Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Judging by the brief sequence after the credits roll, Godzilla and Kong probably have some things to worry about other than themselves in the next flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress this movie was so god drat good

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Verisimilidude posted:

this movie was a trash fire

the story was garbage, almost every scene was just expository dialogue explaining what was happening to the audience, and worst of all the giant monster fights were genuinely bad, short, and lacked any impact or spirit

I'm a huge godzilla fan and this movie was just terrible. my expectations weren't particularly high, I'm not some godzilla purist or anything, I just wanted a dumb movie where monsters fight and it looks cool

this was rotten. it has no redeeming qualities beyond the trailer

I'm with you on this. My 8 year old liked it but even he said the non monster parts were stupid and boring.

But, man:

- The loving CONSTANT shaky cam and way too many close ups during fights made it really hard to follow a lot of stuff. like a large scale Batman Begins fight sometimes.

- WHERE are they evacuating everyone TO, exactly? Jesus Christ, they show the whole planet being urbo hosed by monsters, bad weather and natural disasters. But we managed to get everyone out of Boston in, what, 12 hours?

- Speaking of that: Everyone had fast travel. Even the speed that the monsters moved was a stretch but the god damned humans were moving around like Superman or the Flash. There were way too many easy coincidences for the characters too.

- So...they just left the Orca macguffin out int he open and unduarded for Seven to steal it effortlessly? And how'd they know she was in the bathtub when they went home?

- Other monsters just "arrive" at the end somehow and all at the same exact time? What's everyone else and the entire world's military while these things are moving at light speed around the earth?

- Uh..."Atlantis" had no water? That deep under the sea? Just so the dude could get out and touch godzilla? I guess that was the "underground tunnels" exposited by the most annoying character in the movie?

- LOL @ "oxygen eliminator" delivered with a straight face. Yeah, great idea.

- The biggest offender by far though: Horrible acting not helped by even worse writing. That one dude who was a one man quip machine supporting character? Jesus God. The one dimensional male lead was like a character out of Independence Day. Another awful performance and laughably bad motivation for the female lead. "Seven's" job was basically to make one facial expression the entire film. Just terrible characters, rotten dialog and ridiculous performances all around. I didn't like ANY of the characters at all.

Positives:

- some good set pieces, still shots, panoramics and action scenes, plus a well done sense of scale and a couple of cool "hell yes", goosebumpy moments

- Great effects and sound

- Rodan was a highlight. Volcano emergence was my favorite monster breakout scene

- Mothra was handled well. A silly monster done very cool.

That's about it though. I was bored senseless for long stretches, rolling my eyes a lot, cringing and laughed out loud a few times (for the wrong reasons).

I know we don't go to Godzilla movies for the dramatic character reads or a realistic story but come the gently caress on with this. At least with some of the goofier rubber monster ones we can laugh at the "Story" and the dialog. I expected much better.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 1, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

- Uh..."Atlantis" had no water? That deep under the sea? Just so the dude could get out and touch godzilla? I guess that was the "underground tunnels" exposited by the most annoying character in the movie?

Air pockets are a thing.

quote:

- LOL @ "oxygen eliminator" delivered with a straight face. Yeah, great idea.

Are you familiar with this series at all?

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

Waffle House posted:

Judging by the brief sequence after the credits roll, Godzilla and Kong probably have some things to worry about other than themselves in the next flick.

Yup. my money's on either Mecha-Ghidorah, or, based on the inclusion of the Oxygen Destroyer, a version of Destroyah grown from a mutated Ghidorah head. Either would be awesome. Including mecha elements would be a new and interesting contrast to the very primitive vibe of Kong. But then, Destroyah could be absolutely terrifying if done right.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I really liked Whitford, which is weird cuz I'm definitely over that Marvel style quipping. I don't know why, he worked for me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm hoping for Destroyah. Mecha-Gidorah is underwhelming unless a side note but Destroyah, the killer of Godzilla, seems threatening.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Are you familiar with this series at all?

Here and there. Not a die hard but I've enjoyed some of the movies.

I also loved Skull Island, which was way better than this thing.

