Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

some handy promotional text posted:

Outer Wilds is an open world mystery about a solar system trapped in an endless time loop.

Welcome to the Space Program!
You’re the newest recruit of Outer Wilds Ventures, a fledgling space program searching for answers in a strange, constantly evolving solar system.

Mysteries of the Solar System...
What lurks in the heart of the ominous Dark Bramble? Who built the alien ruins on the Moon? Can the endless time loop be stopped? Answers await you in the most dangerous reaches of space.

Created by Mobius Digital / Annapurna Interactive

Do you like open-ended exploration with some light puzzling and a gorgeous soundtrack? Do you like reading graffiti left by a long-extinct alien race? Do you like anglerfish? Do you hate anglerfish? Outer Wilds might be the game for you!

who do I throw my money at?

Game's $25 on Xbox One and PC. (Yes, it's Epic store only for now, yes, I know, don't poo poo the thread.) Good news, it's now on Steam, too!

what's the deal with the DLC?

it seamlessly integrates into the base game by adding a new, huge, self-contained place to explore. (check the museum for a hint to get you started!) it can be done at any point, but you'll get a little more out of it if you save it for after you've explored everything else!

so is this just a walking simulator?

Nope. You've got a spaceship and a jetpack, and plenty of freedom to use both. And plenty of freedom to go too fast and crash into a planet at 1000 m/s!

I wanna see some more promotional material.

Sure, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKJUMMCJvGM

Misc. Tip

There IS one thing I feel comfortable spoiling; just because it's an insane quality of life upgrade that's easy to miss.

Talk to Gabbro twice and he'll teach you how to meditate; which lets you skip to the end of the loop while keeping all your ship log discoveries. To get the option, you have to visit him in a loop after the one you first meet him in.

:siren:FINAL PSA:siren:

the whole point of the game is the fun of discovery, so please be liberal with your spoiler tags!

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

It's important to avoid spoilers but I will say that one mid/late?-game solution required me to look up a spoiler (which I haven't tested so maybe it's wrong) because I tried doing the correct thing and it didn't work, making me think the answer was something else entirely. So... uh, if something doesn't work maybe try it a second time before moving on?

Mid-game question about the comet: I figured out how to get in the comet through the melting ice but don't understand how to get past the ghost cloud in the big hole. Did I miss another route? or is there some other means to progress, because my interpretation of the area makes me think that I am going in the correct way.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zachack posted:

It's important to avoid spoilers but I will say that one mid/late?-game solution required me to look up a spoiler (which I haven't tested so maybe it's wrong) because I tried doing the correct thing and it didn't work, making me think the answer was something else entirely. So... uh, if something doesn't work maybe try it a second time before moving on?

Mid-game question about the comet: I figured out how to get in the comet through the melting ice but don't understand how to get past the ghost cloud in the big hole. Did I miss another route? or is there some other means to progress, because my interpretation of the area makes me think that I am going in the correct way.

If you got to where I think you did then in the room with the ghost matter hole you actually need to jump up above where the ice shoot slides you out. There's another ledge up there with a passage that leads further in.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 3, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zachack posted:

yeah, there's a single pretty linear route through the comet. just keep your eyes peeled; you'll know when you've found the end.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't completed the game yet and I'm still uncovering a lot of things, and I haven't even been to Dark Bramble yet at all so I'm going to avoid all spoilers but wow I love this game. It's just wonderful in every way!

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Been playing this off and on since it came out; I expect I am about 90% of the way through and I absolutely love it. The world has a very pleasant scale to it, where things are both easy to find as you cruise around the solar system, while still feeling like you are exploring. The puzzles that exist are more just learning how to work the alien tech you find, and learning about the overall history of the solar system. The engine also does some really nifty things with physics since you are on a bunch of microplanets.

There is no hand holding whatsoever. Your ship has a computer that will help you organize what you have seen and how it relates to each other, but no quest markers. Extremely refreshing all around, and well worth it at $25, a complete bargain at $15.

I hope somebody at Cyan takes notice, this is kind of the perfect mix of Cosmic Osmo and Myst.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
One thing I wish this game had was a way to get back to the ship quickly*, of all things. If I'm on my second visit to an area because there is still more to find, and get what I want, the trek to the ship (if it's even in the vicinity) plus travelling time to another place will take quite a bit. Plus, you know, waiting for the imminent death of the galaxy.

*A suicide button

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

One thing I wish this game had was a way to get back to the ship quickly*, of all things. If I'm on my second visit to an area because there is still more to find, and get what I want, the trek to the ship (if it's even in the vicinity) plus travelling time to another place will take quite a bit. Plus, you know, waiting for the imminent death of the galaxy.

okay, i'm still going to spoiler this just to be ultra-safe; this is a cool moment but it's so easy to miss and has an insane impact on your quality of your life that it should probably be base functionality. hell, i'm adding it to the OP.

Talk to Gabbro. He can teach you how to meditate; which lets you skip to the end of a loop without resetting your log progress. You either need to talk to him twice to get the option, or talk to him in a loop after the one you first met him in.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 3, 2019

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

dmboogie posted:

okay, i'm still going to spoiler this just to be ultra-safe; this is a cool moment but it's so easy to miss and has an insane impact on your quality of your life it should probably be base functionality. hell, i'm adding it to the OP.

