Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I've played 20 hours of Nuclear Throne and I never beat Lil Hunter, and I got tired of going through the first levels just to die on Lil Hunter again.

Thing dragging the game down: early areas are boring as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inco posted:

I've played 20 hours of Nuclear Throne and I never beat Lil Hunter, and I got tired of going through the first levels just to die on Lil Hunter again.

I don't even want to beat it every time. Or even half the time. I just want to beat it. The game has stopped being fun at this point because it's just repeating the same handful of levels over and over and over

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nuclear Throne could've used some alternate level replacements a la your run starting with either the Basement or the Burning Basement in The Binding of Isaac. Somewhat altered versions of levels with different enemies/tilesets but the same general difficulty. Just something to keep the variety up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CJacobs posted:

Nuclear Throne could've used some alternate level replacements a la your run starting with either the Basement or the Burning Basement in The Binding of Isaac. Somewhat altered versions of levels with different enemies/tilesets but the same general difficulty. Just something to keep the variety up.

It could also use more things to work towards for unlockables. As far as I can tell it's characters and nothing else.

I picked it up looking for something to replace Risk of Rain since I unlocked all the items at this point and Nuclear Throne is not that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's not much to unlock besides the characters and their alt skins. There are a few super secret hidden characters and levels but nothing permanent. Other than that it's more of a high score arcade style game. I guess that's WHY it doesn't have alternate floors and such, because everything is internally consistent and you always know what you're getting into (floor layouts aside), but it is a bit of a bummer that it lacks so much variety.

edit: Also, you're not the only one to feel this way. The developers announced that they were wrapping it up with a 'real' ending and moving on VERY suddenly and the mass reaction was "wait, that's it?" because they hadn't really added anything new to the game since it started its final early access phase. It just doesn't really seem finished, even if it does have an ending.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm glad nuclear throne stayed what it is compared to how BoI just kept getting more and more crap added onto it

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Been playing Rise to Ruins, a pretty decent city manager/tower defense with more emphasis on the the tower part. My complaint is it takes so long to get to where enemy spawn and pressure gets to an interesting point (about twenty in game days) and even at triple speed a game day takes close to twenty minutes.

I keep wanting to start a new region to try different defense set ups, but ugh at it taking several hours till defense really matters.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CJacobs posted:

There's not much to unlock besides the characters and their alt skins. There are a few super secret hidden characters and levels but nothing permanent. Other than that it's more of a high score arcade style game. I guess that's WHY it doesn't have alternate floors and such, because everything is internally consistent and you always know what you're getting into (floor layouts aside), but it is a bit of a bummer that it lacks so much variety.

edit: Also, you're not the only one to feel this way. The developers announced that they were wrapping it up with a 'real' ending and moving on VERY suddenly and the mass reaction was "wait, that's it?" because they hadn't really added anything new to the game since it started its final early access phase. It just doesn't really seem finished, even if it does have an ending.

At least it was only $8. It's a low enough price I'm not too upset but I was looking for a budget Binding of Isaac because the Switch tax on that is ridiculous.

It might a ridiculous amount of unlockables but I'm still not sold on the theme of dead babies

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love Nuclear Throne but I get that it's not for everyone. The things I like about it - fast, short, focused - are the same things that can turn others off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love Nuclear Throne but I get that it's not for everyone. The things I like about it - fast, short, focused - are the same things that can turn others off.

Yeah it's been my go to quick game when I want to play something but do t have a lot of time. For what it cost I'm okay with my purchase I've definitely gotten $8out of it.

I just want to someday see the credits scroll

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inco posted:

This brings down all roguelikes and -lites. Not all runs will see end game content, but all runs will see the same first level, with the same enemies, the same loot, the same spells. It gets repetitive fast.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nuclear Throne has a way to skip the whole first area, by opening all the chests in the first level without killing any enemies. This spawns the boss of the area, and killing him quickly opens a secret warp to a level that circumvents the whole desert and then dumps you off in the final junkyard level. The downside is that you miss out on leveling up and probably rarer guns, but the upside is the game's difficulty doesn't increase to compensate so it'll be as if you've only cleared 3 levels instead of 6-ish.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Call of Cthulhu has lots of little audio issues annoying me as I face the indescribable eldritch horrors that exist at the edges of human comprehension and which will drive me insane and screaming into an eternal void of madness from which there is no earthly escape

