Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
gently caress

quote:

“Oh no question, Charlotte’s definitely my first priority,” he said. “That’s where I’ve been for eight years and that’s all I know. Not many people get a chance to play for one NBA team throughout their career. When I go on my Instagram, I see, ‘Kemba leave! Kemba get out of Charlotte!’ People don’t understand, when they say you need to go ‘here’ and win, that winning is not guaranteed anywhere.”

Walker doesn’t seem too concerned with playing for a big market. He doesn’t like using social media because he doesn’t “need people to know what I’m doing all the time,” and says, “I could care less about my brand.” He’s heard the reports that teams like New York and Dallas may be lining up to make a max offer, and he’s heard even more speculation that a return to his hometown plays to his heart. But he cherishes how his career and relationship with his new home have flourished.

“Charlotte is my home, man,” Walker said. “I’ve been there for eight years and it’s been the most amazing eight years of my life. My family, they love it. The fans love me. The organization has been great and gave me my opportunity.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

morestuff posted:

gently caress

kemba seems like a rad dude.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I’m sure that’s genuine but it’s also just smart negotiating. Pressure is on Charlotte now to pony up

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

morestuff posted:

gently caress

That's Kemba's way of saying that his supermax strangling the Hornets' capspace for the next 5 years doesn't bother him lol. Which it shouldn't!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like Kemba a lot, people throw him around as somone to be disappointed signing but there's a lot worse out there. But yeah the supermax is a lot of money. Although I guess at least Charlotte might end up with one of the better supermax players?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

I like Kemba a lot, people throw him around as somone to be disappointed signing but there's a lot worse out there. But yeah the supermax is a lot of money. Although I guess at least Charlotte might end up with one of the better supermax players?

It’s tough because as a player and as a person you really couldn’t ask for anything more. He’s worked hard to turn himself into a top-20 player, he seems humble and he’s a lot of fun to watch. Charlotte’s just going to be incredibly boned cap-wise for the rest of his prime, have a poo poo team around him and are probably going to be paying him $40M a year well into his decline

Like this summer to stay out of the tax they’re probably going to let Jeremy Lamb (their second-best player) walk, decline Tony Parker’s option, and still need to attach a pick or two to trade away Marvin Williams, MKG or Biyombo. They have Batum left for two years, who quit on the team so dramatically that he had a 4.4% usage rate in March.

They might be OK if they can talk Kemba into punting on next season, play him and the young guys, and revamp once some of these bad contracts start coming off the books. Instead I’m they’re probably going to trade a bunch of picks for like Hassan Whiteside and gently caress themselves up even more.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

It’s tough because as a player and as a person you really couldn’t ask for anything more. He’s worked hard to turn himself into a top-20 player, he seems humble and he’s a lot of fun to watch. Charlotte’s just going to be incredibly boned cap-wise for the rest of his prime, have a poo poo team around him and are probably going to be paying him $40M a year well into his decline

Like this summer to stay out of the tax they’re probably going to let Jeremy Lamb (their second-best player) walk, decline Tony Parker’s option, and still need to attach a pick or two to trade away Marvin Williams, MKG or Biyombo. They have Batum left for two years, who quit on the team so dramatically that he had a 4.4% usage rate in March.

They might be OK if they can talk Kemba into punting on next season, play him and the young guys, and revamp once some of these bad contracts start coming off the books. Instead I’m they’re probably going to trade a bunch of picks for like Hassan Whiteside and gently caress themselves up even more.

Look at the sunny side, the lottery changes mean charlotte has much higher chances at top prospects as a fringe east playoff team. And now they have a GM with a history of finding good players throughout the draft

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

Look at the sunny side, the lottery changes mean charlotte has much higher chances at top prospects as a fringe east playoff team. And now they have a GM with a history of finding good players throughout the draft

I want to believe in Mitch but this summer will really be a challenge. On the bright side they still have this cornball for 48 games a season

https://twitter.com/codyzeller/status/1134950572791074820?s=21

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i just remembered the existence of tyler hands bro and i looked up to see what he's up to and he's professionally elbowing people in the Chinese league.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

R.D. Mangles posted:

i just remembered the existence of tyler hands bro and i looked up to see what he's up to and he's professionally elbowing people in the Chinese league.

heres the greatest thing bro hands was ever involved in

this gif doesnt quite capture it but he turns around to throw down with whoever's behind him then realizes it's ron artest

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chunkles posted:

heres the greatest thing bro hands was ever involved in

this gif doesnt quite capture it but he turns around to throw down with whoever's behind him then realizes it's ron artest

oh i'm aware

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Speaking of MWP, he is training Kyle Kuzma for defense this summer which is a brand new work out guru but a potentially interesting one, like it's easier to teach defense than it is to teach what Hakeem and Kobe are doing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rick posted:

Speaking of MWP, he is training Kyle Kuzma for defense this summer which is a brand new work out guru but a potentially interesting one, like it's easier to teach defense than it is to teach what Hakeem and Kobe are doing.

he's going to toughen him up by taking him to a pickup game where someone gets stabbed with a table leg.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rick posted:

I looked him up and he’s player development coach for the G league. I’m happy for him, I really hope that his substance and mental health issues are under control in a sustainable way

