Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lulu isn't the best example. I ranted about this when I last played FFX but her Sphere Grid is hot garbage. She gets almost no nodes to increase her Mag stat.She also doesn't get that many Mag+ dolls, you have to be lucky enough to get good ones from random encounters. Kimahri meanwhile gets a Spear with something like Magic +30% IIRC from one of the kind NPCs who gives you free stuff so he can end up being a better mage than Lulu pretty early on.

Wantz on Gagazet sells a doll for Lulu with 4 slots increasing her Magic damage which I take as the game apologizing for loving her up so badly. Even with that Booster Mog Lulu only does about as much damage as Yuna does without all those boosts.

I wouldn't mind trying to send Lulu down another path in a future run and making Kimahri my Black Mage.

Also Tidus on Rikku's path is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if you're using stock or found equipment in ffx you're doing it wrong

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Quick hit being the endgame is what makes FFX a meh-tier FF to me. No flashy magicks, no clever gearing combinations, no loopholes.

It's just dull

I mean, just don't use it. I never do. you can tear it apart any number of ways, and there are plenty of fights with their own gimmicks (my favourite one might be that fight in the calm lands that you can completely cheese with Provoke)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

if you're using stock or found equipment in ffx you're doing it wrong

You can't really customize good stat increasing equipment for most of the game as far as I could see. You'll be stuck making +5% trash and you won't be making +10% or beyond weapons for a long, long time. You just have to hope to find them or buy them.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 2, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The most powerful weapon I remember in all of early to midgame FFX was a First Strike sword I bought for Tidus since getting a free turn was a giant advantage

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

You can't really customize good stat increasing equipment for most of the game as far as I could see. You'll be stuck making +5% trash and you won't be making +10% or beyond weapons for a long, long time. You just have to hope to find them or buy them.

steal/bribe :shepicide:

i think the game tosses you just enough too cook a couple +20%s in each category by macalania and at least one 40% by the time you finish the stuff in bevelle, and of course once you reach the calm lands you should have access to enough areas to farm your own mats provided you know where to find them

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

steal/bribe :shepicide:

i think the game tosses you just enough too cook a couple +20%s in each category by macalania and at least one 40% by the time you finish the stuff in bevelle, and of course once you reach the calm lands you should have access to enough areas to farm your own mats provided you know where to find them

I mean...Bribe by the time you get to the Calm Lands? Really? I think I had it by the end of Gagazet at the earliest.

+10% comes from Skill Spheres and 20% from Supreme Gems. I don't think either is at all readily available to outfit the entire party with +20% weapons. I guess I could have missed them. If you can get Skill Spheres in abundance by Calm Lands I 'd legit like to know for my next playthrough. Maybe you get them from Blitzball or something? I definitely never did any of that poo poo.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 2, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The first time I explicitly customised something was Zombieproof stuff on my armor

then Megadeath owned meeeeeeee

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Merilan posted:

The first time I explicitly customised something was Zombieproof stuff on my armor

then Megadeath owned meeeeeeee

Deathproof was the secret.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Barudak posted:

Deathproof was the secret.

the yevon church clearly knew the strat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Merilan posted:

the yevon church clearly knew the strat

I gave it to Auron since it seemed weird he didnt have that innate

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Quick hit being the endgame is what makes FFX a meh-tier FF to me. No flashy magicks, no clever gearing combinations, no loopholes.

It's just dull

I think what bugged me most is the awful voice acting. I think this was the first game I ever played that was fully voice acted. Kinda badly. Of course that doesn’t bother me now because I’ve since played games with far worse voice acting than FFX.

Also Tidus looks so much like Sora. That always bugged me for some reason. Who wears yellow shoes?

Also this game has a lot of really nicely designed rooms and places that are just dead ends with nothing in them, not even a token hi-potion for going off the beaten path.

