Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Threes Helles was easily the best thing I drank all weekend. The diversity of their lineup and overall quality of every beer was outstanding. Extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

threes doesn't make beer for people with the palate of a third grader, hence no hype. i love their foeder pils

I wish someone down here made a foeder pils as that sounds awesome

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Threes does indeed gently caress; when we were in Brooklyn a few years ago we visited there and they had just happened to have a wedding on the back patio and a New Orleans jazz band was parading through the place in celebration. We asked the bartender in bewilderment and learned that no, that doesn't happen all the time. The beer ruled too.

Monday Night Brewing down here in Atlanta just put out a really impressive Saphir dry-hopped foeder pils, and my fiance and I have decided that that's where we'll be getting married next fall. These two facts are unrelated, or so I tell her.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

prayer group posted:

Threes does indeed gently caress; when we were in Brooklyn a few years ago we visited there and they had just happened to have a wedding on the back patio and a New Orleans jazz band was parading through the place in celebration. We asked the bartender in bewilderment and learned that no, that doesn't happen all the time. The beer ruled too.

Monday Night Brewing down here in Atlanta just put out a really impressive Saphir dry-hopped foeder pils, and my fiance and I have decided that that's where we'll be getting married next fall. These two facts are unrelated, or so I tell her.

congratulations! you, uh, haven't moved or anything, have you?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Eighth State up in Greenville is reportedly releasing a stout made with caviar among other additions.
I'm morbidly curious.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

graybook posted:

Eighth State up in Greenville is reportedly releasing a stout made with caviar among other additions.
I'm morbidly curious.

I've had a few stouts made with oysters and stone crab, and theyre just slightly saltier with a bit more of that umami flavor. It's not like your chugging down bilgewater as it's kinda subtle.

However, with 2019 beer trends that may end up tasting like you're sucking off a sturgeon.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've had a few stouts made with oysters and stone crab, and theyre just slightly saltier with a bit more of that umami flavor. It's not like your chugging down bilgewater as it's kinda subtle.

However, with 2019 beer trends that may end up tasting like you're sucking off a sturgeon.

Beer Thread 3: Sucking off a sturgeon

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
So it appears West Lakeview Liquors is dead. I don't think there's a more historically important bottle shop in the Midwest.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

So it appears West Lakeview Liquors is dead. I don't think there's a more historically important bottle shop in the Midwest.

did Lincoln stand in line for BCBS variants there or something

but, yeah, it seems like their social media stopped abruptly a little over a week ago

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

I had a big stout the other day at a bar and the bartender asked if any of us were allergic to shell fish. We were like, "Uh, don't think so why?"
The stout was made with oyster something. It was pretty good. Salty but not overwhelmingly salty. Def umami flavor.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

did Lincoln stand in line for BCBS variants there or something

Boom.

In the last few years there's been a lot of backlash against the owner over a bunch of petty poo poo (I saw her be "accused" of caring more about mezcal than beer; assholes were super salty about their non-announcement on Zwanse Day) and they definitely didn't keep up with the times. But they were doing the beer (and bourbon) thing well before it was cool. I kinda hope they retired on all the money they made from neckbeards.

That said, it is insane that they're just letting their liquor license die. Those things are hard as gently caress to get in the city and that alone seems like a reason to at least sell the business...

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

funkybottoms posted:

congratulations! you, uh, haven't moved or anything, have you?

I am literally moving on Monday. I'll send you my new address if you feel the need to mail me stuff.

Also Bell's 4pack cans are so goddamn affordable and tasty. Oberon and their new Official hazy IPA are like eight bucks down here. poo poo fuckin slaps.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

prayer group posted:

I am literally moving on Monday. I'll send you my new address if you feel the need to mail me stuff.

Also Bell's 4pack cans are so goddamn affordable and tasty. Oberon and their new Official hazy IPA are like eight bucks down here. poo poo fuckin slaps.