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Artest was an amazing defender, one of the smartest defenders I've ever watched. There's a ton players can learn from him.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Rick posted:

It also probably isn't going to take a miracle to improve Kuz's defense, it's so bad that MWP can just teach him really basic poo poo and it'll help immensely.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1135086188702896128?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/BR_NBA/status/1135277071930929158?s=19

I dunno that I buy that they outright told him he's not a priority but I could believe they told him they were looking at other point guards and he might not be be back. They'd be dumb not to try to upgrade the position given how awful he was last year. He was also pretty pissed off that they tried to trade him at the deadline.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I kind of wonder where Rubio lands, his numbers are trending downward and weren't that good to begin with. But there's so much money out there.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Rick posted:

I kind of wonder where Rubio lands, his numbers are trending downward and weren't that good to begin with. But there's so much money out there.

there is no better fit than The Chicago Bulls

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Aye Doc posted:

there is no better fit than The Chicago Bulls

gently caress, as if Bulls fans haven't been through enough. They just got rid of Jabari Parker's bricklaying and now you want to give them Ricky Rubio. What a terrible thing to wish on them.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

MourningView posted:

I dunno that I buy that they outright told him he's not a priority but I could believe they told him they were looking at other point guards and he might not be be back. They'd be dumb not to try to upgrade the position given how awful he was last year. He was also pretty pissed off that they tried to trade him at the deadline.

They probably told him 'we would like you back, but we won't be offering you a contract on day one of free agency'. Anyone can read between the lines on that one as 'not a priority'.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Who’s ready for cryptic tweet season?

https://twitter.com/blakegriffin23/status/1135287061429309442?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheTraeYoung/status/1135296951430389763?s=20

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
blake to atlanta I BELIEVE

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I'd like to believe that Ricky can play better than he did in Utah. He was one of the best passers in the league when he was in Minnesota, even if he didn't do much else on offense. I miss his crazy no-looks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_NA7xIlo6Q

edit: ahhh this is the one I was thinking of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S68Pp4o0cg

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 3, 2019

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
First season in Utah everyone seemed to love him, this season everyone has been down on him. I don't really get it, he's still the same player and the team is still just as good when he's on the floor.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Ricky should sign in Minnesota now that Thibs is gone imo

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

If I was a famous NBA player, I would do tweets like this all the time just to gently caress with people.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tanglewood1420 posted:

First season in Utah everyone seemed to love him, this season everyone has been down on him. I don't really get it, he's still the same player and the team is still just as good when he's on the floor.

He was not the same guy. He had a career year as a shooter his first season and then regressed back to garbage this year. If he'd kept making 35% of his threes everyone would probably still like him. His Win Shares went from 5.3 to 3.7, his VORP dropped from 2.1 to 0.9 and he went from a slight positive OBPM to a negative. He was getting outplayed by Neto for a big chunk of the year. He's still a good defender but he plays the least valuable defensive position and any team starting Gobert is going to have a good defense anyway.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ChickenMedium posted:

If I was a famous NBA player, I would do tweets like this all the time just to gently caress with people.

I would follow and unfollow players on social media around offseasons.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, Rubio was a really big reason Utah weathered the 17-18 season as well as they did and was a pretty important cog getting to the 2nd round that season. This year he was pretty bad across the board. I think Utah might be cutting bait a little quickly, but like MV said they probably need an upgrade there even if Rubio plays better anyway. Rubio is a pretty bad backcourt pairing with Mitchell anyway.

He'd be a pretty good stopgap option for the Suns or a short stint with the Bulls to unlock Lauri. He might be a good bench option for a bunch of teams needing a tertiary creator.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They only got him in the first place because they were trying to convince Hayward to stay and he supposedly wanted to play with Rubio. It was always a pretty bad fit for a team that needs shooting, but him having a career year from three helped hide that for a bit

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Bazemore, Plumlee, #8 and/or #10 works.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Kyrie gonna get tested by the league.
https://twitter.com/BDCCeltics/status/1135240605758578688?s=19

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Is he selling that fancy bonded water that's in the back of the PopSci magazine now?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Bazemore, Plumlee, #8 and/or #10 works.

even though this is a weak draft, two firsts is a bit much for a 30 year old blake griffin who will be pretty far out of his prime by the time they’re ready to contend

also that collins/griffin frontcourt would be v bad defensively

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

even though this is a weak draft, two firsts is a bit much for a 30 year old blake griffin who will be pretty far out of his prime by the time they’re ready to contend

also that collins/griffin frontcourt would be v bad defensively

I’d take that in a heartbeat but more than maybe any other team I never really feel like I know what Detroit is doing

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If Rubio gets traded to the Bulls I'm probably not gonna bother watching the NBA next season

EDIT: wait I think he's a free agent, he's not going to the Bulls.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Chairchucker posted:

If Rubio gets traded to the Bulls I'm probably not gonna bother watching the NBA next season

EDIT: wait I think he's a free agent, he's not going to the Bulls.

rubio’s going to either the lakers or the knicks as a splashy backup signing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

He'll probably go to the Celtics to replace Kyrie when Kyrie goes to the Knicks and I'll be a bit disappointed but less than if he'd gone to the Bulls.