Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mothrowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I would like this movie a lot more if Chandler and Farmiga's had been cut out all together, they lack the gravitas to pull off the themes about humanity's relationship with kaiju and the family drama is weakest part of the film. Watanabe and Dance's do have that gravitas; If the human part of the movie and had been focused on a conflict between Watanabe and Dance to convey those themes the movie would have been much more compelling. Dance and Watanabe are both good actors (better than Chandler and Farmiga) and the movie wastes that.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 3, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/caroropaez/status/1134895831260123136?s=19 https://twitter.com/sheepysheapzoo/status/1134523603863592961?s=19 https://jojacula.tumblr.com/post/185307658369/i-saw-godzilla-today-i-cried-i-laughed-i-was

For an example of shipping, S.I.R.E.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
A subsequent viewing just now softened my heart...somewhat. I still don't think this is a good movie, or even a particularly good Godzilla movie, but I was able to sort of tune out the bad stuff and enjoy the fan service a little bit more. Now the problem with that is, you can't expect a movie carried solely by fan service to be successful...at least not with a franchise with as relatively small a fanbase as Godzilla (if you're making The Force Awakens, I guess you can get away with it). None of the audiences at any of my viewings were really noticeably getting into the movie, and on my way out of this latest showing I heard mutterings behind me along the lines of "terrible acting" and "I'm not sure I quite get what the story was." I'm inclined to trust the domestic box numbers over the RT audience score (which is in many ways just a study in selection bias) regarding how American audiences are receiving the movie, honestly.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The sad truth is, Godzilla has never had that much of a pull in America. At least not in the mainstream.

If this movie makes about as much as 2014 did total, I'll be happy. I never expected it to pull big numbers, I just hope it can do the one thing any decent Godzilla movie can do.

Inspire future generations of dumb little kids to love the big G as much as I did when I first watched Megalon and such.

And I think it will. Most people won't engage with it, but the people that do, they matter more than anything. This, sadly, doesn't result in short term success, but is why people will keep trying to make new Godzilla movies in the future.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DC Murderverse posted:

As someone who hasn’t watched Stranger Things and therefore has never seen MBB act in anything this definitely crossed my mind. She’s like, 15! And looks like she’s 15. The thought of “that’s the girl a grown-rear end man with a bastard child from a stripper has been texting about boys. Holy poo poo” definitely crossed my mind.

Can't remember which entertainment site it was, but she had appeared at some red carpet event after S1 of Stranger Things had come out, and they criticized her appearance because she was wearing a "shapeless" dress.

She was twelve years old.

Some things (like that site) just need to burn.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/02/media/box-office-weekend-rocketman-godzilla/index.html

It should say "Godzilla stomps all over Aladdin and Rocketman"

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Still reflecting.

Really want to know how much of this movie is on the cutting room floor, especially since it's been doing test screenings for so long.

It felt like the studio wanted a "family" movie, which wasn't what I was expecting after Skull Island was downright mean in places (and only gets better each rewatch), and from a director mostly known for horror.

Caveats because it's IMDB, but there are cast listings for "Ancient Temple Guard"
Also, who hires CCH Pounder or Joe Morton for cameos only? I want there to be more of them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Failson posted:

Still reflecting.

Really want to know how much of this movie is on the cutting room floor, especially since it's been doing test screenings for so long.

It felt like the studio wanted a "family" movie, which wasn't what I was expecting after Skull Island was downright mean in places (and only gets better each rewatch), and from a director mostly known for horror.

Caveats because it's IMDB, but there are cast listings for "Ancient Temple Guard"
Also, who hires CCH Pounder or Joe Morton for cameos only? I want there to be more of them.

Supposedly, the director's cut of the movie is 3 hours long.

So round about 40 minutes was cut.

If we'll ever see the full version, no clue. Hopefully

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
It's clear that at least *some* footage was left on the floor (Madison trying to contact Monarch by radio, for example), but I always take the "Movie's running time +1h director's cut!" thing with a grain of salt, especially since it's not like you really ever see those actually get released anymore.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Found this in a fan group, a possible future spoiler. I guess don't click this unless you want to wildly speculate on implications.

https://imgur.com/W993lym

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still not a full review, but of the four people who went and watched with me, three liked it. (My dad, meanwhile, fell asleep, but that's normal for him nowadays; he does it when sitting for long periods to watch things he likes even, so not much can be read into that.) None were big Godzilla fans, and I don't think any had seen 2014. Not sure if any have seen any Godzilla movies, in fact.

