Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Gaunab posted:

I thought he was saying "gently caress yeah, I'm back!"

Im 80% sure they bowed before he shot his breath in the air.

They didn't, although most of the Kaiju did become more docile once the Orca was used at Fenway Park around the same time. The biggest evidence that it wasn't aimed or successful at the kaiju was that Rodan didn't stand down - Mothra wouldn't have died if Godzilla had been intimidating the other kaiju. That, and he looked directly at the people on the boat immediately afterward, he clearly intended them to take note of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Was actually expecting to be let down after the later trailers started with the quips and poo poo but it actually kicked rear end imo. I can see why it has been a little divisive but I’m glad they went all in on making a showa film with heisei characteristics.

Did notice the scale being wonky but it wasn’t jarring enough to pull me out of it. Making the peanuts Chinese was whatever but lmao at then also using photos of the actresses.

WEH fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 2, 2019

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

WEH posted:

but I’m glad they went all in on making a showa film with heisei characteristics.

:aaa: That cracking and pinging you just heard was the sound of my brain shattering.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The movie was great, gently caress the haters.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I actually teared up when Mothra appeared in full blinding radiance, and really liked the noise that Godzilla’s atomic breath made when it was spooling up. It was so fuckin sick. Maybe it was just the IMAX showing I attended but kudos to the foley team for their utilization of low frequencies in this production.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I got mad at people not “getting” 2014 or w/e but I do think you have to be a certain type of fan to properly enjoy this movie.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
I still maintain that Gareth Edwards gave us Mothra (his version) in the criminally underrated Godzilla 2014.

Monarch? Really? The name Mothra on Ford's fish tank. The "egg" they find in the mining accident, along with the fact that it crawled out to sea. It crosses the sea, just like Mothra, then cocoons...weird. Wings look moth-like, legs too. It attacks a train, literally Mothra. A nod to the twins, via the firefighters on the balcony, which was also present in KotM in that picture. Even the eyes are just a different shape, with the same pattern as old school Mothra. I get sort of a Kumonga vibe with the female MUTO, and a Rodan vibe when the male MUTO dives into the ocean to grab that nuke.

Speaking of Kumonga, I could have used way more of that C'thulu rear end looking spider loving poo poo up.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

To me it feels like Heisei era Godzilla film made in the style of an American action blockbuster. The more I think about it the more I think I really loved it, and I can't wait to see it again.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Remote User posted:

I still maintain that Gareth Edwards gave us Mothra (his version) in the criminally underrated Godzilla 2014.

Mothra is a nice monster, though. Nothing like those nasty MUTOs!!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Most of the complaints about this movie just make me want to grab people by the collar and scream about whether they were paying attention at all during it. Like people who are confused and upset about things that are not only literally shown but also spelled out in exposition is baffling to me. It's ok if you don't like the movie, but bitching because you don't understand things it was very clear about makes me incredibly mad and I would like you all to stop making me angry about a movie about a big radioactive dinosaur fighting a dragon.

Like what, for instance?

Gettin a real BvS vibe from this post.

TowerofOil posted:

Also I think just about all the problems with the human plot in KOTM could be fixed if they just hired better actors for it. Like look at Skull Island and all the ridiculousness of that plot but it was great cause the actors were chewing that poo poo up.

This is a good point and, yeah, I found the acting in this movie to be atrocious. Except I found the writing atrocious too so I'm not sure how much of it to pin on the actors. Kyle Chandler has zero gravitas and no charisma whatsoever. Vera Farmiga I usually like but not here.

I'm not sure if you switched the casts that the end result would have been much different but the total unapologetic scenery chewing of Skull Island is wonderful.

Arcsquad12 posted:

All I'm saying is if King Kong comes out wearing mecha Kong armour and then Godzilla roars MOTHRAAAAA I wouldn't be surprised.

LOL. I love this website.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I loved it. Did IMAX. I liked 2014, but I'm also here to see giant monsters punch each other in the face. If you want to see Godzilla slam Ghidorahs head against ice or Ghidorah power bomb Godzilla from space, you will enjoy this film. The soundtrack was loving incredible. I loved what Bear McCreary did with God of War and this keeps the streak going. They play the Blue Oyster cover over the credits and it hits extra hard there.

