Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just buy it after it comes out if you must know everything about the game and let the Kojima faithful play it while going haha wtf why did I buy this along with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Bedshaped posted:

Is it typical to know this little about how a game plays or the basic mechanics function with a bit over 5 months to release?

Tbh I can’t think of a single game I knew how it plays until it came out and I played it. I mean what do you expect to know this far out?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

Tbh I can’t think of a single game I knew how it plays until it came out and I played it. I mean what do you expect to know this far out?

I feel like we've got more than enough from a few gameplay and story trailers. This isn't super opaque like The Phantom Pain's first trailer (which owned so hard).

It's pretty clear that the game is:

- set in some post-cataclysmic dystopian United States (ghosts?)
- is a 3rd person open world stealth game where killing is discouraged
- it's full of kojima brand bullshit
- has a focus on world traversal using methods that aren't the usual hold up to climb. Will this be annoying? No one knows. Looks like it will be a subjective call for the player.
- you will need to collect and deliver items for reasons
- Die-Hardman

Sounds awesome.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

We don't really know what the core gameplay loop is yet, and the game is out in six months. We only have scraps: you travel long distances, navigate difficult terrain, escape other humans and invisible monster things, death takes you to some other world you need to fight your way back from (?), you can shoot gun. Six months before MGSV's release we knew about its mission structure, free roam, and base management, and how they worked together. We had like an hour of gameplay demos showing how missions played.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
He wants the core gameplay loop to be a surprise for maximum effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNJi0CzfodI

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a picture so cursed they found it in a mummy's tomb

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The gameplay we have seen looks.. Rough. The fighting for example looks stiff and janky, like assassin's creed 1 janky. A lot can happen in 6 months, sure, but the combat shown looks like it took place in a designers test area, or something.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
i think all his games are kinda janky to be honest but I always have fun with the gameplay itself. so i'm down for whatever his take on package delivery through a ghost infested wasteland ends up being.

Donovan Trip posted:

The gameplay we have seen looks.. Rough. The fighting for example looks stiff and janky, like assassin's creed 1 janky. A lot can happen in 6 months, sure, but the combat shown looks like it took place in a designers test area, or something.

the animation was similar to the last couple kojima games imo. like they could have been lifted from mgs5.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
MGSV feels extremely good to move around in, I don’t think they’ll suddenly start sucking at gameplay

What I’m seeing in the trailer looks to me less like jank and more like normal humans being weighed down by hundred pound backpacks and fighting realistically clumsily as a result.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sam did pull a nice little juke that got him an opening to pick up the parcel that got knocked off of him. Didn't look clunky.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spite posted:

i think all his games are kinda janky to be honest

Lol

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

idk man it looks really good and something i'd expect from kojima. i was giggling when norman reedus tried to sneak around those dudes then started booking it. and in the next cut he's boxing people and hitting someone with a briefcase. AAA gaming at its finest.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

It's a shame MGSV didn't have more development time to improve the Africa region, because the Afghanistan portion is awesome to play in and the experience of getting around and fighting is very smooth. If it had open world coop it would be game of all years.

So far I think the combat in the DS trailers looks fine. You aren't a trained soldier with a private army, you are a delivery guy doing a job, so being a bit janky makes sense. It seems like the player will want to get away from combat or risk losing delivery items, but with any luck we will be able to extend ladders into people.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I meant janky as in the animation had weird hiccups when he was punching dudes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

I got you, I think that will be a product of the current build.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JBP posted:

Just buy it after it comes out if you must know everything about the game and let the Kojima faithful play it while going haha wtf why did I buy this along with me.

I expect to be going omg this is fantastic as I play it, as I have during every Hideo Kojima game

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gripweed posted:

I expect to be going omg this is fantastic as I play it, as I have during every Hideo Kojima game

Me too I'm just joking I can't wait

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I do hope and expect some of the ideas from SH make their way in.

Now I'm wondering what Silent Hills would have played like.

In my restless dreams i see that game... silent hills. I hoped konami would take me there again some day, but they never did...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
My dumb bet/spec is that mads hosed everything up and cloned a baby to trip into the afterlife for reason but hosed up and caused the afterlife to death strand and i bet the baby is either sam or higgs.

I dunno.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Cant quite figure out bionic woman tho, old bw is president bridget and young bw is amelie but they dont seem like they are meant to be the same person and they are hiding the face of sams wife which makes me think amelie is sams wife and bridgets daughter. Maybe.

Or she is THE 6TH CLONE OF BIG BOSS, GASIOUS SNAKE.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The baby is you.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

My dumb bet/spec is that mads hosed everything up and cloned a baby to trip into the afterlife for reason but hosed up and caused the afterlife to death strand and i bet the baby is either sam or higgs.

I dunno.

Higgs is actually Liquid Sam.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

my guess is that the BBs are the person carrying them, like a clone or time displacement situation.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
It seems to be the way you recover after dying - the fetus is your clone and ages rapidly through the time distortion. Not sure what happens to the memories, though.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Just as raiden was every whiney msg fan, the baby is you the player. You are killing yourself for videogame achievements, you dumb babies are the solution to feeling alienated and making your world better by just forging real connections.
The babies are also being corrupted by a weird foreign dude with brain problems who acts like your dad and a badass while being a big dork who tells you to clean your room.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

my guess is that the BBs are the person carrying them, like a clone or time displacement situation.

I thought that was implied from pretty early on, with Sam sitting in the middle of a void out stark naked. Together with the rain that speeds up time, I just assumed that it's a protection against that sort of thing so that they don't have to get another agent to do the work if one gets popped.

Gameplay wise it'll probably just be an excuse for why you can get killed but not have the game just end there and then.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Hey guys I think I figured out what BT stands for. Based on BBs meaning bridge babies I think BTs stands for bridge travelers. What do you guys think?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's Beached Things.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Bonus Tits.

You'll regret your words and deeds, plus the fact that you only have two hands.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of tits. This appears to be the first Kojima game where the female characters don't inexplicably have their tits hanging out. Turns out in the Koj may have been the one who was ashamed of his words & deeds after all.

Still plenty of face licking tho.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Speaking of tits. This appears to be the first Kojima game where the female characters don't inexplicably have their tits hanging out. Turns out in the Koj may have been the one who was ashamed of his words & deeds after all.

You know we are going to get a cutscene of Mama breastfeeding a time baby.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You see that pair of tits there in the distance? You can climb those.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

veni veni veni posted:

There were no tits hanging out in MGS2

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

There were no tits hanging out in MGS2

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Blobwhale Tech

Bottlebaby Backup

You're welcome.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
New guy at Digital Foundry looks at Death Stranding trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZy5tRactw

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

AlphaKeny1 posted:

idk man it looks really good and something i'd expect from kojima. i was giggling when norman reedus tried to sneak around those dudes then started booking it. and in the next cut he's boxing people and hitting someone with a briefcase. AAA gaming at its finest.

I like that you can hit people with the briefcase. I hope it means improvised weapons as in you just hit with whatever is in your hands.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Donovan Trip posted:

That seemed intentional.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Cowman posted:

I like that you can hit people with the briefcase. I hope it means improvised weapons as in you just hit with whatever is in your hands.

cant wait for post apocalyptic ladder matches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coolness Averted posted:

cant wait for post apocalyptic ladder matches

I just realized that there is a 100 percent chance that you'll be able to take out a bird by standing underneath it and extending your ladder