Which I think might be an example of why the movie isn't doing great in the box office, really. I was the one who got everyone to see it, so while they all liked it, if I hadn't been pushing for it it's likely none would have gone to see it. I feel like that might be a common situation; it's not a Marvel movie, a sequel to something that was already crazy-successful, or part of an IP that has huge pull in the US. Godzilla doesn't have a huge built-in fanbase, and 2014 might have actually hurt KOTM; if someone didn't like 2014, or didn't see it at all and figured KOTM was a sequel, they probably avoided it too. (It is a sequel, of course, but it can be watched on its own too.) So you get mostly-positive audience reviews from Godzilla fans, people said fans convinced to join them, and people who saw it on a whim, but most people just aren't seeing it. Or anything else, since it still topped the box office this weekend apparently.

Anyway, nth-ing the Mothra love and the wish she got more screentime. Definitely the overall favorite of my group.

HannibalBarca posted:

It's clear that at least *some* footage was left on the floor (Madison trying to contact Monarch by radio, for example), but I always take the "Movie's running time +1h director's cut!" thing with a grain of salt, especially since it's not like you really ever see those actually get released anymore.

Apparently there was also a cut credits scene of Dr. Chen and Dr. Ling walking into a temple where there would be a new Mothra egg and a couple of young twins singing to it, as a more overt reference to them being this universe's take on the Shobijin, among other things, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fair amount beyond that too.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 3, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Waffle House posted:

Found this in a fan group, a possible future spoiler. I guess don't click this unless you want to wildly speculate on implications.

https://imgur.com/W993lym

...Is it possible to preorder GvK tickets yet?1

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Godzilla vs King Kong vs Mecha King Ghidorah vs MechaGodzilla

GET HYPE!!!!!!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The family and I went to the movie. One of our sons and myself enjoyed KotM, but the wife and other son hated it.

Love all the titans and I hope we see KKvsG.

The movie would have been great if the entire family BS had been dropped and it was just world building, monarch, eco terrorists, and the titans.

Edit: It is literally a Godzilla movie down to the lovely human stuff. A true love letter.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Instead of a bunch of exposition telling you that Godzilla is a god

-zillaaaaaaaa

Rodan
Sep 24, 2002
Florida Gator
I enjoyed it a lot, but can't disagree with a lot of the criticism. It was clearly made by Godzilla fans for Godzilla fans, but along they way they lost the bigger picture of simply making a good movie. The human story was muddy and exposition heavy, but I didn't find it as offensively bad as some obviously did.

I did miss the relative realism and excellent use of scale from G14, but otherwise the monster action was excellent.

All in all, it felt like a latter-era Showa movie remade in 2019 with a $200 budget. Hopefully overseas box office carries it enough that we might see more after GvK. I don't subscribe to the theory that Godzilla movies can't be hugely successful. You just have to make a good movie which sends people home happy.

One thing that did really bother me. Why the hell is there a MUTO that isn't instantly attacked by Godzilla? That seems like a huge continuity error or at least inconsistency with G14 and the canon graphic novel that just came out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Probably very tired- also it's just a Female Muto. Without a male, she can't breed and isn't a huge threat to him or the ecosystem.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Stairmaster posted:

why the ufck did the movie go to boston when washington dc had more interesting things for the monsters to smash in their battle god this movies so bad

Makes me wonder if Godzilla vs Kong vs Destroyah/MechaGhidorah will be in NYC

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Failson posted:

It was especially weird since Joe Morton is carrying over the role of Dr. Houston Brooks who was played by Corey Hawkins in Skull Island. I totally missed that connection and I can't remember if the character even mentioned Kong in this film.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was especially weird since Joe Morton is carrying over the role of Dr. Houston Brooks who was played by Corey Hawkins in Skull Island. I totally missed that connection and I can't remember if the character even mentioned Kong in this film.

He didn’t but him being a proponent of Hollow Earth is talked about in KOTM, and Kong is directly talked about and listed offhand when they’re running through all the kaiju Monarch is monitoring and who are on their way to Ghidorah. Every time they showed the big map I honed in on Kong, who looks like he only made it about halfway to the west coast before they calmed everybody down (and he presumably turned around and went home)

I dunno, I don’t know why he’d mention Kong. That was his first encounter but he’s 40 years and like 20 deep in close and personal kaiju experiences at this point, most of them way bigger than Kong. I’d imagine San Francisco being wiped off the map by Godzilla and the two MUTOs cutting a swath across the Southwest probably puts the memory of his island romp to shame

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is the movie out in Japan already? How are they taking it?