Also agree that the male lead was terrible and also that, for some reason, no matter who was around or what they were doing, everyone deferred to him.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

stratofarius posted:

I really liked Whitford, which is weird cuz I'm definitely over that Marvel style quipping. I don't know why, he worked for me.

He was essentially Rick Sanchez, down to his name being Rick I think. I didn't find anything shockingly offensive about his one-liners.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Here and there. Not a die hard but I've enjoyed some of the movies.

The Oxygen Destroyer is straight from the very first movie.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Honestly I was hyped as hell for this and severely let down. How do they keep putting the same Hollywood bullshit in so many movies? The only way I can enjoy rewatching this is by telling myself, "It's a movie about giant monsters, it's okay if nearly everything about it is stupid." But that works much easier when it's guys in rubber suits, not 21st century CG.

"God........... Zilla!" Oof.

Worst part was the sense of scale, both physically and time-wise. How big is Ghidorah's head? How long would it take a helicopter to fly from Antarctica to Mexico? How many embarrassing lines from ethnic characters can fit in one movie?

gently caress.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

The Golden Gael posted:

He was essentially Rick Sanchez, down to his name being Rick I think. I didn't find anything shockingly offensive about his one-liners.

The fortune cookie gag was worse, especially since they had to add a third beat with "it was a long one" or whatever the line was in the original.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

YaketySass posted:

The fortune cookie gag was worse, especially since they had to add a third beat with "it was a long one" or whatever the line was in the original.

I forgot about that actually, which I guess is better than hating it so much it sticks out.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i'm just bummed out after seeing this

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Golden Gael posted:

Relatedly, was I the only person who noticed a Rick decal on Madison's laptop? I'm not sure if that's what I saw but it looked a loving lot like Rick.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Stairmaster posted:

i'm just bummed out after seeing this

I kind of agree with this sentiment. The ending seems to suggest that all Godzilla did was become a more powerful version of King Ghidorah, complete with the potential of him becoming as dangerous toward humanity. I want my loving Showa Godzilla back, dammit!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Dammerung posted:

I kind of agree with this sentiment. The ending seems to suggest that all Godzilla did was become a more powerful version of King Ghidorah, complete with the potential of him becoming as dangerous toward humanity. I want my loving Showa Godzilla back, dammit!

The credits imply that he and all the kaiju basically start healing the Earth, though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Oxygen Destroyer is straight from the very first movie.

Well I'll be damned. I don't remember that at all but haven't seen it in forever so, OK, I redact that criticism even though it made me laugh out loud in the theater today.

Animal-Mother posted:

How long would it take a helicopter to fly from Antarctica to Mexico?

15-20 minutes.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Maxwell Lord posted:

The credits imply that he and all the kaiju basically start healing the Earth, though.

But if he does it while threatening and intimidating humanity, that just means that he's doing it for them to restore his hunting ground or wolves or whatever they were implying with him. I want him to do it out of love for us.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Most of the complaints about this movie just make me want to grab people by the collar and scream about whether they were paying attention at all during it. Like people who are confused and upset about things that are not only literally shown but also spelled out in exposition is baffling to me. It's ok if you don't like the movie, but bitching because you don't understand things it was very clear about makes me incredibly mad and I would like you all to stop making me angry about a movie about a big radioactive dinosaur fighting a dragon.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Ben Nerevarine posted:

There's one moment in the film when Godzilla and Ghidorah are going at it in a straight shot, and I am jazzed: all the other problems aside, at least I get to see giant monsters duke it out. And then, in that moment of ultimate anticipation, the goddamn Super X rises up from out of frame to block the entire shot. This was the ultimate microcosm: the smooth, gray, flat hull of the human story cockblocking the only interesting thing this movie had going for it.

