Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, they'd established that SHIELD had stopped existing at the end of Winter Soldier (and the movies have only just acknowledged the existence of one of the TV series with Original Jarvis in Endgame), so he'd be unemployed.

Yeah. Agents of SHIELD technically exists in the MCU as long as they don't have to reference it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Max Wilco posted:

See, I haven't seen the last umpteen Marvel films since the first Avengers (save for Guardians of the Galaxy), so I don't understand 85% of the discussion, so I'll just have to agree that the thread's right about the CIA agent who time traveled to WW1 to piss off the undercover Nazi/Hydra agents in SHIELD by recruiting the Winter Soldier to save Blade, so that they can team up with Carmen Elektra and prevent Howard the Duck and Taskmaster from gathering the Infinity Stones to resurrect Captain Marvel and the Merry Marvel Marching Society.

See, this I'd like to watch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Agents of SHIELD technically exists in the MCU as long as they don't have to reference it at all.

The best part about AoS having a giant asterisk chained to its neck was Robert Downey Jr. saying repeatedly that he wanted to cameo or guest star in an episode as Tony Stark ala Sam Jackson in the first season and Marvel Studios brass wouldn’t let him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Koalas March posted:

correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will lmao) but I haven't watched watched BP since Wakandacon.. wasn't CIA dude clowned by everyone (T'Challa, Shuri, M'Baku, Okoye) in basically every scene and not really trusted until the very end when he helped save people and even then it was more of a honor/begrudging respect type thing?

I mean, they trusted Bucky a lot more (even let him live there for months! And gave him a cool nickname iirc) and he was an ex-soviet killing machine. T'Challa didn't really even owe Cap anything.

yeah pretty much. it was basically "you did good pig because you did the right thing for once and you were useful" type deal. i also took it as them trusting that Cap was right about bucky after T'Challa talk with zemo. if worse came to worse, they could always dump bucky at the border or off a cliff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Koalas March posted:

yeah I was with him until he started burning the magic plants and poo poo

yeah, MBJ is loving amazing is everything he is in. i liked killmonger until he shot his gf but still thought he was right until he burned the plants and his plan ended up being "well just give rebels/underclass laser weapons and hope for the best" instead of opening wakanda and openly showing the world its a super duper power and then solving all of africa problems, internal and external while daring the US/china to try anything and then giving weapons to factions.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 2, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Seriously, though, if you want an MCU thing that really examines deep themes you should all be watching Cloak & Dagger. And I'm not just saying that because I desperately want it to get a third season.

OK, that's exactly why I'm saying it. But it is really good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The funniest thing about black panther to me, aside from the ending where t'challa plans to solve racism by teaching oakland kids how to code, is how its extremely obvious that they realized during script revisions that Killmonger was 100% justified in everything he did and completely reworked his character in the third act to t try and distract the audience from this

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dawgstar posted:

I just found out that Spoony's website is gone.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/

:smith:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Dawgstar posted:

Good. gently caress that guy. :colbert:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Koalas March posted:

I didn't get this impression at all and I'm pretty critical of white folks in general lmao

I know you are, it's your best quality and many informative posts have been made because of it!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The funniest thing about black panther to me, aside from the ending where t'challa plans to solve racism by teaching oakland kids how to code, is how its extremely obvious that they realized during script revisions that Killmonger was 100% justified in everything he did and completely reworked his character in the third act to t try and distract the audience from this

Yeah, I got the feeling him casually killing his girlfriend when she outlived her usefulness was a hamfisted way of making him way less sympathetic

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Grimace posted:

i mean i think he is kinda of douche but isn't he like super mentally unwell?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Grimace posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i think he is kinda of douche but isn't he like super mentally unwell?

Yeah that's a... really bad take on a dude whose whole life kind of spiraled out of control thanks to mental illness issues. Yes, he is ultimately responsible for his own choices and he did chose to destroy his career and multiple friendships and professional partnerships, but his mental illness was a big driving factor in those choices. So going "lol gently caress that guy" is a bit harsh in retrospect.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Killmonger killing his girlfriend was Bane revealing the bomb in The Dark Knight Rises all over again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Groovelord Neato posted:

his justification was he didn't think he could judge the film fairly because the original is one of the greatest comedies ever made.