Really the one thing I'm sad about is that pacific rim + godzilla + king kong will never happen. Though after PR2 perhaps that's for the best.

Peacoffee posted:

With how much movies cost it astounds me people pay to go and then walk out at all. Like I get having to piss during a movie every once in awhile because that’s how it goes. Falling asleep or going to get food though seems like it’s at odds with caring enough to have an opinion at all.
The theater I go to has matinee tickets for six bucks. There's affordable smaller locations in a lot of places.

Roland Jones posted:

Apparently there was also a cut credits scene of Dr. Chen and Dr. Ling walking into a temple where there would be a new Mothra egg and a couple of young twins singing to it, as a more overt reference to them being this universe's take on the Shobijin, among other things, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fair amount beyond that too.
That's a big bummer because that scene is what I was hoping the post credits scene was going to be after Mothra did her shonen anime heroic sacrifice into her remains powering up the protagonist move

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Captain Invictus posted:

That's a big bummer because that scene is what I was hoping the post credits scene was going to be after Mothra did her shonen anime heroic sacrifice into her remains powering up the protagonist move

Yeah plus it's only fair. The newspaper (website, I guess) at the end implied it enough-- but I think very few people will catch on about the two scientists being two different scientists without a scene like that so it would've been double nice.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

For curiosity’s sake has anyone yet timed how much the monsters are on screen this time?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mandrel posted:

I dunno, I don’t know why he’d mention Kong.

To help the audience realise he's the same character played by that other actor in the Kong movie which I somehow completely missed when I was watching the film.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Pros:

- hollow earth confirmed
- Boston is destroyed.

Cons:

- Boston is evacuated first

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That was loving great!

Random note: is the 50 Foot Woman a kaiju? Monsters vs Aliens seems to agree.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mantis42 posted:

I paid 5 dollars for my ticket.

I didn't realize it right away but my son and I just walked right in and nobody checked our tickets. I could have gotten in for free

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Random note: is the 50 Foot Woman a kaiju? Monsters vs Aliens seems to agree.

Susan in Monsters vs Aliens is only 49'11" tall, that puts her in a completely different category. :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My first observation is that the left head is the dumb one.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

There's so much to like in this movie, but holy hell am I tired of Mr. Too drat Dad Energy characters. Especially here, where there seems to be an interesting cast of ensemble characters that would honestly be fun without him.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I had the same reaction.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lefty was cool and I just loved the fact that the heads had distinct personalities.

I loved this big, dumb, stupid movie with all my heart. The human plotline was compelling enough. The only character I hated was Rick Stanton, since literally every line out of his mouth was a quip. He wasn't a character, he just made awful jokes and drank a few times. The monsters were all great, the action scenes were fun, and I was really into Sherizawa's whole arc, possibly because I rewatched the original Godzilla a few days earlier.

It's definitely not perfect but it was extremely fun and those ending credits were incredibly cool and full of world building that I hope we get to see.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Who the gently caress is starscream and why is Rodan compared to him

Also I took a piss and got back when mothra was hovering over Godzilla's resting spot, what did I miss right before that? Last I'd seen of her was in a cocoon with the ziyi twin and miles Dyson watching her re-awaken

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

A giant flying rear end in a top hat who switches sides at the drop of a hat depending on who's the scariest.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mastershakeman posted:

It's kind of incredible that you don't know who starscream is, how old are you? He's the poster child for incredibly smug, backstabbing, overambitious flyboys, rodan in this movie fits him to a T

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

It's kind of incredible that you don't know who starscream is, how old are you? He's the poster child for incredibly smug, backstabbing, overambitious flyboys, rodan in this movie fits him to a T

People who didn't grow up with the Transformers cartoon(i.e. anyone under 30) have no idea who Starscream is, sorry to make you feel old.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, which is why I asked how old they were, it wasn't an insult or anything, but more that on this forum where a lot of over-30 folks post they have never seen him mentioned. Anyways, he's the go-to ridiculously ambitious relatively powerful underling who is just waiting for the moment of weakness to strike and take over, but is an utter coward when shown he is weaker.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Pteranodon Starscream you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Basebf555 posted:

People who didn't grow up with the Transformers cartoon(i.e. anyone under 30) have no idea who Starscream is, sorry to make you feel old.

There's been Transformers cartoons going nonstop on TV ever since the 80s, at least half of which have a Starscream or a close analogue