This shot was maddening because it's such a deliberate move to ruin the kaiju action setpiece and relegate it to the background for more atrocious HUMAN MOMENTS.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this movie overall, because there are a few moments that I thoroughly liked, but I found the vast majority of it (and the /entire/ human plotline) incredibly disappointing.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
So having slept on my hype and as much as I enjoyed the movie I really can't argue against the thought that this was a Bad movie and not well made. It's bumming me out and making me think this might be it for big budget American Godzilla movies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My opinion of this movie in more detail than "gently caress YEAH HOLY poo poo":

the human parts were whatever. I didn't really feel any deep connection to anyone, but all the actors did fine, and the jokes all pretty much landed. the bit where someone says something that ends with the word "god," and the quippy scientist guy just quietly goes "zillaaaaaaa" made me lose my loving poo poo laughing for some reason, and the fortune cookie gag got a sensible chuckle out of me. MBB was probably the highlight of the human actors- for a character who's not really given a whole lot to work with, she managed to give Madison a surprising amount of personality.

the monster parts were loving god damned incredible. like holy loving god drat. :stare: like i can say pretty safely that, based solely on the monster parts, this is going to be a movie that people use to demo their new TVs and surround sound systems forever. i had a big stupid grin on my face basically from the moment you hear the first SKREEEEEEEEONK over the company logos straight to the loving end credits. there were several parts that had me, right hand to God zillaaaaaaaa, crying tears of joy at the fact that this movie exists at all.

i have like, literally one tiny complaint with the monster parts, and it's that Ghidorah looks a little wonky in some shots. but that's also clearly in service of making his design more expressive, which I loved. so shrug.

Dammerung posted:

But if he does it while threatening and intimidating humanity, that just means that he's doing it for them to restore his hunting ground or wolves or whatever they were implying with him. I want him to do it out of love for us.

the implication is more that he's threatening and intimidating the other monsters to keep them out of our poo poo. Godzilla's arc in this movie is going from force-of-nature to protector, with Serizawa's sacrifice being the thing that makes it more than just a personal beef with Ghidorah and makes Godzilla understand that humanity is pretty much depending on him.

I could still see them heel-turning the big guy in vs. Kong, but I'm suspecting it'll be a BvS situation where they team up against something else, and I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say it'll be Mecha King Ghidorah.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

My opinion of this movie in more detail than "gently caress YEAH HOLY poo poo":

the human parts were whatever. I didn't really feel any deep connection to anyone, but all the actors did fine, and the jokes all pretty much landed. the bit where someone says something that ends with the word "god," and the quippy scientist guy just quietly goes "zillaaaaaaa" made me lose my loving poo poo laughing for some reason, and the fortune cookie gag got a sensible chuckle out of me. MBB was probably the highlight of the human actors- for a character who's not really given a whole lot to work with, she managed to give Madison a surprising amount of personality.

the monster parts were loving god damned incredible. like holy loving god drat. :stare: like i can say pretty safely that, based solely on the monster parts, this is going to be a movie that people use to demo their new TVs and surround sound systems forever. i had a big stupid grin on my face basically from the moment you hear the first SKREEEEEEEEONK over the company logos straight to the loving end credits. there were several parts that had me, right hand to God zillaaaaaaaa, crying tears of joy at the fact that this movie exists at all.

i have like, literally one tiny complaint with the monster parts, and it's that Ghidorah looks a little wonky in some shots. but that's also clearly in service of making his design more expressive, which I loved. so shrug.

the implication is more that he's threatening and intimidating the other monsters to keep them out of our poo poo. Godzilla's arc in this movie is going from force-of-nature to protector, with Serizawa's sacrifice being the thing that makes it more than just a personal beef with Ghidorah and makes Godzilla understand that humanity is pretty much depending on him.

I could still see them heel-turning the big guy in vs. Kong, but I'm suspecting it'll be a BvS situation where they team up against something else, and I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say it'll be Mecha King Ghidorah.

Severed Ghidorah head effected by the oxygen destroyer= Destroyah. That's my guess.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I cannot wait for this poo poo to come out on video, it was extremely gif-able. Also I really badly want to pause and screenshot any times the Monarch organization computers show that big global overlay of all the Titan containment sites so we can get a good fix on any possible monsters we’d see in upcoming films

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Also, while I loved most of the actual Kaiju scenes in the film, Godzilla's final red form was notably lamer and less visually interesting than his standard form. That kinda took the wind out of the one aspect of the film that was doing it for me. Don't trade your cool beam attack for a stupid pbaoe!