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 2, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The laughing scene to this day is perhaps the most excruciating bit in a video game to go through

In the UK Tidus is often lampooned for looking just like Meg Ryan. The game's protagonist was never, ever taken seriously here

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The laughing scene to this day is perhaps the most excruciating bit in a video game to go through

In the UK Tidus is often lampooned for looking just like Meg Ryan. The game's protagonist was never, ever taken seriously here

you fool what have you done

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Ancient Forest is a piece of poo poo place for mixing easily-failed puzzles with random-encounters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Oh hell yeah we're 2003 GameFAQs now

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

There are a lot of things X did right! I really like the battle system a lot, I mean it’s ATB that looks and plays super smooth and fast, and I think the sphere grid is a neat way to pretend that a static growth system has options instead of “you gained a level” (and then it does have options once the characters can jump to another.)

But the character design of almost everyone has always bugged me. Why does Wakka have a wicker basket on his elbow? Your shorts are dumb and you can’t swim in hiking boots Tidus. And also nobody wears a belt in Spira because Lulu stole them all. At least the characters are super unique and colorful but yikes.

It’s also an irrational dislike too, but I’ve always hated that you fight the same four or five enemies the entire game. Pallet swaps are a necessary limitation, I get it, but come on! If it flies, it’s for wakka, if it’s round it’s for Auron, if it’s a wolf it’s for Tidus.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate it, but it’s always been a low tier FF for me. But what do I know, my favorites are 6 and 12, so whatevs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate it, but it’s always been a low tier FF for me. But what do I know, my favorites are 6 and 12, so whatevs.

Mogs!?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Ancient Forest is a piece of poo poo place for mixing easily-failed puzzles with random-encounters.

A mastered enemy away materia sorts that problem out. But once you've done it once, the Ancient Forest is easy.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Am I alone in getting the impression of "mundaneness" from most of FFVIII's music, especially the town music and this world map theme? It has none of the wonder or fantastic feeling of FFVII's world map theme. That first ime you leave Midgar is an unforgettable moment for a lot of people I've met and the music is a big part of that. It really conveys how vast and grand it all is.

Blue Fields is just...nothing. The world, judged by that song, is very bland and unremarkable.

See, I think of FFVIII as one of the most diverse/interesting soundtracks and a recent play through after doing 7 confirmed that. It all stuck in my head much more than even 7's (which I do have way stronger memories tied up with, and still love). You go from stuff like Breezy, through to Man with the Machine Gun, The Extreme and this bad boy on a space station.

Currently playing through 9 and would say that has a pretty flat/unspectacular soundtrack, a couple of outliers aside.

Mesopotamia fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 2, 2019

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Am I alone in getting the impression of "mundaneness" from most of FFVIII's music, especially the town music and this world map theme? It has none of the wonder or fantastic feeling of FFVII's world map theme. That first ime you leave Midgar is an unforgettable moment for a lot of people I've met and the music is a big part of that. It really conveys how vast and grand it all is.

Blue Fields is just...nothing. The world, judged by that song, is very bland and unremarkable.

I like the overworld theme in VII but I wouldn't call anything about the world map unforgettable, and I don't think it's really apt to compare it to VIII because the two worlds are completely different. in FFVII, it's much more of a journey, because the world is almost completely disparate--in VIII, everywhere except Esthar pretty much is connected by the world-wide train service.

also, you get to the overworld in VIII way faster than you do in VIII, so it would be more fair imo to compare it to the invasion scene and I will remember this scene way more than anything about VII's opening up to the overworld. VIII is my second favourite soundtrack, though, and I have a lot of love for Blue Fields. there are winners all over it--SeeD for the dramatic mission explanations; Don't Be Afraid, which is probably my favourite battle theme; Only a Plank Between One and Perdition for an excellent sense of tension; The Landing as mentioned above; Liberi Fatali for one of the best openings of any in the series and probably one of my favourite songs in the whole series.

