Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Earth continues to be the best sounding live act I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

pwn posted:

And from Bread Dragon, a noisy gooey blast

Better Days is great (sad that was the only one to not include a download, I like taking music with me,) and I love Herb Alert. M-m-m-megaprops to including high-res cover and album art in the downloads - I love it!

It's been a few years so I can't remember the exacts, but that LP was co-released with a bunch of small labels to help make it happen in the USA, and I also did a WFBR-exclusive tape edition with a few alternate takes. All the download codes that I set up were sealed into the tape editions BUT you can get the LP version of the filez pay-what-you-want (aka free baby!) over at the band's own bandcamp page. I'm glad you like it!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Earth night 2 update: I was standing next to Jeff Pinkus from Butthole Surfers/Melvins for the entire set and I silently freaked out the entire time.

They did a flyer but not a poster and only had about seven of these up on the wall, which I immediately tore off:

EDIT: I've always toyed with the idea of a tour poster thread, like how there's a movie poster thread in CineD. Any interest? DOUBLE EDIT: 100% sure I've mentioned this idea before. ver. highrightnowisleepnow

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 27, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
VMP's Rap & Hip-Hop record this month is Southernplayalisticadillacmusic by Outkast and this is the first time the full album has been pressed. The pressings that exist today don't have the full list of tracks so I imagine this one will go pretty quickly. The Classics is Sister Rosetta Tharpe which I may have to grab as well since she is considered the godmother of rock & roll.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’ll swap my Phoenix for OutKast even though I still really like that album. I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be a available for another swap down the line.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
How is the new Earth album?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hot Diggity! posted:

How is the new Earth album?
Imagine an Earth album in your mind. It's exactly that.

Only maybe slightly faster (probably not even enough to warrant the use of the word "faster") and riff-based. I dig it a lot, but you're not gonna sit there all "THIS CHANGES THE GAME!"

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 28, 2019

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

What's a good option for something to store/display 7-inch records in that looks a little nicer than a shoebox?

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 28, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Schremp Howard posted:

I’ll swap my Phoenix for OutKast even though I still really like that album. I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be a available for another swap down the line.

Yeah, don’t sleep on OutKast, that definitely has the potential to sell out this month. Most Essentials releases tend to stick around for at least a month. Flying Lotus and Veedon Fleece are both still in stock for example.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Super Roots 10 was a double LP in Japan with all the remixes but they split it into two separate releases in the states, you might wanna check and see before offering it up. It definitely has a different cover from mine (which I believe is Vol. 1 with the OG version on one side).

Man, I want more Boredoms vinyl. Any era, they need some repressings. Also tour the states again, it's been a decade since the last one!

I don't think they released most of their albums on vinyl, right? I only have a couple EPs, plus OOIOO and some misc. Eye stuff; all the full-lengths are CDs. But yeah, I'd love to see them again. It *has* been over 10 years, sheesh.

I do already have that record, although for some reason my A/B disc has a white label :confused:

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap

Chip McFuck posted:

What's a good option for something to store/display 7-inch records in that looks a little nicer than a shoebox?

any time i see an option for this it's too expensive for what it is and i keep using the same shoebox i've had for 10 years

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

New Sufjan single for pride month! Seven different colored variants randomly shipped (i still asked for a purple in the little message box 'cause why not). Somehow not as gay as the Tonya Harding press release, which was loving awesome.

Toe Rag posted:

I don't think they released most of their albums on vinyl, right? I only have a couple EPs, plus OOIOO and some misc. Eye stuff; all the full-lengths are CDs.
There's some early 7"s along with Soul Discharge off of Shimmydisc, and a couple of Super Roots. In fact, now that I know Super Roots 7 is on vinyl, I'm totally buying Super Roots 7 on vinyl.