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More like old nameless.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I've been enjoying Void Bastards quite a bit. Sadly, the map and navigation is just flat loving trash that makes the hunt for items godawful tedious.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So Team Sonic Racing, while very fun, has some loving atrocious online sometimes, but in particular the biggest problem is you can only quickplay casual mode, and that one for some reason has map and gamemode selection tied together, and almost all the alternate modes are very trash. One is just rockets (green shells) and another is only boosts, but because of how the team mechanics work, you can just pass a box back and forth and get triple items every time, including passing it to a cpu and then back to yourself. Another is almost the same drat thing but with rings slowly draining and a lot of purple void wisps to grab them faster. The only fun one is where lightning strikes on a regular visible interval and all the items are invincibility, which can also be used to spin out other people, so you try to manage it while playing aggressively and its quite fun.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Yakuza games / the Kiwami remakes: ( Have only played 0, 6, Kiwami 1, going through Kiwami 2.)

The remakes give you a lot of various costumes, but you can only ever use them in Premium/Platinum mode. Aka new game+.
The games are huge, and with me poking around a lot between missions and doing most of the sidequesty stuff it takes ages to go through the game.
And when I've completed the game, I'm not particularly interested in faffing around in it anymore.

I really wish the loving costumes and stuff were available in the normal game. And it annoys me that they aren't.

( It's a general thing with with sandboxy games like this, once the main story is done, my interest is too. Having certain things locked into new game+ is just so tedious. )

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally got past the level in Mark Ecko's Getting Up that I got stuck on, now I'm at the meat packing plant. I'm overall finding it interesting, the exploration is satisfying and the combat is meaty, even the story is kind of interesting in a sort of American Wasteland sort of way, but then the stealth sections throw all that out of the window by just being annoying. It wouldn't be so bad if you could just beat up all the cops if you got caught and call it "Welp you failed the stealth stuff but NVM", but the fact that the cops infinitely spawn is really annoying, and due to no minimap like a normal stealth game would have, it's almost impossible to tell where the guards are half the time. Also hitting from behind for an instant knockout is a total crapshoot as the button prompt is too complicated and sometimes just doesn't work.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Kingdom Hearts 2: Xaldin is a total failure at his job, but the fight against him is cool.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just saw the new Godzilla movie and the fact there hasn't been a good Godzilla game since Destroy All Monsters Melee is just awful

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I got Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary for, like, 4 euro on PSN, as I remembered it being pretty fun. I don't recall the game freezing randomly when you take damage, or it seemingly applying that damage repeatedly while frozen, so I can die from full health and armour to two shots from a pigcop.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I've been enjoying Void Bastards quite a bit. Sadly, the map and navigation is just flat loving trash that makes the hunt for items godawful tedious.

My only issue with the game from what I've been watching is that your gun is just a JPG that sways around the corner of the screen and man that bugs me so much

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Killer is Dead

What in the gently caress is going on with the ‘Massive Creep to Women’ mini-game? I don’t care if they give you weapons, I’ll slap Wires to death with my impractical tie before I play one of those again.

Edit: I also can’t figure out if the awful plot and dialogue should go here or in the other thread.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The whole Guitar Hero aesthetic is really grating - particularly in Guitar Hero III. All that juvenile macho fake rebellion poo poo combined with in-game ads for Red Bull, Axe and Pontiac (there's even go-go dancers with Axe ads on them). I'd say it was dated, but I think it was lame even on release.

At least it's easy to ignore when you're actually playing a song.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I had Guitar Hero 2 on Wii, and the singer guy's model was terrible. Just a horrible low-polygon Muppet reject. Every other model was fine, but this one was always up front distracting you with its hideousness.