I can see why people wouldn't jive with it as much, but the world and everything about VIII have always way more resonant to me than anything about VII

fightwithcrayons posted:

Currently playing through 9 and would say that has a pretty flat/unspectacular soundtrack, a couple of outliers aside.

this, however, is violence.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
The main theme throughout FFX has a couple bars lifted from the Christmas carol What Child Is This. It’s super obvious but only maybe 1/8 of the total melody.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I never knew that the updated script for the FF7 rereleases still doesn’t fix the warning for Guard Scorpion

guess it’s become too much of a classic to lose

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I got hosed up so badly by that mistranslation

Attack while the tail is up!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm not sure why both FF6 and 7 introduce you to that mechanic in the tutorial boss when it's used maybe... once in FF6 and never again in 7?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm not sure why both FF6 and 7 introduce you to that mechanic in the tutorial boss when it's used maybe... once in FF6 and never again in 7?

I don't think the idea is to train you on that specific gimmick, I just think it's a tutorial on "boss fights usually have gimmicks and are not just straightforward fight/magic/heal".

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

it's a tutorial on how the atb system works in practice

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’m replaying FFVIII for the first time in at least 14 years, and with the wealth of easily accessible information available compared to back in the day, the junction system is hilariously easy to break. I’m currently going through the battle of the gardens and Squall is my highest level character who might hit level 15 by the time disc 3 starts.

It also took me until 2019 to notice that the radio static on the giant screen in Timber actually spells out stuff.

Anyway, I’ve heard a lot of good things about FFXV, but haven’t gotten on brilliantly with later FF games. Given my opinions on the games I have played, can folks tell me if I should give it a go?

FFVI - played well after original release, liked it.
FFVII - played a few years after original release, still haven’t finished it for some reason, love it.
FFVIII - played and finished at original release, love it.
FFIX - played and finished at original release, love it.
FFX - played and finished a few years after original release, liked it.
FFX-2 - played a few years after original release, disliked it.
FFXII - played at original release, got bored.
FFXIII - played at original release, strongly disliked it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fightwithcrayons posted:

this is a killing

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Anyway, I’ve heard a lot of good things about FFXV, but haven’t gotten on brilliantly with later FF games. Given my opinions on the games I have played, can folks tell me if I should give it a go?

ff15's plot is a loving disaster because it's a victim of a black hole dev cycle, but its character writing is amazing. if you want to play as four bros on a road trip then this is the game for you. if you want a heavy story about crystals and saving the world... well...

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 2, 2019

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

If you want to play as four bros on a road trip then this is the game for you. if you want a heavy story about crystals and saving the world... well...

Watch the movie? I found the game is impossible to understand without seeing the movie and the movie is impossible to understand without playing the game. Major things happen in both that are explained in the other. FFXV is a lot like a sort of Tolkien story without any exposition. All style, the substance is there, but much was left out.

What I do like is even after you are leveled and geared up enough to take on the big boss, you are still not powerful enough to fight all the random monsters that wander around at night in Hammerhead.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Be Depressive posted:

Watch the movie? I found the game is impossible to understand without seeing the movie and the movie is impossible to understand without playing the game. Major things happen in both that are explained in the other. FFXV is a lot like a sort of Tolkien story without any exposition. All style, the substance is there, but much was left out.

it's more than just that, like everything after chapter 5 feels like there was supposed to be dozens of cutscenes and fmvs somewhere and there just... weren't. huge things happened around the world and everyone acts like they know what happened but you the player are like wait what are they talking about, you wake up and your car is mysteriously gone and not in a funny late 90s movie kind of way, the death of jared is of course a natural point of confusion, people say the meteor has disappeared but i can't tell the difference, for some reason at the end of the movie luna is going on her own road trip to deliver the ring to the bros but now suddenly she isn't????

i never thought i'd say this after the movies-you-play of the PS2 generation like fuckin Xenosaga, but FF15 felt like it was missing hours of exposition that were actually desperately needed

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 3, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FFVII:

The strongest aspect of the story is the pacing. You can beat the game in 25 hours and most of the dungeons aren't terribly long. A lot of Final Fantasy plots are like Chimeras, in that the starting conflict and the ending conflict are almost completely divorced like a Bad Simpsons episode: I'm a emotionally-withdrawn young man in the middle of a war > I must stop a mind-controlling witch from the future. Let's kidnap a princess in this adorable setting > Every city gets razed to the ground and I'm a vessel for destruction. VII establishes early on that you have to get Sephiroth, and every twist and turn complicates that goal instead of changing it. I'm surprised that they mention Barrett was an eco-terrorist in the last hour of cutscenes.