My copy of Gold and Green by OOIOO is warped and a loving shame, the album is absolutely astonishing.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 29, 2019

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Chip McFuck posted:

They make mini milk crates that you can grab for $5 or so dunno if they are more aesthetically pleasing than a shoe box. I like the 45 totes https://www.amazon.com/TUNES-TOTE-D...=gateway&sr=8-5 but they seem really expensive for what they are.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sporklift fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 29, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

New Sufjan single for pride month! Seven different colored variants randomly shipped (i still asked for a purple in the little message box 'cause why not). Somehow not as gay as the Tonya Harding press release, which was loving awesome.
As long as one of the “colours” isn’t black. I got the black variant of Pigeons of poo poo Metal and, despite my protestations of “don’t let the existence of better things affect your happiness,” it really affected my happiness l. Why me, why did i have to be the 1 out of 5 to receive boring-rear end black :argh:

Edit: also, lol

pwn fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 29, 2019

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Clearly the writer didn't see The Age of Adz tour.

I'm not into singer/songwriters (or lyrics) at all, but man, when Sufjan goes full electronic acid freakout, I'm 100% into it.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 29, 2019

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
even the Carrie and Lowell tour got pretty crazy, they finished off the first half of the set with an "electronic acid freakout" version of one of the tracks

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I got a copy of the Mario Brothers movie soundtrack because owning that is incredibly on brand for me.

George Clinton, Marky Mark, Queen and Megadeath all together 1993 was wild

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz posted:

Yeah, don’t sleep on OutKast, that definitely has the potential to sell out this month. Most Essentials releases tend to stick around for at least a month. Flying Lotus and Veedon Fleece are both still in stock for example.

Update: OutKast is sold out.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Ballz posted:

Glad I added Phoenix instead of swapping to it :D

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

I thought about grabbing it but it looks like there is no one month option anymore. I got sick of signing up for a dope record and then being underwhelmed for the next few.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

sporklift posted:

I thought about grabbing it but it looks like there is no one month option anymore. I got sick of signing up for a dope record and then being underwhelmed for the next few.

They got rid of the one month option? gently caress em

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

In other news I just found out if you sign up for a subscription on Bespoke Post, there's an option for a VMP box where you get four records. It's normally $45 but first time signups take 20 bucks off so uh, pretty good deal.

Sign up, remove the random box of shaving cream or whatever it is they assign you, then search "vinyl" and you'll see it as one of the options, called the "Groove" box. They have 10 records to select from, and you pick your four.

Edit: I went with Donald Byrd, James Booker, Sarah Webster Fabio, and The Silvertones. The first two were definitely on my to-buy list, while the second two I could take or leave... but at less than $30 this was a no-brainer.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 31, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

In other news I just found out if you sign up for a subscription on Bespoke Post, there's an option for a VMP box where you get four records. It's normally $45 but first time signups take 20 bucks off so uh, pretty good deal.

Sign up, remove the random box of shaving cream or whatever it is they assign you, then search "vinyl" and you'll see it as one of the options, called the "Groove" box. They have 10 records to select from, and you pick your four.

Edit: I went with Donald Byrd, James Booker, Sarah Webster Fabio, and The Silvertones. The first two were definitely on my to-buy list, while the second two I could take or leave... but at less than $30 this was a no-brainer.

quote:

These records are all special-edition pressings you won’t find anywhere else, and each comes with its own combination of liner notes and artwork. Now, you get to pick four of your favorites.

“For the Sake of the Song” by Townes Van Zandt: Get your cowboy hat out of storage, and put on this 1968 debut album from one of country music’s most brilliant — and most poetic — songwriters. It comes on 180 gram midnight blue vinyl (33 ⅓ RPM), with a 12” x 12” art print and an exclusive liner notes booklet.

“Jujus/Alchemy of the Blues” by Sarah Webster Fabio: A blend of poetry and music born from a distinctively African-American tradition, this funky album will upend everything you thought you knew about spoken word performance. It comes on 180 gram black vinyl (33 ⅓ RPM), with exclusive listening notes by Cheryl Fabio (Sarah Webster Fabio’s daughter). Total Pressing Quantity: 5,000

“Silver Bullets” by The Silvertones: Whether you’re a reggae fanatic looking for something different, or someone who hasn’t delved much into the genre, this classic album has some fantastic songs and grooves to discover. This remastered, foil-stamped edition comes on 180 gram vanilla sky vinyl (33 ⅓ RPM), with a 12” x 12” lyrics sheet.

