignored--the quipping characters, the heavy-handed exposition, monsters fighting in nothing but the dark and rain again--I had brushed off, saying to myself, "well, hopefully that stuff will be minimized and monsters fighting will be maximized and the plot will at least be somewhat decent." I didn't prepare myself for the possibility that these things could actually be worse in the final product. I found myself bored for most of it, stifling yawns and waiting for the inevitable climactic brawl. I felt no connection to the characters or the breathless plot, and I was kept involved only by my nostalgia for these kaiju.

Half the cast could have been excised and the movie would be no worse off, and probably tighter for it: the colonel, the soldier, that dude from Silicon Valley who looks like a shivering chihuahua. I still can hardly believe that the "Oh my God"--"zillahhh..." was actually part of the movie. I really thought that was some precious trailer editing. Every single person around me scoffed. I was embarrassed for this movie in that moment. I actually didn't mind Bradley Whitford's character as much as some people in this thread, but that was mainly because he was just one cute, quipping side character in a minor sea of cute, quipping side characters.

Sally Hawkins' character got done dirty with an off-camera death and a "Deceased" summary on a screen that quickly slips into background irrelevance. The family's throughline, the emotional core of the plot, felt forgotten for most of the film (and I literally have forgotten the resolution, 12 hours later). Dr. Russell's intentions were vague and muddied by being kidnapped by an ecoterrorist organization yet essentially aligning with them from the get-go. Did she want to get kidnapped? Was there ever a moment of doubt? Was it all just very convenient given her original intentions? Kyle Chandler's character was mostly along for the ride. Millie Bobby Brown gave the best performance, I thought, but was absent for large swaths of the film.

The first few scenes--the family breakfast, Mothra's birth, even the nonsensical UN(?) hearing--it had me. I was in. They're setting up the players, the relationships, the state of Monarch, everything's jolly. But after the kidnapping, the pacing goes completely off the rails and I felt like I had been thrown down a well, bouncing off plot points as I fell. Almost nothing was set up. Events simply happened when they needed to happen. The military guy from Godzilla '14 shows up on a screen, and not only does he have the Oxygen Destroyer, it's already on the way and there's nothing to be done about it. The ORCA, the ultimate mcguffin, does whatever needs to happen in that moment. It soothes Mothra when she needs to be soothed. It confuses Ghidorah when he needs to be confused. Things happened at such a headlong pace that when I picked a relatively quiet moment to slip out to go to the bathroom, thinking that perhaps the frantic exposition and pace would finally give way to a rare moment of reflection, I came back to Ken Watanabe volunteering to sacrifice himself. I was out of the theater for 2 minutes and I missed the setup for the ancient underwater city and their setting up the plan to resurrect Godzilla with a nuke. I apparently also missed DC being destroyed in those 2 minutes.

Which brings me to my biggest disappointment. I can forgive a lackluster human story, if this movies delivers on the promise of the only thing I've wanted from a Godzilla movie since I was like 6: big monsters fighting on a $200 million budget. And it did that, but I was missing a sense of... scale? Proportion? Usually in Godzilla movies there's a fair amount of collateral damage in the way of buildings and other man-made structures, which serves to lend weight and size to the kaiju. Showing them from a near-ground perspective toppling buildings and bridges somehow solidifies their sheer size in your mind and makes them "real", even when they are obviously guys in rubber suits. I was missing that almost entirely in this movie. The battleground of DC is a flattened, bare arena as soon as we arrive (see above for a personal caveat). I was trying to grasp the size of these creatures on a visceral level, desperately looking for something contextual to guide me to that little nugget of awe. The nearest thing to it was the moment when Mothra webs two of Ghidorah's heads to a building and Godzilla proceeds to bum rush him through it. That was a highlight for me. I will say, though, that despite that lack of scale, most of the monster shots were beautifully composed, if all too brief.

There's one moment in the film when Godzilla and Ghidorah are going at it in a straight shot, and I am jazzed: all the other problems aside, at least I get to see giant monsters duke it out. And then, in that moment of ultimate anticipation, the goddamn Super X rises up from out of frame to block the entire shot. This was the ultimate microcosm: the smooth, gray, flat hull of the human story cockblocking the only interesting thing this movie had going for it.

I hate to be so down on it. I want to watch it again and give it another fair shake. We saw a late showing, I was tired, and also a little drunk. To be fair, I doubt any movie could have ever lived up to the second trailer, which was perhaps the most effective movie trailer I've ever seen. It certainly was a visual spectacle at times. To end on the positive: the soundtrack and sound design overall was phenomenal. I think it will be a movie best viewed as a clip show, with the soundtrack as a chaser.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 1, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I wonder if the plot would have worked a little bit better if they'd combined the mom and daughter characters and made the daughter the "villain", manipulated by Charles Dance. The volatile, vengeful accomplice of nature's reckoning would be a bit more believable and impactful coming from a traumatized child, and there'd be more emotional stakes to the dad getting his poo poo together if he had to get through to his daughter, instead of the boring estranged couple drama we've seen a million times. You'd have to rewrite the plot a bit to explain why a teenage girl is in a position to influence the plot, but since there's a MacGuffin you could just go with her picking up exclusive knowledge from her mom.