Also, I watched this in Boston proper, which was a little jarring walking outside after.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

WEH posted:

I got mad at people not “getting” 2014 or w/e but I do think you have to be a certain type of fan to properly enjoy this movie.

I feel a lot of people forget that continuity exists, but tbf it has been five years since the last release

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

This franchise peaked at Tom Hiddleston using a samurai sword to fight monsters is all I'm saying.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone else think that humanity also "bowed" to Godzilla's undisputed rule by not antagonizing him further? The credits show how the Earth is recovering thanks to the Titans, but it doesn't feel as much like a harmonious coexistence and more like an enforced peace. Godzilla keeps the Kaiju in line and the environment recovers, but it's pretty clear that humanity cannot take on any of these creatures without going full scorched earth with an Oxygen Destroyer weapon. The devastated areas like San Francisco that Emma pointed out had become a paradise only did so because they were uninhabitable by humans. If humans decided to expand into Kaiju patrolled territory, it doesn't seem like it would really go that well for them. So humanity is kept in check just as much as the Kaiju are, because we really don't have any weaponry that can harm them without also harming ourselves. That also lines up with the rather uneasy ending of the film, where Godzilla is the undisputed king, but instead of all the cheering like the end of G14, the surviving cast can only look on at the new ruler and think "what happens now?"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this movie loving sucked. well, okay, I'll expand on that. every single scene that wasn't either monsters or Ken Watanabe(barring the hosed up fortune cookie line, what the gently caress were they thinking) loving sucked, which was about 3/5 of the movie, so the rottentomatoes score is pretty accurate. 40% of the movie, the 40%(being generous) that is monsters doing what they do, is fantastic. Godzilla and Mothra have more charisma than the entire non-Ken Watanabe human cast combined. The scene at the end where the kid is running slowly through the collapsing fenway park as the equivalent of The Day After Tomorrow's ~deadly frost chase sequence~ happens except it's the big bad slowly dragging an electric laser beam behind her when he'd casually flicked his head and vaporised two soldiers instantly in another scene was absolutely abysmal. The entire family plot was trash garbage especially since it focused on a person who basically caused a small apocalypse and expected you to feel any sort of sympathy for her after she actively, knowingly, literally pressed The Button to kick it all off. Some of the ideas the movie has, while not original necessarily(monsters being the planet's immune system, Hollow Earth, etc) are great and would be fun to expand upon but instead the movie focuses almost entirely around a family subplot that nobody cared for. Some people in my theater cheered when the humvee got blasted.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

This franchise peaked at Tom Hiddleston using a samurai sword to fight monsters is all I'm saying.

I believe you mean John C. Reilly saying "Death before dishonor".

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The cast of Skull Island should just be the cast for every Monsterverse movie made no matter how little sense it makes

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

The scene at the end where the kid is running slowly through the collapsing fenway park as the equivalent of The Day After Tomorrow's ~deadly frost chase sequence~ happens except it's the big bad slowly dragging an electric laser beam behind her when he'd casually flicked his head and vaporised two soldiers instantly in another scene was absolutely abysmal.

Just to pick up on this scene again and not sure if this was an editing oversight, but did it look to anyone else that when she ran out of the fire escape that giant piece of rubble landed firmly on her head? I only flag it up because it looked like she got solidly clonked by debris, to the point I thought "oh okay she's going to be unconscious and the family will find her here", but no she was fine.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Relatedly, was I the only person who noticed a Rick decal on Madison's laptop? I'm not sure if that's what I saw but it looked a loving lot like Rick.

I definitely saw it also, as did a friend I went with.

Some musings:

- I was surprised we didn't get opening credits ala 2014 but with the theme. Not upset since it served the credits better in the end.

- I did feel like I had to wait around a lot for Mothra to do things, but her string shot was on point. Did Burning Godzilla make Mothra noises with each pulse?

- I didn't notice if Rodan or Ghidorah made their Showa noises, but it was drat good to hear Mothra and Godzilla's within the first five minutes.

- Ghidorah was fantastic in any case and I love his new sounds, along with the Cell-like regeneration. It reminded me of the kind of buff a Shin Ghidorah might have received.