“Let it Die” by Feist: From one of the most consistently awesome indie musicians north of the border comes this album, influenced by everything from Brazilian bossa nova to classic rock. This foil-stamped edition comes on 180 gram seafoam green vinyl (33 ⅓ RPM), with all new alternative album art. Total Pressing Quantity: 24,000

“All Hail The Queen” by Queen Latifah: Sit back and let the Queen show you how it’s done with this absolute banger of a debut from 1989. It’s vintage hip-hop that sounds as fresh as it ever has. It comes on standard weight cloudy clear vinyl with red, black, and green splatter (33 ⅓ RPM), with an exclusive custom stencil. Total Pressing Quantity: 5,000

“Fancy Free” by Donald Byrd: If a perfect summer day decided to make a jazz fusion album, it’d sound like this. Donald Byrd played with, and influenced, jazz legends ranging from Thelonius Monk to Herbie Hancock, and his mastery is on display here. It comes on foil-stamped 180 gram black vinyl (33 ⅓ RPM), with exclusive listening notes by Natalie Weiner.

“The Lost Paramount Tapes” by James Booker: One night after a gig in 1973, New Orleans pianist James Booker took his band into the studio to jam. These resurfaced tracks from that session show off their one-of-a-kind blend of jazz, R&B, and blues, and are infused with indescribable energy. It comes on foil-stamped 180 gram black vinyl (33 ⅓ RPM), with exclusive listening notes by Lily Keber. Total Pressing Quantity: 5,000

“Unapologetic Art Rap” by Open Mike Eagle: The title says it all: Open Mike Eagle spits his verses with a disregard for mainstream hip-hop, overly pretentious critics, and your approval. Which, of course, makes his fiery tracks all the more irresistible to hip-hop heads everywhere. This Half Speed Remastered double LP comes on standard weight blue vinyl (45 RPM).

“TA13OO” by Denzel Curry: Denzel Curry has emerged in the last few years as one of the most powerful young voices in hip-hop. This new release goes from uplifting to braggadocious, care-free to righteously angry — and it’s a whole lot of fun the whole way through. It comes on standard weight metallic marble colored vinyl (33 ⅓ RPM), with an exclusive custom stencil. Total Pressing Quantity: 4,000

“Coal Miner’s Daughter” by Loretta Lynn: Loretta Lynn is the most awarded female country music artist in history for a reason: her honky-tonk-influenced songs are undeniable classics. Close your eyes, and you can practically smell the beer and smoke of a Texas dance hall. This remastered edition comes on 180 gram marbled blue vinyl (33 ⅓ RPM).
Here, I signed up and got the information. These are the records that they are selling.

I remember seeing an advertisement for them on Facebook a week or two ago. Immediate bad vibes. Turns out I was correct. A company that makes you sign up and enter your payment data before even letting you browse the merch is shady, and you should be wary of doing business with them.

After seeing the merch, I had to Google how to cancel my account: Send an email or call them. A company that makes you jump through these kinds of hoops to cancel, who obfuscate this action, an action which could and should be a simple button-click, is shady, and you should be wary of doing business with them.

Anyway the overall, uh, “philosophy” of this business type seems aimed at the “just take my money and gimme stuff” type of consumer, a rather compulsive need to buy and get things in the mail, with only a minimal concern for what the objects actually are. Combined with their aforementioned red flags, I’ll pass. I just hope they actually honour my request that I be removed from the ~club~

(For the record, there are a few records there that looked interesting and I would buy if I weren’t broke as a joke and saving for a damned car. It’s a great deal, about $30 after other fees and the discount, but I’d still be reluctant to give this company my business, and rather regret that I signed up to begin with.)

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ballz posted:

Pretty good deal. Got the same records except Lauretta Lynn because I already had the Sarah Webster. Hope it's easy to cancel.

pwn posted:

Here, I signed up and got the information. These are the records that they are selling.

I remember seeing an advertisement for them on Facebook a week or two ago. Immediate bad vibes. Turns out I was correct. A company that makes you sign up and enter your payment data before even letting you browse the merch is shady, and you should be wary of doing business with them.

After seeing the merch, I had to Google how to cancel my account: Send an email or call them. A company that makes you jump through these kinds of hoops to cancel, who obfuscate this action, an action which could and should be a simple button-click, is shady, and you should be wary of doing business with them.