I don't really have a complaint about the monster stuff, it looked pretty and had just the right amount of screentime, and Mothra was predictably adorable. The human part was rote but tolerable outside of the awful quips.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Much as I liked the movie for its monster bits I think the very fact that we separate the movie into "the human part" and "the monster part" is itself kind of damning. LIke I can't even imagine doing that with Kong Skull Island since theres essentially zero separation between the human element and Kong's story

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

So the villains were basically right, outside of Ghidorah being an alien. The ending shows that the kaiju are good for the environment.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Ben Nerevarine posted:

There's one moment in the film when Godzilla and Ghidorah are going at it in a straight shot, and I am jazzed: all the other problems aside, at least I get to see giant monsters duke it out. And then, in that moment of ultimate anticipation, the goddamn Super X rises up from out of frame to block the entire shot. This was the ultimate microcosm: the smooth, gray, flat hull of the human story cockblocking the only interesting thing this movie had going for it.

I remember that moment too because it took me out of the scene. And it wasn’t done for some sort of masterful purpose like the teasing in the first movie or as a beautiful composed shot. I remember thinking that like 60% of the frame was taken up by the round pure white jet engine for no reason. Very strange.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

So the villains were basically right, outside of Ghidorah being an alien. The ending shows that the kaiju are good for the environment.

Waking them all up by artificial means was probably a mistake and more dangerous than it needed to be. Mothra was already getting up by herself. Let it happen naturally and you have Godzilla in charge from the start, keeping poo poo in line. Trying to control it, like trying to destroy it, was not the answer if you want peaceful cohabitation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

I know it isn't

But if that was a super obscure reference to Barry's Temple of Godzilla

loving hell, there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I used to know Barry back when we both used to hang out at the photoshop competition site Worth1000 back in the 00s.

Violator posted:

I remember that moment too because it took me out of the scene. And it wasn’t done for some sort of masterful purpose like the teasing in the first movie or as a beautiful composed shot. I remember thinking that like 60% of the frame was taken up by the round pure white jet engine for no reason. Very strange.

There were also several shots where something was out of focus right in the foreground or off to the side of the shot which was really distracting in 3D.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Much as I liked the movie for its monster bits I think the very fact that we separate the movie into "the human part" and "the monster part" is itself kind of damning. LIke I can't even imagine doing that with Kong Skull Island since theres essentially zero separation between the human element and Kong's story

This is always something the Godzilla films struggle with since, unlike Kong, Godzilla is so big and invulnerable, that most human characters can't really interact with him.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Barry Foster posted:

Also from the trailers I was expecting the tone of the film to be more apocalyptic than it was, and for KG to be more terrifying than he was. Then again, G14 played the same trick.

Anyway, this was a ludicrous mess of a film, a total modern day Showa joint, but there were still some genuine goosebumps moments.

A huge missed opportunity was when Ghidorah dropped Godzilla from the stratosphere. When he hit the ground he sort of just let out a shockwave gust of wind. Boston would have been a loving crater after that :lol:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/ScienceVisuals/status/1134194176042688513

Godzilla’s extraordinary growth over time mirrors an increase in Anthropocene angst

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's that, but another consideration was just buildings getting taller.

Though there seems to have been some big escalation lately- first G14, then the anime movies.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

It was definitely a very enjoyable movie, but I'm still not entirely happy about how the kaiju/titans are essentially treated as large, powerful animals mistaken for gods rather than the forces of nature they were depicted as in 2014. How would some of Godzilla's behaviors in the 2014 film (such as him interacting with the Golden Gate bridge and making eye contact with Ford Brody) be explainable if he's little more than a super-large dinosaur? Between that and Monarch being able to readily track his vitals and biometrics, it feels like the "God" was sort of taken out of Godzilla, and I personally dislike that.

Also, I saw it in 4DX, which is quite an experience! Just be prepared to get wet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dammerung posted:

It was definitely a very enjoyable movie, but I'm still not entirely happy about how the kaiju/titans are essentially treated as large, powerful animals mistaken for gods rather than the forces of nature they were depicted as in 2014. How would some of Godzilla's behaviors in the 2014 film (such as him interacting with the Golden Gate bridge and making eye contact with Ford Brody) be explainable if he's little more than a super-large dinosaur? Between that and Monarch being able to readily track his vitals and biometrics, it feels like the "God" was sort of taken out of Godzilla, and I personally dislike that.

He also had several scenes where he made eye contact with humans in this film, if anything he seemed more sentient than ever. I also felt that the fact that there's an entire sunken civilization that built massive cathedrals in his honor also makes him seem even more godlike than usual.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He also had several scenes where he made eye contact with humans in this film, if anything he seemed more sentient than ever. I also felt that the fact that there's an entire sunken civilization that built massive cathedrals in his honor also makes him seem even more godlike than usual.

I personally disagree, I feel like the emotions playing across Godzilla's face in his brief connection with Ford aren't matched in any scene in 2019 - with the exception of Serizawa's sacrifice, which was absolutely one of the best scenes in the movie. I don't like the idea that he's just trying to stare people down and/or intimidate them with the threat of him firing an atomic blast. It just makes him seem like a simplistic tyrant more than anything else.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just saw it. I immediately got a ticket for the next show.

The theater was Dolby Cinema. They have seats that vibrate with the bass. For most movies it's mildly annoying. For this though... It felt like Godzilla was in the theater. When he walked the whole place shook. It was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Now that the fanservice/musical cues high has worn off, I'm really lukewarm on this one.

It's like a shaggier, toned down Final Wars, and lacks Final Wars scenery-chewing human(oid) villian too.