I'm pretty happy with it. Bells makes some lowkey good poo poo.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

:beerpal:filling bourbon and coconut rum barrels with blonde barleywine:beerpal:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

:beerpal:filling bourbon and coconut rum barrels with blonde barleywine:beerpal:

ISO.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

:frogon:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah, Oyster stouts aren't uncommon in the British isles, been around for a good while as well.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The first Bells Leaves of Grass beer is goddamn amazing. An all-German ingredient pale ale, it comes off like a extra hoppy, extra dry pilsner. I'd swear this would have used lager yeast. It is perfectly balanced, extremely drinkable. I'd argue the only negative is the 6.5% ABV, because killing a six pack of this (for $13) would be too easy.

This is probably the best beer I've had all year, with Off Color's Maranon Predator the only thing that might be in the conversation.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

The first Bells Leaves of Grass beer is goddamn amazing. An all-German ingredient pale ale, it comes off like a extra hoppy, extra dry pilsner. I'd swear this would have used lager yeast. It is perfectly balanced, extremely drinkable. I'd argue the only negative is the 6.5% ABV, because killing a six pack of this (for $13) would be too easy.

This is probably the best beer I've had all year, with Off Color's Maranon Predator the only thing that might be in the conversation.

Welp, guess I better pick some up then.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

unfortunately the bossman only wants to barrel age the barleywine for like 4 months...I guess I have 4 months to convince him to let them go longer.

I'm incredibly jealous of any goons that will be attending FWIBF today.. I really wanted to go but something tells me that my wife wouldn't let it happen when we have a less than two month old and 3 year old at home.. I'm pretty much already starting my countdown for next year

Hauki
May 11, 2010

danbanana posted:

that sounds extremely up my alley right now

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:siren:hot take:siren:

Sierra Nevada has a decent selection of beers. Some pale ales I actually enjoyed. Fav was the Helles in the Tropics tropical lager. In other beer drinkin:

Bootleggers Brewery El Chango was a decent Mexican-American style lager. Made for a yummy michilada.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hey beer goons are any of you in Los Angeles and could pick up a few bottles from Highland Park from my membership?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

echoing everyone else, but shiiiit. Gotta get this.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Bootleggers Brewery El Chango was a decent Mexican-American style lager. Made for a yummy michilada.

False. There is no such thing as a good michelada.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

the yellow dart posted:

False. There is no such thing as a good michelada.

Them fightin words

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

unfortunately the bossman only wants to barrel age the barleywine for like 4 months...I guess I have 4 months to convince him to let them go longer.

that might be enough time- it all depends on the beer and the barrel- but maybe suggest that it could be a fun Christmas release?

if anyone is going to be near Richmond on the 15th, we will be having our fifth anniversary block party, and even if you think our beer sucks, there are gonna be like two dozen beers, ciders, and meads from other places on draft- including a keg that Kosher man himself dropped off the other day!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
In honor of cocksuckers and hoopleheads, I opened that BCBS Reserve from a couple years ago, aged in the fancy Knob Creek barrels. It's quite good! But I think the biggest issue they've had since the bottle change/infection is the carb level. Even with some time, these fizz a bit too much. It definitely adds to a cola-like sensation. This is much better than the 16 I had recently but the mouthfeel is still just a bit off.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

that might be enough time- it all depends on the beer and the barrel- but maybe suggest that it could be a fun Christmas release?

well the barrels were definitely fresh/wet so that's a plus.

has anyone else noticed how more and more breweries are using clear glass? I can't seem to figure out why, but it mostly seems like it's fruited wilds and beer/wine hybrids that end up in clear glass. is it for shelf appeal?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

danbanana posted:

This must not have made it out to my neck of the woods yet. I’ve checked almost all of my local places that carry Bell’s and no one seems to have it. Disappointing because I’m on a lager/Pilsner kick right now for summer. Hopefully it’ll show up soon.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

has anyone else noticed how more and more breweries are using clear glass? I can't seem to figure out why, but it mostly seems like it's fruited wilds and beer/wine hybrids that end up in clear glass. is it for shelf appeal?