Anyway the overall, uh, “philosophy” of this business type seems aimed at the “just take my money and gimme stuff” type of consumer, a rather compulsive need to buy and get things in the mail, with only a minimal concern for what the objects actually are. Combined with their aforementioned red flags, I’ll pass. I just hope they actually honour my request that I be removed from the ~club~

(For the record, there are a few records there that looked interesting and I would buy if I weren’t broke as a joke and saving for a damned car. It’s a great deal, about $30 after other fees and the discount, but I’d still be reluctant to give this company my business, and rather regret that I signed up to begin with.)

hmmm. Yeah finding the cancel info was weird. If it comes down to them not honoring my cancellation I will dispute it with paypal.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 31, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

Pretty good deal. Got the same records except Lauretta Lynn because I already had the Sarah Webster. Hope it's easy to cancel.
https://www.bespokepost.com/faq

quote:

How do I cancel my subscription?
You can cancel by texting us at 914.326.2765 or emailing us using this pre-formatted email to help@bespokepost.com (must be signed in). We'll take care of it right away.
Make sure that you’ve removed any boxes from your order before canceling!

quote:

Cancellation of Subscription. YOU MAY CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION AT ANY TIME BY PROVIDING NOTICE TO BESPOKE POST BY EMAILING US AT HELP@BESPOKEPOST.COM OR CALLING US AT 888.565.6762, STATING YOUR NAME AND THAT YOU ARE CANCELING YOUR SUBSCRIPTION, OR WORDS OF SIMILAR EFFECT. You may also cancel by logging into your account on the Site and visiting our FAQ page, for a pre-formatted cancellation e-mail template, which you can send to us. After your cancellation, you will still be charged for any shipments that you have not opted out of receiving prior to your cancellation. If you cancel your Subscription, the cancellation will be effective upon your receipt of confirmation from Bespoke Post of the cancellation, and Bespoke Post will not automatically renew your Subscription thereafter.

:)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sorry, I should have posted the full list of choices in my other post. I think if you search "vinyl" before signing up it'll show the full listing, though...

A co-worker of mine is a Bespoke Post subscriber and was trying to get me to sign up a few months ago. He said he never had problems skipping months or swapping stuff, so I would hope that cancelling/changing your box won't be too much hassle.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

Sorry, I should have posted the full list of choices in my other post. I think if you search "vinyl" before signing up it'll show the full listing, though...

A co-worker of mine is a Bespoke Post subscriber and was trying to get me to sign up a few months ago. He said he never had problems skipping months or swapping stuff, so I would hope that cancelling/changing your box won't be too much hassle.
Thankfully it wasn’t. Charlotte offered me a “beta feature” wherein... i’ll just use her words:

quote:

Before I do, I want to let you know that we do have a new beta feature that allows us to pause subscriptions -- you can put your subscription on hold and don't have to worry about opting out while it's paused. During that time, we'll be releasing 5-10 new boxes each month so after your paused period is through, you might find something that you like. We’ll also shoot over an email before it starts up again to remind you.

But she just sent an email confirming my cancelation, so it’s all good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

Something, something Third Man Records.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Chip McFuck posted:

My wife and I bought a media console to store our small collection of records and put our turntable on, but the only space in the apartment that will fit the console is close to a radiator. I'm a little wary of storing the records near a heat source, but my wife thinks it will be fine since the radiator is a closed loop system so no steam is released into the apartment. Reading about it online seems to be a mixed bag so I figured I'd ask for some goon advice.

The console hasn't been delivered yet, but the records will be approximately four feet away from the radiator. Is that an ok distance or will it totally gently caress the records up?

You're 100% fine.

I use one of those mini milk crates for my 45s, works well for me.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

quote:

Hi sporklift,

Brian from Bespoke Post here. Hope you’re doing well!

I wanted to drop you a line because it looks like you recently signed up and are set to receive the Groove box. Excellent choice by the way — we love vinyl, too.

Here's the thing, Groove is actually coming back for June. We were testing out the box page when you found it (kudos to you), and it wasn't intended to be live just yet. Not to worry though, you're still gonna get the box, it just won't ship out right away. Keep an eye on your inbox in the next week or two for your tracking info.