- Tusk monkey and Ood spider looked cool, and I loved how Rodan almost curtsied at the end to our King, but it seemed kinda weird having a MUTO show up and pay tribute considering they eat Godzillas. I loved seeing another MUTO though and it has me wondering what a Showa MUTO might look.

- I do want some daytime fights but Ghidorah gave them the perfect cover to do rainy poo poo.

- They said Ghidorah was only discovered recently, which is why we know so comparatively little about him...but haven't they know about him since at least the 70s?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I felt scammed by this movie. I'm reeled in with the promise of apocalyptic spectacle only for them to keep cutting away from it and obscuring it with non-stop fog and mist. The whole thing was just a mushy grey, soft-focus snooze.

It was like they were trying to do cover up for their special effects shortcomings Spielberg-style but didn't have the skill to do something compelling with the creative limitation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
People talking like the MUTOs were Gareth Edward's Mothra, when they're really Battra.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think that MUTO at the end might be the very last one. Or maybe they're only aggressive against Godzillas when they're horny and wanting to mate.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I felt scammed by this movie. I'm reeled in with the promise of apocalyptic spectacle only for them to keep cutting away from it and obscuring it with non-stop fog and mist. The whole thing was just a mushy grey, soft-focus snooze.

It was like they were trying to do cover up for their special effects shortcomings Spielberg-style but didn't have the skill to do something compelling with the creative limitation.

Did you and I watch the same movie? Because the spectacle was on full display. They weren't afraid to show their monsters, not even a little.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Just to pick up on this scene again and not sure if this was an editing oversight, but did it look to anyone else that when she ran out of the fire escape that giant piece of rubble landed firmly on her head? I only flag it up because it looked like she got solidly clonked by debris, to the point I thought "oh okay she's going to be unconscious and the family will find her here", but no she was fine.
I swear it sounded like a giant piece of foam when it hit her, too. Definitely noticed that myself

The Golden Gael posted:

I definitely saw it also, as did a friend I went with.

Some musings:

and I loved how Rodan almost curtsied at the end to our King

If ever there was a Starscream in the new cinematic godzilla heirarchy, Rodan'd be it

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 2, 2019

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

MUTO Talk: The MUTO at the end looked notably smaller. Maybe it was the camera work but it looked pretty tiny compared to the 2014 version. Probably didn't wanna cause poo poo with jacked-up Godzilla.

I want a whole movie of monkey mammoth by the way, he looked cool as hell.

Also on the fortune-cookie line, that was bad, and so was the gonorrhea line.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Leavemywife posted:

Did you and I watch the same movie? Because the spectacle was on full display. They weren't afraid to show their monsters, not even a little.

Let me rephrase that then: the spectacle was pretty bland to watch in my opinion because of the constant rain and fog. I felt like I was staring at haze constantly. Even scenes like discovering the badass massive underwater temple were undercut because I felt like I was never allowed to get a good look at anything.

I just didn't find it aesthetically pleasing. (Despite how beautiful some particular wide angles of the monsters were— they were all too short-lived in my opinion.)

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 2, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Initial reaction: "DOPE as gently caress ! 11/10 !"

I"ll let it sink in and just say that some people are really bad at watching movies. The testimony before the Senate committee was loving titled as being a Senate committee. Anyone wondering if that was Congress or the UN missed something that was literally spelled out in writing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

MUTO Talk: The MUTO at the end looked notably smaller. Maybe it was the camera work but it looked pretty tiny compared to the 2014 version. Probably didn't wanna cause poo poo with jacked-up Godzilla.

I want a whole movie of monkey mammoth by the way, he looked cool as hell.

Also on the fortune-cookie line, that was bad, and so was the gonorrhea line.