So I needed a memory refresh and I apparently didn't quite remember the video (I remember a totally different one, so whee brain problems) but this still isn't particularly accurate. That said, while poking around trying to get a better picture of the whole thing, I found this blog post that perfectly summarizes what I'm getting at.

In a vacuum, Rolfe's opinion was just your usual nerd detritus that's a dime a dozen on the internet, but in the greater context of the shitstorm and how he presented that opinion, it's a bad look even if he doesn't out and out say "I don't like cuz womz". He actually has an aside where he plainly states the movie having a female cast "doesn't matter"...though also naively implies that everyone calling it the "female Ghostbusters" is simply down to not having anything else to call it because of the re-used title. (And Rolfe's usual annoyance with confusing titles might be something you know about if you're a diehard fan, but from the outside looking in it comes off a lot more flimsy.)

As I've said before, I don't think he's a chud and people jumped to a lot of conclusions, but there was a greater collision of circumstances beyond "woke twitter got trigger happy over nothing".

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

That said, while poking around trying to get a better picture of the whole thing, I found this blog post that perfectly summarizes what I'm getting at.

TBH that blog post is over 1,100 words of pretty much nothing substantive.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah that's a... really bad take on a dude whose whole life kind of spiraled out of control thanks to mental illness issues. Yes, he is ultimately responsible for his own choices and he did chose to destroy his career and multiple friendships and professional partnerships, but his mental illness was a big driving factor in those choices. So going "lol gently caress that guy" is a bit harsh in retrospect.

yeah. like i just feel bad for the dude. like its clear he was always battling his issues and then fame went straight to his head and everything just went to poo poo for him because his own dumb actions and his relationship going to hell. sucks because i still find his old stuff great. i think it all went wrong after his "betrayal" rant. also that video of him talking about twlight thats longer than the movie and has him legit break down multiple times about his failed relationship while brad jones and linkera try to awkwardly to calm down.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What's the proper way to say you don't want to watch the new Ghostbusters movie without getting busted.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
movies are bad

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rujasu posted:

TBH that blog post is over 1,100 words of pretty much nothing substantive.

also who gives a poo poo. the dude has the right to say he doesn't want to watch a lovely remake, just because lib twitter and the chuds decided its the battle of stalingrad of online flame wars. doesn't mean its bad thing to have negative or positive opinion about a movie. like if he had said some poo poo like chud kane said then yeah, gently caress AVGN, but he didn't, neither did RLM.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 2, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What's the proper way to say you don't want to watch the new Ghostbusters movie without getting busted.

well apperently to some there isn't. because if you say you don't care for it/hated it. that means you hate women and womens movies and are a evil reactionary or are helping them somehow. I didn't like that movie, it could have been interesting but it wasted its time on really bad improv and stupid poo poo. i didnt care for WW mostly because of the setting and the weird theme fuckery at the end. i thought black panther was cool but could have done more with its setting and characters same with captain marvel. i thought the last jedi was ok though it could have gelled together better and it felt to broad for the story/themes it was trying to do. i also liked 7. people can have different opinions.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like i just feel bad for the dude. like its clear he was always battling his issues and then fame went straight to his head and everything just went to poo poo for him because his own dumb actions and his relationship going to hell. sucks because i still find his old stuff great. i think it all went wrong after his "betrayal" rant. also that video of him talking about twlight thats longer than the movie and has him legit break down multiple times about his failed relationship while brad jones and linkera try to awkwardly to calm down.
Yeah that twilight review was probably the first big thing I noticed something was wrong. Amazing how long those forums lasted on his site becoming almost like a cargo cult.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Why are you even mentioning that you're not watching it? Surely you haven't watched a lot of other movies, too. :shrug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

remember when spoony was getting 5 grand a month from patreon and just didn't make his movie.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why are you even mentioning that you're not watching it? Surely you haven't watched a lot of other movies, too. :shrug:

he's a nerd and it's a nerd property. i'm guessing he got lots of emails/DMs/comments about it. he seemed pretty ignorant of the mouthbreathers being upset over ladies in their ghostbusters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah that twilight review was probably the first big thing I noticed something was wrong. Amazing how long those forums lasted on his site becoming almost like a cargo cult.