I straight up cheated to master materias quickly and to avoid forcing two chocobos to gently caress. Chocobo Hot and Cold is the gold-standard for fun side-activities involving giant-chickens, having to race said chickens can go gently caress itself.

What I hate about the minigames is that success for a first-time player can be a crapshoot, you can screw yourself out of a unique prize without knowing, and it's hard to get a feel for something you can't prepare for: You have to master the squats the first time you try, you have to be psychic to know which barrels to push, if you screw up in the cliff or the forest you have to start all over again.

Does Vincent have any focus outside of his introduction and his quest?

For one of the most expensive games ever made they could have put epilogue pictures in the end-credits, just to provide greater closure without having to rely on any expanded-universe nonsense.

The story gets hard to follow at points, and I wonder if the moments people praise for their ambiguity are just a consequence from the rushed translation instead of any real artistic-intention. Would anyone give a poo poo about the Venus de Milo if she had both arms?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 3, 2019

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsJuyHsv_E

I don't disagree with most of the overworld music assessments, but FFV world 2 goes in with all those

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Listen, if you don't enjoy forcing animals to copulate for your gain, maybe don't live in a capitalist world.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the ambiguity of FF7's ending was intentional and another reason the compilation shouldn't exist. it's a persistent question throughout the game whether the Planet will just decide it's better off without the human race when all is said and done, and at the last moment it looks like that might be the case until aeris petitions in their favor and banishes meteor. even then, what humanity does with their second chance is left up in the air, with only the abandoned and overgrown remains of midgar providing evidence one way or another

imo the only part of the story that gets murky is the huge materia hunt, because you're never really given a clear reason why you're sabotaging shinra's operation without any sort of counter-plan

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxxidation posted:

the ambiguity of FF7's ending was intentional and another reason the compilation shouldn't exist. it's a persistent question throughout the game whether the Planet will just decide it's better off without the human race when all is said and done, and at the last moment it looks like that might be the case until aeris petitions in their favor and banishes meteor. even then, what humanity does with their second chance is left up in the air, with only the abandoned and overgrown remains of midgar providing evidence one way or another

There's nothing ambiguous about the ending at all. It's the ruins of midgar, the thing the game has been hammering home "This is a big symbol of everything bad humanity has done" to contrast with the good aspects of humanity, overrun with nature while Red XIII's descendants run around. He was kind of the last of the tigermen or whatever his loving deal was so him having descendants is a big "Hey life found a way". Midgar being in ruins isn't "AND ALL OF HUMANITY DIED" its "Humanity moved beyond the ideology that was poisoning the world and themselves".

it's very clearly and obviously that because it directly mirrors the final fight of the game, Cloud, in an idealized version of himself, killing the idealized Sephiroth, finally moving beyond him in both in power and in his own broken brain. It's literally him moving beyond the ideology and literal poison that had ravaged his physical and mental health.

Like if everyone just dies Haha PLanet cruel than the entire deal with cloud defeating sephiroth who had become a literal cyst blocking the flow of life energy for the planet doesn't really loving make any real narrative sense.

it's the Squall is dead theory of FF7. It makes no loving sense given the themes or actual events of the games but it's a cool, pessimisstic read on the narrative.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 3, 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So basically Barret becoming an oil baron was the correct choice.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oxxidation posted:

I never knew that the updated script for the FF7 rereleases still doesn’t fix the warning for Guard Scorpion

guess it’s become too much of a classic to lose

Even XIV references it in Stormblood, which honestly surprised me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Even XIV references it in Stormblood, which honestly surprised me.

Stormblood is All References No Substance the expansion so it doesn’t surprise me in the least.