Also, pre-end of this movie the remaining MUTO(s) could still be aggressive towards Godzilla because he isn't King of the Monsters yet. They still remembered Ghidorah and therefore didn't respect Godzilla. But now he is the King and they/it submit to him.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Did Charles Dance like, quit the film halfway through?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I did enjoy the monster parts of this big dumb monster movie but the human bits felt especially bad because they couldn't agree on what kind of tone the movie wanted to have. Silly over the top EDF style kaiju movie nonsense can totally work if the characters involved seemed earnest. It just can't work if you have a smarmy early 2000's sitcom character undercutting every last drat thing with dumb comment like an MST3K episode. Fast travel, plot conveniences and OXYGEN DESTROYERS are just about universally understood as charming if silly staples of the genre and people will get it if you respect what you're doing .

Otherwise, the Kaijesus vs. Space Satan coding was great and Mr. Dad Whiteman is Always Right was irritating. ~What the gently caress~ was that fortune cookie line? Mothra was delightful and I'm glad she got to knock out Rodan even if she's usually a jobber in the monster mashup movies. Would watch again if I could have an emtpy theater to enjoy it in instead of having some gross, popcorn snarfing piece of poo poo plop down in the reserved handicap seat next to me.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Did Charles Dance like, quit the film halfway through?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Why is he even in this movie if he wasnt going to do anything? Talk about wasted casting.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Initial reaction: "DOPE as gently caress ! 11/10 !"

I"ll let it sink in and just say that some people are really bad at watching movies. The testimony before the Senate committee was loving titled as being a Senate committee. Anyone wondering if that was Congress or the UN missed something that was literally spelled out in writing.

As one of those dummies, I'll defend myself by saying that there was a green marble backing, like the UN dais. Also it literally does not matter, it accomplished the same thing as a UN or Congress meeting would: Monarch getting laughed at by the powers that be, and cramming in Watanabe's 'pets' line for the trailers.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I like how the big four are listed in the credits as themselves.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really get the complaints about the action.

Okay, I do get one thing. Cutting away during fights got annoying especially in the final fight, but that's just what happens. It didn't ruin anything and we didn't miss anything.

The characters, I also...Mm.

Okay. Let's take a walk here. I'm going to talk about what I would have done to fix the movie as it is- keep everything else. Keep all the other plot points. I'm just going to lay out what occurred to me. You lot can disagree with me or not. I would like to know though.

Remove the three white guys that are part of the main cast. Not Charles Dance, he was great. Dad Always Right, Scientist Joker, and useless tech gently caress. Maybe keep the white haired dude around since he wasn't the worst, just cut out his shittier jokes.

Okay? Okay.

Now take Emma and Maddison and make them more the main characters. Have Emma hate Godzilla. Her son and husband were killed in Godzilla's fight with the MUTOs, and what's worse, the drat thing isn't even enacting change to the planet like she knows he can. He's content to let humanity ruin the planet.

Give her the vendetta against Godzilla and have her wake Ghidorah up out of spite. She wants an alpha to replace Godzilla, to whip the rest of the kaiju up into a frenzy. She puts her hopes on Ghidorah.

So give her that. Have Maddison be her sole shred of humanity left. Beef up Madison's role a bit.

On the G Force side of things, just have the scientists take center stage. There was NOTHING that Dad did that any of the other characters couldn't have done. Especially Mothra Lady. Don't have Sally Hawkins character get killed, instead have her take command for Serizawa after the oxygen destroyer is used. Let Serizawa take center stage, reaching out for Godzilla and standing opposite of Ghidorah and Emma.

Have Emma realize Ghidorah is an alien being after Serizawa contacts her when the Oxygen Destroyer is used and have that shake her. Charles Dance doesn't give a poo poo, so all that can go as planned largely. Emma thinks she can control Ghidorah, she just has to figure out how.

Maddison steals the Orca, Serizawa sacrifices himself, Maddison contacts MONARCH and tells them she has the Orca.

Emma and I don't know, Mothra Lady or Sally or whoever, take point on the ground and save Madison, Emma realizes that Godzilla is the True King and sacrifices her life to save him, there

Because the thing is, and this is the most important thing, Emma wasn't exactly wrong. Waking up the kaiju was the right idea. It was the way she was going about it that was wrong, and specifically who she backed as Her Alpha that was wrong. Ghidorah is a hostile, malicious force of destruction, unlike the benevolent if annoyed Godzilla.

She backed the wrong play and that was her biggest mistake. She did not understand what Ghidorah was and underestimated what he could do.