In the meantime, I wanted to tell you a little bit about how things work here. Tomorrow is June 1st — the 1st is like a monthly holiday around these parts. We'll announce your June box selection in the morning via e-mail, and you'll have until the 5th to switch or opt out.

We've got a great lineup coming your way tomorrow, and we've picked out a box for you that we really think you'll like. Stay tuned, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Have a great weekend!
Brian

Hey Ballz, how did you find the page? Kudos to you btw.

I mean if they keep having some of those VMPs that I missed out on even $45 for 4 isn't a terrible price. The only problem is if you get warped ones I bet it will be a pain to get a replacement. One think I will say about VMP is that I always found their customer service to be top notch.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

sporklift posted:

Hey Ballz, how did you find the page? Kudos to you btw.

I mean if they keep having some of those VMPs that I missed out on even $45 for 4 isn't a terrible price. The only problem is if you get warped ones I bet it will be a pain to get a replacement. One think I will say about VMP is that I always found their customer service to be top notch.

What the... that’s a weird email, and I didn’t get anything similar.

I found out about that box on the VMP replacement forum, Needles and Grooves. Someone sent me the link to it when I mentioned I was planning to eventually pick up Byrd and Booker.

Edit: Oh wait, I did get that email, it just went into my junk folder. So I guess since we ordered it right before June 1, it's technically considered the May shipment and they're about to hit us with the June announcement so we're about to get billed again for another box even though we haven't received the first one. Good thing you can skip months, I didn't want to needlessly complicate things and cancel until after I have that Groove box in my possession.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 1, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Snagged some dope vinyl at maybe the loudest concert I've ever seen tonight.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 1, 2019

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sleep concert? I was on the sound crew for one of those a while ago. My boss went to the work site to check it just as the roadies were wheeling out the band's backline then turned around and pulled every single speaker in our warehouse. I think we doubled the size of our line array and quadrupled the original number of subs just so that we wouldn't get blown out by what they had on stage, which was like five Orange double stacks for the guitar, four original Ampeg SVTs and an orange stack for the bassist. Absolutely insane.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Sleep concert? I was on the sound crew for one of those a while ago. My boss went to the work site to check it just as the roadies were wheeling out the band's backline then turned around and pulled every single speaker in our warehouse. I think we doubled the size of our line array and quadrupled the original number of subs just so that we wouldn't get blown out by what they had on stage, which was like five Orange double stacks for the guitar, four original Ampeg SVTs and an orange stack for the bassist. Absolutely insane.

Yup! Sounds like they have the same setup now

Big Business destroyed too, so freaking good.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 1, 2019

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Poster for this tour is sick as hell:

This is the one I have up on my wall. And Yeah - unironically smoke weed everyday and everything, but I can't stand stoner culture except for Sleep posters.

Sleep is the exact moment when I started packing earplugs to shows because holyfuck.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 1, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Sleep is the exact moment when I started packing earplugs to shows because holyfuck.

SO glad I remembered mine tonight!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember all the big 80s arena tour where the stages would be full of dummy Marshall stacks, and now bands are like ‘let’s do that poo poo for real!’

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Some of those amps and cabs at a multi-amp show can be set up for redundancy, but yeah there aren't nearly as many empty cabs onstage just for show nowadays.

I didn't expect to take home vinyl after seeing Snarky Puppy, but the show was kickass and I changed my mind about the vinyl. We also got to waltz our way into the very front seating - I don't know why there was no GA standing area, as a ton of people definitely would have preferred to stand and groove out...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Snarky Puppy is cool, haven't seen them live yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Just to follow up on that Bespoke Post Vinyl Me Please box, the link for it is now featured prominently on their site as one of June's choices. I guess the earlier weirdness we encountered was just because we jumped on it a few days early. Still the same album choices pwn posted earlier.

I'm not 100% sure if the $20 off is for anyone who signs up for Bespoke Post the first time, or if they sign up by using someone else's referral. If a referral link is needed, I humbly offer my own. :kiddo:

And as a reminder if you're like me and grabbed that VMP Groove box before June 1, just keep in mind you have another order that's going to be processed in a few days so you have until June 5 to change it, remove it, cancel, etc. I was planning on canceling but... but... I actually need a pair of these. They've suckered me in, guys.