Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They have a huge inflatable thing at the costco here, it is massive and if you were on a lake or something it’d be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Chinatown posted:

You mean a paddleboard or the foam wavestorm?

Both. Or even the big rear end playground/patio set. Who's buying this? Why do I need a 3 liter bottle of wine? Can I drink it on my giant paddle board?

Who wants to go halfsies on that $1mill ring.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
They sell a ton of those wavestorm boards. Un-dingable and super floaty so its extremely easy to catch waves with. Its like surfing with a cheatmode on.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Can we talk abit about some of the real ABSURD poo poo you can get at Costco. Did anyone ever buy that GIANT loving surfboard they hang up during the summer months?

My in-laws own both the paddleboard and

priznat posted:

They have a huge inflatable thing at the costco here, it is massive and if you were on a lake or something it’d be awesome.

this thing because they own beachfront property and they entertain a lot (it's a lovely beach in a lovely neighborhood don't set your expectations too high). They bought both years ago so they have different ones than Costco carries now.

The paddleboard comes in 2 sizes and they got the smaller one because the bigger one was insanely expensive and wouldn't fit in their car. It's not the best paddleboard in the world but it gets the job done. My BIL is super into that stuff and he says that it's a good board for the money, but if it's something you intend on using frequently you're better off dropping the extra cash on something better. That just makes me afraid what an actual quality paddle would cost.

I tried but I just use it. It's hard as gently caress. I don't know if it's because I'm a solid 6 inches taller than the rest of that family and it's the smaller board, or I'm fat and weak, but I just can't stabilize myself and end up falling before I even stand up.

The huge inflatable thing is loving awesome as hell. They blow it up in the beginning of the season, then we all go out there and anchor it down. It stays out there for the entire summer and it's always a hit with the kids. Comfortably sits 8 people and plenty of beer. Build quality is solid and they've never had to patch a hole after years of leaving it exposed to the elements. It's not even that hard to inflate.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
https://www.wsj.com/articles/costco-sales-rise-as-tariff-uncertainty-looms-11559256942

Uh oh. Uncle Broke brain is going to make prices at Costco go up!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
ABSOLUTE LEGEND

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

BaconCopter posted:

That was the general consensus of everyone who was with me. Have you tried any of the aged ones? How do they fair?

Unfortunately I have not, sorry. The best I can do is say the best aged scotch I enjoy from Costco:

Medium shelf:
10 year Oban
16 year Lagavulin

Top Shelf:
springbank 18 year
Glenlivet 18 year

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone know if Costco sells wetsuits? I don’t recall seeing them ever.

Not that I'm aware of. However if you're buying a wetsuit for yourself, I implore you to buy a nicer wetsuit as cheap wetsuits are absolute loving trash.

That being said if you're buying a wetsuit for a child, go hog wild because they tolerate cold water easily.

Chinatown posted:

They sell a ton of those wavestorm boards. Un-dingable and super floaty so its extremely easy to catch waves with. Its like surfing with a cheatmode on.

That's right, and Wavestorms have done their part to ruin surfing. As an ex-avid surfer who quit partially due to how extra-crowded they made the lineups, I am not a fan of the commodized foam surfboard, mother of dragons, destroyer of sports.

Renegret posted:

My in-laws own both the paddleboard and

Stand up paddleboards also ruined surfing even before wavestorms but if they're the cool type that actually just paddle around with their paddleboards, then more power to 'em.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

FogHelmut posted:

Also these are legit as fuuuuuccckkk

I bought a container of these from Costco in Tustin (Park Ave/District) and they're indeed good. The little plastic bucket of them contains lots of the herbs and spices that give them a stronger dill and garlic flavor than Vlasic/Claussen you might find at a normal grocer. I still think I prefer the spicy variety of Claussens but they are increasingly difficult to find in stores, but for a non-spicy standard variety these are great. Good crunch to them.

At $7 for a 52oz container its on the upper end of what you'd pay at a grocer for Claussen, Vlassic or a store-brand, typically a smaller 24oz jar will be between $2 (for pasteurized) and $4 (unpasteurized, cold). Good buy if you like refrigerator section pickles.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

FogHelmut posted:

Buy this tequila

PBUClooney

Ahhh I didn't see that at my Costco. I would have bought that in an instant.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Taima posted:

Stand up paddleboards also ruined surfing even before wavestorms but if they're the cool type that actually just paddle around with their paddleboards, then more power to 'em.

How so?

I should've also mentioned that their beach is an enclosed Bay so the water is perfectly calm and is only 6ft deep at it's lowest point during high tide. So it's impossible to surf but a blast to kayak. The paddle board is just Another Thing to do in the summer.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

people who take their paddleboards into the lineup are scum

just paddling up and down the coast and catching waves is fine along with calmwater paddlin' though.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
As along as I can still be a shoobie.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

We have a dedicated crew of exclusively 40-70 year old men who terrorize the lineups with their stupid paddleboards because they can't compete on normal equipment. I have personally had several near-misses where some kook falls off their paddleboard and all of a sudden a giant 50 pound board is shooting directly at my face.

One time I actually had to deflect an airborne paddleboard with my hands while riding a wave, that was the stupidest loving thing I've ever experienced in the water.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

As along as I can still be a shoobie.

Literally never heard this term

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 31, 2019

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Taima posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWLGifMXBs4

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Chinatown posted:

people who take their paddleboards into the lineup are scum

just paddling up and down the coast and catching waves is fine along with calmwater paddlin' though.