Talk to Gabbro. He can teach you how to meditate; which lets you skip to the end of a loop without resetting your log progress. You either need to talk to him twice to get the option, or talk to him in a loop after the one you first met him in.

drat that's handy! My way of purposefully ending loops so far has been to either fly into the sun or smack myself into the side of a planet.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Goddamit. Thanks!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Hey, turns out quote isn't edit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Stickied as Game of the Month because this title owns hard and may fly under many people's the radar. I'm loving it. The tiny Little Prince planets are cute.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Was really confused until I realized this thread isn’t for obsidian’s “fallout in space”. :downs:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
This game loving owns and is an easy contender for GotY. Look up absolutely nothing beyond the basic premise of being a spaceman exploring space.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I was trying to think why I liked this game and one thing I came up with was how There Is No Background. Everything is foreground. Its the opposite of the PSX era Final Fantasies I guess. There you had these beautiful pre-rendered maps with lots of pretty lights and colours you want to chase after but you can't. You have to follow signposts and Keep Off The Grass.

But in the Outer Wilds if you see a cool place you can go there. Right now and really fast. Just remember to hit the Match Velocity button or you'll only be there very briefly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you can also just pick quit from the pause menu and it ends the loop :shrug:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Does that save your progression in the ship's log?

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
Tip for those of you attempting to get to the Black Hole Forge:

At the north pole of Brittle Hollow, there are streams where the ice cap has melted a little. look around that area until you hear running water, there's a small cave opening that acts as a short cut into the Hanging City. Makes it way quicker to get down in there!

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

This game is one of my favourites of many years. I did not know there was an autopilot for the majority of the game because I can't read. Buy it and finish it, it is extremely good!

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Anything involving quantum so far has been super freaky and I dread visiting the moon

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

jjac posted:

Anything involving quantum so far has been super freaky and I dread moon visiting the

(taking a snapshot in case this post decides to scramble itself)

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I am addicted to this game. I keep discovering new branches by accident while trying to complete others. The atmosphere, design, everything just works super well and it runs like a dream on my One X. I just want to find out what happened to Feldspar ASAP because I am intrigued as hell.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

holy god im like an hour? in or something and this is crazy. im currently wandering around the hollow planet thing and no idea what the hell is happening, but the usual loop thing happened and now i need to get back there to keep going. and yeah the feldspar poo poo is intriguing,

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
My wife and I like to play some singleplayer story/puzzle games together taking turns in the seat. Do you guys think this game would be fun and engaging for the person watching? Considering picking this one up for sure.

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 3, 2019

Anzat
Dec 3, 2003
There can be only NONE!

DarkAvenger211 posted:

My wife and I like to play some singleplayer story/puzzle games together taking turns in the seat. Do you guys think this game would be fun and engaging for the person watching watching? Considering picking this one up for sure.

This would be something great for 'couch co-op'. Because of the nature of the game it has natural breaks in it to switch back and forth.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

My wife and I like to play some singleplayer story/puzzle games together taking turns in the seat. Do you guys think this game would be fun and engaging for the person watching watching? Considering picking this one up for sure.
A big part of this game is a mechanic that is actually perfect for taking turns playing it so I'd say definitely go for it. Also I can imagine the title being engaging when watching the other person play because he/she discovers things that you can then use when it's your turn.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This game owns holy crap. Why isn't it blowing up?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Oldstench posted:

This game owns holy crap. Why isn't it blowing up?

Probably because gamers hate the EGS.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
This game is great, perfect way to chill with a beer. There's a nice balance between direction in the ship log and just exploring. Its very hard to articulate why I enjoy it so much. I guess I'm just over all the procedurally generated stuff; its a nice change to explore a hand crafted universe that is so well connected.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'm sad because at some point I'll be done and won't have more things to find :(

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Pylons posted:

Probably because gamers hate the EGS.

What is EGS?

e: oh the Epic store?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Oldstench posted:

What is EGS?

e: oh the Epic store?

Yeah.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So, question regarding the home planet, but late game. Does anyone know the point of the poem in the grove? I'm trying to figure out what exactly needs to be done there and its wrecking my brain.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Anyone getting Unity crashes while using the scout?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

GenderSelectScreen posted:

So, question regarding the home planet, but late game. Does anyone know the point of the poem in the grove? I'm trying to figure out what exactly needs to be done there and its wrecking my brain.

I think I completed the game with nothing telling me there was further stuff to explore, so I don't think there's actually anything to solve necessarily. It's just to show you something in that area can do some freaky poo poo

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I do not understand how the White Hole Station works at all. I routinely fall into the Black Hole at the Hanging City and end up here, read the instructions, and nothing happens. Am I standing in the wrong spot? Am I missing something?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Is there a way to deal with the cacti y/n?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ziji posted:

I do not understand how the White Hole Station works at all. I routinely fall into the Black Hole at the Hanging City and end up here, read the instructions, and nothing happens. Am I standing in the wrong spot? Am I missing something?

Light spoiler: You haven't actually turned the station on

Full spoiler: You can use the lifts on the side to go to a lower floor and get the station actually rotating. Once it is, stand in the center of the upper floor, look up, and wait for the station to line up with Brittle Hollow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just found out this is on gamepass and I'm having a bunch of fun with it. Not sure how the loops play into it but it's neat.