yeah, that was genuinly sad poo poo. like that was like 10 years ago. because i remember not liking those movies in high school for various petty high school goon reasons and thinking it would be fun to see him make fun of it would make my day. but NOPE.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
hypothetically someone could ask me "are you watching the ghostbusters remake" because it's a big popular movie and maybe I don't want to see a remake or something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

he's a nerd and it's a nerd property. i'm guessing he got lots of emails/DMs/comments about it. he seemed pretty ignorant of the mouthbreathers being upset over ladies in their ghostbusters.

this. he did a bunch of videos on the ghostbusters as both AVGN and himself. he probably got spammed questions asking if he would review the movie and unlike alot of nerd types. he doesn't do drama. i remeber when people kept trying to get him to attack Irate Gamer and he didn't even know who he was.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 2, 2019

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Dawgstar posted:

In memorial, I'd like to say that I remember his FF8 reviews, where he started the whole thing with a really crass gay joke, and then five or six videos later came back to start the video by publicly apologizing for that joke. He's a self-absorbed moron, but I hope he does okay and gets better. :unsmith:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dancingbears posted:

In memorial, I'd like to say that I remember his FF8 reviews, where he started the whole thing with a really crass gay joke, and then five or six videos later came back to start the video by publicly apologizing for that joke. He's a self-absorbed moron, but I hope he does okay and gets better. :unsmith:

same. but i don't think he is ever gonna get better or comeback. outside he dogs twitter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. but i don't think he is ever gonna get better or comeback. outside he dogs twitter.

I think it's better for him as a person and everyone else in general if The Spoony One is left to rest in the dust of history as an artifact of mid-to-late 00s Internet Culture. For better or worse, the guy helped create an industry on the frontier and made the likes of basically everyone who came after him possible in some ways. He was the first real Internet Critic I'd ever heard of or paid attention to. Hell, Doug kind of rose to fame off his coattails and everyone else followed on after him. ...But he was also a deeply flawed human being and that creation, intentional or otherwise, ultimately destroyed him.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Well Shaun's video on it is pretty good but that's a review after having watched it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

dancingbears posted:

I feel like a bunch of his long plays still hold up like Ripper and Phantasmagoria 2

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

achillesforever6 posted:

I feel like a bunch of his long plays still hold up like Ripper and Phantasmagoria 2

:same:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

His SWAT 4 videos were some of the funniest stuff he's ever done and it's a shame that they're largely lost to history. It was just a dude being playfully frustrated by a lovely game that he clearly loved anyway.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

John Murdoch posted:

it's a bad look

i wish i were a case of arthritis so i could stop everyone who used this phrase or the word “optics” from typing their thoughts on the Internet

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I think it's better for him as a person and everyone else in general if The Spoony One is left to rest in the dust of history as an artifact of mid-to-late 00s Internet Culture. For better or worse, the guy helped create an industry on the frontier and made the likes of basically everyone who came after him possible in some ways. He was the first real Internet Critic I'd ever heard of or paid attention to. Hell, Doug kind of rose to fame off his coattails and everyone else followed on after him. ...But he was also a deeply flawed human being and that creation, intentional or otherwise, ultimately destroyed him.

oh i know. i hope he finds some peace and lives a nice life off of this bullshit.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Let me interrupt this loving interminable discussion to say Todd has a video about the new Taylor Swift song.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Errant Signal seems to be trying something akin to Jimpressions about small games worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_cP35lhzwA

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
RIP Spoony Experiment, we'll always have the fond memories as a particularly embarrassing phase of our early 20s

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Count me among the people who hope Spoony finds some peace. He was easy to dunk on in earlier, more innocent times, but... like... there's actual Nazis again. A guy who was kind of a jerk for a while because he's mentally ill as gently caress feels like kind of a mean target, and I mostly just wanna hug the dude nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

His SWAT 4 videos were some of the funniest stuff he's ever done and it's a shame that they're largely lost to history. It was just a dude being playfully frustrated by a lovely game that he clearly loved anyway.

"You're in my way, sir."