Basically yeah, but I would argue more for instagram appeal rather than shelf appeal. It is mostly for heavily fruited wild/sour beers with practically no hops so to avoid skunking. They are pretty much used to show off the bright colors of the beers. The whole trend is cribbing off natural wines doing the same thing with clear bottles.

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

Good luck. Rum barrels are a loving chore to deal with as they leak like a motherfucker.

Apache
May 11, 2004

We are planning to hit up Milwaukee, Madison, and the Lake Geneva area in late July this year. What are the can't miss breweries/bars/restaurants? I know New Glarus by Madison, but what are the best of Milwaukee? Also, are there any breweries of note in the Lake Geneva area? We'll be staying by the third ward area of Milwaukee, which I think is close to the Milwaukee ale house as well as MobCraft, Milwaukee Brewing Company, and Urban Harvest. It also seems reasonably close to Lakefront Brewery, Eagle Park, and Good City brewing. Haven't booked accommodations for Madison or Lake Geneva yet. I'm probably being limited by the wife to a couple of breweries a day since she doesn't really drink anymore. Breweries with good food and/or cocktails and wine would be a plus.

Apache fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 3, 2019

Hauki
May 11, 2010

black project is great and way better at sours than crooked stave, i don't know why they don't get the same degree of hype

also way chiller, so forget i said anything

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Apache posted:

We are planning to hit up Milwaukee, Madison, and the Lake Geneva area in late July this year. What are the can't miss breweries/bars/restaurants? I know New Glarus by Madison, but what are the best of Milwaukee? Also, are there any breweries of note in the Lake Geneva area? We'll be staying by the third ward area of Milwaukee, which I think is close to the Milwaukee ale house as well as MobCraft, Milwaukee Brewing Company, and Urban Harvest. It also seems reasonably close to Lakefront Brewery, Eagle Park, and Good City brewing. Haven't booked accommodations for Madison or Lake Geneva yet. I'm probably being limited by the wife to a couple of breweries a day since she doesn't really drink anymore. Breweries with good food and/or cocktails and wine would be a plus.

Good City makes solid pales, though it's been about a year since I bought them so they might have gone haze. I remember the food being decent there as well.

In Madison, Funk Factory is the spot people talk about. I haven't had anything from them personally. Untitled Art is their canning haze and pastry and other hype arm.

New Glarus is absolutely worth the trip and unless you have specific reasons to stay in Madison proper, I'd suggest staying there. It's pretty as hell and a nice little tourist village. The Cow and Quince served me the best breakfast I've ever had. There's also a famous German restaurant, Garner Stube, that was tight.

Lake Geneva isn't a great spot for beer or at least wasn't a couple years ago. Also be prepared to be surrounded by a million Illinois people.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm going to the UK (London, Glasgow, and various places in between) later this summer, what should I be drinking?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Toebone posted:

I'm going to the UK (London, Glasgow, and various places in between) later this summer, what should I be drinking?

If you have time in London, hit up the Bermondsey Beer Mile.
I don't have specific recommendations, though I'm sure others can help, but you can find a ton of info on google, and there's a decent number of tap rooms too.

Glasgow-wise, the best beer pub is the Shilling Brewing Company in the city center. They've got about 15 taps, not including their own beers brewed on site, and sometimes you get lucky and one of their prototypes.

Also worth checking out is the WEST brewery out at Glasgow Green, great food, great beers, great building.

As for in between, you might need to be more specific, but I'm not sure I can help anyway.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i was gonna make actual dinner for myself, but ended up with some nice cheese and an imperial pint of lambic, instead.

i'm not complaining.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You got a problem with string cheese and lagers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Toebone posted:

Kernel, Cloudwater, Verdant, Siren, and honestly a bunch of cask ale (Not Greene King)

If you're going anywhere near Liverpool or Manchester I can flood you with recommendations for bars.