These things are made for the river in Colorado, my wife tears up the rapids.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

Being a real Squid right now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Renegret posted:

How so?

I should've also mentioned that their beach is an enclosed Bay so the water is perfectly calm and is only 6ft deep at it's lowest point during high tide. So it's impossible to surf but a blast to kayak. The paddle board is just Another Thing to do in the summer.

Because it isn't OG. Only OGs know how to surf FOR REAL. No other people are allowed into the sport without paying their dues and learning and getting frustrated and then quitting something that may have brought them great joy.

Lol you fool. You buffoon!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Being a real Squid right now.

Ah poo poo. It was in fact me, who was the clown.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Taima posted:

quote:

The term "shoobie" originated in the late 1800s, and it derives from daytrippers taking the train to the New Jersey beach, with their ticket price including a boxed lunch packed in a shoe box.

ie. clueless beach tourists

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Buy this tequila

PBUClooney

That is a spectacular deal. I wish they had it at my local chapter.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Tried the al pastor salad today. It’s not bad; it’s good that they’ve added a vegan option, and for a fatty like me it’s good that I can get something with vegetables. And it tasted good (though I had to laugh at the “banh mi dressing” that was basically Russian dressing). Only thing weird was that it was cold. If the protein had been heated up separately and added to the salad, it would have been about ten times better.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Tried the al pastor salad today. It’s not bad; it’s good that they’ve added a vegan option, and for a fatty like me it’s good that I can get something with vegetables. And it tasted good (though I had to laugh at the “banh mi dressing” that was basically Russian dressing). Only thing weird was that it was cold. If the protein had been heated up separately and added to the salad, it would have been about ten times better.

The dressing feels a little bit too "heavy" for a salad. I still get it occasionally though.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The dressing feels a little bit too "heavy" for a salad. I still get it occasionally though.

Agreed. Some sort of vinaigrette would be better.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I haven't been to Costco in a while and I was going to go today. I stopped at one store I needed to go to, bought my stuff, and then got sick while I was walking back to my car in the parking lot.

I had to abort ASAP and retreat back home without stopping at the 'co. Someone please have a dog for me.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

ie. clueless beach tourists

How can you really be a clueless beach tourist, isn't going to the beach to relax and enjoy the ocean like the entire point of beaches? That'd be like getting mad at a family grilling in the park or something.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

How do I not spend $500 every time I go to Costco?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

sweet thursday posted:

Bring a friend who will take non essentials out of the cart and put them back after you add them to your cart.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sweet thursday posted:

let me know if you learn the secret. i went the other day with the gf and I estimated we got about $350 worth of stuff. our bill was...$630 :negative:

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

sweet thursday posted:

You just have to go multiple times a week, so each time you go you're only spending like $50.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

PokeJoe posted:

let me know if you learn the secret. i went the other day with the gf and I estimated we got about $350 worth of stuff. our bill was...$630 :negative:

Wtf! My usual run is around $80-130, rarely push $200. Of course I go ever 1-2 weeks...

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

arisu posted:

Bring a friend who will take non essentials out of the cart and put them back after you add them to your cart.

lol that's my husband...I put things in and he takes them out again "Why is this in here? We don't need this!".... and vice versa. together I estimate we save so much $$

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
That's part of why I like going to the business center instead of the regular Costco. Not only is it marginally closer, it doesn't have nearly as many impulse buys lying around. I usually pop in just for some essentials and a dog, so I rarely go over $60-80.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Don’t get a cart.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

secular woods sex posted:

Don’t get a cart.
That absolutely helps but I have two large shopping bags and it starts to get real loving heavy after I’ve loaded them up with wine and those giant $3 vinegar jugs (great for cleaning)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Just go and by w/e staples costco has consistently good deals on (mushrooms, dairy) and only ever get stuff on sale that you actually want/need at the moment. If you see something you're interested in that isn't on sale, just make note of it and wait for it to go on sale. If there's a couple things on sale you want but fill a similar purpose (like their endless options of snacks/frozen foods) just stick to whichever one you want most and try not to be so fat.

GF and I go maybe every other week and we usually spend less than like 40 unless it just happens to be one of those months where we ran out of a bunch of things at once and there haven't been any decent sales at the other places we shop at. I'd venture a guess that the people consistently dropping hundreds are hoovering up way too much processed garbage cause yeah you can have a spendy costco trip once in a while even if you're eating pretty clean (like buying some good fish/meat) but you're probably not gonna do that more often than once a month or so unless you're straight up eating pounds of it on a daily basis.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

SirPablo posted:

Wtf! My usual run is around $80-130, rarely push $200. Of course I go ever 1-2 weeks...

we go about once every other month and usually spend much closer to $200.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco stopped selling the 36 sq. ft. interlocking foam floor tiles for $9.99 and now only sells a different brand 24 sq. ft. interlocking foam floor tiles for $19.99. What a rip. :mad:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I don’t eat meat but my kid is loving eating the frozen chicken corn dogs like there’s no tomorrow.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Disco Salmon posted:

lol that's my husband...I put things in and he takes them out again "Why is this in here? We don't need this!".... and vice versa. together I estimate we save so much $$

“Save”. Are you my wife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Costco stopped selling the 36 sq. ft. interlocking foam floor tiles for $9.99 and now only sells a different brand 24 sq. ft. interlocking foam floor tiles for $19.99. What a rip. :mad:

Yeah, just found that out. I bought their octopus tentacle kids pool, and wanted to have some nice foam tiles from them to put under it in my backyard. It would have been $60 in foam tiles now though, so that's out of the question.