It would make even more sense for her to release him if SHE had the vendetta against Godzilla.

And Always Right Dad basically DOES NOTHING in this movie. Say what you will about Brody in the 14, the fucker was in the poo poo the entire time. He saved Godzilla's life and stopped the MUTO's children from overrunning everything.

This is how I'd fix King of the Monsters.

Also have Rodan not defer to anyone. Just have him be a chaotic force that only takes the knee after Godzilla defeats Ghidorah.

have him swing at Mothra, Godzilla and Ghidorah, all at the same time. Don't make him subservient to Ghidorah, just have him go harder.

that's the only monster thing that bugged me really beyond giving Mothra more screen time.

Even then, I loved this movie and I loved that it was made. I love that its a NeoShowa Slam Down and the way it handles the kaiju is pitch perfect.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I re-watched Destroy All Monsters since it seemed appropriate. It has a lot of similarities to KotM and Gareth Edwards said he wanted to make a sequel inspired by it, although I wonder how much if any of his ideas ended up on screen.

1) DAM sadly enough feels better made in a lot of ways. There are actual shots showing post-Kaiju destruction of major cities, something that KotM somehow never found time to bother with despite being like 45 minutes longer. I don’t understand where all that time went in retrospect considering DAM had a typically insane plot and lasted all of 88 minutes.
2) KotM has more monster-on-monster action, but DAM is arguably more satisfying. More time is spent ravaging cities before the final showdown. Ghidorah gets absolutely curb-stomped in this movie; I honestly don’t understand how those Kilaaks thought he could take on like 8 Kaiju solo.
3) A non-anamorphic widescreen DVD unsurprisingly looks godawful on a 65” TV

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The only thing this movie has going for it are the visuals. 90% of the awesome visual scenes are shown in the first couple trailers so save yourself the ticket price and watch those on Youtube.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just came out of the film and so my thoughts are still fresh and uncollected, but here are some of my initial impressions:

The film rules, but it is weird. It's Showa-like, but it ain't Showa. It's more like the best (and highest budget) possible version of some 16-year-old's fancomic. It's willing to be very goofy, and that's a bit of a tone shift from 2014s more somber take.

It's far from flawless, but it feels confident. At no point did I feel like the film was anything but exactly the film its creators set out to make.

It's might still be the weakest of the three Legendary giant monster films, but I mean that as the faintest of damnation.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 2, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

david_a posted:

I re-watched Destroy All Monsters since it seemed appropriate. It has a lot of similarities to KotM and Gareth Edwards said he wanted to make a sequel inspired by it, although I wonder how much if any of his ideas ended up on screen.

1) DAM sadly enough feels better made in a lot of ways. There are actual shots showing post-Kaiju destruction of major cities, something that KotM somehow never found time to bother with despite being like 45 minutes longer. I don’t understand where all that time went in retrospect considering DAM had a typically insane plot and lasted all of 88 minutes.
2) KotM has more monster-on-monster action, but DAM is arguably more satisfying. More time is spent ravaging cities before the final showdown. Ghidorah gets absolutely curb-stomped in this movie; I honestly don’t understand how those Kilaaks thought he could take on like 8 Kaiju solo.
3) A non-anamorphic widescreen DVD unsurprisingly looks godawful on a 65” TV

Holy gently caress do you still have the old ADV release? Ditch that poo poo and get a version that isn't awful, it went back in print a few years ago iirc

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I went and saw it again. Still good, would be a 100x better if there wasn't the goddamned shaky cam constantly, especially the first time Ghidorah shows up and starts playing with the helicopter. And half the initial fight scene with Rodan, the camera is just always shaking.

Couple minor things I noticed on the second watch: On Maddie's laptop, one of the emails talks about a theorized lost civilization that's underwater somewhere near the North Sea. The other is one of the ships refers to itself as the USS Brody which should be a reference to Brody from 2014.

Unless I got his name wrong.

Edit: I also can't wait for 4K release so we get some good caps.

I want to see a still of Ghidorah's head as it zooms towards the camera while chasing Emma in the Hummer.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean KotM not being as good as Destroy All Monsters is not really damning since DAM is a goddamn masterpiece