Also those terrible boss battles. They might have been fun to just play without the dumb battle mechanics, and I think they eventually added them as DLC. Which of course left people with Wiis outta luck.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's not even the worst Guitar Hero got up to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1gjAXo05tA

But III did catch a lot of poo poo for the product placement on release, it's not just dated, although it is terribly dated now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo playing Bon Jovi songs as Kurt Cobain, the devil, a skeleton, and an xbox live avatar is hilarious and not at all a bad thing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been playing through the Special Editions of the first two Monkey Island games, and they're generally well-done (the second, in particular). But one thing that's been bugging me is that neither one seems to have a check for keeping your mouse cursor within the game screen - windowed, fullscreen, doesn't matter.
Every time you click outside the game it immediately minimizes and pauses. Not that bad on its own, except that the game is quite generous in deciding that the mouse is outside the game screen, so you end up minimizing the game multiple dozens of times in a playthrough because of how often you need to click locations/objects right at the side of the playable area. The constant loss of focus gets old fast.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Necrothatcher posted:

The whole Guitar Hero aesthetic is really grating - particularly in Guitar Hero III.

I'm glad you brought that up because I remember discovering GH2 and really liking it but GH3 mostly had songs that just weren't...well...guitar driven. It seemed you didn't solo so much as hammer the same button combos over and over again really fast. It was a huge step down from pretending to be Eddie, Slash, Buckethead, Morello and bands like Sabbath, Kansas and Skynard to stuff like Beastie Boys, the Strokes, the Killers, Weezer and Green Day.

I liked some of the songs in GH3 but didn't think most of them were fun to play.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
GH3 was the shifting point of the entire franchise going down, while Rock Band got some traction from being made by ex-Harmonix devs.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

GH3 was the shifting point of the entire franchise going down, while Rock Band got some traction from being made by ex-Harmonix devs.

it wasn't ex-harmonix devs it was literally harmonix

they sold the guitar hero IP to activision after 2, which is why there's such a big drop in quality afterwards

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Brother Entropy posted:

they sold the guitar hero IP to activision after 2, which is why there's such a big drop in quality afterwards

This is also why RB Blitz is awesome, it’s basically Amplitude.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Brother Entropy posted:

Yeah the CEO of Activision was intent on literally driving the franchise into the ground by releasing as many games in the series as possible, with multiple releases per year, trying to squeezing as much money from it as possible to the detriment of everyone.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Hitman 2016 is great (Thanks, playstation plus!) but it's a bit of a shame that this game, with the biggest and most populated levels so far, doesn't have a mass murderer rating like Blood Money. All you get for killing 300+ people is 0 points. And since Diana can now see everything you do there's a missed opportunity for some entertainment value in not having her comment when 47 acts.....unprofessional or when things go awry. Also, something that genuinely annoying, is that being online is a prerequisite for challenge progress which unlocks game features for you despite the fact that the challenges have absolutely nothing to do with being online.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Didn't Family Guy use let's play footage without permission and then the network copyright strikes the original owner?

I'm not sure if it used the footage without permission but they or the network did try copyright striking the source video they used.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm a complete dweeb and my favourite video game of all time is Metal Gear Solid 2. I recently got the chance to play it again for the first time in many years, thanks to the power of streaming on PS4, and I was really happy that I still enjoyed it. Thematically it feels so much more relevant now than it did in 2001, it looks good, it's pretty funny when it wants to be, and the core gameplay more or less still works for me. But it is absolutely not a "perfect game" by any stretch of the imagination.

- Using guns in this game is such a chore. Granted, it's a stealth-based game where you're encouraged not to use your weapons, but in some scenarios it's largely unavoidable. The problem lies in the pressure button controls. I seem to recall that I had once mastered the art of pointing my gun at something in first-person view without firing it, but apparently I've completely lost that ability as now I usually end up firing it everywhere like a madman. It might be that the Xbox version (which I've also played a lot of) improved on this from the PS2 original and I got too comfortable with it. BANG BANG, guards alerted!

- The Substance expanded edition contains a large number of VR missions that typically fall into one of two categories: mind-numbingly boring/repetitive, or incredibly frustrating. The worst of the bunch are the ones you play as MGS1 Snake, but get this, I can't even unlock those levels! I'm stuck on a mission where you have to protect a prone Meryl from an onslaught of guards (over 25 of them) using only the two types of sniper rifle. The series' tendency to gift its protagonists a sudden onset of Parkinson's disease whenever a sniping mission comes up is infamous enough as it is, but I've also found that missions with a large number of targets on-screen at once actually struggle to run properly as well. Your aim ends up jumping around all over the place, like you're looking at a mid-2000s webcam call. Maybe this is just an issue with the streamed version: infuriatingly, none of the Youtube players seem to have an issue with it and will get perfect headshots every time.