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

Bread Liar
Also I think just about all the problems with the human plot in KOTM could be fixed if they just hired better actors for it. Like look at Skull Island and all the ridiculousness of that plot but it was great cause the actors were chewing that poo poo up.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

TowerofOil posted:

So having slept on my hype and as much as I enjoyed the movie I really can't argue against the thought that this was a Bad movie and not well made. It's bumming me out and making me think this might be it for big budget American Godzilla movies.

Godzilla 1998 didn't end it, this won't either. And heck, even if it does, be happy that it happened at all! I never would have imagined that we'd get these sorts of films when I was a kid, and I'm glad we have.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I really would like to believe this, but the big thing for me is Godzilla's first action when he gets back to the surface is to fire his atomic breath off and immediately sneer at the people watching him. Not Bryan Cranston even specifically warns them that he's doing an intimidation display against them. That's not a protector, that's a mafia boss threatening consequences if you don't pay protection money, or some sort of warlord demanding proper tribute from those he's browbeaten.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Just adding to the echo chamber but wow did I dislike this film, which is a shame because I was seriously looking forward to it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dammerung posted:

Not Bryan Cranston even specifically warns them that he's doing an intimidation display against them.

he thinks it's an intimidation display against them, but then it turns out to be against the other kaiju, who bow to him in supplication. :shrug:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

TowerofOil posted:

Also I think just about all the problems with the human plot in KOTM could be fixed if they just hired better actors for it. Like look at Skull Island and all the ridiculousness of that plot but it was great cause the actors were chewing that poo poo up.

I disagree, they were fine outside of the dad guy. For me the problem was that every character was exactly what broad archetype they appear to be on the surface outside of the mom turning evil.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

Bread Liar

Dammerung posted:

I really would like to believe this, but the big thing for me is Godzilla's first action when he gets back to the surface is to fire his atomic breath off and immediately sneer at the people watching him. Not Bryan Cranston even specifically warns them that he's doing an intimidation display against them. That's not a protector, that's a mafia boss threatening consequences if you don't pay protection money, or some sort of warlord demanding proper tribute from those he's browbeaten.

Yeah I read that sequence as a GODzilla saying I acknowledge the human sacrifice as my faithful but you are still beneath me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Certain elements of the film lead me to believe that those Godzilla vs Kong images riffing on Batman Vs Superman might have been a little too accurate.
We've got a Superman Godzilla who destroys an entire city during his fight with an alien. A King Kong Batman who has been out of action for years for unspecified reasons, who may also believe that Godzilla is too dangerous for humanity. We have a supervillain who now has the remains of the alien Superman/Godzilla defeated which they will use to create a monster who is mostly known within the fandoms for killing Superman and Godzilla.

All I'm saying is if King Kong comes out wearing mecha Kong armour and then Godzilla roars MOTHRAAAAA I wouldn't be surprised.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 1, 2019

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

he thinks it's an intimidation display against them, but then it turns out to be against the other kaiju, who bow to him in supplication. :shrug:

After defeating King Ghidorah later in the movie, the other kaiju absolutely did not bow to Godzilla before that.

TowerofOil posted:

Yeah I read that sequence as a GODzilla saying I acknowledge the human sacrifice as my faithful but you are still beneath me.

It just seems petty and sort of pathetic to me is all. I don't like it!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Dad character was extremely divorced

I cannot believe how divorced he was

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TowerofOil posted:

I took it as him literally going "Oh poo poo too much too much too much" and basically vomiting into the sky.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Personally I think Godzilla is like a dog and just sort of does things arbitrarily.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dogzilla.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I thought he was saying "gently caress yeah, I'm back!"

Dammerung posted:

After defeating King Ghidorah later in the movie, the other kaiju absolutely did not bow to Godzilla before that.

It just seems petty and sort of pathetic to me is all. I don't like it!

Im 80% sure they bowed before he shot his breath in the air.