- Collecting dog tags for bonus items (by holding up practically every guard in the game and threatening them) is extremely tedious. Thankfully I will not be losing sleep over not getting them all, or finishing all of the VR missions for that matter!

- The complaints about the camera are familiar to most fans I think. I think the game generally uses good angles to suit you if you are stationary, but moving towards the bottom of the screen without a radar, as you will be doing in the Substance-exclusive "Snake Tales" missions? That's like the deadliest game in this game.

- Only the original PS2 version of Substance seems to include the ridiculous SKATEBOARDING MINIGAME. :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Death Zebra posted:

Hitman 2016 is great (Thanks, playstation plus!) but it's a bit of a shame that this game, with the biggest and most populated levels so far, doesn't have a mass murderer rating like Blood Money. All you get for killing 300+ people is 0 points. And since Diana can now see everything you do there's a missed opportunity for some entertainment value in not having her comment when 47 acts.....unprofessional or when things go awry. Also, something that genuinely annoying, is that being online is a prerequisite for challenge progress which unlocks game features for you despite the fact that the challenges have absolutely nothing to do with being online.

It seriously is great but I really hated Marrakesh, the third mission. Going from a Parisian fashion show that's secretly a front for a villainous auction to an Italian villa with a secret underground villain lair to...a destabilized country full of riots was a little too "real world" compared to the cartoony hijinks earlier. The Denver mission two later is similarly awkward (it's about a violent terrorist militia of rednecks) but at least the insane grunt chatter in that one makes up for it. "Yeah, I've decided to practice breathing underwater. I figure, two, three years before I get gills!"

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Grim Dawn, I love you for the sheer amount of loot you spray at me every time I kill even a slightly challenging enemy. It pleases my lizard brain.

Grim Dawn, I hate you for making 99.999% of that loot absolutely worthless other than to sell for gold, of which I have a stupendous amount.

This games been scratching my Diablo itch perfectly in every other respect, but I really shouldn't be using level 12 boots with a level 50 character simply because they have an item specific AOE stomp that makes just about every swarm encounter much more fun to play. I don't expect legendary or epic items every ten minutes, but I shouldn't be able to play a 4 hour session of a game like this, screen every items stats meticulously, and end it with exactly the same gear I started with. Did I just get lucky early? Who knows, but it's a bit of a downer.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm playing Dauntless and liking it, but Holy poo poo the Embermane boss loving sucks. It's a quadruped, like a dog or lion, whose main pattern is just running back and forth in the most obnoxious way, way faster than you can sprint, letting you only get like a hit or two in after it attacks. It's such a tedious fight that's so poorly designed, it really highlights what prevents Dauntless from becoming something as good as Monster Hunter.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Morpheus posted:

I'm playing Dauntless and liking it, but Holy poo poo the Embermane boss loving sucks. It's a quadruped, like a dog or lion, whose main pattern is just running back and forth in the most obnoxious way, way faster than you can sprint, letting you only get like a hit or two in after it attacks. It's such a tedious fight that's so poorly designed, it really highlights what prevents Dauntless from becoming something as good as Monster Hunter.

What, the Embermane is good, it's pretty much always going to rush you so just smack in the face with a heavy attack to interrupt it. If it runs either bait a charge, or if launches fire run up to it. Every monster is going to be faster than you if it wants to.

IMO the really bad one is the Boreus because it turns invincible until you kill enough of it's annoying minions, something the game is really not designed around. Especially since they keep shuffling out of range once you start your attack, and most weapons don't allow any real direction change during combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Embermane is complete poo poo up until the moment you get a weapon powerful enough to reliably knock it out of its charge with one hit (charged ranged attacks from hammer and warpike can do it well). At that point it'll lie prone for like five seconds, giving you time to quickly chew through its health. It's still annoying then, but at least quick and easy enough to not make the "break off 10 Embermane parts" quest a complete impossibility.